CL L Champions League Round of 16 1st Leg

Manchester United 0:2 Paris St Germain

Post-match discussion

Tue, 12 February 2019

Rish Sawhney

I know that narrative coming out will be that PsG schooled us, but there was really nothing in this game from either side. When their forwards faced up our defenders they tried to get past and actually tried to play killer passes whereas ours were done as soon as Lingard and Martial went out. We're still very much in this.

Of course the knee-jerks will go on about Ole getting tactically outsmarted, but that never happened IMO. They got Di Maria and Draxler when two of theirs were injured, we have Lukaku, Sanchez, and Mata. Nuff said. Good night everyone and don't overreact.

Reactions: Invictus

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Schooled. "Solid", "brave" and "hard working" players can only watch ball against top players. It is reality

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Lack of depth cost us, as did a card-happy ref. Posters are gonna stick their hands up their ass and be angry about everything but PSG are a good side. We were at their throats a good few times but were outclassed ultimately. Not too optimistic about the second leg either.

Cpt Negative

Better team won. Yes the ref was shit but it wouldn't have mattered even if we would have had a good one they were just to good for us.
I think them being down to 10 after 55 minutes probably would have helped

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don’t think we challenged Buffon once. Thoroughly outplayed.

DickDastardly

What a miserable night.

To go and think we were on a roll.....they were missing two players....

And then dish out this kind of performance. fecking hell.

Tony was absent from the start, Rash was feeling the nerves, and to be honest, PSG was set up perfectly.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Poor. A reality check. We're simply not ready as a club for the latter stages of the CL.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
PSG defence is what won them the game, and our defence cost us. Sums our squad up i think. We need two buy two world class centre backs and a ready made right back and we’ll be ready to compete imo. Sell Mata and Sanchez while we’re at it.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I don’t remember a single good chance we created, so we can’t moan about not scoring.

That said, the ref was an absolute failure and definitely should have sent Kimbembe off. We were looking good for a clean sheet until that.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Multiple reasons we lost:

Ref playing PSG’s game for them
Unfortunate with injuries
Lacking quality

RedAlways78

We’ve had an easy run of games lately apart from spurs and we were lucky to win that.

Let’s see how we respond in the next game.

Nr.7

The ones who had to perform didn’t. That’s Pogba, Martial and Lingard.

The refferee was atrocious.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I was hoping Sanchez would make me and everyone else who said to get rid of him in the other thread eat crow when he came on at 0-0.

He did not.

But really PSG were simply a level above in every department.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Looking at some of the predictions pre match, we needed a reality check. We're not a new team, we're a better version of what we were. PSG are a top team and showed it tonight. Our self-belief wilted pretty quickly and the tension killed our game. Not the end of the world. Champions League always bonus territory for us. Interested to see where Ole goes from here.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Reality check! The second leg is now just a formality. They were better even before the injuries in all honesty. 2 injuries and a red, really sums up our night. I now only hope martial and Lingard are fit for the weekend
Yep, reality check was the phrase which comes to mind

Ban

Ref, injuries and them being good. It was all right in the 1st but as it progressed we lost the grip on the game. Injuries ruined us and Mata and Alexis being trash didnt help either.

Only gripe with Ole is that he should have brought Lukaku earlier.

Our squad depth is awful, we need additions and I wouldn't judge Ole based on this.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Can't blame Pogba for that, Alves was unsighted going in.

Cloud7

Can't be too upset about that to be honest. PSG were comfortably better and all game looked like the team more likely to score. Tuchel set his team up to perfect and they shackled our attack perfectly. Any hope I had of winning disappeared when Martial and Lingard went off. Sure, neither of them were particularly good this game, but at least there was the chance they would come up with something. You just knew that Mata and Sanchez weren't going to be up to much.

The ref was far too card happy, and Kimpembe should have been off, Pogba's second yellow was in no way or form a yellow.

All things considered, it was a disappointing night, but we just came up against a better drilled team than us.

Ainu

Humbling night for us. It went about as disastrous as it possibly could've gone. Only thing we can do is put it out of our heads and make sure our league form doesn't suffer. Avoid a humilition in the second leg, push for fourth in the league and address the glaring issues in the side. It would be a shame if we just throw away all the hard work of the last weeks because of this.

FrenchRed

Ref killed the game in the first half with his idiotic cards. Losing Lingard and Martial finished our hopes - the moment Mata and Sanchez came on we lost our intensity. I honestly have yet to see Sanchez do anything in a United shirt - I'd be glad if he never put on the shirt again, he's done nothing in the last year.

One thing we need to address are our fullbacks, they were out of position and giving too much space all night - they get away with it against lower class opposition, but will get exposed in the CL.

