CL L Champions League Round of 16 1st Leg

Manchester United 0:2 Paris St Germain

Post-match discussion

Tue, 12 February 2019

)_(

Terrible ref, unlucky with the two injuries at the end of the second half but wasn't expecting us to win this game. We have to face the reality that the champions league is a step too far for us at the moment. OGS has been with us for ten games, we've barely played in the CL the last couple of years, these players just got a bit of confidence back in the league and just didn't have the composure needed against PSG in the CL. Of course, I'm disapointed, who wouldn't be losing 2-0 at home, but let's not go overboard! OGS has done well in general, what's important now is how we come back from this against our next opponents. We'd had a great streak going on, but it had to end some time and there's no shame in it ending against PSG. Let's focus on the FA cup and league now.

ArjenIsM3

I don't think so. Our high press was working fine until we got Lingard and Martial injured. We were in control of the game without creating too much but still in the game until the subs happened.
Don't want to see Mata and Sanchez again
This. Subs killed the game. Mata and Sanchez were shite. Sanchez especially. Mata simply proved once again he is no wide player. When they came on our pace was gone and that cost us.

MoskvaRed

We are fighting for 4th place in England. PSG are best of the rest behind RM, Barcelona, BM, Juve and (probably) City. If there is an upside to tonight, it’s that maybe the owners realise we need upgrades, particularly outside the starting XI. Having first change options like Sanchez and Mata is a killer - both should start learning to use chopsticks.

Eire Red United

Beat by a better team on the night but PSG aren’t all that, they’re just a bit further on in the development but we’ll get there. Our two injuries fecked us but not much we can do about that.

Clearly need a right back and and someone with a left foot and pace.

Ref is a tool.

Massive ask to win by two in Paris but I wouldn’t right us off yet.

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
We got bored of getting smashed by Oil/Terror FC domestically we figured we'd try how it felt in Europe.

In all seriousness, we are just not good enough. Nothing about Oles tactics or how we set up. Losing Lingard and Martial was huge we just dont have the dept like they do for ADM Draxler.

Bring on Chelsea lets win the Cup for Ole and make sure we get top 4, Europe was a step to far this season.

EDIT: The ref was in over his head and had an effect on the match.

Canucantona20

They are a better team full stop. We are 2 months in the rebuild phase and they are a perennial European contender. We’ll be ok, use the experience from tonight and move forward

Reactions: SteveJ

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Reality check.

I really thought we were going to have a historic night and win the match, but we completely froze instead.

The team looked overawed.

Truly gutting :(

SqueakyWeasel

Ref was crucial … if he'd have treated PSG defenders (namely Kimcuntbaby) like he treated Pogba then the player would not have been on the pitch to score the first goal.

We admittedly didn't play like Oles United, maybe the occasion overtook a few, but it is what it is!

Ahsan_6386

We killed the game ourselves by sending Mata on for Martial which was a major tactical blunder since Mata was non existent . With 2 ineffective wingers and an old right back on a yellow card we were dead ducks on counter since neither could stay on the wings nor take on the wingbacks .

We should have sent Lukaku on for Martial so that atleast then we would have had a physical presence and probably give the PSG centre backs something to think about .

P.S. We kinda missed Fellaini today while chasing the game .

PoTMS

Did we have a shot on target? Not counting the Rashford cross.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Ref was awful, so was our 2nd half was performance. The injuries didn't help. Our shape and way of playing changed totally because of it. Sanchez offers so little, it will be good if he can be sold in Summer. I don't expect him to get better from here.

Chairman Steve

Our depth is very small for the way OGS wants to play. PSG have tonnes of experience in their outfit even without Cavani and Neymar against our relatively young and inexperienced team and a manager who’s still working out this team.

We’re at totally different ends of the spectrum to them. They should certainly be trying to win this competition with the amount of oil money they’ve pumped into it and the experienced players they have.

We are the rockstar who’s currently in rehab trying to refind our old ways step by step at a time. I don’t expect us to get past them really. We should spend the rest of the season trying to figure out what to do with ourselves and see what we want to do. A lot of troubles have come from poor planning on the boards behalf and bad investments. No grand schemes of winning CL should enter our minds. We have a young left back who’s never really shown anything at the club until this season. The right back is a winger in his mid thirties. We’re lacking a commanding centre back and our attackers are young but inconsistent. Our right side is completely nonexistent and our depth is largely poor in many ways in that they are players that just don’t fit with how we want to play and they’re expensive and ineffective.

yamo123x

The best team won. No arguments.

Bad night for us, however the decision not to give Kimpembe a second yellow was crucial.

