PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:1 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 21 February 2021

captain666

Some mind numbing football for the first 60 minutes but 3 points is 3 points.
Please no more starts for Martial,he has wrong mentality and attitude and pointless trying to play him back into form,sell this summer.
Pleased for James,at least he gives 100% for us and whilst not the most talented player always harries and chases.
Matic and Shaw excellent.Fred woeful passing and shooting.
GK and 2 CB's are our eternal problem which needs solving before next season.
Delighted Shola got some minutes.

eire-red

It's easy to watch the poor football we've played over the last month or so, and lump this performance in with it. I guess it was a much needed win after travelling in EL, so that is the main positive and a decent result on the back of that.

Having said that, we were lucky it was Newcastle, because we were truly shocking in the first hour or so. Looking back on this season, the most frustrating results for me will be SHU, Everton and West Brom.

Maximum points there and we're still right in the mix. We've just lost a little momentum of late, so hoping we can regain that for a strong final push.

Maticmaker

All the hallmarks of the first game back after a European excursion mid-week.
Sluggish start once again, I wonder what sort of speech (if any) Ole gives them before they leave the dressing room, looks like it might put them to sleep rather than galvanise them!

Martials performances are becoming a real concern now, he is totally out of form, he had one decent shot all the match, but he doesn't look like he is interested in getting involved anywhere at the moment. I suspect Martial needs to go back to basics and Ole needs to take him out of the firing line for bit. We know Martial can be devastating, but he needs desperately to get his mojo back and that has to be done on the training pitch.

Fred's passing at times was dreadful, use to worry about Fellaini giving away free kicks now its Fred losing the ball in vulnerable areas, never mind 'squeaky-bum time' its now 'heart in your mouth' at times, with Fred.

Good performances from Matic, Shaw and especially James, some 'keystone cops' defending/trying to work the ball out again between DeGea/Maguire/Lindelof.

Rashford always looked the part, but up until his goal, he had spurned a number of chances.

For the most part AWB kept Saint-Maxima bottled up, Bruno was 'in and out' with sporadic involvements in the game, but always at crucial points, assist with James goal and of course (are you watching Klopp?) the inevitable penalty.

Solid three points in the end.

OleTheGreat

Another academy graduate gets to head out at OT. Great day for the 240th United graduate to debut for Man United. It was a boring match, we are so boring to watch but we, as usual, get the results and it all looks great on paper once again. I have no clue if these players even train at Carrington or at their own homes. It all looks so uneventful on the pitch and I don't know if we can keep this up against Chelsea, CP, and City in the coming days.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I am so pissed off at having to admit that United bored me... but, they bored me. Little or no spark or flair and, from some (martial) seemingly no interest in being there. Every time Bruno has anything but a worldie, we looked lost (because we are lost). People keep asking why we can't break down defensive teams - the answer, for me, is Ole isn't good enough to come up with a plan.

There were some half decent performances and that's about it but while Ole hasn't got the balls to drop under-performing players, they will go on under performing. Some simply are not good enough for United.

I suppose James' second-half showing was to be applauded and Fred was busy. Shaw would be a sure-fire player of the year winner if Bruno wasn't there and I think Lindelof looked secure. But, boy, I expect more from this club

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Just seen the replay of the Newcastle goal. Maguire should have headed the ball out of play. It seems he just throws his head at the ball and hopes for the best.

He's a terrible header of the ball.
That's pretty funny. He did make a mistake but to say he is a terrible header of the ball, well,....

Sea-Cow

The performance was slow, boring and awful for the majority of the match. But screw it, the 3 points were all that matters as we needed to capitalize on some dropped points around us.

And considering it was after a mid-week tie against good opposition, and that we played 60 minutes or so with 10 men, I think we should be reasonably pleased with the result.

PJS007

I knew we'd be in for a long night once I saw the starting eleven. Poor performance but 3 points. One positive was after James banged in the 2nd goal the Geordies were unbale to put us under anymore pressure we saw out the game well i though albeit with another dubious pen.

redmanx

The first half once again we failed to get going and Newcastle could have been 2 0 up. Much better in the second half, our players, mostly all, seemed to want it. James was very good, Shaw outstanding and Matic solid and dependable finding some great passes. Bruno was Bruno, Rashford scored a great first goal. Less said about Martial the better, but totally agree with Alan Shearers assessment of him. 3 points.

bazza3727

A couple of observations : 1 Maguire can head a ball but does not appear to have the ability to put direction on his heading of the ball. So there will be times like Newcastle's goal when he will head back into the danger zone. It is also a reason why he misses so many goal scoring opportunities from corners and cross balls, his headers lack direction. ( He should look at Cavani's headed goals where he puts direction on the header and not just heading the ball )
2. Teams have scored a number of goals against us this season from between 18 and 25 yards out just like Newcastle's goal, miss- directed clearance out of defence or opposition player collecting the ball and nobody goes towards him either to make a tackle, block or making the shot more difficult.
Number 1 could be over come by coaching, practice and continuous practice. Number two by again coaching, practice, training drills and on field communication by the players themselves.
I was taught many years ago that when heading a ball you need to keep your eyes open and watch it on to your forehead. If you watch most of today's players, especially in slo-mo, they've nearly always got their eyes closed when contact is made and the ball can go anywhere!

giggslover

My biggest concern after getting the 3 points was how widespread the Covid "outbreak" at Old Trafford was. Honestly every player we have is so inconsistent, good one game bad the next, I dont even worry about it anymore.

I think Bruno and maybe Matic are most consistent, Shaw has been good for sometime as well.

I'm blaming the bad performance on our missing 1st team coaches.

gerdm07

You think he's a good header of the ball then? Power is nothing without control.
I know he wins most of the long balls that are hit to his side of the defense. We haven't had a CD like this since Vidic and it's very comforting to know he's there. I want a CD to win the long balls, win crosses and win corners and he is one of the best. That power is great on most crosses and corners.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I know he wins most of the long balls that are hit to his side of the defense. We haven't had a CD like this since Vidic and it's very comforting to know he's there. I want a CD to win the long balls, win crosses and win corners and he is one of the best. That power is great on most crosses and corners.
I'm embarrassed that he's our captain.

Comparing him to Vidic? fecking hell :houllier:

gerdm07

I'm embarrassed that he's our captain.

Comparing him to Vidic? fecking hell :houllier:
As regards heading the ball he is comparable to Vidic.

You said: " He's a terrible header of the ball."

Watch for at least a couple of minutes and tell us again how he is a terrible header of the ball.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
The Magure 'poor at heading' myth is a strange one.

He is that good in the air, that it becomes frustrating not seeing him bag double his current figures.

Incredible ability to win it in both areas - just not lethal. That said, had one ruled out for no reason at Burnley and inches away at WBA from a screamer.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 286 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 26% Man Utd 2:0 Newcastle
  • 24% Man Utd 3:0 Newcastle