CL W Champions League Group H

Paris St Germain 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 20 October 2020

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Scott and Fred are perfect in this type of game, but in games where we're going to have more of the ball, it shouldn't be the starting midfield for me. But they did brilliantly tonight.
Of course. Problem post lockdown was players outside first XI brought down the standard too much. Relatively speaking, suddenly we have an abundance of bench strength so Ole can now pick formations specific to an opponent and be confident all his players can deliver as he desires.

very exciting times ahead

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
If the lads had not been hell bent on setting up Parisian Martial for a goal, moreso before his o.g, we could have seriously humiliated PSG last night, not bad for an unfit shit weak squad Managed by a failed Cardiff City manager. Something very special is happening at Old Trafford, try and enjoy the ride!

On the game, McTom and Fred both get 11/10, sod it i'll go through the team, yes I am pissed:

De Gea 8
AWB 9
Tuanzebe 9
Lindelof 8
Shaw 8
Telles 8
McTom see above
Fred see above
Fernandes 8
Rashford 9
Martial 7¾

And of the subs even Pogba(8) looked focused and disciplined.

"Ole's at the wheel ......." Too soon?

Alek M

Da manic one
Like the old United. Working hard, going for a win,no matter what.

I hate Martial. Doesn't work hard,closes in or puts pressure. Sulking. Let Rashford as center forward. Telles on the left, greenwood on the right. Let's go.

Also,Pogba is surplus in this team. Barely won a ball in midfield,while Fred,McT,Bruno were all putting in a hard shift.

A sub should have come in earlier. We were getting tired for sure but Ole was going for the win.

Hopefully this lifts Rashford's confidence even more.

AWB - oh my god. Gives me heart attack with his challenges,but he is outstanding.

That De Gea save from Mbape. World class.

Everyone gets a 9 bar Martial or Pogba.

Looked great having two forwards up there.

Last edited:

Gasolin

Like the old United. Working hard, going for a win,no matter what.

I hate Martial. Doesn't work hard,closes in or puts pressure. Sulking. Let Rashford as center forward. Telles on the left, greenwood on the right. Let's go.

Also,Pogba is surplus in this team. Barely won a ball in midfield,while Fred,McT,Bruno were all putting in a hard shift.

A sub should have come in earlier. We were getting tired for sure but Ole was going for the win.

Hopefully this lifts Rashford's confidence even more.

AWB - oh my god. Gives me heart attack with his challenges,but he is outstanding.

That De Gea save from Mbape. World class.

Everyone gets a 9 bar Martial or Pogba.

Looked great having two forwards up there.
Pogba is the one who helped us get 3 goal attempts, it's the most in the game with Telles. He's technically gifted and it showed.
Martial will play an immense role as our 9 this season. Ole is creating a team for both of them, but Pogba needs to improve on the role itself (offensively he's one of the best) and Martial just needs to find back his form of last year.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I really hope we continue trying the 442 diamond. It suits our group of players best as we don’t have proper wide players for a 4231 or 433. anyway. The diamond fits all our best players in their best positions- Rashford/Martial/Greenwood/Cavani as proper strikers, Pogba left, Bruno top, and 2 from VDB/McT/Fred/Matic. Only problem is the width will have to come from our fullbacks which is not really a problem for Telles but more for AWB.

Alek M

Da manic one
Pogba is the one who helped us get 3 goal attempts, it's the most in the game with Telles. He's technically gifted and it showed.
Martial will play an immense role as our 9 this season. Ole is creating a team for both of them, but Pogba needs to improve on the role itself (offensively he's one of the best) and Martial just needs to find back his form of last year.
Both Pogba and Martial do not work hard,press, stuck in. And that will never change.

One of the reasons we were successful last time in Paris is that we didn't had Pogba and the whole team pressed hard

Gasolin

Both Pogba and Martial do not work hard,press, stuck in. And that will never change.

One of the reasons we were successful last time in Paris is that we didn't had Pogba and the whole team pressed hard
That's a misconception. Just in this game, Pogba pressed hard and came to defend and on top of that progressed the ball. Watch him.

Martial is building up fitness and since last year he's incredible in defending for the block as well as carrying the ball forward by providing a fixating point. Ole is rating them both. But most likely the fitness is not top yet. That's all.

Web of Bissaka

Thankfully PSG is having their off day finishing.

Also credit to us for holding it out as best as we can. No seriously, enough number of times their attacks breach our defense. Other moments though, our players did well in stopping them.

Butty19

Scott and Fred are perfect in this type of game, but in games where we're going to have more of the ball, it shouldn't be the starting midfield for me. But they did brilliantly tonight.
Totally agree because against lesser teams we should only have one sitting and two further forward, something we seem reluctant to do unless we’re chasing a game.

PieCrust

Was great to watch both McT and Fred work hard in midfield. Their downfall is that their passing is terrible. But their workrate and ability to win back balls was fantastic.

Shaw was also frustrating in that he had a few great runs moving forward, then just stopped and passed the ball to a PSG player.

A deserved win to be sure, but either side could have really won this match. DDG made 3 or 4 huge saves that easily could have been goals. I don't think PSG played as bad as most think, but rather United was able to tactically shut them down most of the time outside of the start of the second half and especially after the OG was the most dangerous part of the match.

Dropping Pogba has been great for the team and he's actually performed well in both this match and Newcastle when coming on as a sub. Now I want to see DVB get a chance to start.

Martial continues to frustrate as well. The OG really just looked like a lack of effort and/or fear of getting his head on the ball. He was under no pressure and it was a trivially easy clearance, but he just closes his eyes and doesn't come out to meet the ball. Hopefully Cavani can find some form and bring a new angle of attack to the team.

steve.crowford

I hope 3-4-1-2 will be main tactic on the rest of the season, playing beatiful with it! No mess, everything correct and disciplined. My opinion is DeGea man of the match.

Cloud7

Fecking hell I was busy in work all evening/night and didn’t even get to check the result until now. What a brilliant result :drool: How did we play?

georgipep

Good game. My biggest complaint today is that our forwards need to get a little more greedy. Seemed as though everyone (Rashford in particular) were trying too hard to get Martial a goal and were forcing passes when a shot was on. Other than that, a well deserved victory...

De Gea...I've been a critic. He was really good today. Came off his line for some balls that he normally wouldn't. I would like to see him be a little braver on some of those balls he kicked. But good game none the less.

Telles...That is a sweet left foot that will provide a lot of assists. Shaw has done nothing wrong and is a fantastic LB, but I want to see more of Telles

Tuanzebe...The surprise of the day. Didn't think he would be included. I thought for sure McTominay would be at the back. He did well. Would like to see more. Too bad he's right footed though. If he were left footed he would almost be an automatic starter

AWB...my man of the match. My phone says he only made 3 tackles but it seemed like a lot more. M'Bappe may have some nightmares tonight...

Ole...made the right subs at the right time to change the game

Rashford...was going to be my "donkey" of the match but he scored the winner. Sorry Martial, but you take that honour now :lol: :lol: :lol:
You thought Wan-Bissaka made more tackles on Mbappe because it was Tuanzebe primarily that dealt with him ;)

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I want to know where the idiots are who proclaimed a 4-1 win or trashing by PSG? The idea that Mbappe and Neymar would tear holes in our defence, have a field day etc

During the match itself: Rashford and Martial are shit, McT was our worst player and needs to come off for Matic, Neymar was schooling him etc. Rashford is an idiot, a poor footballer.

I know the match day thread can overreact but FFS some of the posts even when it was clear we were so much better than PSG plumbed new depths :lol:

Dante

Average bang
Tuanzebe is such an intelligent lad. Always impressed when I hear him speak in interviews. Future captain.

Red_Aaron

Extraordinary effort from Axel all things considered - MOTM by default for me, mbappe will be seeing him in his nightmares

DDG and the defensive shape were excellent and gave us the platform to control the game and carry a real threat from start to finish . The only worry I had all night was that we hadn't pressed home our advantage enough and we could get sucker punched given their forwards.

Great goal from Marcus. Great discipline and drive from McFred, great corners from Telles, great character from Bruno, great tactics and game management from the staff.

I loved it and still buzzing of it this morning
I love football

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
It seems like we play a lot better without pogba in the team, mctominay and Fred give us energy and passion and they have a really good understanding. Is this the way forward?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Simply our best team performance for years, and certainly better than the last game in Paris. DDG's best game in more than two years (although he's still far from the bravest keeper I've seen) and Rashford's best game in a long time. Everyone also looked fitter (at last).

To be fair, i can't make my mind up if PSG were poor or were made to look poor; I certainly thought there were better than this, given last season's showing but their midfield was awful.

Top marks for pretty much everyone in the defence, Luke Shaw and Lindelof looked much more relaxed than of late and Scotty Mc T was awesome in front of them. Telles will probably never be world class but he looks tidy and usually makes the right choices. Fred looked good too. Even Pogba, when he came on, did the right things, not holding on to the ball too long or trying to be too clever.

Criticisms? Rashford and Marital still make the wrong choices when choosing whether to pass or shoot, indeed Martial was almost anonymous other than the ridiculous own goal - it actually looked like he was trying to score!

Ole got the shape of the side just right - not something he does often enough - and the tactics were good. Trouble is they won't work often enough in the PL. I am leaning towards PSG not being that great... one thin that did surprise me is Navas is a better keeper than I thought: he was good throughout and dominated his area

DevilRed

Excellent performance all around. Our midfield worked so hard.

