PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 4:1 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 11 September 2021

Real Name

First of all atmosphere was amazing from start to finish. Goosebumps. I dont know when was the last time it was like this.
What a 2nd debut for Ronaldo, not just 2 goals but his constant movement, involvement in the buildup, playmaking, everything. We needed someone to score those tap ins and to be in right place at a right time. And his run for the 2nd goal needs to be learned at school.
Overall it was a good game. We needed time to open them up, they defended in numbers. After they equalized we pinned them back again and got rewarded.
Negative is we were too open in the 2nd half few times and they overran us too easily. It wasnt cause of the defense but midfield or when we had too many players upfront.

All in all a special day and something we can build up upon.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Good day to be a United fan
2 goals by Ronaldo
1 goal by magnifico
1 goal by a talented, young academy product
and Giggs getting out of jail
I was just sat in front of Giggs. He did look a bit gloomy.

Sultan

First of all atmosphere was amazing from start to finish. Goosebumps. I dont know when was the last time it was like this.
What a 2nd debut for Ronaldo, not just 2 goals but his constant movement, involvement in the buildup, playmaking, everything. We needed someone to score those tap ins and to be in right place at a right time. And his run for the 2nd goal needs to be learned at school.
Overall it was a good game. We needed time to open them up, they defended in numbers. After they equalized we pinned them back again and got rewarded.
Negative is we were too open in the 2nd half few times and they overran us too easily. It wasnt cause of the defense but midfield or when we had too many players upfront.

All in all a special day and something we can build up upon.
I thought the atmosphere was better during the Leeds game. Today was all about Ronaldo.

Just watched Ronaldo’s post match interview on You Tube but couldn’t hear most of it for the constant chanting of his name and some muppet with a bloody big drum bashing the shit out of it. Do they allow drums into OT now Like some second division club?
He said “Feck anyone who disapproves of the noise”

Sultan

Great result and 3 beautiful goals.
Weirdly, we weren't as dominant as the scoreline suggests, certainly not in terms of chance creation. I'm looking forward to when we are.
Newcastle were awful and just too negative with mostly 10 men behind the ball in a confined space. It was always going to be difficult to get the breakthrough. It was just about probing and once United scored and the gates were always going to open.

tomaldinho1

Great result and 3 beautiful goals.
Weirdly, we weren't as dominant as the scoreline suggests, certainly not in terms of chance creation. I'm looking forward to when we are.
They’re just always a defensive pile of bodies under Bruce but we just kept at it. Was never going to be aesthetically pleasing and we still look quite vulnerable throughout games.

First was poor keeping, second good finish (didn’t think it was that bad keeping as other said), third they just let Bruno have a free shot and he produced a ballistic mistake and fourth was lovely from us to play through them. Onwards.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I think we may see the opposite of what we have seen from United in past Ole years, where we struggled with defensive teams and were quite successful with big teams, because we played counter-attack.

With our current attacking might, we will have little problem against any defense, but our own defensive play is shaky due to having no decent DMF, so when teams do attack us (like Newcastle courageously did today, to their credit) we can be shaky. Hopefully with most teams we will score enough to overcome our defensive problems, but it will be interesting to see how that will work out with top teams.

pav1790

Besides the performance, all the nice things, three points and all; Peter Drury waxing poetic was the best touch possible imo. His commentary on Ronnie's first goal - goosebumps.

Close your eyes and he never went away. Without so much as a "by your leave" Christiano Ronaldo has stolen back the show.

Gordon S

Put a decent central midfield in this team and we are flying!
Hopefully Scotts transformation into prime Darren Fletcher is not too far away.
Nice to see Ronnie score a brace! Off to a great start!

AndyMUFC

What a day in the end. Was like Ronaldo never left.

We were slow in possession first half, Newcastle made it difficult and we don't have many players that run in behind but we obviously got the goal right on half time. Dodgy start to the second with the equaliser but we looked much better after that.

Litch

Great result, Midfield still needs significant work. Matic and Pogs are not a pair.

MrSingh2002

Fortunate enough to be at the game today.

Sancho was the best player in the first 45 mins and was quite direct moving the ball forward.

Varane was a beast throughout and seems to be loving the physical nature of the league, thriving in the aerial challenges and races he gets into.

Greenwood continued his good form and creating shooting opportunities for himself. Was alot to handle for Newcastle.

Matic did well enough on the ball and gave decent balance to give the attackers license to get forward.

Bruno I feel needs to play 10 yards deeper when in possession in order for us to create more from open play and support the midfield two.

The Ronaldo I saw in his peak years at United is no more but he still scored two goals on a huge occasion. The hunger is still there. He looked nervous at the start of the game but settled as soon as he scored just before halftime.

He walked into the tunnel with the crowd chanting his name after scoring. You knew it was showtime after that moment and he turned it on in the second half with glimpses of how we saw him in his prime, drifting to the left and running at defenders.

