PL D FA Premier League

Newcastle United 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Mon, 27 December 2021

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I may have been trying too hard to find the positives but it did look for a short while at least early on that we were winning the ball back more often...

...but we had to do that because the passing and movement was awful...

...and then we played into Newcastle's hands by pissing about with it at the back and letting the crowd and momentum get all over Varane who had an absolute mare.

Then certain players decided they didn't want to press any more and win the ball back and it spread like wildfire and all of a sudden it was caution and plodding so that we didn't get done on the counter for which we had no plan at all.

4-2-2-2 doesn't work and neither does having a four of any of Ronaldo/Rashford/Greenwood/Sancho/Bruno.

4-3-1-2/diamond might work but we need to allow the full backs to push up. Gets Bruno back behind the strikers as a ten and has cover behind him for when he gives it away. I don't care who is part of that as long as it can screen for the counter/defence.

Cavani needs to start as one of the two up front regardless of what we do cause he'll press.

Rashford needs to be dropped.

Covid isn't helping with all the time off.

choccy77

I've never seen a team of such a big club unable to string simple passes together.

Every game we give the ball away and even on a 3 on 1 situation somehow we give the ball away to the 1

It never happened like this until the last half of last season and most of this season.

We should have lost this one.

The Hilton

Maguire gave the ball away so much. Also always sold out by Maguire passing it too him while he is pressed.
This is what I mean about the agenda, Varane was orders of magnitude worse tonight, but he isn't public enemy number slab head, so his awful performance gets excused as somehow being Maguire's fault.

Blake's 7

No one showed for the ball in midfield at all, leaving Maguire to lump it forward aimlessly or pass the ball sideways. Too much whining, no one willing to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and seize control and dictate the tempo☹

Fully Fledged

Conte’s first few games didn’t set the world alight either

Even if they did….it’s still 3 league games. It’s 7 points out if 9 and 1 conceded

Relax ffs
It was Crystal Palace, Norwich and Newcastle and we looked awful in all of them.

Ollie Derbyshire

That's subjective, I personally don't like Conte, I don't think he's what we need.

But RR surely needs another few weeks to get things sorted, with a training ground that's fully open and a playing squad that's fully fit and free from viruses?
He does but let’s see what he does, will he drop Rashford, Bruno or Maguire? I hope he has the courage but I’m not sure. He talks of intensity, how will he change this? Conte seems to have changed a similar issue at Spurs with a few weeks more training so let’s see.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
This is what I mean about the agenda, Varane was orders of magnitude worse tonight, but he isn't public enemy number slab head, so his awful performance gets excused as somehow being Maguire's fault.
Sorry, I disagree. Maguire was just as bad but is captain and cost £80m

Gfooty

12th december
Leicester vs Newcastle 4:0

16th december
Liverpool vs Newcastle 3:1

19th december
Newcastle vs Man City 4:0

27th december
Newcastle vs Man Utd 1:1

This should give anyone a good indication of where United is quality wise

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The passing needs to improve a lot. The forwards gave the ball away a lot, which is never a good thing, but when your midfielder is in the top 5 in the list below, then there's a big issue in the build up phase.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
The passing needs to improve a lot. The forwards gave the ball away a lot, which is never a good thing, but when your midfielder is in the top 5 in the list below, then there's a big issue in the build up phase.

Whoever said McTominay was MoM. :nervous:

Okey

Still hard to process that. Painful to watch. Where to start? Is it really possible so many of our players are just not up to scratch? First order of business is a new midfield pair. Preferably January. Latest summer. It's impossible to achieve anything with McFred in the middle. Tonight wasn't just about them of course, but that's one area we have no hope with what we have now.

The Hilton

@The Hilton - said they gave the ball away the same!
Yeah but look what those giveaways led to - Maguire's led to them recycling the ball at the back, whereas Varane's led to their goal, along with most of their other good chances.

Sorry, I disagree. Maguire was just as bad but is captain and cost £80m
Fair enough, I don't think he was as bad, and he cost less in context than Varane, who cost £42m with only 1 year left on his contract.

Anyway, think we'll have to agree to disagree here. Blaming Varane's awful game on Maguire just isn't rational in my book.

goatboy

Same old same old, but given it's the same old players is it really that much of a surprise?

Too many players at the club are dreadfully lacking basic concentration, and that speaks directly to a lack of professionalism, and character, on their part.

I'd like to see Maguire stripped of the captaincy personally; too often he sets the tone early doors and the rest follow suit.

Reactions: oates

Devil may care

If you'd been in a coma since October and just woke up to see that game you wouldn't think anything had changed.

Alemar

Blaming Varane's awful game on Maguire just isn't rational in my book.
Maguire has been consistently poor this season (and actually earlier, too). Whereas Varane has never been consistently shit previously

TheRedDevil2019

The team had more balance and flow in attack with Sancho and Cavani. I'd start them both on Thursday, other than those pair and DDG the rest were drivel.

Felt for CR7 with the piss poor service also.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

Passing has been the clear issue in all the games we've had under Ralf.

Rashford and Bruno in particular from the eye test have been particularly poor. The decision making on too of just passing, has me tearing my hair out every game.

After that, it's so clear how poor the two CMs are at passing forward. They're getting horrifically exposed for their lack of vision. People may say DVB needs a chance, but not even sure he has that in his locker.

lex talionis

Medieval torture, that. It's as though Ole is still at the wheel.

What exactly goes on in "training" at Carrington?

sparx99

The passing is just being rushed. I get the desire to play vertical passes and get forward quickly but our players seem to hear that and think I have to go route one. Maybe it’s just rustiness and nerves.

DSG

Attitude, shite
Tactics, shite
Finishing, shite
Movement, shite
Defending, shite
Passing, shite
Workrate, shite
Management, shite

RedAlways78

We need time to settle into the new managers style. That doesn’t happen overnight. So dogshit performances like can happen.

minoo-utd

The passing is just being rushed. I get the desire to play vertical passes and get forward quickly but our players seem to hear that and think I have to go route one. Maybe it’s just rustiness and nerves.
This what I think too. Made us lose the ball so quickly and players adjustment was not up to it, playing lot out of positions. But there was no excuse that some was panicking once we lose the ball. Our four back can’t do even simple passes up front which make me asking what are we doing on training sessions?

Moiraine

Rashford should really consider doing charity work for the rest of his life, have mercy on United and leave football. What a disgusting disgraceful performances over the past months.

Jacko21

This is nothing new, but it’s remarkable how poorly we handle these occasions. When the opponent (and their fans) sense a scalp, rather then taking the edge out of the game by exerting control, we do the opposite. We encourage them, we cede the initiative and give opposition supporters all the ammunition they need.

Teams sense blood against us. Time and time again. It just makes the business of winning games needlessly difficult.

All too often we look thoroughly unfocused from a mindset point of view. Particularly in away games.

RedMilo

If we are to play 4-2-2-2, then a narrow team MUST have a strong spine.

Maguire, Varane, McT, Fred and CR7 were all really poor today in this area of the team.

Ronaldo's attitude is shocking when things aren't going his way, can only have a negative impact on those around him. Mardy fecker. Thought Rangnick bottled it by not subbing him instead took the easy option and subbed Greenwood.

Cavani has to start against Burnley.

Thought Dalot looked lively. DDG what a save at the end.

TJ Reid

Supports
Arsenal
The club and team is a unique mess with no director of football, and a different manager every other season. Woodward is a disaster and Ferguson must be thinking wtf

Dante

Average bang
The best thing during (most of) Ole's reign was that even if we were 0-1 down at halftime, I always felt we had a chance of turning it around in the second half.

But today was an utter capitulation. No fight, no effort, no urgency.

The players are almost all the same as last season. They just seem to have bought into their own hype.

Ole's cultural reset was about flushing out the Galactico mentality that was left over from the LvG and Jose eras. The previous manager did that pretty well for the most part. Unfortunately, it seems to have been creeping back in since the Euros. There's a handful of star names who think they're too big to be making sacrifices for the sake of the team.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Attitude, shite
Tactics, shite
Finishing, shite
Movement, shite
Defending, shite
Passing, shite
Workrate, shite
Management, shite
Goalkeeping, pretty decent :drool:

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
The club and team is a unique mess with no director of football, and a different manager every other season. Woodward is a disaster and Ferguson must be thinking wtf
Different manager every other season?

We've given every permanent manager other than Moyes at least 2 full seasons. Way more than any other big club has given their underperforming managers.

Ole got nearly 3 years and Jose got nearly 2.5 years

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I feel the most logical course of action is to pass further judgment till we have another run of games on our hands to evaluate , These are exceptional circumstances (covid change mid season etc etc ) so we need a bigger sample size

I'm afraid at this point the only way to salvage our season trophy wise is ucl and or fa cup and that seems like a pipe dream at this point.

Top 4 will prove a lot harder then I expected ,spurs have found their strike and and arsenal are rejuvenated

Last edited:

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 90% of 292 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 298 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win