PL D FA Premier League

Newcastle United 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Mon, 27 December 2021

Bestietom

He had 3 years to clean up though. No excuses. The dross should have been out of this club ages ago.

Martial, Pogba, Lingard should have walked ages ago. Ole gave them a nice 3 year holiday. Martial already jumping ship. Who's next?
I hope quite a few more.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Going into this game it was many of the Newcastle players wondering if they would still have a job after the January Window; coming out of it, surely its the United players who should be wondering?
Can't help thinking that he has been, still is, one of the best players in the world, but bringing CR back to the club in this position was a mistake. Gary Neville was right, the moaning and groaning and whingeing from our so called top players was a disgrace and CR and Bruno were the cheerleaders.
Ralf certainly has his work cut out for him, his post match comments were 'guarded', but the mention of lack of energy, of competitive commitment, loose control, failure to win second balls and the poor bodybody language, could leave nobody in any doubt what he thought... the question is what will he do about it!
What indeed.
As we know, there is no magic bullet.
It will be all down to hard work on the training ground. Not something any coach is going to get the time for because of the fixtures.
But it is the lack of competitive committment that is, for me, the biggest concern.
Even when United were not playing well under Sir Alex, the committment was usually there.
To be honest, I really cannot remember the last time I saw this.
And we still look like a bunch of strangers on the pitch.
Difficult to see us finishing in the top 4 against an improving Tottenham and (hate to say it) Arsenal.
RR has a huge task to turn this United team around.
But a few strategic signings should definitely improve our awful midfield.

Ollie Derbyshire

We have. We're unbeaten under RR so far, Spurs under Conte are not.

You need intense training for any game, otherwise the small percentage that makes the difference is lost at premiership level.
Manager bounce should include improved performances not just scrapping past bottom of the table teams.

CornishReds

Is there any positives any?? Fed up with this. And we're 19 points of citeh!! We need to get our goal difference up or we will not get top 4

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Ole is not to blame for today. The players take most of the blame for today.
Very much so.
And for the problems that the previous managers had.
As soon as they decided that they were able to get a manager the sack, they stopped playing for them.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Manager bounce should include improved performances not just scrapping past bottom of the table teams.
Other than yesterday, I think we have had improved performances.
Arguable to say that Spurs have only had a better performance the last two games.

Bestietom

Very much so.
And for the problems that the previous managers had.
As soon as they decided that they were able to get a manager the sack, they stopped playing for them.
We need to get these players out of this club. I hope RR and his staff can do this.

Ollie Derbyshire

Other than yesterday, I think we have had improved performances.
Arguable to say that Spurs have only had a better performance the last two games.
We’ve only played well for the first 30mins of his tenure so far, Young Bouts, Norwich and now Newcastle were shocking and we should have lost them all.

I really hope he can mould them into a team but as no one else has been able to for years I’m not holding out hope.

Judas

Open to offers
Manager bounces aren't a guarantee, it depends on so many factors. Ole wasn't hated, the group may have stopped believing in him but they clearly still liked him. If anything that makes it harder for the new manager coming in. I'd much rather follow an unpopular boss than a popular one, that's just common sense.

AndySmith1990

We need to get these players out of this club. I hope RR and his staff can do this.
Well they won't be getting Ralf sacked as he's only manager for 6 months, then he's here for 2 years in a position the players can't have any effect on. So if anyone can remove the bad eggs from the team it's Ralf.

CraftySoAndSo

Also please buy Saint-Maximin. He's class, gives his all every game and has some serious skills. If he was in a united shirt at Old Trafford the fans would absolutely love him. Only thing lacking is end product sometimes.

grandslam05

The club needs a partial rebuild. we have to many prima donnas and overpaid average players. Maguire needs to be stripped of is captaincy NOW. He shouldn't make the starting 11 let alone lead our club.
Ralf needs (if player contracts allows) to drop ronaldo and play cavani or greenwood up top. Get rid of fred completely and play bruno next to a cdm (Mctom is the only one at the mo) Play DVB. give him chance for gods sake, please.
Sell Pogba, martial, fred, and structure this team properly with players who have the right ATTITUDE. too many players do not have the desire to fight. We desperately need a new RB and CB and a CDM. Is there no one in the youth who could fit these positions because if we have they would surely be worth a go instead of the under performing prima donnas we have there at the moment.
I hate what we have become. I struggle to watch the 90 minutes. Its torture.

