CL W Champions League Group H

Paris St Germain 1:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 20 October 2020

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
The lads were really fired up for this. De Gea especially. Barking at the defense, making big strong saves, even his distribution was excellent. There was a fire in his eyes that has been missed.
Hmm, he was great but his distribution wasn't the best.

lex talionis

I highly doubt Pogba is near the majorities first 11, especially not against a team of this level. I can definitely see Greenwood and Cavani in though.
Pogba has been dropped for now but it’s not plausible to believe that Fred and McTominay will start ahead of him the rest of the season.

Sea-Cow

My opinion on Ole hasn't changed, but have to say well done for the performance last night. The formation was spot on, but more importantly, the lads all fought their asses off (except for one, who still looks like he is on drugs).

Neymar is such an incredible footballer. He can move so quickly with the ball, it was amazing in the first-half. But then.... he looked like he lost the will to dominate the game and only really popped up here and there.

As much as Neymar is such an incredible footballer, Di Maria is an equal douche. God I hate him. Our lads should all be fined a week's wages for not kicking him more.

Rashford was brilliant for the goal, but what in the world was that decision early in the second half when we had a 2 on 1 break, and instead of driving it direct to goal he tried to play a curling ball in to Martial about 40 yards out? I don't know what he was thinking there.

Well done to DDG for some of those saves. Amazing.

And I know I might be alone on this, but I think Axel got away with the push on Mbappe in the first half. He did great to keep pace with him there and got his angle right, but I am not sure how that wasn't a foul. Anywhere else on the pitch outside of the box and I am sure that gets called.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
You thought Wan-Bissaka made more tackles on Mbappe because it was Tuanzebe primarily that dealt with him ;)
Tuanzebe's weren't tackles (he only made 1). He did very well though with keeping pace and using his body to shield off M'Bappe. It was a fantastic performance especially considering his age and that he hasn't played in ages...

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Both Pogba and Martial do not work hard,press, stuck in. And that will never change.

One of the reasons we were successful last time in Paris is that we didn't had Pogba and the whole team pressed hard
With a minute left Pogba was shielding the ball at the corner to eat up time. He tried to play it off the opponent and lost possession for a goal kick. I watched Pogba sprint back to his defensive position.

Pogba played well and did his part defensively. This means a lot and it shows great management by Ole. Pogba is not sulking and has not said anything stupid in the press, he accepted his roles in the past two matches and played well. Hopefully, Pogba realizes he needs to fight for a spot on the field and he will up his game significantly. So far Ole has handled this very well.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
My opinion on Ole hasn't changed, but have to say well done for the performance last night. The formation was spot on, but more importantly, the lads all fought their asses off (except for one, who still looks like he is on drugs).

Neymar is such an incredible footballer. He can move so quickly with the ball, it was amazing in the first-half. But then.... he looked like he lost the will to dominate the game and only really popped up here and there.

As much as Neymar is such an incredible footballer, Di Maria is an equal douche. God I hate him. Our lads should all be fined a week's wages for not kicking him more.

Rashford was brilliant for the goal, but what in the world was that decision early in the second half when we had a 2 on 1 break, and instead of driving it direct to goal he tried to play a curling ball in to Martial about 40 yards out? I don't know what he was thinking there.

Well done to DDG for some of those saves. Amazing.

And I know I might be alone on this, but I think Axel got away with the push on Mbappe in the first half. He did great to keep pace with him there and got his angle right, but I am not sure how that wasn't a foul. Anywhere else on the pitch outside of the box and I am sure that gets called.
Your opinion should be changing slightly with Ole.

I agree about Neymar. He could and should be the best player in the world. I think he isn''t because he does not have a high football IQ. The best proof was the CL final vs BM. No smart player tries to beat two defenders when they are 60m from the goal.

Rashford's 2 v 1 play is just another reason why I hesitate to accept him as the future of MU. That was such bad decision making, the type of situation you learn from when you are 16. The other two breakaways when he could have been 1v1 with the keeper and let the defenders nick the ball away is more reason. This is basic stuff for a good fast forward.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Because Mbappe wasn't in control of the ball making it a 50/50 situation and shoulder to shoulder contact? I'm not 100% sure that's how the ref saw it but would make sense as to why it was a non call.

Sea-Cow

Because Mbappe wasn't in control of the ball making it a 50/50 situation and shoulder to shoulder contact? I'm not 100% sure that's how the ref saw it but would make sense as to why it was a non call.
In my view he was in control up until he got a two-handed push! If that was the other way around I would have been screaming for a pen.

The one in the second-half was perfectly done by Axel and I think was actually a shoulder to shoulder challenge. The first-half though man.... that was a push. Oh well, the ref was letting them play and it went in our favour, so I am not complaining.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
In my view he was in control up until he got a two-handed push! If that was the other way around I would have been screaming for a pen.

The one in the second-half was perfectly done by Axel and I think was actually a shoulder to shoulder challenge. The first-half though man.... that was a push. Oh well, the ref was letting them play and it went in our favour, so I am not complaining.
The one in the second half was a shirt pull from Mbappe.

Gator Nate

Still buzzing... :)

Excellent play across the board. The boys showed up. Ole had them set up well, made great substitutions and formation changes.

Match fitness is definitely there. We were not dragging with ten minutes to go. When Ole did make his subs, Telles, Bruno, and Tony did not look wasted coming off the field. Fred ran his tail off for 90 minutes and I think he could have gone extra time. This is NOT the same squad Ole inherited - it's taken two years, and the board still isn't making enough proper moves, but this is definitely Ole's squad now.

A lot of folks find the 3-5-2 "too defensive" but Ole only lets it get that way when he needs it. With the speed he's added to the team, this formation becomes very attacking very fast and that's the direction he's been headed.

Telles was an absolute revelation, especially his left foot. With the 3-5-2 formation, this allows Shaw to stay in a little on the attack. Shaw has trouble up against the sideline and in the corner. With Telles covering that, Luke could stay inside without worry and be more effective. Telles put in a shift, and as I said above, didn't look gassed when he was pulled at 68'. And his corners... :drool:

I suspect Ole will have words with Rashford and Martial. They need to take the shot rather than the pass. Bruno was guilty of that at least once, as well. Greenwood has no such qualms. That said, both played exceptionally well, I thought. Martial is taking a lot of stick, but his off-the-ball work and defensive press were particularly effective. Scoring goals is hard, and doing the right thing doesn't always pay off, but it will pay off eventually. The OG header was a fluke. Rashford redeemed himself with the winner, but he made some great runs and good passes outside of that. Shouldn't had two or three goals on the night, though.

The defense was incredible. PSG seldom got into the box. We just didn't allow it. Lindelof was as aggressive as I've ever seen him. Tuanzebe went freaking Gandalf on PSG's attackers on the right, that is, whenever AWB's Aragorn didn't slide-tackle them away first. Telles and Shaw worked well together on the left side. But Fred's contributions were probably the best of the night and McTominay really got disciplined after the card. PSG's front line are going to make anyone look foolish - they are fast. Period. Ole set the right men in the right spots to absorb it and turn it away.

Squad depth is so much better now. We were controlling the game with Pogba, Van de Beek, Henderson, Mata, Matic, Williams, and Fosu-Mensa on the bench. Maguire and Greenwood weren't even in Paris.

As I write this, the MOTM results are as follows: Fred 28%, Tuanzebe 25%, DeGea 17%, Wan-Bissaka 14%. I actually find that pretty impressive on such a big win.

Dve

Pogba has been dropped for now but it’s not plausible to believe that Fred and McTominay will start ahead of him the rest of the season.
It´s a long season and hard to predict who will be starting later in the season. There will be injuries and players will drop form, and last season, it was McTominay and Pogba in August, Fred and Matic in February, and after lockdown, Pogba and Matic.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Seems the ratings of Martial and Rashford has been mixed up...

Rashford was looking like he had lost all talent or at least caught a very bad case of Covid-19 just in time for the game. It truly is one of the worst performances I have ever seen up until the 85th minute. How on earth has he ended up with a 7.6 rating? Because he scored a winner? He probably should've scored three more before that.

And Martial, our star in the attack, who did not have his best game, yet outclassed PSG's defense. He got us a pen and was a real danger throughout the entire game. He got unlucky with the own-goal and it shouldn't affect his rating that much.

I have to admit, when I saw the starting eleven for this game I just laughed and thought that this would be Ole's last game. Fred and McTominay starting ahead of Van de Beek, Rashford playing on the right and Tuanzebe getting his first start and alongside Lindelof out of all people. Then playing Telles and Shaw at the same time seemed absolutely barking but everything just clicked. Not sure how much of the glory Ole deserves but all of these players who have been severely underperforming in the PL went out there and put in one of the most professional performances since the Fergie days. Sure, this PSG side was pretty poor but the way we have been performing this season I thought they would steamroll right over us. And while they had a bunch of injuries they still had their world-class front three. Not to mention that our biggest stars and contributors, Rashford and Fernandes, weren't playing at their best. The rest really showed us why they're players at this club in the first place.

Anyway here are my ratings from this terrific game:

De Gea - 8/10 - Old Dave is back. Another class performance.

Wan-Bissaka - 9/10 - He had some trouble getting past the PSG defense but other than that world class performance.
Tuanzebe - 9/10 - Oh, how we've waited for this. How we began to give up. Yet here he is. The answer.
Lindelof - 7/10 - Nothing spectacular, but he didn't put a foot wrong. Solid.
Shaw - 7/10 - Kind of the same as Lindelof. Worked surprisingly well alongside Telles.
Telles - 7/10 - Great debut. Those crosses had me licking my lips. Looking forward to see more.

McTominay - 6/10 - Shaky start, and boy did he have his hands full, but he came out on top. Really grew with the task.
Fernandes - 7/10 - Not his best game but he was still the brain behind everything. The heart of the team.
Fred - 9/10 - Didn't put a foot wrong. Won balls, started attacks. Ate up the PSG midfield.

Rashford - 3/10 - Like I said, one of the worst performances I've ever seen. If not for the goal, I'd give him 1/10.
Martial - 6/10 - When Rashford didn't show up, Martial had to do all the offensive work and he did it very well.

- - - - - -

Pogba - 6/10 - Looked really rusty and insecure but really got into it eventually.
Yikes.

C'mon FC

Supports
1. FC Köln
Nice overall watch yesterday. An extra compliment for the ref. yesterday; the best performance i've seen in years!

Another good performance by OGS: Good tacitical game and when Tuchel changed his formation, Ole reacted accordingly in Paris' strongest phase and secured the win with his changes. Furthermore letting Pogba on the bench was a really strong move and luckily he was rewarded for that.
Lastly I've to critizise Martial again. I think he is actually terrible, slowing down attacks, choosing wrong passes, loses the ball to easily. Not enough quality for Man Utd, period.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Why not? Fred’McT was the platform for our march pre lockdown form, and the team looked so balanced on past 2 games.

I feel nervous when Pogba plays because I know he will prove a defensive liability and likely cost us goals. And I’m relieved when he doesn’t start.

I wouldn’t trust him against top 6 teams or elite high energy euro teams. So that leaves him with as a flat track bully against weak teams or as an impact since against tiring teams (like Ole used to to do).

now Ole has established the principle that he will to drop him, and the team knows it can win without him, Pogba can only expect to be picked when it suits the teams requirements

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
To @JPRouve and any other French posters:

How did French press and public at large react to our performance last night?
And how did they react to seeing Pogba getting dropped onto the bench?

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Why not? Fred’McT was the platform for our march pre lockdown form, and the team looked so balanced on past 2 games.

I feel nervous when Pogba plays because I know he will prove a defensive liability and likely cost us goals. And I’m relieved when he doesn’t start.

I wouldn’t trust him against top 6 teams or elite high energy euro teams. So that leaves him with as a flat track bully against weak teams or as an impact since against tiring teams (like Ole used to to do).

now Ole has established the principle that he will to drop him, and the team knows it can win without him, Pogba can only expect to be picked when it suits the teams requirements
Same with me. I just get nervous when he gets the ball close to our box because he gets caught out so many times.

You can bet your house that managers do be telling teams to target him because they know he is not good at retaining the ball.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Is it me or is Neymar looking more and more like a weird younger hipster version of Jimmy Kimmel?

DSG

The most encouraging things in order of importance:

1. The potential emergence of Axel Tuanzebe. His performance shows he can be a top CB. He now needs opportunity, consistency and experience. Was it me or was Tuanzebe matching the pace of Mbappe????
2. Alex Telles was really tidy as the LWB. Better on the ball than Shaw
3. 3-5-2 suits us, with Shaw as the LCB. It gives us more pace in that back three.
4. DDG with his best performance in 18 months. We need his best.
5. End product was lacking with Rashford and Martial. But, it's nice to see Rashford with a confident strike despite his lack of end product in the first 85 minutes. He has real character.

I don't believe we can play this back three consistently in the PL. Where Neymar, Mbappe and DiMaria are not much of an aerial threat, we do need to deal with strikers who are good in the air, and I think that Maguire needs to be part of a back three in that case.

I wasn't optimistic going in to the match, but was delighted with the performance and the result.

