PL D FA Premier League

Newcastle United 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Mon, 27 December 2021

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Couldn’t even do the basics right. Passes being misplaced all game, lack of control when the ball arrives to the players’ feets, no composure in the final third, no composure in defence. I mean what was that?

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Just play the under 23s, I've been saying it for so long already, we don't need primma donnas who think they're above hard work.

We got a bunch of self entitled players who thinks all they need to win is show up. Time for a massive clear out and get rid of the cancers in the team.

Chicharo

There's nothing much to say when you play like that against a shit team like Newcastle.
Unfortunately, we are shit too
Thank God for DDG not that haters gonna stop criticizing him

copen1945

The coach, the players, and the result all are disappointing. His ideas are nowhere to be seen, like pressing, attacking style, etc. The players are either incapable or just plain lazy. Having gotten one point from a side being relegated is thoroughly damaging to the competition for the top four spot. Everyone has to redouble their effort to turn things around. Otherwise, it will be Europa League in Eastern Europe where there might be an ongoing war.

Reactions: oates

Waynne

Was absolutely diabolical. So bad that I can't help wonder who was playing who is still recovering from covid. This is not a formation/selection issue, it was too bad for that.
:lol: I'm sorry I had to

jackal&hyde

Collective shit form. Tactics don't matter if so many players can't make a simple pass or ping the ball out of play more often then not.

minoo-utd

Personally, I am willing to give the team and RR the benefit of the doubt for that performance. The mixture of the whole new setup, games being postponed and Covid added into the mix hasn't made anything easier you would imagine. I am currently just getting over Covid myself and I attempted to run up the stairs this morning and I had to look behind me to check if my intestines had fallen out of my hole! I can sympathize with the players who have had Covid recently. (I don't think we know who has and hasn't had it in fairness)

I would imagine that it will take another few weeks of training and matches before we start to see any real development in the style and play the team are transitioning towards.
It was Newcastle ffs.

Ixion

Rashford gave the ball away plenty but he also had a decent effort saved, put Sancho in, won a few corners etc and was generally the one getting the ball and trying to go at them. Ronaldo, Bruno, and Greenwood were completely anonymous. I'll take a striker wasting chances over ones not getting any.

I don't know what it is, if our attackers are hiding or the defenders and midfielders are just not finding them. That set of players should not be intimidated by Newcastle so it's just bizarre. We don't seem capable of just holding the ball and keeping it for a solid set of possession.

Last edited:

mattunited1978

doommonger
fecking embarrassing. Center backs looked like pub players, multi million pound attacking players who cant control or pass a football. Absolute fecking shite.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
One thing remains clear - Cavani is by far our best forward and talk of selling him is beyond mad. His ability to find space and make great runs is fantastic - just a shame the rest are nowhere ner good enough to find him most of the time.

Other than that, a half decent showing rom scotty and DDG good again (although some of the saves were a bit hyped up by some on here and the commentary team - the last won was, however, world class)

Damon1559

It was Newcastle ffs.
Given my reasoning, I'm not sure that it matters who our opponents were.. That's not to say that I am correct as it was merely a theory that I, personally am willing to give the benefit of doubt for given the times we are in.
If my theory isn't the case though, I 100% agree with you. I am just hoping that in a few weeks time we start to see changes for the better as that was not an acceptable performance in the slightest from a majority of the players.

Shunty

Supports
Man it’s
If the reality has not hit us all in the face yet it soon will this job for any manager is absolutely massive, there seems to me to be a divide within the team you can see it from an absolute mile off, the players who should be running the show showing energy and passion aren’t doing it. Rashford is utterly useless, awful decision making trying to beat people holding onto the ball far far too much cutting inside every time from the left is so obvious. This time I am not blaming the current manager for this awful performance, the players have to look at themselves. If we are honest with ourselves Cavani is the only forward who looks set up for this formation and team instruction to press the other players haven’t got a clue and can’t string a pass together.

sell the bad apples martial pogba and every other overpaid pre Madonna in that club. Drop rashfordand Bruno bring in the young lads Hannibal and elanga they simply cannot do any worse.
I am convinced that certain players contracts makes it harder for us to sub them, ronaldo and rashford needed hoisting off most of the game but it never happens.

we are miles off being a competitive good team, mikes off. Don’t blame the current coach or set up blame the players who are given too much power, give rangnick full control for three years ok convinced these overpaid players will be out the door.

FireballXL5

In the matchday thread I half jokingly asked if we could sell them all in January. After sleeping on it...I'd keep De Gea.

rooneyberbatov

The team looked like a bunch of zombies, especially Ronaldo & Varane. It seems they had some intense training, because even McT had troubles adjusting physically.

2 things I liked: they were able to keep the ball at least, which has been a problem for months. And De Gea, brilliant performance. Everything else was rubbish, we were easily outrun by them.

