PL W FA Premier League

Norwich City 1:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 27 October 2019

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Great win. We need to build on this momentum.

The whole Martial thing is ridiculous. If you look at our past, this sort of hero-building-while-they're-away has been done again and again and again. Herrera, Pogba and even Michael fking Carrick.

Just play better, entertain us and win
Fletcher was the biggest one ever.
In his absence, he was elevated to all time world class midfielder levels

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Norwich are a poor team but that was a good win (though I only got to see the highlgihts) so no complaints. We struggled against other terrible teams already this season so it should be seen as a positive to dispatch them so easily. I really hope this is the start of a good run of form (I'm refusing to believe it will be, because all we've had are false dawns for the last six years) and if Ole somehow does do the unprecedented and turn things around I'll happily eat humble pie and apologise to all those on here who've defended him so profusely!

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Fully expected us to lose both against Partizan and against Norwich and we won both.

These games are exactly the type that we never win with this current squad and yet it seemed pretty comfortable.

What the hell do we have to do to start scoring penalties?

Glad Garner and Greenwood got more minutes, glad Martial is back, glad we won. 3 points, happy days.

buckooo1978

best performance of the season by a distance

we really could and should have won 6/7

we will need to develop our sharpness in front of goal

Chairman Steve

Good performance. Missing two penalties is a bit ridiculous though. We played probably the most ideal team for OGS' style of play. He needs to get this kind of performance against teams who park the bus, which is our kryptonite and what most teams who will play against us will do.

bonothom

That's a lot better. Should have had 6 today but for their keeper. Why can't United players take decent penalties these days. I think it's gonna be an up and down season to be honest. They really needed to have signed a midfielder and striker in the summer. Having not done that they're gonna struggle to get top 4. Still not impossible but today highlighted the fact if Martial gets injured as he has been then we struggle as there is no cover

BestRed

Delighted with that, end to a good week, predicted the right score and all for once :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Good performance. Missing two penalties is a bit ridiculous though. We played probably the most ideal team for OGS' style of play. He needs to get this kind of performance against teams who park the bus, which is our kryptonite and what most teams who will play against us will do.
Norwich parked the bus when the game was goalless.

Lentwood

Some bullet-point opinions

- Maguire and Lindelof definitely add something to the team on the ball

- AWB a great defender, a very average attacker right now

- Young...let’s not ruin the positivity :-)

- McTominay immense bar stupid, slack error at the end

- Fred managed to look like a footballer

- Pereira showed that, purely as a #10, can be a useful player. Not a winger or a deep-midfielder but takes up some good positions and has nice feet

- James good again, not sure why he looked for the penalty over driving for goal

- Rashford good on the left

- Martial makes such a difference at CF, good with back to goal and scares defenders with his pace and tricky

Norwich very poor. They’re going down based on that. Far too open, far too reliant on Pukki for goals. Not sure why Hernandez didn’t start, at least tried to make something happen. Max Aarons looked a nice prospect

matt10000

It's incredible, isn't it?
We think we're trash, but we won 1 game and we're 7th, above Spurs and 3 behind Arse.
Well yes its still october and there are only 3 points between 7th place and 16th place and only 5 points between 7th place and the relegation zone which is why i think it is bonkers that so many come on here calling for Ole to be sacked.

Handré1990

Can't remember when I've seen us play the ball as quick and crisp as that in the first half. If that is something we've been working on all this time, can't understand why we've not seen it more often but, not complaining if we can build on that.

I had good feeling about this game and getting a performance but, that is because I thought Norwich would have a go. They sat back and that we were able to create chances despite that, which is even more pleasing. Excellent, ball movement, interplay, movement and helped having McTomminay bossing midfield like that.

I'll even take giving up the chances we did for at least trying to be more proactive. Only concern I have is the CBs when we are playing more aggressive going forward, seems like they get so scared and back off when other team gets running at them on a break and get put on their asses. They are going to end up in more situations like that and have to defend those better.

Perreira was very good, he did a lot of the pressing which am not sure Pogba would have given us, so it's going to be a delicate balance when Pogba comes back and maybe takes that position

Onwards and upwards.
Very true. A lot of nice combinations in the middle of the park. I actually noticed that we tried to play it into feet vs Partizan. The difference was that it was Lingard who took up the spaces that Martial occupied today. A lot of probing passes to feet in that game, which most of the time Lingard didn’t manage to do anything with. Not just Lingard of course, Martial didn’t have a good game, but for all the talk of Lingard’s movement, I think he’s been ruining a lot of moves by actually being in the way. Like his run in the same space as James in the last attack vs Liverpool, where Rashford got stick for not playing the ball.

Like you, I thought Pereira had a pretty good first half, he doesn’t just go at it, but tries to pay attention to where his team mates are.

Handré1990

Also, really annoying to see Krul get away with cheating. Aren’t any of our other players paying attention to him taking two steps off the line, and pointing it out to the ref? Glad to see Ole mention it, because he can be a little too timid in raising hell to get refs and other officials to notice.

McTominay was amazing today.

Ludens the Red

Good result and good performance to boot. Still a bit hard to gauge where we are as Norwich defend like a bunch of nutcases but if it wasn’t already obvious. Open spaces are very good for James, Rashford and Martial.

Withnail

Also, really annoying to see Krul get away with cheating. Aren’t any of our other players paying attention to him taking two steps off the line, and pointing it out to the ref? Glad to see Ole mention it, because he can be a little too timid in raising hell to get refs and other officials to notice.

McTominay was amazing today.
It really should be getting checked by VAR like the goals are for offside etc.

He did well to save them but it should have been spotted by the officials.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
And my God, isn't it refreshing to be in here and have positive comments floating around every thread. Christ, this place was getting me down.

OverratedOpinion

As bad as everything has been, I have kept thinking that if we could win 3 games on the bounce everything would improve drastically. This should have been number two after Liverpool but it's a good start at least.

Norwich are rubbish and their manager looks like he is smelling his own farts and is conflicted as to whether he likes the smell or not.

Siorac

An actual good performance. I almost forgot what that feels like.

I really hope it's not a one-off and we can go on a run now.

IrishMcD

I am struggling to understand how Ashley Young has an average score of 4.9 for that performance today, that was as far from a 5/10 performance as I have ever seen, he was absolutely horrendous. I would even go as far as to say it was the worst game I have ever seen him play. Abysmal

Velvet Revolver

Some bullet-point opinions

- Maguire and Lindelof definitely add something to the team on the ball

- AWB a great defender, a very average attacker right now

- Young...let’s not ruin the positivity :-)

- McTominay immense bar stupid, slack error at the end

- Fred managed to look like a footballer

- Pereira showed that, purely as a #10, can be a useful player. Not a winger or a deep-midfielder but takes up some good positions and has nice feet

- James good again, not sure why he looked for the penalty over driving for goal

- Rashford good on the left

- Martial makes such a difference at CF, good with back to goal and scares defenders with his pace and tricky

Norwich very poor. They’re going down based on that. Far too open, far too reliant on Pukki for goals. Not sure why Hernandez didn’t start, at least tried to make something happen. Max Aarons looked a nice prospect
Good summary.

Another thing I noted is our energy levels were quite good. Previously against smaller teams we tend to be a little lose but today we were quite solid.

a good left back and a stronger midfielder and we are on to something

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It was nice to enjoy a game for a change. Only Norwich sure, but some nice football, and we actually looked to pounce on them when winning the ball back.

Redbandito

We really need an upgrade on Fred/Pereira though.
This!!! I’ve thought it the entire season, but I walked away again thinking that we won’t contend for top 4 until Pereira and Fred no longer feature in our starting squad. Both of them have poor vision, zero sense of where they are on the pitch, and no ability to link passes. They both dribble too much and give the ball away in dangerous areas.

On a separate note, I’m very intrigued by Garner. I know we were up by a lot and that he didn’t have much responsibility to push the ball forward, but his movement off the ball was good and he played simple. He’s young, but I want to see him pick up more minutes against lesser opponents. He looks to have something in my opinion.

Man of the Match

Scott McTominay image Scott McTominay 48% of 570 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 393 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Norwich win
  • Draw