Maticmaker

What indeed.
As we know, there is no magic bullet.
It will be all down to hard work on the training ground. Not something any coach is going to get the time for because of the fixtures.
But it is the lack of competitive committment that is, for me, the biggest concern.
Even when United were not playing well under Sir Alex, the committment was usually there.
To be honest, I really cannot remember the last time I saw this.
And we still look like a bunch of strangers on the pitch.
Difficult to see us finishing in the top 4 against an improving Tottenham and (hate to say it) Arsenal.
RR has a huge task to turn this United team around.
But a few strategic signings should definitely improve our awful midfield.
Yes, the problem is will he try to make some personnel changes in the January window, or soldier on with what he's got? Time is never on a managers side in this position and living in the goldfish bowl (as Shearer once described it) which is Manchester United, he will really need to live up to his reputation.
After a marginal improvement for half an hour against Palace, then poor performances at Norwich and last night, I am convinced (reluctantly) that Ralf is going to have to strip things back down to the bare wood, a bit like Tommy Doc did in the 1970's; unfortunately that went very bad (relegation) first, before it got better, lets hope that particular scenario can be avoided!

Stage 1
There needs to be a clear out of all the whingers, deadwoods and no hopers; but most of all he has, IMO, to get at the 'ringleaders' in the dressing room, the barrack-room lawyers, the 'talking behind their hand' merchants, and those perhaps only here for the beer! This will in the meantime rely almost entirely on one or two players (De Gea of course) and a host of youngsters given a chance to make their name, to take the strain and to carry the flag.

Stage 2
Hand pick the players he wants to bring in as soon as possible but wait if necessary to get the ones he wants and to tell the Glaziers this is not for negotiation.

Stage3
Hand pick the new manager who can carry forward the work he's started, go get him... again brook no nonsense from the owners.

If the above is beyond him, then with all due respect Ralf book yourself on the next flight back to Moscow.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The only takeaway from the game was one point. I couldn't understand the mentality of Newcastle despite being in their predicament they played for a draw and wasted time over the last 15 minutes. United were there for the taking.

Devred

Harry Maguire, the worlds most expensive donkey. On second thoughts at least donkeys can run.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Time for the board to own their mistakes and resign. The malady in the club goes far deeper than the players. Giving Ole the job showed huge arrogance, keeping him on was a disgrace. Our lot are about as useful as the silly creature pretending to run track and trace

MrBest

That was terrible, it feels the players have learnt nothing. Errors after errors, no heart, no desire. RR has given most players a chance now, i hope he brings some changes in Jan. Its still early in his reign, had some covid to deal with but that performance was just so bad, i cannot unsee it. Hoping for changes on Thurs, in RR we trust.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Can anyone get me official stats for how many times we lost possession last night please?

I just heard someone on a podcast claim it was 167 times which surely can't be right

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yes, the problem is will he try to make some personnel changes in the January window, or soldier on with what he's got? Time is never on a managers side in this position and living in the goldfish bowl (as Shearer once described it) which is Manchester United, he will really need to live up to his reputation.
After a marginal improvement for half an hour against Palace, then poor performances at Norwich and last night, I am convinced (reluctantly) that Ralf is going to have to strip things back down to the bare wood, a bit like Tommy Doc did in the 1970's; unfortunately that went very bad (relegation) first, before it got better, lets hope that particular scenario can be avoided!

Stage 1
There needs to be a clear out of all the whingers, deadwoods and no hopers; but most of all he has, IMO, to get at the 'ringleaders' in the dressing room, the barrack-room lawyers, the 'talking behind their hand' merchants, and those perhaps only here for the beer! This will in the meantime rely almost entirely on one or two players (De Gea of course) and a host of youngsters given a chance to make their name, to take the strain and to carry the flag.

Stage 2
Hand pick the players he wants to bring in as soon as possible but wait if necessary to get the ones he wants and to tell the Glaziers this is not for negotiation.

Stage3
Hand pick the new manager who can carry forward the work he's started, go get him... again brook no nonsense from the owners.

If the above is beyond him, then with all due respect Ralf book yourself on the next flight back to Moscow.
Cannot disagree with any of that.
However, I do think that we have the basis of a reasonable squad and maybe 3 or 4 out and 3 key additions.
I am sure that he already knows that we need a far more physical midfield. Players who can stamp their authority and boss the opposition.
I have no names but he is making a big point about physicality. So look forward to see who is brought in.