I feel we get the best out of Ronaldo if Cavani is playing and he plays left wing. We would have to play a midfield 3 in there to cover for his lack of defending but he's still tricky enough to play from the left with a free role.

De Gea
AWB Varane Maguire Shaw
Fernandes Matic Pogba
Greenwood Cavani Ronaldo

Sancho and Rashford should be used in rotation with Greenwood and Ronaldo to ensure all 5 of them stay in peak condition for the season.

Lingard and Martial complete the attacking cover and are playing for their place in the squad going forward.

I think time will show that Ole needs to make tough decisions. Not all the players can play in their best or their preferred positions.

It's all about what's best for the season.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Ronaldo - I haven't watched him much since he went to Juve so was expecting a Kane type, doesn't do much but scores goals type player. Turns out he's actually still just an extremely good player. Movement was as good as Cavani's, got involved constantly in the build up. Very good. Disappointed that he didn't come out of the tunnel as a hologram 18 year old Ronaldo that gradually transformed into Juventus Ronaldo as he walked to the centre circle, and then exploded and current Ronaldo emerges from the flames.

Lingard - Glad he scored after being subbed on in place of Lingard

Lingard - Better than against Wolves and did quite well until being replaced by Lingard.

Matic and Pogba midfield combo - This is the same as not having a midfield. How many more times over do we have to keep learning this? Newcastle were literally just running up the pitch unopposed. This wont end well against basically anyone who isn't Newcastle.

Newcastle goalkeeper - I mean the first half was basically just 45 minutes of him constantly timewasting, and then rendering it all completely pointless by fumbling the ball into his own net at the end.

Newcastle tactics - I know people criticise Ole for not having tactics, but Newcastle's tactics were to just hope they get enough goal kicks to spend ages taking them and hope nothing else happens in between.

Fernandes - I still like that we have a player where as soon as the opposition backed off I thought "he's going to just boot it into the goal now" and then he actually does.

Martial - Shoot. Ronaldo wouldn't be squaring it to you if it was the other way round.

El Zoido

The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th goals were all brilliant.

Wasn’t even a particularly great performance but still blew them away due to sheer firepower. This team is going to score some goals this season, christ. Rashford and Cavani weren’t even available.

mungy

I am a terrible poster, please ignore me
Cannot decribe how emotional it was today, the Ronny feeling was so much to handle and he did it..return of the man! Great time at the stadium.

sparx99

Nearly cried when Ronaldo was announced. Atmosphere was amazing. I’ve not been in such a buoyant atmosphere for so long. Was non-stop from 2hrs before kick off until 2hrs after.

Performance wise we were good. Just need to move the ball faster and we’ll create more chances.

Goku1983

Nearly cried when Ronaldo was announced. Atmosphere was amazing. I’ve not been in such a buoyant atmosphere for so long. Was non-stop from 2hrs before kick off until 2hrs after.

Performance wise we were good. Just need to move the ball faster and we’ll create more chances.
Ive been a United fan 33 years and sadly never seen Ronaldo live everytime I could go to a game which wasnt often sadly he wasnt selected or was injured I really want to go and see him live for the first time soon. As for the game we looked great although I only saw MOTD but its obvious that hole in midfield will cost us in some games but we worry about that when it happens attacking wise we will be great when the chemistry is built back up to speed

Foxbatt

Fortunate enough to be at the game today.

Sancho was the best player in the first 45 mins and was quite direct moving the ball forward.

Varane was a beast throughout and seems to be loving the physical nature of the league, thriving in the aerial challenges and races he gets into.

Greenwood continued his good form and creating shooting opportunities for himself. Was alot to handle for Newcastle.

Matic did well enough on the ball and gave decent balance to give the attackers license to get forward.

Bruno I feel needs to play 10 yards deeper when in possession in order for us to create more from open play and support the midfield two.

The Ronaldo I saw in his peak years at United is no more but he still scored two goals on a huge occasion. The hunger is still there. He looked nervous at the start of the game but settled as soon as he scored just before halftime.

He walked into the tunnel with the crowd chanting his name after scoring. You knew it was showtime after that moment and he turned it on in the second half with glimpses of how we saw him in his prime, drifting to the left and running at defenders.

I feel we get the best out of Ronaldo if Cavani is playing and he plays left wing. We would have to play a midfield 3 in there to cover for his lack of defending but he's still tricky enough to play from the left with a free role.

De Gea
AWB Varane Maguire Shaw
Fernandes Matic Pogba
Greenwood Cavani Ronaldo

Sancho and Rashford should be used in rotation with Greenwood and Ronaldo to ensure all 5 of them stay in peak condition for the season.

Lingard and Martial complete the attacking cover and are playing for their place in the squad going forward.

I think time will show that Ole needs to make tough decisions. Not all the players can play in their best or their preferred positions.

It's all about what's best for the season.
Are you one of them we always see on TV in near the dugout?

Foxbatt

Newcastle was very good in the first half in their "time management". :lol:

Man of the Match

Cristiano Ronaldo image Cristiano Ronaldo 84% of 426 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 431 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win