Felt we lack creativity in final third, no one with a killer pass and a massive over reliance on pogba.

We carried mata and Sanchez second half.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Poor first half. Forced to make changes second half and it went pear-shaped. PSG made the most of the space in front of them with Alexis and Mata not able to get back. Then with the quick goals we just faded completely.

Ole made mistakes with his forced subs, but we also played poor throughout. Ah well, this was already a write-off of a season so let’s continue the magic of turning our league form around - then flog the useless deadwood bastards like Alexis our in the summer!

Sp00ks11

Bringing Mata on was a big mistake. Thought we were doing fine before the injuries. Let's see how the next few weeks go but I did think it was ridiculous how much the media and the fans were clamouring for Ole to be appointed. Let's see his and the teams reaction to his first defeat.

Sanchez, Mata, and Young all need replacing asap.

Waynenmads

Kimpembe shouldn’t have been on the pitch to score, but PSG better side just

Pogba both anonymous and idiotic

Sanchez surpassed himself in his levels of shockingly bad performances, that has to be his last chance

But, if I can take a positive, it’s a reality check before the Scouse come to town, so could focus us more for that

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I don’t understand why people just dismiss the Kimpembe shit. It had a major bearing on the game yet it gets brushed under the carpet with stuff like, ‘well, we were outclassed anyway...etc’.

That’s bollocks I’m afraid. First half was even, injuries fecked us and but we should’ve been playing against 10 men for an hour. It had a massive impact and the ref completely bottled the red for Kimpembe...twice.
Yep the ref fecked us but honestly what can you do? You never know what you'll get with refs.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't think so. Our high press was working fine until we got Lingard and Martial injured. We were in control of the game without creating too much but still in the game until the subs happened.
Don't want to see Mata and Sanchez again
We weren't in control for more than about 20 percent of the game. Most of the first half was a cagey 50/50 contest. They simply outclassed us in the 2nd.

Dyslexic Untied

Nothing clicked today. Poor games from too many, bad ref decisions, injuries and probably not the right subs.

Kag

For the most part both teams were shite. That includes PSG, who were incredibly wasteful up until their goal. We were just worse tonight.

I think tonight highlighted the sort of player we need to be looking for going forward. Mata and Sanchez changed the dynamic considerably, and not in a good way. Lingard and Martial going off meant that PSG could play without fear of the counter and that changed the game.

Shout out to the referee for reminding me that, in spite of all the stick they get, British referees remain the best officials in Europe. Pathetic, fame hungry performance.

Red1968

Overall we were outclassed that much is obvious. However, Both goals were gifts from lazy schoolboy defending. We get away with it all the time in the EPL but against a team of genuine quality we will always get eviscerated. We were made to look silly by some top class PSG defending but at the same time why do our players look so nervous and oafy in and around their box? Where is the skill. the touch, the swagger? Finally, The ref absolutely wrecked that game. His flurry of yellows just stifled any flow, made the players nervous and mostly was poor judged. The red for Pogba was totally heavy handed and has basically cinched things for PSG.

Reactions: SteveJ

PeteManic

Hard to win a match when you don't show up.

Two muscle injuries = tension.

Wrong substitutions.

Ref won't get another match in the knockout stages.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Just more on the ref point (not my only reason for us losing by any stretch. Kneejerkers check my last post).

He played perfectly into PSG’s game. We wanted to impact early and in the 2nd minute went to break, only to be professionally fouled. No card of course because refs like to make the rules up to ‘keep control of the game’.

From then on we got fouled in this way in midfield multiple times with only one card being given against them, if I remember right. Meanwhile the ref blows every time they throw themselves to the ground.

It completely ruined our game plan of an energetic start. Of course then they wanted to play, once we were tired and frustrated, and had been very unfortunate with the injuries. All of a sudden the ref is saying we’re going down to easily when we’re clearly fouled. This happens multiple times too. Of course the fella who should have had 4 yellow cards scored.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Young
Shaw
Mata
Sanchez
Lukaku
Lingard

You don’t win the big titles with players like that. Just not good enough.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
We weren't in control for more than about 20 percent of the game. Most of the first half was a cagey 50/50 contest. They simply outclassed us in the 2nd.
Yea but as the guy you posted said, the subs were clearly a big part of why the game changed.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Mbappe is fast.
Verratti is world class.

The end

RoyH1

A stat for this tie, the United players tonight had some 255 matches in total in the CL, the PSG starting team had 589 between them.
It really showed too. They looked very secure playing away.

Zlatattack

Unlucky with injuries - after Lingard and Martial came off we were not good enough, let down by a lot of players.

