CL W Champions League Group H

Paris St Germain 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 20 October 2020

Gungne

Fantastic performance. AWB and Tuanzebe brilliant!

And the referee was one of the better one I have seen in a long time. 10/10

MrBest

It is hard selecting the MoTm, Fred, AwB, Tuanzabe, De Gea were awesome but it has to be Tuanzabe for me. He played his first game in a year against one of Europes best teams and his last game was against Colchester in the league cup last year. Anyone else think Maguire slows us down too much? I think Telles was really really good too, good space he creates, great crosses and corners, just his defensive runs needs a bit of work. My biggest praise goes to Ole though. He has been under immense pressure lately and he managed that game superbly. Brought Pogba on at the right time, closed the game off after the game with DVB and James coming on. We need to crack on from this now, confidence into the Chelsea game. No point looking further.

Gordon S

So so pleased with that!! Not a perfect performance but it feels awesome to win a game like this and still feel we could have done even more.
No injuries and Pogba, Donny, Matic, Maguire, Greenwood, Mata with, hopefully, fresh legs for the weekend.

The Oracle

Brilliant from the lads tonight.

More than capable replacements if Maguire doesn't get his act together.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Excellent performance overall. Only complaint is the forwards need to make the right decisions around the goal as against the very best teams you might get only one opportunity through on goal and you have to take it.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Absolutely excellent display tonight from everyone involved but special mentions to De Gea, Lindelof, Axel, AWB and Fred, who were exceptional.

Bit more ruthlessness and it could've been really comfortable. Fantastic.

SkybrokenPendulum

Great performance from the lads. Glad we fecked them. Overall great match from everyone. Rashford and Martial ve been abysmal. Even Rashford won it at the end. Guys head have been off the pitch for a long time. One moment of magic and he won it. Defence was epic great. Axel made in Championship, delivered in Champions League

zvezdar

We were fantastic. PSG could not get into their stride as we were excellent in breaking up play and one on one defending. Neymar was a prat as usual, and glad rat boy didn't get a sniff. Mbappe will be playing for Real Madrid next season.

I can't pick a MoTM, but the highlight for me was Tuanzebe. He just looked a complete defender tonight: quick, composed, dominant against one of the better attacks in world football. He really looks a player.

For me that's what United is about, watching these kids come in from the academy and have this kind of game that announces them to world football. Just brilliant.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Compare that tonight to Brighton away in the league, or palace at home....night and day.

Why do these players perform like this in the bigger games and look clueless heartless and disjointed at times against lesser teams???

I dont get it....

That said , the performance tonight was great.

Back 3 is the answer
Because we literally had no pre season, mad that people don't realise that's the entire reason we started the season badly.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
I was harsh on ole this weekend. Today i will praise him for how well hes done. Aside from martial who still had moments everyone played extremely well. We were by far the better team. We really squandered alot of chances in the final third. Today could have been a blow out. Rashford needs to work on the decision making going forward and martial needs to be dropped for a bit i think.

Ddg: did his job and was the keeper we all remember.

Awb: had mbappe in his pocket.. great tackles all game.

Tuanzebe: 10months since his last game? Looks to have grown into a solid unit in that time. Had a really good game today hopefully he can be a reliable player in our 11 or squad.

Lindelof: looked like rio out there today one of his best performances in the shirt.

Shaw: contiued his good form from the weekend. Was defensively sound and was a threat going forward

Telles: solid game.. didnt see much from him defensively but he put in some nice balls. Sadly no real target for him outside of corner kicks.

Fred: motm today.. was all over the park. Progessed the ball almost every counter.. only criticism i have is that he would pass wide instead of a risky high reward pass to martial/rashy a few times.

Mctominay: a real presence in midfield lately. Hes improving still and turned up today. defensively sound and in the box was a huge threat.

Bruno: wasnt his best game overall but he put in a shift and created some great chances. Hes very important to our midfield and compliments fred very well. There was no way hes gonna miss 3 pens in a row!!

Martial: been poor this season.. had some nice dribbles and won the pen but besides that wasnt a threat. was unlucky for the own goal. Always been inconsistent player but he needs to kick on. Maybe needs some time out of the 11 if it continues.

Rashford: worked hard all game. Made some bad decisions but took his goal really well.

Subs:

Pogba: got an assist to win the game. Was a cog in midfield instead of being the main feature. The pressure is off him now so maybe he can perform for us again.

James/vdb: didnt get to do much.

Ole: ive been harsh on this man. I think hes deserved it for some of our past performances. Today though he was spot on and really deserves all the praise. Absolute master class. Hopefully he can keep it up and prove me and many others wrong.

Mercurial

Everything about this match was awesome! Ref was hard-core! Players were electric!! What a win!!!

Jezpeza

We were fantastic. PSG could not get into their stride as we were excellent in breaking up play and one on one defending. Neymar was a prat as usual, and glad rat boy didn't get a sniff. Mbappe will be playing for Real Madrid next season.

I can't pick a MoTM, but the highlight for me was Tuanzebe. He just looked a complete defender tonight: quick, composed, dominant against one of the better attacks in world football. He really looks a player.

For me that's what United is about, watching these kids come in from the academy and have this kind of game that announces them to world football. Just brilliant.
great CL game. Its only one game, but if thats Axels constant level and he can stay fit we might have a solution at the back

Tel074

Well there is a result to keep all the clowns quiet for another week. Great tactics by the manager and coaches . De Gea unbelievable, Shaw, Fred, AWB, McT, Lindelof all brilliant.

gearoid

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
That wasn't too shabby at all. Chuffed for Fred, Tuanzebe and Ole. Looks like Telles can cross a ball, and we now have a bit of depth on the bench. Always nice to come on to the CAF after a performance like that.

dalriada

Pleased for Marcus tonight, fluffed more than one chance but the winning goal was pure class. Watch his post-match interview - mature, thinks about what he's saying and his mindset is always so impressive for a 22 year old.

Highfather_24

So many at the beginning clamouring for Pogba and VdB to start. Its not always about playing your best players. Shows how much fans understand.

Absolute brilliant tactics by Ole.

Infestissumam

Fred, Lindelöf and Wan-Bissaka were all great tonight, but Tuanzebe is my MotM easily. To come in and play like that after being out for 10 months, against Mbappe and Neymar of all people ... simply ridiculous. Please stay healthy.

absolutely buzzing with that performance tonight!

cyberman

Tuchel claimed it didnt feel like a big game because there were no fans.

stu_1992

Rashford's done em again! What a result! We were were very much the underdogs but we showed up against them again and we were good value for our win. I would have taken the draw but it did feel bitter with it being an OG. Solid perofmances all round. Can't pick anyone out as a weak point, and particular impressive as we had a few people with little to no football starting in a formation we havant used yet this season. Obviously we had defensive injuries too. I watched this in a French bar where I was the lone United fan so I was buzzing when Rashford scored again!

RedChisel

Superb performance by both the manager and the team. Ole got his tactics spot on and the team executed them perfectly.

All the Muppets talking crap about Ole and saying how we will be hammered should be in here apologising, but doubt they will be anywhere to be seen.

Gasolin

Get the feck in

What a performance even if PSG were shite
So you have to question why they were s*** when they had the front line of Mbappe, Neymar and Di Maria and they could make anything happen. Why? And the answer is that we completely asphyxiate them. Ole has done another tactical master class but of course, he's just a PE teacher who asks his player to play free.

Nobody cares also that with subs (so intentional), he went from 5/3/2, then moved to 4/4/2 diamond and then again to 4/2/3/1!!!

scorgasm

Last Man Standing champion 2020/21
Really happy with De Gea. A couple of great saves but there were two notable times when he came off his line and played the sweeper role which was important with our high line and the pace of Neymar and especially Mbappe running in behind. Great performance from the whole side.

JanK

Supports
Napoli
Some notes from today's epic performance:

- Telles's corners are world class. The swerve and accuracy are top notch.
- Back 5 is the way to go. Our defence needs bolstering and 3 at the back with Shaw as LCB is very reasonable choice.
- Whose role should Maguire take if we start using back 5?
- Fred, Scott and Bruno are truly balanced midfield. Very passionate, aggressive, uncomfortable to play against.
- Would like to see Martial dropped for Cavani. He needs to sort some things out.
- Bruno's penalties need some overhaul. He should focus on accuracy and power.
- AWB's tackling makes opposition afraid - he is so straightforward and let him keep up with it.
- Pogba as a super sub is the right one. Drop the 4-2-3-1 and let him have his 25-30 minutes. It should motivate him a bit.
- Want to see VdB more and more, giving Bruno rest.
- DDG seems to have found himself and shows passion.
- Dislike Ole's sub tactics - he should give players more rest and start tweaking from 60th minute. Last 1-2 subs around 85th-90th when they are for time wasting or purely bus parking ones.
-

Reactions: Invictus

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Not seen anyone slide in to such a tight angle and score in Paris since Marlon Brando.

Player Ratings

7.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 523 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • PSG win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 14% PSG 3:1 Man Utd
  • 14% PSG 2:1 Man Utd