FA W FA Cup Quarter-Finals

Norwich City 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 27 June 2020

Bondi77

I do not want to see Lingard in a Utd shirt again,
He is like an empty crisp packet blowing around the stadium.

VictoriaRed

Greenwood seems like the only player we have who consistently looks to run at people. So frustrated with Rashford. I don't have the percentages, but today he rarely ran at people; feck me. I want all of our wide players running at people ALL, THE, TIME! Obviously there are times to keep the ball, but man, it was frustrating today!

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Unbeaten in 14 straight? Surely a trophy coming our way?
Seriously though, it’s still a work in progress.
What should be the focus - CL football right?
We’re going to have days like this but as long as we persevere then that’s the main thing, especially with KO competitions like this.
The league is effectively like a KO too as it’s so tight.
Onwards and upwards!

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I can cross a ball like that. If they're pro and can't do it then they should hang up their boots. It's not about these guys not having the technique, it's about them not seeing the space to whip the cross into, or not having the confidence to do it...
Try doing it with defenders who're actually good on you and not when you're wide open.

A cross can only do so much when you know the forwards won't do much with it.

TheRedHearted

Keeper must be kicking himself for not rushing that ball when it was flipped up to Ighalo. Not saying he could have got a punch to it but would have put him at least. Either way kudos to the iceman for poking it in there.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
That lack of cutting edge almost did for us again (who knows what would have happened in a penalty shoot-out). We are still at least two creative players short (desperate for a top-class winger) and the type of goal-scorer who wins games out of nothing - oh for a Haland or RvN! I missed the first half but listened on the radio and it sounded really dull (barely heard Lingard's name). I realise this was the "FA Cup team" but talk of our squad now being very strong are way off the mark. It's true that during the 120 mins we hardly looked like losing but I think Liverpool (and that's now we have to aim sadly) would have had this won inside 30 minutes, and it shows how poor we are if Bruno has a quietish game...

Lj82

You can see Martial is radiating confidence at the moment, he was an instant threat the moment he came on and was showing off so much skill almost effortlessly
Three person surrounding him and he effortlessly shielded the ball and passed it out. Yet people ate STILL not convinced he is a number 9

Lj82

Some thoughts:

120 mins for Bruno, who looked already tired today. Not going to start on tuesday?

Fred and McTominay were really poor.

Lingard, Mata and Dalot are not needed anymore.

Rashford is not at his best, looked frustrated and was frustrating to look.

I like Maguires attitude.
I thought fred was good actually. Much better than against spurs

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
One of those ones you’re not proud of in the morning but you close your eyes and pretend

Feed Me

I'm hungry
14 unbeaten and shown that we can get over the line when the going gets tough. A last minute winner against an obdurate opponent in an away cup tie will stand us in good stead longer term.

I get the sense that a lot of United fans have shit the bed because of Wolves winning a few games against also rans and it is negatively colouring their perceptions of United’s prospects for the remainder of this season.

We are generally still not giving up many chances and have a large pool of players to pick from. The attack lacks a bit of rhythm but we are still only a few games in after the restart.

Pogba and Matic probably need to be playing most games, Bruno needs a small rest and Rashford needs to get his arse into gear. I think Greenwood is bubbling along quite nicely as well.

Brighton up next which is one of our hardest remaining games which suggests to me that we have it pretty easy on paper.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I would seriously look at Cantwell when Norwich go down as another cheap option for our squad. He’s clearly a young, talented player and I thought he was easily one of the best players on the pitch yesterday. If you could get him for £10-20 million that would be good business and he would be a sizeable upgrade on Mata, Lingard and our defensive midfielders. That’s the kind of shrewd signing Liverpool have been making over the last few years.

theklr

I would seriously look at Cantwell when Norwich go down as another cheap option for our squad. He’s clearly a young, talented player and I thought he was easily one of the best players on the pitch yesterday. If you could get him for £10-20 million that would be good business and he would be a sizeable upgrade on Mata, Lingard and our defensive midfielders. That’s the kind of shrewd signing Liverpool have been making over the last few years.
that would we awesome business, but think he will go for double of that

Shiva87

I actually thought he was quite poor at times. Took his goal well and it was a great dive to get the boy sent off but he looked slow and when Martial came on and tried to speed up our play Ighalo really seemed to be struggiling and looked quite average.

Maybe he was just shattered. However no where near MOTM for me.
That was not a dive. It was clear as day that he was getting one on one with the keeper and Klose held him back. 100% a red card. Don't see what you are on about.

That lack of cutting edge almost did for us again (who knows what would have happened in a penalty shoot-out). We are still at least two creative players short (desperate for a top-class winger) and the type of goal-scorer who wins games out of nothing - oh for a Haland or RvN! I missed the first half but listened on the radio and it sounded really dull (barely heard Lingard's name). I realise this was the "FA Cup team" but talk of our squad now being very strong are way off the mark. It's true that during the 120 mins we hardly looked like losing but I think Liverpool (and that's now we have to aim sadly) would have had this won inside 30 minutes, and it shows how poor we are if Bruno has a quietish game...
Not really. Liverpool have played poorly for large parts this season and won games where they were very poor - sometimes with the help of dodgy VAR decisions. That's why their current points tally.

Don't want to discuss them much, but we do seem to have some over inflated expectations from our squad. We had one of our best performances in the last 5-6 years on Saturday with our first XI, and suddenly we are now poor because we had to fight against Norwich to win a cup tie where we made 9 changes to the starting XI.

With the fixture congestion coming up, I don't see the problem with the changes that were made. The back up needs to get fit as well to be able to come in when required. There are literally NO other games in the schedule where he can rotate so heavily before the PL season ends.

We will get one game in the EL (round of 16) where he can do this again. I would say that Ole made the right choice.

tenpoless

1. Ighalo is the perfect backup striker for the current ManUtd squad
  2. Cantwell looks like Griezmann + De Gea
  3. Lingard is a pointless player
  4. Maguire is trying to create his own celebration style, I rate it 6.53/10

dabeast

5. Fred is not "up to it".
6. McTominay is good against good sides, but useless against these.
7. Having a generous, good-in-the-lockerroom personality correlates with not being good enough as a player. Mata, Lingard, Dalot should not be around the squad.
8. Bailly is on last-chance saloon.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
that would we awesome business, but think he will go for double of that
You reckon, even if they get relegated? I think £40 million would be excessive and Norwich may feel they need the funds elsewhere.

Bestietom

Bailly, Lingard, Mata, and Dalot should be sold.....They are just not good enough for Manchester united....We still need about 3/4 players to challenge Liverpool and City...

Matt007a

The whole idea was to rest the big guns. It would defeat the purpose of we brought them on at HT.
The fact that the 2nd stringers failed at their objective is the main issue.
I get that and it is important to rest players with the tight schedule. However I think when you’ve created literally nothing in the first half you have to accept it’s not working and change it. The fact we scored early in the 2nd half was fortunate rather than inevitable.

I think the subs thing goes back further than just yesterday anyway. Since he first took the job he’s always waited too long for my liking.

freddie the red

Really nervous towards the end of 90 and 120 minutes as Norwich could have easily sprung up the pitch and ditched us out, only pleasing part was getting through to the semis.
Dreadful team performance, too complacent with too many casual charlies on the pitch. Too much tippy tappying around the pitch, shuffling it from left to right personified by the still chunky Shaw.
So many players need to be gone for next season as well, been at OT too long or long enough to see they won't be at the level required to challenge for the top honours.
Have liked Cantwell for a while along with Brooks at Bournemouth and would be happy to see those lads at United. Positive, energetic, skilful players who'd add good quality to the squad.
Happy to be through but that was poor yesterday.
Bring on The Gulls!

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
8 changes killed all momentum.

Lingard, Mata and Ighalo as a front 3 was asking for trouble. Not good enough for mid table.

Lj82

Before the red red card honestly which team looked more like scoring? Norwich looked slightly the better side second half which was worrying, but not surprising with 7 changes which nearly backfired terribly.
Not really though.
They only had one shot on target and scored from it. Had another chance where Williams made a great tackle. Other than that we had all the chances. The red card was from a chance where ighalo was about to go one on one with Krul.

POF

Bailly, Lingard, Mata, and Dalot should be sold.....They are just not good enough for Manchester united....We still need about 3/4 players to challenge Liverpool and City...
I thought Bailly and Dalot did fine. Dalot was completely on his own on the right wing but was a threat offensively.

Lingard and Mata, not so much. Lingard should have had a point to prove but was awful and the game completely passed Mata by. He looks like he's in his early 40s rather than his 30s.

Touseef

Good stuff

Glad we got over the line. Countless times in the past, we've totally bottled it and we were close to doing it today again.

It's so obvious that the quality outside our first XI just does not exist. Ighalo is doing a good job as back up striker but, Lingard and Mata were just very very poor.

Watching the game till Pogba and Matic came on was like watching us from the beginning of the season.

So clear to see how much we need to invest in quality players to improve the overall sqaud.
THIS!

More than anything, this game showed the importance of quality in squad options and the fact that we lack sorely here. I'm amazed when people question why we're going for Grealish or VDB when you have the likes of Lingard playing championship standard. We desperately need starting RW and covers for CAM, CB (or starting CB), DM and then later possibly a starting LB. Luke is good in control over the ball but his attacking game is not at the level of top LBs. And we cannot have both starting wing backs like that.

Houdini

1. Ighalo MOTM for me. Not because just of the goal but his physical presence was vital. Actually, he is the only one in the squad who can do this.
2. Maguire scored the winner and it's great that he can be dangerous inside the box, but he is slow as fck. He also is often afraid of the ball and reaction time poor. I like him but he is like an elephant in porcelain store.
3. Lingard should be sold.
4. Mata - it was my favourite player but he is only a backup now.
5. Fred is inconsistent.

Monkey bus

The whole idea was to rest the big guns. It would defeat the purpose of we brought them on at HT.
The fact that the 2nd stringers failed at their objective is the main issue.
Agree with this. We weren’t losing at half time. A good Manager builds loyalty and trust in the squad by saying to them ‘It’s up to you to change it in the 2nd half or I make changes’ which the team duly did.

The players with a point to prove that didn’t turn up can’t be blamed on the coaching team. It’s on the players.

We’re on a great run and we won’t always steam roll teams every games. Thoroughly deserved the win.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Think Buendia will get a decent move as well.

Comet49

Something I’ve noticed in the last two matches, Bruno has wasted two free kicks in good wide positions, also when Greenwood has come on he’s had good wide positions where he could have passed but has tried to do it all himself. He’ll learn.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Agree with this. We weren’t losing at half time. A good Manager builds loyalty and trust in the squad by saying to them ‘It’s up to you to change it in the 2nd half or I make changes’ which the team duly did.

The players with a point to prove that didn’t turn up can’t be blamed on the coaching team. It’s on the players.

We’re on a great run and we won’t always steam roll teams every games. Thoroughly deserved the win.
It is worrying though -- a big drop off in standards the moment our first 11 doesn't play. To be competitive and to build a squad, it will take at least two summers.
At least our 1st 11s are competitive. Thats progress.

Andersons Dietician

That was not a dive. It was clear as day that he was getting one on one with the keeper and Klose held him back. 100% a red card. Don't see what you are on about.

Not really. Liverpool have played poorly for large parts this season and won games where they were very poor - sometimes with the help of dodgy VAR decisions. That's why their current points tally.

Don't want to discuss them much, but we do seem to have some over inflated expectations from our squad. We had one of our best performances in the last 5-6 years on Saturday with our first XI, and suddenly we are now poor because we had to fight against Norwich to win a cup tie where we made 9 changes to the starting XI.

With the fixture congestion coming up, I don't see the problem with the changes that were made. The back up needs to get fit as well to be able to come in when required. There are literally NO other games in the schedule where he can rotate so heavily before the PL season ends.

We will get one game in the EL (round of 16) where he can do this again. I would say that Ole made the right choice.
I’m not saying there isn’t a foul there but he for sure dives to bring more attention to the matter at the end. Look at his jump and the way his legs are together.

Personally that defender has been turned I’ve got clean sight of goal, I’m not throwing myself to the ground in that situation as there is every chance the ref won’t give it.

I‘m gonna make a B line for goal and make the defender have to take me down to stop me or let me shoot. There is no way from the little bit of shirt pulling that Ighalos body would fall in such a manner like that from the contact he was getting Unless Klaus is superhuman and the new shirts by Addidas are made out of some sturdy stuff.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Was always going to be that type of game with a weakened side playing against a team who will have approached this as a final.

Still feel we need to look at either playing Williams left back or looking for a new one that offers more going forward. Shaw breaks down too many attacks with his inability in the attacking third, and poor / slow decision making.

Lingard really must be sold, hopefully the change of agent is a sign he will definitely be sold.

Another good result for Ole, would have hated to see the reaction if he was in charge when we drew 0-0 with Burton. (Even though he played in the game)

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
If after our other transfers we've still got enough left over to sign him then he'd be a decent buy. Obviously far too good for Norwich. But I think he'd cost enough that we're better off just paying the extra for Grealish.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Try doing it with defenders who're actually good on you and not when you're wide open.

A cross can only do so much when you know the forwards won't do much with it.
There is plenty of time when they have space and time to do it, but they just don't. They just cycle the ball back around...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Well you're actually asking about 99 % of pro players to hang up their boots. And it's not about seeing that space, everyone can see that space and every coach in this world can ask some winger or striker to run to that space. Problem is there are very few players who can deliver an early cross that is curve and accurate enough to hit that running player. That's why Arnold is currently among the top 10 most valuable players worldwide despite being pretty average defensively.

Btw if you happen to live in Manchester, why don't pay a visit to Carrington and ask for a trial? They would love to have someone like you I think.
You think? I thought at 46 the time may have passed me by but I will give it a go :lol: :lol: :lol:

nyanza

It's true that during the 120 mins we hardly looked like losing but I think Liverpool (and that's now we have to aim sadly) would have had this won inside 30 minutes
Took them 78 in their away game against Norwich. And with full strength squad rather than Mata, Ighalo and Lingard up front.

LDUred

Ighalo was excellent. Can't believe he's getting some criticism here. He put in a classic centre forward's performance, showing strength in holding up the ball, grabbing a goal out of nothing, drawing a red card through his strength, and creating a bit of mayhem for the winner. He's been an inspired signing and he's a valuable part of our squad.

Gator Nate

Bad day at the office, still won advancement in the Cup.

No problems here with what Ole was trying to do, bar Lingard. He's just nowhere he needs to be most of the time. His bright spots, and yes, I saw a few, were not timely and easily ignored. But putting mostly a B-squad out there didn't bother me - their performance did. It backfired, but Ole fixed it with what he had and won.

Mata has no pace, but has everything else. His problem yesterday was being placed beside Lingard. Put him beside Bruno or Pogba and he's still serviceable.

Ighalo. I love his physicality. And he played his heart out all game. Like James, he's not afraid to defend - at one point he was almost in the bottom right corner until Dalot figured out where he was supposed to be. A goal, drew a red, MOTM for me (with Harry a hair's width behind).

This is what we should expect (today) when you take four of the five best offensive players out of the lineup. Not what we should expect in the future, but today's B-squad was mostly last October's starters.

Norwich was going for it. They're going down and they know it, Farke rested a couple in their last match for this.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
There is plenty of time when they have space and time to do it, but they just don't. They just cycle the ball back around...
And as I've mentioned, who're they supposed to cross to?

Our attackers love having the ball at their feet outside the box where they can run in and try to do quick passed or shoot. It's pointless to cross into the box when none of them would even go up and try to head it.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
And as I've mentioned, who're they supposed to cross to?

Our attackers love having the ball at their feet outside the box where they can run in and try to do quick passed or shoot. It's pointless to cross into the box when none of them would even go up and try to head it.
And you don't see a problem with that? If it were me I'd be putting in those crosses and then tearing them a new one when they weren't on the end of it, or at least trying to get on the end of it...

Jama18418

Poor from the manager and coaching staff. Ighalo, Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, Bruno and Pogba, yet mentally we collapse into lumping it to Maguire in the box. It worked today, but isn’t effective football long term. A bit of a wake up call in what’s needed for top 4.
That’s unfair because Norwich we’re down to 10 men and literally camped defending their box. So I could see why he wanted to keep two strikers upfront. But you’re right only martial looked like he wanted to play quick one two’s everyone else was slow and side to side. I think with Jadon Sancho added to our attack all g with solid base we have now we can easily challenge for the league. We’ve dropped points against bottom half teams with pogba/Bruno along with MR10 AM9 and JD7 no way we aren’t beating pretty much all the bottom half sides comfortably

Man of the Match

Harry Maguire image Harry Maguire 59% of 254 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 251 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Norwich win
  • Draw