PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 4:0 Norwich City

Post-match discussion

Sat, 11 January 2020

Red00012

When I got into the ground and took a look at who started and seen Mata, Matic and Pereira on the pitch I thought "here we go, bottom team about to turn us over on our own turf". I got it completely wrong but the 4-0 scoreline absolutely flattered us.
What are you talking about ? We completely dominated them .

You seem almost disappointed .

cyril C

Satisfied supporter. 4 goals and no goal conceded the way the bottom club in the PL should be beaten in Old Trafford. Norwich drew with Leicester and Spurs recently so a job well done by United today.
If you had left your seat early at the 40th min for toilet break, then yes you should be satisfied.

Judas

Open to offers
If you had left your seat early at the 40th min for toilet break, then yes you should be satisfied.
We took our foot off when the game was won. Loads of teams do it, we've done it often for decades. Yeah it can be a bit disappointing, and I think we'd all rather see the team rack up a cricket score, but thats life.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
You can both be happy & take pleasure out of winning a game 4-0 whilst at the same time looking at the bigger picture.

It’s not that hard
This. It just requires a bit of abstract thought

Feed Me

I'm hungry
That was a very satisfying win and it is always most pleasing when it is the forwards banging the goals in.

That said, we have had heaps of these false dawns under Solskjaer and the key to turning the corner is to get a concerted winning run going.

I find it hard to see how we are going to build momentum with our callow squad and tough fixture list.

OrcaFat

It wasn't a co-ordinated high press of the kind that wins trophies these days. Conventional wing back play really plus an exploitation of mistakes.
That sounds a bit unreasonable but even if broadly accurate, we the job on the day. There is a case for setting up the best way you can with the players you have against the opposition. But you do have to have one eye on long term development. It’s the problem all managers have - to simultaneously try to win and also to develop as a team and a club. Unless you have the right players you can’t click your fingers and get both straight away.

I’m not sure if you believe this but some people seem to think you can just look at Liverpool and say “that’s how you win - just play like that”.

pascell

Yeah nearly fell off my seat that we actually scored from a corner. I really thought that was Maguire's first goal but Tony beat him to the ball.

What did you think about the anti Glazers/Woodward chanting today out of interest?
RE the chants, I was surprised, couldnt make out the first chant until my old man told me (funnily enough it was the singing section in the Stretford End that Woodward gave the thumbs up to), then I was pleasantly surprised. Was it just because Norwich wear Green and Gold (well yellow) or have they actually had enough? The chants went on for a good 10-20 minutes and the part is interesting, after chanting anti-Glazer and Woodward chants, they followed it up with 'Ole, Ole, Ole' so they're clearly fully backing the manager, just not the board or owners.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
There's very little point watching what is essentially just a form of entertainment if you can't take pleasure out of us winning a game 4-0, it's a depressing and tiring way to be. Plenty of us are worried about the club, have issues with the manager and the board, but to be just as moany and depressing after a good win as you would be after a loss is just sad.
Truer words have seldom been written on interwebs.

OrcaFat

That was a very satisfying win and it is always most pleasing when it is the forwards banging the goals in.

That said, we have had heaps of these false dawns under Solskjaer and the key to turning the corner is to get a concerted winning run going.

I find it hard to see how we are going to build momentum with our callow squad and tough fixture list.
To say we’ve turned the corner (or to say we haven’t) is pretty pointless. Maybe there was a point where we stopped getting worse, who knows? But there’s no sudden transformation from shite to brilliant is there. Winning runs are always good but improvement is where you play better and/or get good results more often.

We start slowly climbing the table, despite still playing poorly and still losing sometimes because those shite days don’t come quite as often as before. And at the end of the season - boom, we’re 4th! (Or 5th).

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
Great to have support like you at the club. Badly needed.
Let's call a shit manager shit. The only major thing he has going on for him, is that he's United legend, as a player. Take that away, he's comfortably the worse manager we've had on reputation and on results. And he shouldn't have been given the permanent position. Oh, and I support the club, not the manager. It's rather foolish to think he's gonna be a 'Guardiola at at Barca' part 2 all of a sudden. Or even a fraction of what Sir Alex was; based on what we have seen. I'm all up for giving a progressive manager time to develop his team here. When Ole comes up with crap like “I don’t want them playing that sort of football – I want them playing proper football", it's hard to find support him. Gleaming like an idiot after loses doesn't help at all.

So far, he doesn't look like a good manager. And more time given, more players signed, he may even start to look competitive. But at that point with a better manager, we would be far ahead, than with this Clueless One.

Icemav

Mata and Matic were very good. Food for thought. Dont think they suit when we play on the counter attack however we had much more control yesterday when we needed to break down a team sitting deep. Loved how we moved the ball around yesterday and kept probing and pressuring them.

cyril C

We took our foot off when the game was won. Loads of teams do it, we've done it often for decades. Yeah it can be a bit disappointing, and I think we'd all rather see the team rack up a cricket score, but thats life.
Are you serious? At 40th min, 1-0 up, and game was won? City could have eased off at 40th after taking the lead 3-0, but not us. I didn't mind we eased off after 3-0 but only with such cushion and towards the last 20min. Those 5min was ugly, careless, and probably unprofessional, had we conceded a goal.

Icemav

Let's call a shit manager shit. The only major thing he has going on for him, is that he's United legend, as a player. Take that away, he's comfortably the worse manager we've had on reputation and on results. And he shouldn't have been given the permanent position. Oh, and I support the club, not the manager. It's rather foolish to think he's gonna be a 'Guardiola at at Barca' part 2 all of a sudden. Or even a fraction of what Sir Alex was; based on what we have seen. I'm all up for giving a progressive manager time to develop his team here. When Ole comes up with crap like “I don’t want them playing that sort of football – I want them playing proper football", it's hard to find support him. Gleaming like an idiot after loses doesn't help at all.

So far, he doesn't look like a good manager. And more time given, more players signed, he may even start to look competitive. But at that point with a better manager, we would be far ahead, than with this Clueless One.
I recommend just trying to support the effort of the manager and the players this season. We are not going to buy our way out of this hole and Ole and the boys are trying to create a foundation. Arguably the best strategy right now is to do what we are doing bringing through youth and develop what we have. Rashford is on fire / Martial's workrate is right up / Greenwood is being handled perfectly and flourishing / Williams brought through and looking good (and more academy products to follow I am sure). We still have a lot of issues to sort out but despite all this currently we are 5th and could push on for top 4. This is where we need to be with hopefully very strong foundations being laid at the club. Then is the time to see if Ole needs replacing and also sprinkle in some top signings as icing on the cake.

Oh I forgot.... Glazers / Woodward Out!

Last edited:

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

He's such a bad and clueless manager that the only criticism that you put in this post was what he has said in the press.

Can you objectively and without emotion explain factually what he is getting so wrong?

Gator Nate

Fun match to watch. Thought all four goals were good.

Disappointed in Norwich, I've watched probably half their matches this year and they showed little of the usual heart the do. Pukki is the lifeblood of that team and Cantwell tried, and failed, to carry them. They are not a good team, though.

Ole got it right. We were pretty much on the front foot all day, attacking almost at will. For all the complaints that he can't break down the bottom feeders, we've recently hung 4 each on Newcastle and Norwich, and beat Burnley's thug unit while keeping a clean sheet.

Mata was my man of the match. Controlled things very well and his two assists were beautiful.

Rashford was superb. Martial's off ball work was excellent. Williams is so much fun to watch. Greenwood is an assasin.

No real complaints against anyone today.

I can't wait for Wolves at home and would line this same squad up - Wolves aren't as pacey as the rest of the top teams and Mata/Matic will help more than hurt.

OrcaFat

Where to start with this doom fest. We had two managers with incredible CVs and you know where that got us. And some will say Jose and LVG were shite despite their CVs and wanted Poch (he turned out shite as well).

We’ve got a guy who, within a year, has got us playing much better than at any time since SAF. You’d think that would cheer some people up. It cheers me up anyway.

OrcaFat

That Williams miss though :lol: bet he's gutted about that
Yeah it was a shame.

We have to bear in mind he has so little experience of that happening. Because he has basically no experience. Like a few of the guys Ole has the guts to play instead of persisting with Young, Valencia, Lukaku (Matic, unless desperate). Feels better to see Brandon miss than one of those lot score (when we’re already cruising that is). Hope he keeps his chin up and smacks one in next time.

glazed

I’m not sure if you believe this but some people seem to think you can just look at Liverpool and say “that’s how you win - just play like that”.
Well it's self evidently true as witnessed by Liverpool. But obviously you need Klopp and that particular set of players to do that, so it's not an intelligent thing to say.

It would be better to say that Klopp, Poch and Pep have, to different degrees and with variations, identified a more sophisticated brand of tactics that are more likely to win games, all other things being equal. And Ole has not.

Zen86

Well it's self evidently true as witnessed by Liverpool. But obviously you need Klopp and that particular set of players to do that, so it's not an intelligent thing to say.

It would be better to say that Klopp, Poch and Pep have, to different degrees and with variations, identified a more sophisticated brand of tactics that are more likely to win games, all other things being equal. And Ole has not.
Poch is up there with Klopp and Pep now is he?

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Just don't understand this United team. From one week to the next you never know what you are gonna get.
It was like this is 04-05 if I remember correctly. We used to be so inconsistent it was unreal. At least that's how I feel regarding that time. Then it all clicked when it team matured. Just hope history repeats itself.

Btw, is Williams left footed or right footed? He seems good with both feet!

Gasolin

That sounds a bit unreasonable but even if broadly accurate, we the job on the day. There is a case for setting up the best way you can with the players you have against the opposition. But you do have to have one eye on long term development. It’s the problem all managers have - to simultaneously try to win and also to develop as a team and a club. Unless you have the right players you can’t click your fingers and get both straight away.

They would even be more disappointed because Liverpool doesn't play like City at all, if anything, it's just a very intense counter pressing, counter attack and direct team. It would drive them crazy to realize that since they bashed Ole for wanting to play like that.

Last edited:

Gasolin

It was like this is 04-05 if I remember correctly. We used to be so inconsistent it was unreal. At least that's how I feel regarding that time. Then it all clicked when it team matured. Just hope history repeats itself.

Btw, is Williams left footed or right footed? He seems good with both feet!
Williams seems to be right footed but he does seem to be able to use his left foot.

Gasolin

He is trying to implement a tactical formation that will never win trophies. He hasn't got the coaching skill to implement one that could.
Could you describe our tactical formation?
And then, could you describe the tactical formation Liverpool has had in the last 4 years?

Gasolin

This place is full of tactical experts :)
I gave up on tactics a while ago. To be honest, I really think there's a component of players abilities influencing the game that is beyond tactics. I understand principles, I understand some specific instructions, but I also think, as LVG would sometimes say, it's about thinking by yourself to adapt and become unpredictable and induce defensive mistakes. Otherwise, you have to be a robotic team like Pep likes to do and those can be predictable.

Anyway, I want to know the tactics we use and I'd love to hear what is the tactical analysis of the same person regarding Liverpool. And then we can compare.

I am obviously talking about tactics, not the execution, since the tactical formation is never going to win any trophies, allegedly.

dev1l

I gave up on tactics a while ago. To be honest, I really think there's a component of players abilities influencing the game that is beyond tactics. I understand principles, I understand some specific instructions, but I also think, as LVG would sometimes say, it's about thinking by yourself to adapt and become unpredictable and induce defensive mistakes. Otherwise, you have to be a robotic team like Pep likes to do and those can be predictable.

Anyway, I want to know the tactics we use and I'd love to hear what is the tactical analysis of the same person regarding Liverpool. And then we can compare.

I am obviously talking about tactics, not the execution, since the tactical formation is never going to win any trophies, allegedly.
My comment was tongue in cheek and I was not referring to your post specifically.
I share the same views as you, unlike some posters who talk about tactics all the time without knowing what they re talking about.

glazed

Could you describe our tactical formation?
And then, could you describe the tactical formation Liverpool has had in the last 4 years?
Well it's very over-simplified - but I would say we aim for wing play, speed up front and counter-attacking football. I'm not sure we are that good at staying in formation though.

Liverpool aim for possession, positional nous and playing as far up the field as possible. But there's a lot more to it than that.

Red00012

He’s bought decent compared to the last few managers. He’s introduced Brandon Williams , Dan James to PL football and they are the future.
He’s Greenwood been introduced to PL football gradually and has been a shining light. He has got Fred playing his best season for the club. He’s realized Rashford best position and he’s on fire. He’s playing Martial in his favoured position and we’ve seen the rewards. We’ve had our stand out player out all season whether people like him or not. He’s clearing deadwood and more to follow this summer I hope.

Granted results aren’t as good as some of these individual performances but patience and a bit of backing and this will come I hope.

rotherham_red

When I got into the ground and took a look at who started and seen Mata, Matic and Pereira on the pitch I thought "here we go, bottom team about to turn us over on our own turf". I got it completely wrong but the 4-0 scoreline absolutely flattered us.
Flattered :lol::houllier:

1-0 at HT was a pisstake considering how much territorial dominance we had and if not for us overplaying it in the final third we'd have had 2 at HT at a minimum. We then slowed down after we got the third and saw the game out. What game were you watching ffs

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
at least there's one team down the bottom we can beat! but let's not be fooled: Norwich are Championship material, particularly without Pukki, and they will prove that come the end of the season. Yes there were some good performances but just like I wasn't too surprised about how easily we were turned over in midweek, I'm not going to go overboard about this win. The goals were nice but it was like a practice game of attack vs defence. Meanwhile, look at how poor Aston Villa really are right now and see how good we made them look. This game does not change my mind that major changes are needed at United and fast

Man of the Match

Marcus Rashford image Marcus Rashford 51% of 309 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 296 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Norwich win
  • Draw