Firestorm

Awful performance, our players seem incapable of passing to each other – and what happened to the pressing game we saw in first half against Palace? Apart from Cavani and DG all were mostly useless..and as for Maguire ..seriously?!

Last edited:

Zed 101

I am sure this has been said here but, the "attitude" issue has only really been present since the arrival of Ronaldo, for me best thing that could happen is Ronaldo pick up a minor injury to keep him out a couple of games and let the other players start to work together again as a team and build themselves up. I love Ronaldo and his goals you cannot argue with but I wish we hadn't re-signed him and we had just stuck with Cavani and Greenwood up front.

Right now player confidence is really low you could see that last night, if we got a couple of good wins it would turn the attitude thing on it's head, right now we are in a negative reinforcement cycle.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
We have. We're unbeaten under RR so far, Spurs under Conte are not.

You need intense training for any game, otherwise the small percentage that makes the difference is lost at premiership level.
What you're describing is a "new manager trot".

We don't have a new manager bounce, the results are sub-par and no one are finding ways to shine in a meaningful way outside of what you'd expect a player to do in a normal workday.

Every single one of these players need a scolding. Its not helpful, but I'm just flabbergasted by the lack of dedication some of them display.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The club needs a partial rebuild. we have to many prima donnas and overpaid average players. Maguire needs to be stripped of is captaincy NOW. He shouldn't make the starting 11 let alone lead our club.
Ralf needs (if player contracts allows) to drop ronaldo and play cavani or greenwood up top. Get rid of fred completely and play bruno next to a cdm (Mctom is the only one at the mo) Play DVB. give him chance for gods sake, please.
Sell Pogba, martial, fred, and structure this team properly with players who have the right ATTITUDE. too many players do not have the desire to fight. We desperately need a new RB and CB and a CDM. Is there no one in the youth who could fit these positions because if we have they would surely be worth a go instead of the under performing prima donnas we have there at the moment.
I hate what we have become. I struggle to watch the 90 minutes. Its torture.
This Ralf's United or LVG's United?

Personally LVG's United was good for my health. I always fell asleep by HT.

OleTheGreat

What is so frustrating as a Man United fan is, I have to wait till half past 1 early in the morning to watch a premier league game or champions league game in India. It is so boring and disheartening to watch such a shit show. I cannot tell you how ridiculous it is to watch. I mean, we are fans of this great club and have watched us play some of the most intricate football in the past years but since the end of the Fergie era, we have been nothing but SHAMBOLIC! I haven't seen a United team that has struggled this much EVER! We look like a second or third tier team and that's the whole truth. Ralf Rangnick might have thought Ole was the problem but it is the players and not anybody else. I agree with Roy Keane, Gary Neville when they say that these players will get the managers sacked one after another if somebody just doesn't put them to the sword. I think Ralf Rangnick has to pick a side that wants to fight every moment for the badge regardless of the quality because right now there is no quality anywhere on the pitch.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
All the things I said would stop us from growing fast enough and that would inevitably hold us back have come to pass and it’s still only 2021.

Ronaldos goals have kept us in the CL and I salute that but it was always a quick and brutally expensive fix which seems to have held Bruno Greenwood and Cavani back. On the balance a poor transfer, especially with the future in mind. Will it stop us from signing a world class striker on the way up? The stropping on the pitch seems to have majorly caught on and we already had far too much of it with Martial and Rashford. Frustration boils over and everyone is looking to pass the buck.

Rashford: same thing as martial. Has been awful for years now. Last seasons numbers and our almost total pig headed reliance on him was the pinnacle of self indulgence I’ve ever seen at this club. Too big to drop. Seemingly too influential to be told to run or switch his ineffective game up. I wish I was the manager because he’d be gone along with Pogba Martial Lingard and any other overpaid banter boys who show up once every 10 games, if we are lucky.

Selling James: far more effective against teams that want to out fight us than Rashford or Sancho. We need to find more relentless players like him Cavani and Fred. It’s not all about technique. Technique without fight in this league is almost useless. Glad it’s finally dawning on some of you. Chiesa would be a must for me. We need a lot more spark and fight in this team to break out of the same predictable patterns that have become second nature to players getting away with hiding in plain sight

We are back to square one and I saw it coming a mile off. People still want to blame the midfield? Fred has scored or assisted most of our goals post Ole. McT was a one man midfield yesterday. It’s the forwards. They are a lazy predictable shit show and have been since Rashford and Martial took over. Cavani being our only saving grace since this time last year. If you have a player like Ronaldo up top you stick 9 relentless pressing grafters behind him and you batter and grind teams down through hard work and create openings and theoretically the quality rises to the top more often than not. This is just players walking around looking to see which of their team mates will bail them out on repeat and go home and cash their cheques. The best seats in the house.

Any players who’ve been here since Fergie or LVG or even Jose need to be shipped out now. They’ve got several managers fired and they still can’t be arsed to put fresh effort in. I’m done with them. Stop paying league leading wages to players who aren’t even amongst the top players in their position in this league, let alone the world. It’s the emperors new clothes. Change needs to come from the top down. Hopefully Ralf can see what some of us could over the last few years and wants to kill a few of these players United careers over the next two years. It’s time they paid the price. The owners and board need to have a good long look at themselves too. They’ve enabled this by treating substandard players like they are actually world class for far too long.

Last edited:

Hester_manc

Playing Telles is a huge mistake. He does not belong in our starting 11.

And an other thing: When did we last score from a corner or a free kick?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's crazy that half the season has passed and we've only had 2 actual good performances. 2 games all season where we played like the better team on the day and played somewhat exciting football - Leeds on the opening day, and Newcastle on Ronaldo's debut. The rest we've been outplayed almost every game, results coming through a smash and grab, or games where we just got the win through some Ronaldo finishing but weren't clearly a better team. I don't know what the feck is going on at this club, but this season is absolutely dreadful. A garbage performance to the worst team in the league after a 16 day break is like the nail in the coffin to make you lose all hope for us.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Surely that's not even possible? We lost possession 167 times in 90 minutes?!
I wasn't able to watch it, but sounds incredibly scrappy. The ball's normally only in actual play for less than hour as well isn't it? Given the level of moaning about the performance, maybe it is right.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
What is so frustrating as a Man United fan is, I have to wait till half past 1 early in the morning to watch a premier league game or champions league game in India. It is so boring and disheartening to watch such a shit show. I cannot tell you how ridiculous it is to watch. I mean, we are fans of this great club and have watched us play some of the most intricate football in the past years but since the end of the Fergie era, we have been nothing but SHAMBOLIC! I haven't seen a United team that has struggled this much EVER! We look like a second or third tier team and that's the whole truth. Ralf Rangnick might have thought Ole was the problem but it is the players and not anybody else. I agree with Roy Keane, Gary Neville when they say that these players will get the managers sacked one after another if somebody just doesn't put them to the sword. I think Ralf Rangnick has to pick a side that wants to fight every moment for the badge regardless of the quality because right now there is no quality anywhere on the pitch.
On hotstar which starts buffering every 20 seconds.

lex talionis

The root of the problem is hard to pinpoint, but there is a mental rot within the squad. Where is the evidence of players genuinely working on improving any aspect of their play? It’s as though once you’ve made the United first team you’re set for life and need not bother with what club supporters expect, such as winning trophies.

Ollie Derbyshire

Manager bounces aren't a guarantee, it depends on so many factors. Ole wasn't hated, the group may have stopped believing in him but they clearly still liked him. If anything that makes it harder for the new manager coming in. I'd much rather follow an unpopular boss than a popular one, that's just common sense.
There’re not, but didn’t you just know we’d not have one haha (in terms of performance anyway, I’m not counting 7/9pts form the teams we’ve played as a bounce)

bosskeano

as much as i hate to say this but if Rangnick is going to stick with this system he has to figure out a better way to utilize the players that it seems like won't get dropped ....ie Bruno and Marcus

personally i think the two up front should be Ronaldo and Cavani as they are more natural #9's and have so much better movement. I think Mason could work as well just given more time working with those two. Marcus just seems lost playing up top.

Bruno is struggling out wide as he gives the ball away too easily and he doesn't have the same influence as he does when playing centrally.

As much as i hate to say this but this system would actually suit Jesse and Sancho better as the attacking mids playing under Ronaldo and Cavani.

Ronaldo Cavani
JLing Sancho
Donny Fred/Scott

those 4 supporting the front 2 just are better on the ball overall than what we had yesterday on the pitch against Newcastle

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 90% of 292 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 298 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw