PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 4:1 Newcastle United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 11 September 2021

acolyte

Newcastle's Woodman casting ended about as you'd expect...with a loose and sloppy backline getting destroyed.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I am definitely watching Match of the Day tonight. First time in years :lol:

jackal&hyde

Thought Sancho definitely improved. I don't watch all that much of the Bundesliga, but can't imagine anyone looks amazing against a back 9. There were always 3 defenders on his side - so little room to work with.
Yeah I thought he was good. Still not fully fit for some reason but he'll get there.
Varane is going to be ridiculous for us.

Sancho will improve.

Matic :lol: :(
That's a bit harsh though. He was good in possession I thought and went forward when needed. Clearly passed it but if he can perform at least this good in this type of games then it's fine.

Jibbs

Pogba ran the show, Ronaldo did what Ronaldo does. Lingaard will be huge this season... I would start him ahead of Sancho every game.

Devil may care

Horrible side to play against and we did look vulnerable through the middle on the counter but in the end we had too much firepower, Ronaldo had everyone stepping up like he was a human power grid and bagged a brace, no way he wasn't getting on the score sheet today. :devil:

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Tears in eyes. Watching Ronaldo's second strike. Amazing by Bruno and Jesse too. Everyone was good

OT1214

Ronaldo's presence is going to be absolutely vital against the teams that will sit back. And Bruno made absolutely sure that he was the first one to hug Ronaldo after the first goal :D

Sweet Square

Very surreal match. Still can't get my head around the fact Ronaldo is playing and scoring again for United.

Still some great goals and a good result.

Shimo

Could not have had a better team to play against for this game. Glad to have got that goal right at half time. Yet once again real sloppy play to concede but, again the quick reply.

Ronaldo Ronaldo Ronaldo - he's absolutely made millions of peoples day, they are going to be silly grinning ear to ear like me.

Really glad for Bruno to get his goal and respect to the crowd to keep chanting his name even before to underline his importance.

Pogba with 2 assists and played a very good game but, I found it really weird how much Matic was getting on the ball more than him and way higher up on the pitch.

And the prediction I made at the start of the season, DDG is going to have a beast of season for us and once again with an important save and great ball out leading to the 3rd.

Oranges038

Not the best performance overall, but a win is a win.

I still think the ball is being moved too slowly and passes aren't been taken when they are on, instead the ball is brought back inside and moved across only to be brought put into the middle and lost. It's very frustrating how many times the wrong option is taken.

The midfield was bypassed by simple passes too many times. Matic hasn't got the legs anymore and he slows the play down way too much.

RedDevilUnited369

Still surprised he’s back but scoring a brace on his return debut.

It’s like living a real life dream. I’m actually living the dream.

Reactions: Penna

Robertd0803

Get in there.

Beautiful, just beautiful. Viva Ronaldo.

Game was over the minute the team sheet came out.

RuudTom83

Sooooo Happy

Literally every United fan tonight has Nothing to complain about! its all positive and you have to soak it up on days like today.

Will Singh

Ronaldo sending shockwaves through the PL, Bruno scored a worldie which started from a De Gea pass also JlingZ scored. VDB got to play too what a fecking day!!!!!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Compare this with the start last season before we even played the top guns. I’ll take it.

Even the shite posted in the match day thread won’t take the gloss off that!:lol:

siw2007

Great result! Didn’t think the performance was particularly good for the most part, Newcastle did a great job at defending for the most part and Saint-Maximin was one of the best players on the pitch when counter attacking. But it’s Ronaldo’ show and it was a very satisfying 2nd debut from him, Bruno, Pogba and Shaw were also very good. AWB struggled which is a shame as he was excellent against Wolves, Sancho had a tough 2nd half but I’m still relaxed with him.

BorisManUtd

Dream 2nd debut for Ronaldo and great result. On the other hand, not the best performance imo. We just seem to be very vulnerable on counters and tend to lose the ball in dangerous areas. Newcastle could've and should've scored 2 times today in 2 similar situations where if they made final pass, it would've been the goal, like when Willock I think took a shot and sent it into stands instead of cutting it back to his teammate who would've been clear in front of our goal. There was another situation like that.

Better than against Southampton and Wolves, but we still have to play much better. Next PL game is West Ham away, difficult one.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It hasn't felt this great being a United fan since those glorious few seconds before SAF made his retirement speech.

It's coming home, lads :drool:

Chicharo

Obviously a great result, and I may exaggerate, but there are few things that can prevent us for battling for the title

- Ronnie will have his share of goals, but we mustn't rely only on him. There were like 10 crosses in the first half - don't worry he will score, but not forcefully. As soon as we start playing foot to foot, we'll be better (just like in the second half)
- For the last time we need a proper DM

Apart from all that, a wonderful afternoon

Last edited:

KennyBurner

Im glad that we are all Happy. Believe me I am too but today was very disappointing for our wingers. Sancho and Greenwood are going to suffer all season because we lack any pattern of play when trying to overload the wings. Today we saw Newcastle sit back very deep in their half and we still tried to play small passes towards the middle. What the hell was that?

Moving forward we are going to keep seeing scenarios were Greenwood and Sancho are 1v3. When they do have the ball we will always have mistimed or halfhearted overlaps from their fullbacks which results in them just recycling possession.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s amazing that we can start with Greenwood, Sancho, Fernandes and Ronaldo in attack, it’s more amazing that we still have the likes of Rashford and Cavani to come back in.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Newcastle's Woodman casting ended about as you'd expect...with a loose and sloppy backline getting destroyed.
They were very, very good today. This was one of the best Newcastle performances I've seen in years.

Man of the Match

Cristiano Ronaldo image Cristiano Ronaldo 84% of 426 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 431 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw