PL D FA Premier League

Newcastle United 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Mon, 27 December 2021

Roosney

Liked the changes at half time, we were the better team in the 2nd half.
It's concerning thou how bad Bruno's form is at the moment.

Crashoutcassius

Agree with that. Inclined to think he pandered to them. I am hoping they have met their match in Ralf, he will not be liking this sort of whinging and whining.
wierd that attitudes were better under ole. maybe he put together a squad that takes a big personality to manage, i would accept that. not clear why ronaldo would listen to RR whose main coaching achievement is a semi final with schalke 15 years ago.

just playing devils advocate here, but really posters need to stop trying to pin things on ole in a blind panic. ralf is responsible and hopefully will be responsible when we start improving over the coming months.

Nordmore

Could anyone here tell me what was the plan? We looked like headless chickens tbh.

I'm happy with a point and that says it all.

BlueHaze

Honestly it was shocking how bad we was. I'm taking into consideration it's been quite turbulent recently for them but this team won't finish top 4, absolutely no chance.

Barthez

On reflection (and I don’t like to say it) decent point.

ExoduS

Yeah, this team has a long way to go. Long, long way to go. I am not expecting a miracle, but I am expecting something. Got nothing. Same as it was under Ole.

minoo-utd

Why are we panicking? Why we can’t even do the simple passes? How we become as poor as this with all these names! Right now we don’t know what we exactly need! It’s just like a middle of no where.

TJ Reid

Supports
Arsenal
You know what?
Your club is fecking around with Rashford and Greenwood
I’d take the latter in a shot to the Emirates - a better environment there for him with young English players

Ollie Derbyshire

It doesnt help when they outnumber our 2. Rangnick probably thought McFred would cover enough ground but the running around those two was poor - IE Rashford/Bruno would not get back to cover the ground left vacant.
I don’t think Bruno or Rashford have a clue what they’re meant to be doing at the moment to be honest, that doesn’t excuse their horrendous performances though but if Fred and McT can’t compete against those they aren’t good enough.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Badly need a new MF that can control and dictate the play. Fred is just shit and Mctominah works hard but cannot pass for his life. With Pogba going we need two MFs.

Worrying performance. No control in the game. Maybe the only positive was at times we looked like we had some pattern to our attacking play. But very little to show of it.

Whatever has happened to Bruno as well.

Addled

Longstaff in love with Joelinton is not what I expected from this post match interview.
Agree completely. However, show an example of a United player stepping up and defending their teammates. Where is McGuire telling us that McTomminay is the best player that he has ever seen in training rather than a guy who spends the game hiding from a pass. Or where is Ronaldo saying that Sancho is definitely heir to the throne despite what he shows whenever picked. All they do is whinge (word of the night) and bitch at each other. Longstaff demonstrated togetherness. They are at the bottom of the league and their teamwork is far better than ours.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Such an appallingly lazy performance. Out of possession we were never able to show any sort of systematic pressing. With the ball, we just engaged in the most basic, lowest effort offensive play. There was no off the ball movement, no willingness to pass and move and work the Newcastle defence. You compare United to any top side, feck – even Arsenal, and we are devoid of any cohesion in the final third.

Rashford gets so much shit, but he played under LVG, Mou and Ole. He will continue to play under Rangnick and will play for any future manager too. Our squad is so devoid of anyone else going forward who is willing to run in behind or work the wide channels. He’s the only attacker we have (bar Cavani) who really works defences and keeps them honest. Greenwood, Sancho, Ronaldo and Bruno all keep coming to the ball, seeking short passes and play in front of the defence. I’m pulling my hair out watching that lot offering so little..

Varane was fecking awful. It is one thing to be defensively rusty, but the man’s a coward in possession. He just passed the buck to Maguire every time to progress the ball forward.

That was as bad as City and Liverpool given the opposition, and the sort of performance that could get a manager the sack were we not only four games in. There’s been virtually no improvement from Ole’s final days. Rangnick must be a bit worried, as United look sixth favourites for CL football next season and have had only one really good half out of eight since he took over.

Absolute shite. No positives except for De Gea. Even Cavani needed three big chances for his one goal.

Houdini

Everytime after these kind of performences I watch this video of Evra after the Spurs game.

If you are angry rather than sad then try this one:

ForeverRed1

Defence and midfield needs sorting out ASAP. Way too easy to run through, picked apart by every team we play. We look lost and clueless out there.

varane is very shaky. Needs a run of games.
maguire constantly has mistakes in him. As does varane. Our fullbacks are below par for the level we want. Compare them to Liverpool’s and you get the level

midfield is non existent, one of the worst midfields in the league in all honesty.

the defensive side of our team is where ralf has to start. He has to sort out the amount of goals we’re leaking. Abysmal and big names need to mean nothing at this point.

also don’t think maguire Is the captain. Bruno is also a number 10 best in just behind two strikers.

donny should hand in transfer request.

cj_sparky

It was awful.

16 days gave me an appetite to just to see a game. Today reminded me of why I didn't miss it though.

fen4e

We just seem so nervy and jittery. Varane has won Champions League trophies and looked terrified. Likes of Bruno, Rashford, Sancho and even Ronaldo look like they are constantly on the edge, trying too hard, overplaying, making poor decisions and basic mistakes.

For me, there isn't just one problem, but the fact we don't have anybody in CM who we can "put the ball in the bank" with is a big part of the problem. If you look at top sides, they have a Jorginho, a Rodri or a Henderson/Thiago who always show for the ball and very rarely give it away. We don't have that, every time we have the ball you see the panic in the eyes of the player with the ball as they realise they have no options infront of them.

Good post, thanks!

The Hilton

The usual agendas are on show tonight, bashing the likes of Maguire who, while slow and ponderous, was nowhere near as bad as Varane, who repeatedly started Newcastle attacks by giving them the ball.

The only players I gave above a 2 were DDG, McT, Edi, Maguire, and Dalot, and most of them were a 3.

Alemar

Quite surprising to hear from RR that our main problem today was physicality. From the looks of it our main problem was lack of skill

arthurka

Absolutely crap, this is a true reality check for RR. All our players that went to the Euros look shocking.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Agree completely. However, show an example of a United player stepping up and defending their teammates. Where is McGuire telling us that McTomminay is the best player that he has ever seen in training rather than a guy who spends the game hiding from a pass. Or where is Ronaldo saying that Sancho is definitely heir to the throne despite what he shows whenever picked. All they do is whinge (word of the night) and bitch at each other. Longstaff demonstrated togetherness. They are at the bottom of the league and their teamwork is far better than ours.
Because it'll be bollocks.

Mullet_Man

Remember Newcastle have played 3 games i think during the time we've had covid issues and players isolating, the lack of game time showed.

RR is going to need a lot more time to put his stamp on this team.

Steve 007

Liked the changes at half time, we were the better team in the 2nd half.
It's concerning thou how bad Bruno's form is at the moment.
I think you should re watch the game.
Newcastle should be gutted, outplayed and outclassed us.

Gutted by that performance. WTF Was that? What’s going on? Poor Ralf, the job is not one to be sorted in 6 months. All those talented players looking at the ball like it’s the first time they’ve seen a Martian.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
We should have got Conte, said it beforehand and I think we’ll regret not getting him.
That's subjective, I personally don't like Conte, I don't think he's what we need.

But RR surely needs another few weeks to get things sorted, with a training ground that's fully open and a playing squad that's fully fit and free from viruses?

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
The usual agendas are on show tonight, bashing the likes of Maguire who, while slow and ponderous, was nowhere near as bad as Varane, who repeatedly started Newcastle attacks by giving them the ball.

The only players I gave above a 2 were DDG, McT, Edi, Maguire, and Dalot, and most of them were a 3.
Maguire gave the ball away so much. Also always sold out by Maguire passing it too him while he is pressed.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I've probably written this countless of times the last decade but it's like most of our players don't want to play football. They seem to hate the sport.

Or they hate the expectations that come with playing for Manchester United.

either way, we're in for another decade or two of the same, unless some new owners emerge

ThemanGiggsy

Best thing about that game is Bruno getting a yellow card and will miss the Burnley game. he has been dreadful all season.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
It was a schoolyard game. Newcastle weren't anything special despite what Sky are making it sound like. The awful passing from the players made all our attacks fall to pieces, and off the ball there didn't seem to be any actual plan. Ralf needs to stop worrying about fancy formations and tactics and get the team doing the basics right first.

I feel like we're back under LvG again, Dave is rescuing us every game while the rest of the players just have a bit of a jog around at random.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
For all the criticism, they only had one solid chance and that was ASMs deflected knee shot in Close range. His goal was a fluke one . If they hadn't scored that goal, we would have won it.

St James Park isn't an easy place to go . They have always been our bogey team. Yes, 2 points dropped but we will move on to next game now.

ForeverRed1

don’t bite my head off here because it’s a curious question...

But what neville was just talking about regarding the changing room, has it been since we got Ronaldo in there? It always felt like that’s the one thing we had, a togetherness, it’s just gone out the window of late. Ole always had the changing room until the last couple months and it’s all in line with Ronaldo coming. I hope I’m wrong because I love him.. it’s just so odd how it’s changed so drastically of late.

take Bruno for example, he always was a positive influence on ths youngsters, always a positive impact on the team and he’s gone totally Whiney And negative of late. Not scoring, not creating, he’s like a different player this season.

I can’t work it out.

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 90% of 292 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 298 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win