Can't be upset losing this one, it had to happen sooner or later - and considering where we were with The Miserable One, I think we have to keep positive and not get carried away with big ups or downs. Sometimes we lose, shit happens - I'd prefer to lose this than one in the PL at the moment.

Get In Scholesy

With or without the injuries we were outclassed.

2-0 was flattering.

Europe shows how poor we are in terms of squad depth and creativity and energy within midfield.

Referee was pathetic as well.

hobbers

They had a better starting eleven, injuries or not. Our defence, particularly Young and Bailly, is nowhere near CL semi final level. No. Where. Near.

Our injuries crippled our chances tonight. Everyone was shite on the ball first half, far too casual and slow. No chance once our dynamism up front was replaced with ponderous sunday football-speed Juan and the absolutely hopeless car crash of a player than is Alexis.

Wasn't going to judge Ole on the PSG tie in any case. What I care about is progress in the FA cup and beating Liverpool. A win here would just have been the glaze on the cherry on the icing of that cake.

BestCanton7

Players and manger outclassed. Very far off from europe's elite. Ole showed his inexperience tonight.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Important result for us. Will make the summer rebuild easier with less rose tinted spectacles.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Ron Atkinson thinks that the referee was going to send Young off and Pogba actually admitted it was him. That might be where the confusion came from.

Actually it might have done us a favour if Young had gone. Also Paddy Crerand thinks we have no chance in the second leg. Not like him.

jetlee

Lack of routine in these sort of matches showed. We can complain about the 2 injuries but PSG had them beforehand.
The refereeing performance was a complete joke, he had periods where he was giving cards for everything and others where the same fouls haven't even warranted a freekick.
No problems here, Ole can learn a lot about the squad.
Unfortunately the second game becomes a bit pointless now.

reddevil702

One of the worst games I’ve seen out of Martial. Ref was an absolute joke. Hopefully this is the end of the Bailly hype.

TsuWave

unfortunately "positivity" and "puts a smile on everybody's face" isn't enough to carry you in europe

gulf in quality between the teams. PSG's shape, movement, pressing and passing were miles ahead of ours. count blessings Neymar wasn't around.

Ole is gonna need to be more than a "Lingard through the middle" merchant.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Empty feeling.

Wasn't expecting us to be so flat but shows how far we are still behind the best sides.

We've been shit for years now, so suppose this negative feeling is natural enough :lol:

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Before we get to criticising the players and the manager after a reality check, can we please accept that we have the poorest home support of all the English clubs in Europe? The only reason Old Trafford wasn't silent tonight was because the PSG fans were singing their heads off.

I'm more disappointed in the atmosphere than the performance of the players. Emptihad is louder than this in the Carabao Cup. Our away fans are amazing, but the home support is very embarrassing.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Hmmm...

3 new defenders needed - ideally 4.

2 midfielders.

2 attackers.

Not possible in one Summer window.

Fasten your seatbelts.

Matt007a

The first half was ok but the 2nd half we struggled. I think a lot of people got carried away thinking we’d be favourites for this one. PSG are a better side than us even without Neymar and Cavani.

The ref could have sent off Kimpembe but I don’t think you can argue with Pogbas red. That was 80/20 Alves ball to win and he’s gone in knee high trying to make it look like he’s shielding it. Young could have been sent off also for shoving Di Maria into the railings first half when already on a yellow.

Hopefully it’s a kick up the butt for the players and we push on again from here, rather than heads dropping.

BulgarianDevil91

I don't get why so many people are surprised. It was never an easy game, no matter the injuries and all. I just hope this brings us back to Earth and we give our best against Chelsea and the Scouse scum in the upcoming games.

Also, the ref was a complete moron, but we were just poor.

Judas

Open to offers
Our important players didn't show up, but man for man theirs did really. That was a major difference. Inexperience of our team really showed.

I'd honestly send the reserves 2nd leg, we've not got a chance.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Absolutely horrible. On the return match with no Pogba I say we go to a 4-4-2 and play with nothing to lose...

----------------------De Gea--------------------
Dalot-------Lindeloff-------Bailley-------Shaw
Sanchez---Herrara---------Matic------Martial
---------------Lukaku-----Rashford------------

I would love to see what Sanchez can do from the right. He is way too dependent on his right foot to play on the left. Seems like every time he beats his man he has to stop to cut back to his right foot. Put him on the right side and let him take his man wide without slowing down...

Josh 76

First half was even
The two injuries helped PSG
Our replacements were a joke.
Ole should have changed the formation
Just hope this doesn't knock the confidence.

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 405 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • PSG win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Man Utd 2:1 PSG
  • 18% Man Utd 2:0 PSG