LC W League Cup Semi-Final 1st Leg

Nottingham Forest 0:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 25 January 2023

croadyman

I don't know why people keep using the term sloppy.

We dominated Nottingham Forrest and looked to be in a completely different league without exerting too much energy.

We got very comfortable and relaxed. The spaces they had opened up because our midfielder knew they didn't have to cover as much ground as they usually do, which is why it seemed open at times. Despite this, we had full control of the game from minute 1 to 90.
It's a cup game, we didn't need to go full tilt or do anything extra after we went 2-0 up.

As a further note, the attacks on Antony are getting a bit much and I don't think our fans have realized how media coerced it is. The minute he did that spin, he's been targeted by commentators. Yes, he's not been brilliant, but there seems to be a genuine dislike of him that I can't seem to figure out. He's a hard worker, who's scored some goals, but is having issues adapting to the space creation elements of the league. Yet even our own fans and former players don't seem to have time for him
Yeah that spin got far too much hate and like you say it's now getting a bit distasteful,not nice Bent mocking him but calling him a YouTube footballer.

Sir Erik ten Hag

As a further note, the attacks on Antony are getting a bit much and I don't think our fans have realized how media coerced it is. The minute he did that spin, he's been targeted by commentators. Yes, he's not been brilliant, but there seems to be a genuine dislike of him that I can't seem to figure out. He's a hard worker, who's scored some goals, but is having issues adapting to the space creation elements of the league. Yet even our own fans and former players don't seem to have time for him
Yeah that spin got far too much hate and like you say it's now getting a bit distasteful,not nice Bent mocking him but calling him a YouTube footballer.
This is the football world. Antony just needs to get some goals/assists and the media will be silenced again quickly.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Why?
They will be heavily favoured to win and we have had to play a lot of games and could do without these two.
sorry, I don't understand what you are asking. I said we should rest players for the second leg and the reading game, exactly because we have a lot of games

Bondi77

sorry, I don't understand what you are asking. I said we should rest players for the second leg and the reading game, exactly because we have a lot of games
Why you think our season rests on two games with Barcelona when they will be heavily favoured to win?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Why you think our season rests on two games with Barcelona when they will be heavily favoured to win?
For that very reason. If we beat them, the confidence boost will be amazing and we could - could - go on to win the Europa with everything that that brings. Losing could affect the team badly - look at how our heads dropped the moment Casemiro got booked at Palace. ETH has improved the mentality but some still seem a bit weak when it domes to this. I can't help wondering that if we'd beaten Palace we'd have held on against Arsenal.

Of course, these are games we could do without - all down to a dreadful refereeing decision on the say the queen died. Plus the new format of a play-off is, no surprise here given the oafs at EUFA, is ridiculous. But what I was saying is the two games are bigger than a Caraboa Cup semi-final, which we've pretty much won already, and a 4th round of the FA Cup

Bondi77

For that very reason. If we beat them, the confidence boost will be amazing and we could - could - go on to win the Europa with everything that that brings. Losing could affect the team badly - look at how our heads dropped the moment Casemiro got booked at Palace. ETH has improved the mentality but some still seem a bit weak when it domes to this. I can't help wondering that if we'd beaten Palace we'd have held on against Arsenal.

Of course, these are games we could do without - all down to a dreadful refereeing decision on the say the queen died. Plus the new format of a play-off is, no surprise here given the oafs at EUFA, is ridiculous. But what I was saying is the two games are bigger than a Caraboa Cup semi-final, which we've pretty much won already, and a 4th round of the FA Cup
If the opponent is heavily favoured to win I don't think a loss is going to affect us badly it will just be another thing in the learning process for the players and the manager.

footballbite

What team do you support then? You didn’t fill out the box
No I didn't, because I've seen that it can more often than not be a pointless distraction on here.

The team I support is in England but far from a rival to Man Utd.

However, growing up I still of course regularly watched the Premier League, Champion's League etc., and out of the big teams typically competing for trophies, for a number of reasons I always favoured Man Utd.

Withnail

I don't know why people keep using the term sloppy.

We dominated Nottingham Forrest and looked to be in a completely different league without exerting too much energy.

We got very comfortable and relaxed. The spaces they had opened up because our midfielder knew they didn't have to cover as much ground as they usually do, which is why it seemed open at times. Despite this, we had full control of the game from minute 1 to 90.
It's a cup game, we didn't need to go full tilt or do anything extra after we went 2-0 up.

It was fairly sloppy and careless from a number of players for the final 25 mins or so of the first half until we got the second goal. They had a number of attacks they messed up when we kept giving them the ball and thankfully we weren't punished for it. Ten Hag was absolutely doing his nut just before we equalised.

It was a good result and a decent performance overall but there's no harm in recognising we can't have a spell like that against a better side.

Withnail

No I didn't, because I've seen that it can more often than not be a pointless distraction on here.

The team I support is in England but far from a rival to Man Utd.

However, growing up I still of course regularly watched the Premier League, Champion's League etc., and out of the big teams typically competing for trophies, for a number of reasons I always favoured Man Utd.
If you support another club you need to say so on your profile.

footballbite

If you support another club you need to say so on your profile.
In line with my post above, I think that would be misleading and a distraction - as it would suggest to others that when making my comments I don't want Man Utd to have success and win games. Even though they're not my primary team, out of all PL and CL teams I do want Utd to win, so it's also not as if I don't support Utd to some degree.

Do the Utd fans on here who also sometimes watch the likes of Salford City say so on their profile? I don't think so.

tjb

It was fairly sloppy and careless from a number of players for the final 25 mins or so of the first half until we got the second goal. They had a number of attacks they messed up when we kept giving them the ball and thankfully we weren't punished for it. Ten Hag was absolutely doing his nut just before we equalised.

It was a good result and a decent performance overall but there's no harm in recognising we can't have a spell like that against a better side.
Don't get me wrong. I get that, but I feel the biggest thing for us at the moment is how much we've actually improved and how we continue to progress. We looked like we were in another league from Forest, despite the fact that we were in 3rd gear. We didn't look like this even as close as November.

For me, and this is not in regard to you but the general tone of the forum, improvements and progressions should be celebrated. It feels at times like people went from complaining about how terrible we've been over the last 10 years to complaining about small details in games despite watching us play good football.

Withnail

Don't get me wrong. I get that, but I feel the biggest thing for us at the moment is how much we've actually improved and how we continue to progress. We looked like we were in another league from Forest, despite the fact that we were in 3rd gear. We didn't look like this even as close as November.

For me, and this is not in regard to you but the general tone of the forum, improvements and progressions should be celebrated. It feels at times like people went from complaining about how terrible we've been over the last 10 years to complaining about small details in games despite watching us play good football.
Yeah I get how it might seem tedious but it's a sign of progress I suppose!

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 214 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Nottingham Forest win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Nottingham Forest 0:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Nottingham Forest 1:2 Man Utd