Member 101269

I’m not too hung up about this match. We played players who are rusty ofter injury, we have players recovering from COVID and we don’t know if they are vaccinated, we haven’t trained much with Ralf, and coaches are in transition. We’ve also got a few sulkers / want away players in the squad.

we need a little breathing time, sadly we’re not likely to get time.

tomaldinho1

What the hell!! Mate he is playing the same underachievers that Ole did week in week out.
The club now is rotten we have Bruno and Ronaldo looking to blame everyone else.
Ralf and this shit 4222 formation is another disaster, imagine having the calibre of players at your finger tips and you put in two performances like that against the bottom 2 in the league…

This is a guy the glaziers brought in to help the team and then the club, the guy is a fraud and shouldn’t be shown the door as soon as possible… Do any off us really think this guy helped coach Pep and Klopp .
I would advise you take 5 and do some breath work…
There’s barely been any training despite all the time off, you have to give him more time before you can cast any judgement. If you’re just venting that’s fine.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I’m not too hung up about this match. We played players who are rusty ofter injury, we have players recovering from COVID and we don’t know if they are vaccinated, we haven’t trained much with Ralf, and coaches are in transition. We’ve also got a few sulkers / want away players in the squad.

we need a little breathing time, sadly we’re not likely to get time.
Newcastle had players missing due to covid as well.

Lentwood

We clearly have a huge structural issue in the team. I have said all season that our defenders are being hung out to dry by our total lack of ability to defend as a unit. Yesterday, we looked as bad as at any point under Ole again. The sheer number of times ASM or Joelinton or Shelvey were able to pick up the ball and just run directly at our two CBs was absolutely frightening. Our CBs seem to be constantly running back towards their own goal, chasing players into the channels or facing overloads. These are structural issues, and it must be an absolute nightmare to play CB in this team.

Maguire has never been popular for some reason - probably the price tag and the fact he isn't a fancy European name has counted against him on here. However, I have said all along that very few defenders, if any, in world football would look good in this side. I feel my point has been proven once again by Varane yesterday. This is a three times Champions League winning CB, a World Cup winner, who has played at the highest level for ten years. Yesterday, he looked absolutely awful. Maguire was by far the better of the two, probably because he is used to this chaos every week and has adapted to some extent.

I am sorry but if you have Maguire AND Raphael Varane and they both look chaotic every week, the problem is elsewhere. You CANNOT have players constantly breaking the lines and/or dragging the CBs into the wide areas. It's a recipe for absolute disaster. I'd love for us to borrow Ruben Dias for a month, so I could prove it would be no different with different personnel. The only player I think would have a fighting chance might be van Dijk, but we shouldn't be relying on having to have the very best player in the world in a position to even stand a chance of looking half competent against Newcastle or Norwich.

tomaldinho1

I guess in some ways, Ole's overachieved with this team.
Ole created this mess. Spent huge sums on players who don’t fit the system he wanted to play and told players like Rashford, Greenwood, Bruno etc their poo smelt of roses. Look at their attitudes now, there’s no graft and yet they play and strut around like they’re some title winning team of big name players.

sugar_kane

The only positive to take out of last nights game is that it’s over, absolute shite.

I’m not expecting miracles from Rangnick but it’s really worrying how he can’t conjure a semi respectable performance against the two worst teams in the league.

I thought he might have the balls to drop some of the under performers but weirdly he’s just focussed on the full backs where the deputies Telles/Dalot are the worst backups we have for any position.

Shaw needed a kick up the arse to get back into gear but he’s worlds apart from Telles in overall quality. AWB has had an awful season but Dalot is nowhere near the quality required for a United team.

Rangnick’s post game interview was no different from what Ole was criticised for, except it’s just a new series of buzzwords like “physiciality” and “pace” instead of passion, DNA etc. It’s still meaningless, especially on the back of a performance like that.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
wierd that attitudes were better under ole. maybe he put together a squad that takes a big personality to manage, i would accept that. not clear why ronaldo would listen to RR whose main coaching achievement is a semi final with schalke 15 years ago.

just playing devils advocate here, but really posters need to stop trying to pin things on ole in a blind panic. ralf is responsible and hopefully will be responsible when we start improving over the coming months.
Ole is not to blame for today. The players take most of the blame for today.

Judas

Open to offers
Rangnick’s post game interview was no different from what Ole was criticised for, except it’s just a new series of buzzwords like “physiciality” and “pace” instead of passion, DNA etc. It’s still meaningless, especially on the back of a performance like that.
Any word is a buzzword with your logic :lol: to say his interviews are no different to Ole is just laughable bollocks. This bloke actually talks about the football and is honest. It's bizarre that this place is already turning on an interim manager.

Bestietom

No excuses. Top players should be able to control the ball at least. Like Gary Neville said, Ronaldo and Bruno should be Encouraging the younger players instead of throwing their arms up in the air everytime they don't receive the ball from them.
We have other players who can score as well, but are scared to try because of this reaction. Rangnick will have to sort this out.

