CL W Champions League Group H

Paris St Germain 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 20 October 2020

The Oracle

They may have been dressed like zebra's...

but they performed like lions tonight!

Proud of the lads, and let that performance carry into the Chelsea game at the weekend.

ti vu

That Diallo was annoyingly good for them wasn't he.
Bar the stupid challenge that gave away the penalty, he kept up 1vs1 with Martial all game. And with how exposed PSG defense was when we counter attacked, it's a miracle how they only conceded 1 goal from open play.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Superb football match. Brilliant for us, good for neutrals. Some fine Champions League football back finally.

TRUERED89

Lighting does strike twice then :lol:. What a goal Rashy! Brilliant team performance too.

redmanx

I was harsh on ole this weekend. Today i will praise him for how well hes done. Aside from martial who still had moments everyone played extremely well. We were by far the better teams but really squandered alot of chances in the final third. Today could have been a blow out. Rashford needs to work on the decision making going forward and martial needs to be dropped for a bit i think.

Ddg: did his job and was the keeper we all remember.

Awb: had mbappe in his pocket.. great tackles all game.

Tuanzebe: 10months since his last game? Looks to have grown into a solid unit in that time. Had a really good game today hopefully he can be a reliable player in our 11 or squad.

Lindelof: looked like rio out there today one of his best performances in the shirt.

Shaw: contiued his good form from the weekend. Was defensively sound and was a threat going forward

Telles: solid game.. didnt see much from him defensively but he put in some nice balls. Sadly no real target for him outside of corner kicks.

Fred: motm today.. was all over the park. Progessed the ball almost every counter.. only criticism i have is that he would pass wide instead of a risky high reward pass to martial/rashy a few times.

Mctominay: a real presence in midfield lately. Hes improving still and turned up today. defensively sound and in the box was a huge threat.

Bruno: wasnt his best game overall but he put in a shift and created some great chances. Hes very important to our midfield and co.pliments fred very well. There was no way hes gonna miss 3 pens in a row!!

Martial: been poor this season.. had some nice dibbles and won the pen but besides that wasnt a threat. was unlucky for the own goal. Always been inconsistent player but he needs to kick on. Maybe needs some time out of the 11 if it continues.

Rashford: worked hard all game. Made some bad decisions but took his goal really well.

Subs:

Pogba: got an assist to win the game. Was a cog in midfield instead of being the main feature. The pressure is off him now so maybe he can perform for us.

James/vdb: didnt get to do much.

Ole: ive been harsh on this man. I think hes deserved it for some of our past performances. Today though he was spot on and really deserves all the praise. Absolute master class. Hopefully he can keep it up and prove me and many others wrong.
We were fantastic. PSG could not get into their stride as we were excellent in breaking up play and one on one defending. Neymar was a prat as usual, and glad rat boy didn't get a sniff. Mbappe will be playing for Real Madrid next season.

I can't pick a MoTM, but the highlight for me was Tuanzebe. He just looked a complete defender tonight: quick, composed, dominant against one of the better attacks in world football. He really looks a player.

For me that's what United is about, watching these kids come in from the academy and have this kind of game that announces them to world football. Just brilliant.

ForeverRed1

Really was a great performance from us tonight. Collective, fighting for each other. Defence was brilliant, tuanzebe was exceptional, praying he can stay injury free for us, could be a big big big player for us this season!

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
Great result, i thought keeping Newcastle quiet on their home patch may have been a fluke but doing it to PSG too!

Our defence was solid, midfield played well, slight concern on our attacking but them Rashers steps uo and scores a beauty.

Solid performance all around, great to see Ole and Phelan celebrating the 2nd goal.

Onwards to Sat and Chelsea.

Gasolin

Best performance in a while, every player on the pitch stepped up their game. Credit also should go to Ole for making the changes that won the match for us. I feel the 4-4-2 diamond with Fred on there might be the way going forward in big games.
No, it's the way to go forward when we have tired the opposition. I think I would let Ole decide on the tactics. He has one of the best big games records in the game right now. He should stay and lead United.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
In addition to how good we were, shout out to the ref. He was faultless and allowed a really good game to flow that wasn't shy of tackles. Top performance.

MrSingh2002

Exciting to see AWB, Tuanzebe and Telles in the same lineup.

I believe that they will be 3 nailed on starters in the defence even if a back 4.

My last 20 lineup wishlists have been vindicated tonight....

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Some notes from today's epic performance:

- Telles's corners are world class. The swerve and accuracy are top notch.
- Back 5 is the way to go. Our defence needs bolstering and 3 at the back with Shaw as LCB is very reasonable choice.
- Whose role should Maguire take if we start using back 5?
- Fred, Scott and Bruno are truly balanced midfield. Very passionate, aggressive, uncomfortable to play against.
- Would like to see Martial dropped for Cavani. He needs to sort some things out.
- Bruno's penalties need some overhaul. He should focus on accuracy and power.
- AWB's tackling makes opposition afraid - he is so straightforward and let him keep up with it.
- Pogba as a super sub is the right one. Drop the 4-2-3-1 and let him have his 25-30 minutes. It should motivate him a bit.
- Want to see VdB more and more, giving Bruno rest.
- DDG seems to have found himself and shows passion.
- Dislike Ole's sub tactics - he should give players more rest and start tweaking from 60th minute. Last 1-2 subs around 85th-90th when they are for time wasting or purely bus parking ones.
-
This!

And who’s spot in that back 3 should Maguire take? No ones really.

redmanx

This was the sort of performance Ole has been waiting for, a fantastic team performance with great individual performances and very, very few errors of the kind we've seen all too much. Now if only we can use this and kick on, the season starts here!

Gasolin

We are infuriatingly inconsistent and how Ole gets these huge away performances over and over again, I’ll never know! We made PSG look pretty ordinary tonight and could have won by more.

Fred outstanding and brilliant goal Marcus! Get in!
Tactics, but also fitness and mental preparation. And the mental focus is the most important one. Ole is a winner. People forget that, but he knows how to prepare you for big games. This is why he's the best manager for United right now, and this is why the players support him. When fitness is top notch (we still need 3 or 4 games), we will be very very strong this season.

Dan_F

I felt that was a much better performance than we’ve seen in other big games under Ole, despite us having decent results previously. We were always going to have 40% possession, but that 40% was so promising. It wasn’t us fecking around with it at the back. Everything seemed to have a purpose, there always seemed to be a man open for a pass.

I just really hope we can get rid of that rigid double pivot with Pogba in there, off the back of this performance.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Happens to me more often than not, losing one side of my lenses and then playing football. One time, I was convinced playing with one eye made me better because I played well with only one lens in.

Anyway, that was a good game. I've been critical of Fred, but that was his best performance for us in the shirt for me. First time I've ever voted him MoM too.

Redlyn

So is it true that PSG hasn't lost a home group game since 2004? That's just insane. Please tell me it's because they have been in the CL that many times in 16 seaons.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Superb win. Both teams looked ropey as feck the entire game. Points is all that matters.

K_Ash

Accept the Diamond guys..stop lying with those 4-2-2-2...accept the Diamond, it is the only lineup to maximize both Bruno and Paul

hubbuh

Bloody get the shit in. I felt like they were there for the taking and the team and management put on an absolute smoke show. Fantastic.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Accept the Diamond guys..stop lying with those 4-2-2-2...accept the Diamond, it is the only lineup to maximize both Bruno and Paul
Yes! It wasn’t 4222222 or whatever people are saying! It was a diamond by the looks of it, which as you said maximises Pogba and Bruno and also VDB when he plays!

Suv666

So is it true that PSG hasn't lost a home group game since 2004? That's just insane. Please tell me it's because they have been in the CL that many times in 16 seaons.
24 matches unbeaten before today

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
As good as we were in attack, it felt like PSG's midfield and defence were weak and we should have punished them further.

I felt the defence is the part that deserved the most praise because we look well organised and their attack is their best asset.

We now have a realistic chance to going through and even winning the group.

Suv666

Telles and Tuanzebe need to start in the PL. Both were fantastic.

Toad

Just a fantastic performance. De Gea absolutely phenomenal, back to his best there. Tuanzebe after not playing for almost a year comes in and is the best centre back on the pitch. Both Tuanzebe and AWB had Neymar and Mbappe in their pockets, crazy good performances.

So refreshing to see Telles swinging in great corners and crosses, he had a fantastic debut and looks to be a great experienced addition. Fred with a controlling performance who shouldn’t be overlooked.

Fernandes as captain makes perfect sense, he scored a penalty but didn’t have his best game all round. Although, from a captain point of view he was superb and should easily take it off Maguire.

Both Martial and Rashford had poor games, Martial couldn’t take it past his man and Rashford got past the last man 3 times to feck it up each time. He got the winning goal though so ultimately that’s all that matters. Pogba also looks good and was very influential when he came on and got the assist for the winner.

Oles tactics were perfectly on point even when he switched to a back 4.

most enjoyable and controlling performance Against a huge side in a while. Very happy and keep.

De gea my man of the match, usually he’d only get it if our goal had been battered but it doesn’t feel that way, it’s an odd one.

K_Ash

whenever Paul is close to the opponent's box with the ball, teams gets terrified

Awla

Manutd have now won 10 consecutive away games in all competitions for the first time in the club's history (source: Opta).

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
De Gea, Tuanzebe, Lindelof, Telles, Wan Bissaka were all 10/10. Could not fault.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
A point against RBL and two wins over Istanbul should be enough to go through now

Flying_Heckfish

Brilliant result and performance. PSG were really lucky that our forwards are so ourt of sorts - we had chance after chance for 1v1s that we somehow conspired to fluff.

As bad ad PSG were, the few times they did get through our defence was excellent. Didn't switch off, always making the challenge at the right time with cover.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Manutd have now won 10 consecutive away games in all competitions for the first time in the club's history (source: Opta).
Quite incredible really... Yet we lost our last 2 at home.

I'd feel much more confident if Saturdays game was at Stamford Bridge.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
We actually played like an experienced CL team with what was a makeshift team.
More of the same please.

Player Ratings

7.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 523 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • PSG win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 14% PSG 3:1 Man Utd