PL D FA Premier League

Newcastle United 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Mon, 27 December 2021

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He does but let’s see what he does, will he drop Rashford, Bruno or Maguire? I hope he has the courage but I’m not sure. He talks of intensity, how will he change this? Conte seems to have changed a similar issue at Spurs with a few weeks more training so let’s see.
The difference is Conte has had a few weeks of intense training, before Covid hot.
Ralf hasn't, so hopefully now with everyone back, the training ground fully open, we should see an improvement.
If we don't then we can definitely moan.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Okay - I watched all that. On my TV. In high definition. Yes Cavani was good. Dave too. Big issues with composure in defence and beating their press. Varane had a poor game; Harry not much better. I’d have preferred Shaw and AWB. Of the outfield players (aside from Edinson), I thought Bruno tried in an unfamiliar setup. Ronnie was okay, but honestly, he needs to be dropped for a while. Fred wasn’t good. Sancho disappointed. Greenwood was just okay. Matic improved things when he came on.

I saw in here that Rashford had a shot while I was making me a cuppa. Good for him. I didn’t think he contributed much.

croadyman

Unjust and undeserved result.

We should have lost.

Sell rashford, sack everyone else.
Yeah thoroughly deserved to lose, apparently first time since OPTA stats they had double the shots on target to us

Ollie Derbyshire

The difference is Conte has had a few weeks of intense training, before Covid hot.
Ralf hasn't, so hopefully now with everyone back, the training ground fully open, we should see an improvement.
If we don't then we can definitely moan.
I’m going to moan anyway, we shouldn’t need intense training to put in good performances against Newcastle and Norwich. We’ve played just as bad in these ones as any before he came. We’re meant to get a managers bounce haha.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
De Gea saved us in this match. We played poorly, and if it wasn't for Dalot taking big risks on that forward movement (usually a full back moves forward on the bulid-up, not expecting a direct pass as it happened there) and Cavani determination we would had lost fair and square.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I’m going to moan anyway, we shouldn’t need intense training to put in good performances against Newcastle and Norwich. We’ve played just as bad in these ones as any before he came. We’re meant to get a managers bounce haha.
We have. We're unbeaten under RR so far, Spurs under Conte are not.

You need intense training for any game, otherwise the small percentage that makes the difference is lost at premiership level.

croadyman

De Gea 9/10 and MOTM for us.

Cavani 7/10, scored a goal.

The rest including the subs 1/10 for me

As for Ralf, my patience is running thin for him but I am willing to give him more time to sort things out.
I still hold out hope we can find that intensity against Palace again, however do think it shows he is only going to be here for six months which is the right decision.

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
Not sure how we get top 4 as of now - which means set the timer back to maybe 3 years before a real title challenge.

You blink and its been 10 fecking years since we had a chance to win the league; meanwhile City have won 6 of the last 10.

:houllier::rolleyes:

BorisManUtd

Luckily I didn't watch this game, poor result and poor performance judging by other fans' comments.

Next one is Burnley at home. We usually struggle in that fixture so it could be tricky even though they only have 1 win this season so far (but so do Newcastle and they almost beat us tonight).

United are frustrating under every manager it seems :lol:

Ogaranya

This team needs an overhauling, we are suffering from the negative effect of recruiting and giving average players huge contracts,

Ralf needs to get tough with them, pampering them (esp. Rashford) makes them lazy

This is unacceptable
Mcfred are average and should be sold, I cant believe that we fans were made to go through the midfield art of scholes, carrick ,giggs to these two technically deficit average players.

Drain the swamp
Bissouma, Kessie, Luka jovic , Nkunku, Haidara, Kamara
Two of them in January please sweet Ralf

tomaldinho1

The hope is there still hasn’t been much training work done and some of the coaches are very new/just joining. If we look like this once we’ve had a couple of weeks non stop start training, let’s see.

RazorOz

Absolute shit on a stick performance. The formation of the team isn't working for me, the 4-2-2-2 if it was meant to be that looked more like a 4-2-4 today, way too big a gap between Fred/McTominay and the front 4, way too much space in wide areas for the opposition. I'm not sure any outfield player was over a 5/10, they were all horrific.

hobbers

Hard to believe we had 70% possession.

I'm sure at least 20% of the possession in the game was captain brainfart standing with the ball on the halfway line making a simple pass look like cracking the enigma code.

Zevvythered

The hope is there still hasn’t been much training work done and some of the coaches are very new/just joining. If we look like this once we’ve had a couple of weeks non stop start training, let’s see.
What the hell!! Mate he is playing the same underachievers that Ole did week in week out.
The club now is rotten we have Bruno and Ronaldo looking to blame everyone else.
Ralf and this shit 4222 formation is another disaster, imagine having the calibre of players at your finger tips and you put in two performances like that against the bottom 2 in the league…

This is a guy the glaziers brought in to help the team and then the club, the guy is a fraud and shouldn’t be shown the door as soon as possible… Do any off us really think this guy helped coach Pep and Klopp .

Fitchett

Nauseating listening to the Sky commentary team jizzing over Newcastle like they are top of the league or something.
Yes, that pissed me off no end. Aren't commentators supposed to be neutral? Considering how crap we were, if Newcastle were as good as they were making out, how come they only had 30% possession and couldn't beat us?

ManU Irish

Okay - I watched all that. On my TV. In high definition. Yes Cavani was good. Dave too. Big issues with composure in defence and beating their press. Varane had a poor game; Harry not much better. I’d have preferred Shaw and AWB. Of the outfield players (aside from Edinson), I thought Bruno tried in an unfamiliar setup. Ronnie was okay, but honestly, he needs to be dropped for a while. Fred wasn’t good. Sancho disappointed. Greenwood was just okay. Matic improved things when he came on.