Judas

Open to offers
Bruno and Ronaldo aren't playing well enough to look at everyone else like they're shit.

Although Bruno was levels better when he was playing deeper in the second half instead of the running around like a headless chicken nonsense we saw in the first half.

DomesticTadpole

No excuses. Top players should be able to control the ball at least. Like Gary Neville said, Ronaldo and Bruno should be Encouraging the younger players instead of throwing their arms up in the air everytime they don't receive the ball from them.
We have other players who can score as well, but are scared to try because of this reaction. Rangnick will have to sort this out.
I noticed last season that Cavani would tell Greenwood off sometimes, but other times would have his arm round him giving him advice.

DomesticTadpole

Bruno and Ronaldo aren't playing well enough to look at everyone else like they're shit.

Although Bruno was levels better when he was playing deeper in the second half instead of the running around like a headless chicken nonsense we saw in the first half.
Unfortunately I think Ronaldo being here is causing Bruno a big problem. He was our big time player, now I think he is a bit overawed by Ronaldo and is trying too hard.

CraftySoAndSo

The only players who can walk away from the match with ANY sort of dignity are De Gea, Cavani and Dalot imo. We need to drop one of Fred or Mctominay and put someone in who can pass the ball forward effectively so put Pogba or even drop Fernandes or hell even give someone like Mejbri a go.

We seem to get countered on so easily which i get can happen especially if you want to trap the opposition in their own half. But what separates us from teams who can do it properly is other team regularly create clear cut chances which either go on target or wide for a goal kick. Whereas we routinely give it straight to the opposition defense who clear and the counter is on.

What infuriates me though is the amount of times our "creative" players misplaced a pass either to the other team or out of play is to throw their arms up or slump their head down to the floor. If Ralf is trying to implement a philosophy of winning the ball back within 10 seconds of losing it the second you lose it is have the mentality of i lose it i help win it back as quick as i can. But it's quite hard to win the ball back in 10 seconds if you spend the first 5 of it either berating yourself or a teammate. The team need to be united, ok you lost the ball so what it happens, what defines the team is what you do after. And if certain players can't do that then get out of the team imo.

Reactions: oates

DomesticTadpole

Yes, Greenwood liked playing with Cavani but there is something very wrong this season.
Think some player like imparting their knowledge, some see it as a threat to their status. Ronaldo has to remember he was a young player once and maybe took advice of a more experienced player.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Ole created this mess. Spent huge sums on players who don’t fit the system he wanted to play and told players like Rashford, Greenwood, Bruno etc their poo smelt of roses. Look at their attitudes now, there’s no graft and yet they play and strut around like they’re some title winning team of big name players.
But then you can also argue the fact that Ole had to clean up Jose and LVG's messes too.

sugar_kane

Any word is a buzzword with your logic :lol: to say his interviews are no different to Ole is just laughable bollocks. This bloke actually talks about the football and is honest. It's bizarre that this place is already turning on an interim manager.
He can talk as much as he wants about football, or be as honest as he wants, but when we’re struggling to even play well against Newcastle/Norwich it’s no more use to us than the smart arses babbling away on this forum.

This place puts way too much stock in what a manager has to say in interviews / press conferences etc. That’s my entire point.

Maticmaker

Going into this game it was many of the Newcastle players wondering if they would still have a job after the January Window; coming out of it, surely its the United players who should be wondering?
Can't help thinking that he has been, still is, one of the best players in the world, but bringing CR back to the club in this position was a mistake. Gary Neville was right, the moaning and groaning and whingeing from our so called top players was a disgrace and CR and Bruno were the cheerleaders.
Ralf certainly has his work cut out for him, his post match comments were 'guarded', but the mention of lack of energy, of competitive commitment, loose control, failure to win second balls and the poor body-language, could leave nobody in any doubt what he thought... the question is what will he do about it?

Bestietom

Going into this game it was many of the Newcastle players wondering if they would still have a job after the January Window; coming out of it, surely its the United players who should be wondering?
Can't help thinking that he has been, still is, one of the best players in the world, but bringing CR back to the club in this position was a mistake. Gary Neville was right, the moaning and groaning and whingeing from our so called top players was a disgrace and CR and Bruno were the cheerleaders.
Ralf certainly has his work cut out for him, his post match comments were 'guarded', but the mention of lack of energy, of competitive commitment, loose control, failure to win second balls and the poor bodybody language, could leave nobody in any doubt what he thought... the question is what will he do about it!
I agree. No one should be guaranteed a place on the team. If you play bad you get dropped, Ronaldo, Bruno, or whoever.

Waynne

But then you can also argue the fact that Ole had to clean up Jose and LVG's messes too.
He had 3 years to clean up though. No excuses. The dross should have been out of this club ages ago.

Martial, Pogba, Lingard should have walked ages ago. Ole gave them a nice 3 year holiday. Martial already jumping ship. Who's next?

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 90% of 292 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 298 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw