FA W FA Cup Quarter-Finals

Norwich City 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 27 June 2020

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I’m not saying there isn’t a foul there but he for sure dives to bring more attention to the matter at the end. Look at his jump and the way his legs are together.

Personally that defender has been turned I’ve got clean sight of goal, I’m not throwing myself to the ground in that situation as there is every chance the ref won’t give it.

I‘m gonna make a B line for goal and make the defender have to take me down to stop me or let me shoot. There is no way from the little bit of shirt pulling that Ighalos body would fall in such a manner like that from the contact he was getting Unless Klaus is superhuman and the new shirts by Addidas are made out of some sturdy stuff.
That's now little bit of shirt pull. He was holding Ighlao's waist using both his hands.

1:58

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
And you don't see a problem with that? If it were me I'd be putting in those crosses and then tearing them a new one when they weren't on the end of it, or at least trying to get on the end of it...
Clearly by now it should be clear to you that our coaching game plan doesn't involve whipping crosses into the box.

None of our forwards are an aerial threat, you're blaming Shaw for not lumping the ball in the box when it's going to end up giving back possession nearly Everytime.

What's the point of whipping crosses in just for the sake of it when it doesn't benefit the team at all. A great pass/cross can only do so much when the player on the receiving end does feck all with it which is our biggest problem right now.

Ventura

It's a win in the 3rd most important competition with a weakened team, I don't care if it was beautiful or not to be honest.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I can cross a ball like that. If they're pro and can't do it then they should hang up their boots. It's not about these guys not having the technique, it's about them not seeing the space to whip the cross into, or not having the confidence to do it...
This isn't NHL where you just dump it in and see what happens. If the players in the box are a significant step above your own strikers in the air, then you are asking for dumb luck instead of an actual play.

But hey, we had 38 shots against Norwich, and 12 corners. It's not like we're struggling to generate anything is it?

Bestietom

I thought Bailly and Dalot did fine. Dalot was completely on his own on the right wing but was a threat offensively.

Lingard and Mata, not so much. Lingard should have had a point to prove but was awful and the game completely passed Mata by. He looks like he's in his early 40s rather than his 30s.
Yes, your right about Mata and Lingard has not played a good game for well over a year now. I think Gomes should have been given more chances. Dalot keeps getting caught out of positio when he moves forward and can't get back..... Still think we need a left footed CB to compliment Maguire......

Craig Ward

Bit of a drab affair really. Game lacked spark and we struggled.

Took way too long to break them down but we persisted and it paid off.

Wins a win. We'll take it

Would have liked an easier game obviously. would have took the pressure off certain players and allowed Ole to make some different subs but it didnt go that way.

We are in a position where we really have to play Fernandes every game. He's so vital but we should be wary of burning him out.

Lingard and Mata didnt really influence. Lingard looks so poor and sad to say because he is so likeable but Mata's legs are well and truly gone. He's done at this level.

Didnt really get the Dalot substitution - he was doing ok and he's one of our players who badly needs game time. RB for RB was hardly ever going to change the game, and Williams was pretty poor anyway.

Before the game i thought if we get 2 goals and look steady we can get fernandes off and get some easy minutes for fringe players, could have rested Shaw/Maguire also. Would have been a good game to get Fosu-Mensah on for 20 mins if the game was won.

Hopefully we play with a bit more intensity in the next game. I think Fred is struggling cos he's the type of player who might need a game or two to settle in and he knows Pogba will play ahead of him. Tricky time for him

Andersons Dietician

That's now little bit of shirt pull. He was holding Ighlao's waist using both his hands.

1:58
I’m not saying it isn’t a foul. If you’d highlighted a bit further in your reply I was just saying there is no way Igahlo’s body falls like that from the way he was being held.
Igahlo emphasises that there has been fouled by throwing himself to the ground.

However he has rolled the boy has a sight of goal, I would have pushed on and if I can’t get away because I’m being held the ref should blow up anyway it’s that blatant.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I’m not saying it isn’t a foul. If you’d highlighted a bit further in your reply I was just saying there is no way Igahlo’s body falls like that from the way he was being held.
Igahlo emphasises that there has been fouled by throwing himself to the ground.

However he has rolled the boy has a sight of goal, I would have pushed on and if I can’t get away because I’m being held the ref should blow up anyway it’s that blatant.
You said it's a bit of shirt pull, my reply was for that. Only way Ighalo can run is by carrying the defender on his back.

POF

Yes, your right about Mata and Lingard has not played a good game for well over a year now. I think Gomes should have been given more chances. Dalot keeps getting caught out of positio when he moves forward and can't get back..... Still think we need a left footed CB to compliment Maguire......
Hopefully that left footed centre back stuff left with Van Gaal! It's how the club ended up with Rojo.

Maguire is fine on the left side. He's quite natural there. He does need a new partner but I think it's more important that the styles complement than their strongest foot. I actually think Bailly is a good fit if he can add maturity to his game.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
This isn't NHL where you just dump it in and see what happens. If the players in the box are a significant step above your own strikers in the air, then you are asking for dumb luck instead of an actual play.

But hey, we had 38 shots against Norwich, and 12 corners. It's not like we're struggling to generate anything is it?
I'm not talking about just putting a cross in when everyone is there. Teams hold high lines all the time when the ball is about 30 yards out. What we tend to do is have the right footed player on the right wing try and cross one. For that, it has to go over defenders and it's a useless ball because it has to be so exact. But a left footer on the left can cross one that goes behind defenders. Even when defending it it's awkward because you are running towards your own goal to get on it. This is the type of cross I want to see more of. Perhaps I'm not explaining it right...

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Finally got to watch the match.

First half was a virtual non-event. Improved a bit after the break and good team goal, almost all the players touched the ball and glad they followed the half-time instructions to avoid giving the ball to our no.14 Move Destroyer.

Fernandes was well below his usual standard but rarely saw the ball with move destroyer on the pitch. Looked like the bad old days for a while.

Not a good performance but got the win and through to the semis which is the most important.

lex talionis

Bruno looked tired. I wouldn't read too much into this performance.

Job done and that's all that matters.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I’m not saying there isn’t a foul there but he for sure dives to bring more attention to the matter at the end. Look at his jump and the way his legs are together.

Personally that defender has been turned I’ve got clean sight of goal, I’m not throwing myself to the ground in that situation as there is every chance the ref won’t give it.

I‘m gonna make a B line for goal and make the defender have to take me down to stop me or let me shoot. There is no way from the little bit of shirt pulling that Ighalos body would fall in such a manner like that from the contact he was getting Unless Klaus is superhuman and the new shirts by Addidas are made out of some sturdy stuff.
He gave Ighalo a bearhug dude, the obstruction is enough, he didnt even have to fall for that to be a red card.

Man of the Match

Harry Maguire image Harry Maguire 59% of 254 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 251 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Norwich win
  • Draw