I saw in here that Rashford had a shot while I was making me a cuppa. Good for him. I didn’t think he contributed much.
Ronnie ok? Matic improved things? Ronaldo is a big part of the problem. In modern football you can’t play with 10 at best without the ball. Matic laid on their last chance that hit the post and then DeGea save. Once we are looking at players like Matic in a Utd shirt we will be no where near competing.

Reactions: oates

Orange Tree

Fred and Rashford were particularly embarrassing in the first half. Felt like every attack broke down with them.

Fred was aptly substituted, and Rashford stayed on. He improved in second half, but still not good enough.

Ronaldo was marked out of the game. Non existent.

Bruno kept rushing things. Sometimes it works, this time it didn't. Terrible performance.

Denis79

Hard to believe we had 70% possession.

I'm sure at least 20% of the possession in the game was captain brainfart standing with the ball on the halfway line making a simple pass look like cracking the enigma code.
Atleast we weren't fed the we won the possession crap after the game. We were terrible.

Drifter

American
Poor performance, We were lucky that we got a draw. Poor passing and nervous at the back ,it was as if Ole never left , thank goodness for individual play from Cavani and De Gea.

Luke1995

We really should try to extend Cavani's contract. My guess is he'll leave at the end of the season, unfortunately...

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Just finished watching full highlights. Starting to struggle to see how this squad fits RR's style. Bruno looks lost, the defenders exposed in possession, and our attack blunt.

Early days yet, and hard to know how prepared we are going into games right now, but there's a lot of players really off their game when you would expect them to be turning it on for the new manager. Reckon many had it too easy for too long under Ole.

Jimmyheals

Overall, we were poor and very lucky to snatch a point. De Gea saved us that point. Saint-Maximilian was an absolute pleasure, and irritation to watch. He tore Dalot and the rest of our back line to shreds. What would he be if he put that together weekly.

I am obviously in the minority here but I thought Rashford was our best outfield player today. He played a deeper role than I would have expected and seemed to be more of a midfielder with his involvement and continuous passing. He also beat players on the dribble and had some of his long range efforts, it was one of his more vintage performances. He still needs to improve, but today was poor across the side so there was little to work with.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Rangnick needs to stop fecking around and start dropping players who have reputation for starting games but are in a poor form and clearly not good enough right now: Maguire and Rashford are top of that list. Bruno should also get some competition. He is not as bad as Maguire and Rashy, but far from automatic starter.

As for Ronaldo....

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
What the hell!! Mate he is playing the same underachievers that Ole did week in week out.
The club now is rotten we have Bruno and Ronaldo looking to blame everyone else.
Ralf and this shit 4222 formation is another disaster, imagine having the calibre of players at your finger tips and you put in two performances like that against the bottom 2 in the league…

This is a guy the glaziers brought in to help the team and then the club, the guy is a fraud and shouldn’t be shown the door as soon as possible… Do any off us really think this guy helped coach Pep and Klopp .
What is t his rubbish gibberish?

Nobody ever said anything about Rangnick and Pep, and nobody would because Pep is not really part of the same school of play. As for Klopp, believe whatever you want, but Klopp himself gave Rangnick accolades and said he was influenced, so what you believe really doesn't matter.

Get your facts straight and even when you rant, you kinda have to make sense.

SirMonteyne

It's all about midfielders, any managers and any world-class players will suffer from McTominay in 2 men midfield. His positional game never gives space for attacking players, he disappears when the team is attacking also when defending.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
The games since Rangnick took over should be a reality check for us fans. It seems there is a deep-rooted attitude problem in that squad and there also some players who are simply not as good as we may have thought they were. When the same group of players grossly underperform for two different managers then I tend to think that the manager is not the problem. Not to say that Ole shouldn't have gone, it was the right decision, but certain players should really be questioned as to whether they are truly United calibre.

Matst1

Overall, we were poor and very lucky to snatch a point. De Gea saved us that point. Saint-Maximilian was an absolute pleasure, and irritation to watch. He tore Dalot and the rest of our back line to shreds. What would he be if he put that together weekly.

I am obviously in the minority here but I thought Rashford was our best outfield player today. He played a deeper role than I would have expected and seemed to be more of a midfielder with his involvement and continuous passing. He also beat players on the dribble and had some of his long range efforts, it was one of his more vintage performances. He still needs to improve, but today was poor across the side so there was little to work with.
Wow, amazing insight. Rashford was the worst player on the pitch by far. Didn’t beat anyone and yeah, his long rangers hit row z. In fact, I’m wondering if you know who rashford is?

Damon1559

Personally, I am willing to give the team and RR the benefit of the doubt for that performance. The mixture of the whole new setup, games being postponed and Covid added into the mix hasn't made anything easier you would imagine. I am currently just getting over Covid myself and I attempted to run up the stairs this morning and I had to look behind me to check if my intestines had fallen out of my hole! I can sympathize with the players who have had Covid recently. (I don't think we know who has and hasn't had it in fairness)

I would imagine that it will take another few weeks of training and matches before we start to see any real development in the style and play the team are transitioning towards.

Reactions: Jippy

caid

We play too many strikers. Play more than 2 midfielders and we'll stop looking so utterly inept.

Alek M

Da manic one
We need 10 new players.
Why Ronaldo didn’t play?
Abysmal
We tried some nice quick passing except the third pass was always to Newcastle. They pressed us all over the pitch while we were poor at pressing.

Last edited:

rollingstoned1

It looks like 2 weeks off didn't help. I read the DDG interview where he said the training sessions have gotten more intense, might that also have something to do with this lackluster display?

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 90% of 292 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 298 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Newcastle win
  • Draw