My ratings;

DDG - Decent game, great save against Mbappe.
Young - tried hard but mostly ineffective. It's not his fault, he's the best RB we have at the club. He wasn't very good at attacking or defending, just very busy.
Bailly - had an alright game, didn't really register for me.
Lindelof - Good game, was very good on the ball.
Shaw - pathetic. He's fat, slow, lazy and avoiding doing anything. The only thing he did all game was recieve the ball, knock it straight at Pogba and then slowly waddle up. Never had the intensity, no intention to make himself available outwide, crosses were shit.
Matic - at fault for the first goal, moved the ball from defense to midfield, but don't really see what else he offered all game.
Herrera - At least he tried a couple of shots at goal, moved the ball around. Never really threatened though.
Pogba - don't run the game, but i don't expect him to. He was our best attacking player, always driving forwards, just marked out of the game, especially because of a lack of support.
Martial - poor first half, then got injured.
Rashford - quiet game for him, but was isolated, especially second half.
Lingard - had a normal game by his standards. Didn't threaten goal, but got himself about, moved the ball quickly, clever link up play. Considering its either him of a traffic cone at RW, we end up lowering expectations, hence for me it was an ok game by his standards.
Mata - He had one shot at goal, don't know if he was on the pitch the rest of the time or not.
Sanchez - I reckon the real one is stuck down a mine in Chile and we've got a ringer. Did nothing all match, if we had a choice, he'd never play for us again.
Lukaku - he was only on for like 5 minutes. Made 1 run in all that time. Probably wanted to avoid having to take a shower post match.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Men against boys tonight. Not one of our players looked good enough, completely outclassed and outfought.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
We killed the game ourselves by sending Mata on for Martial which was a major tactical blunder since Mata was non existent . With 2 ineffective wingers and an old right back on a yellow card we were dead ducks on counter since neither could stay on the wings nor take on the wingbacks .

We should have sent Lukaku on for Martial so that atleast then we would have had a physical presence and probably give the PSG centre backs something to think about .

P.S. We kinda missed Fellaini today while chasing the game .
So the major tactical blunder was not putting Lukaku on the wing? It would have resulted in the same thing and you'd be here posting that not putting Mata at right wing was a major tactical blunder.

Fact is, we have no genuine wingers who can beat a fecking man. Cute one touch passing all over the squad. Crowd them out and we're nullified.

buckooo1978

no major complaints as PSG the best side on the ball

we looked spooked, nervous and messing up the opportunities we had in the first half

after the injuries we were done - Sanchez and Mata offered nothing but the whole team shrunk in that second half particularly after conceding

how good was Marquinious - fantastic footballer, fantastic athlete

Ole will have learned more about our lack of quality on the bench and our lack of quality from full back

Gomes

Martial and Lingard did nothing. Absolutely nothing. Their injuries are bad because of the following games, but it had not effect on today's result.
PSG turned it on for 20 minutes and the game was over. They just decided to do it in the second half. After the 20 minutes they played like in the first half again.

The referee was one of the worst I have seen.

settembrini

Everyone talked about how PSG would miss Neymar and Cavani but at least their replacements can run. When we brought on Sanchez and Mata we went from pacy attackers to having two snails on the wings. All their defensive players pushed forward knowing we couldn't punish them and they completely overran us.

Critical that we sort this out in the summer.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Young
Shaw
Mata
Sanchez
Lukaku
Lingard

You don’t win the big titles with players like that. Just not good enough.
Lingard shouldn't be on that list given how poor we became after him and Martial went off. And given Martial did feck all...

Walters_19_MuFc

Bollocks was it a reality check. Nothing in it until they scored. Both teams were poor going forward, and as I said at half time, one bit of quality will change the game.

Unfortunately, it was PSG and the goal played right into their hands as they were able to sit back and hit us on the counter, which is where their second goal came from.

On another day if we score the first goal we win that.

NK86

Only caught the second half. Are the injuries serious?

PSG schooled us tonight but there is no shame as we are still a level or two behind them. With the right acquisitions in the summer, I am confident we will get closer to teams like them. We really need an upgrade on our back up attackers as well as the first choice RB/RW positions before we can go head to head with these teams.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
This required a Mourinho coached side
:lol: Careful you’re gonna cause some people an aneurysm here.

Not sure if I can agree with that because even we were getting sloppy and letting in silly goals while parking the bus. Not sure we’d get any closer to scoring either.

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 405 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • PSG win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Man Utd 2:1 PSG
  • 18% Man Utd 2:0 PSG