Tuanzebe is a revelation. If he hadn't been injured last season we would undoubtedly have a better defence. I really hope he kicks on and solidifies himself as Maguire's partner. Consistency is the key for him and of course avoiding injury. So effortless and composed in his defending for someone so young.

We were very wasteful upfront. Martial and even Rashford aren't firing on all cylinders yet. Whats great is that we will now have Cavani (and Greenwood) to push them for places. Especially Martial who blows hot and cold a little too often.

DomM

A great overall display, having two sitting in front of the defence seems to make a huge difference to the balance of the team, was mega impressed with Tuanzebe on his first match in nearly a year. Looking forward to Chelsea now.

steve.crowford

I want to know where the idiots are who proclaimed a 4-1 win or trashing by PSG? The idea that Mbappe and Neymar would tear holes in our defence, have a field day etc

During the match itself: Rashford and Martial are shit, McT was our worst player and needs to come off for Matic, Neymar was schooling him etc. Rashford is an idiot, a poor footballer.

I know the match day thread can overreact but FFS some of the posts even when it was clear we were so much better than PSG plumbed new depths :lol:
Omg, you are fecking PSG fan)

pav1790

Of course. Problem post lockdown was players outside first XI brought down the standard too much. Relatively speaking, suddenly we have an abundance of bench strength so Ole can now pick formations specific to an opponent and be confident all his players can deliver as he desires.

very exciting times ahead
That’s his biggest challenge. Keeping the squad fresh and motivated. He’s doing a good job of it, bringing the players out of funk and building a pool of players that he can rely on to do a job. And players are responding.

This team, whatever be their flaws and shortcomings, listens to the manager. And the manager, whatever his limits, knows man management.

Disgraceful fans and media onslaught Against The Whole team and management after just two weeks of bad results.

Hammondo

Only when given a lot of space does pogba produce anything. He's a sub, we can't start him.

fps

Can't argue with the result, even if we were a bit wasteful and at times disjointed in attack. I much prefer us when we put out a more solid midfield, it makes a world of difference.
Yes, Pogba works as an impact player better than from the off, because the midfield battle needs winning. Or you put him higher up the pitch. But not at the expense of Bruno, who refuses to let anything stop the team from trying.

fps

All of these great teams just don't have the answer for Fred and Scott.
If the game is truly a squad game now, Fred is a Park type player who may start the biggest matches for his harrying and intercepting. I’d like to see him impose himself more on smaller teams though, he made some big bursts through the PSG midfield but I don’t see him do that often in the PL, probably due to defensive opposition team shapes.

pav1790

Thankfully PSG is having their off day finishing.

Also credit to us for holding it out as best as we can. No seriously, enough number of times their attacks breach our defense. Other moments though, our players did well in stopping them.
Load of shite. We had same number of shots on target and shots overall. We were off on finishing as well.

Gasolin

If the game is truly a squad game now, Fred is a Park type player who may start the biggest matches for his harrying and intercepting. I’d like to see him impose himself more on smaller teams though, he made some big bursts through the PSG midfield but I don’t see him do that often in the PL, probably due to defensive opposition team shapes.
Why? We didn't play Park that often for small teams. That's not the end of the world. The goal is to win the league and try to win the CL, so he doesn't have to start every single game. We want to be able to rotate, Ole wants that, I think that's ok.

fps

Why? We didn't play Park that often for small teams. That's not the end of the world. The goal is to win the league and try to win the CL, so he doesn't have to start every single game. We want to be able to rotate, Ole wants that, I think that's ok.
Well, if I was Fred, that would be my target, that’s all. It’s better to have a settled lineup but his close quarters harrying isn’t that useful sometimes, so he needs to bring out those other sides of his game we see glimpses of.

Comet49

Regarding penalties, goalkeepers should maybe stand a little behind the line if moving forward gives them more impetus to dive, just a thought.

Gasolin

Regarding penalties, goalkeepers should maybe stand a little behind the line if moving forward gives them more impetus to dive, just a thought.
Yeah maybe. Although the whole reason of their move is to try to reduce the angle so I don't know how helpful that move would be, but it might be helpful. GK is a difficult position.

SkybrokenPendulum

It was a great moment when Mbappe had a ball 75 m away from our goal and Axel pressed him like a goddamn maniac. Proper effort. Future captain

FatherWolff

Just loved it! People think tactics is mostly about formations, but forget player and team instructions. All of them where spot on, and the players playing for the shirt! I’m watching it again just to enjoy.

Player Ratings

7.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 523 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • PSG win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 14% PSG 3:1 Man Utd
  • 14% PSG 2:1 Man Utd