PitTon

Pogba played well and did his part defensively.
He did! When he came on, we changed the formation when in possession but when we defended, Pogba played as LWB, he was asked to especially cover that left side, track the PSG right back run. He did well and followed the instructions given to him.

Bernat missed the game and that helped. They mainly attacked from the right and with Bernat, we surely had a harder time.

We have to be better though when we have breakaways. Some decisions was hard to explain. It seems like our players got... excited and make wrong decisions.

I'm curious to see how Ole sets the team up for the next three matches. Some say that 352/532 is used to play defensively and counter attack against big teams, but the formation can be effectively offensive while providing safety at the back that we need atm.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Seems the ratings of Martial and Rashford has been mixed up...

Rashford was looking like he had lost all talent or at least caught a very bad case of Covid-19 just in time for the game. It truly is one of the worst performances I have ever seen up until the 85th minute. How on earth has he ended up with a 7.6 rating? Because he scored a winner? He probably should've scored three more before that.

And Martial, our star in the attack, who did not have his best game, yet outclassed PSG's defense. He got us a pen and was a real danger throughout the entire game. He got unlucky with the own-goal and it shouldn't affect his rating that much.

I have to admit, when I saw the starting eleven for this game I just laughed and thought that this would be Ole's last game. Fred and McTominay starting ahead of Van de Beek, Rashford playing on the right and Tuanzebe getting his first start and alongside Lindelof out of all people. Then playing Telles and Shaw at the same time seemed absolutely barking but everything just clicked. Not sure how much of the glory Ole deserves but all of these players who have been severely underperforming in the PL went out there and put in one of the most professional performances since the Fergie days. Sure, this PSG side was pretty poor but the way we have been performing this season I thought they would steamroll right over us. And while they had a bunch of injuries they still had their world-class front three. Not to mention that our biggest stars and contributors, Rashford and Fernandes, weren't playing at their best. The rest really showed us why they're players at this club in the first place.

Anyway here are my ratings from this terrific game:

De Gea - 8/10 - Old Dave is back. Another class performance.

Wan-Bissaka - 9/10 - He had some trouble getting past the PSG defense but other than that world class performance.
Tuanzebe - 9/10 - Oh, how we've waited for this. How we began to give up. Yet here he is. The answer.
Lindelof - 7/10 - Nothing spectacular, but he didn't put a foot wrong. Solid.
Shaw - 7/10 - Kind of the same as Lindelof. Worked surprisingly well alongside Telles.
Telles - 7/10 - Great debut. Those crosses had me licking my lips. Looking forward to see more.

McTominay - 6/10 - Shaky start, and boy did he have his hands full, but he came out on top. Really grew with the task.
Fernandes - 7/10 - Not his best game but he was still the brain behind everything. The heart of the team.
Fred - 9/10 - Didn't put a foot wrong. Won balls, started attacks. Ate up the PSG midfield.

Rashford - 3/10 - Like I said, one of the worst performances I've ever seen. If not for the goal, I'd give him 1/10.
Martial - 6/10 - When Rashford didn't show up, Martial had to do all the offensive work and he did it very well.

- - - - - -

Pogba - 6/10 - Looked really rusty and insecure but really got into it eventually.
Wan Bissaka 8? Not that much better than Fernandes for example

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
With a minute left Pogba was shielding the ball at the corner to eat up time. He tried to play it off the opponent and lost possession for a goal kick. I watched Pogba sprint back to his defensive position.

Pogba played well and did his part defensively. This means a lot and it shows great management by Ole. Pogba is not sulking and has not said anything stupid in the press, he accepted his roles in the past two matches and played well. Hopefully, Pogba realizes he needs to fight for a spot on the field and he will up his game significantly. So far Ole has handled this very well.
Pogba will always be 21 in his innermost soul :/

Real Name

I know that expression is trotted out too often along with United way and whatnot, especially these days when we dream about the time we were top dogs, but my god that was United of old. That was a proper European away night against a great opponent, CL finalist.

We looked like a team which knew what they want to do and how will they do it. We were patient, played our game and stopped PSG in being dangerous. I must admit our performance surprised me. I expected us to be defensive and go for the counter the whole game and we did that most of the 1st half but after we conceded Ole changed tactics and we had a go at them, pinned them back in their box. I would have been distraught if we hadn't won that and was thiking to myself thats too many chances to miss for old football rule to not pop out, if you dont take your chances you get punished at the other end.

Luckily that didnt happen, we thoroughly deserved that win and it will do our lads ton of confidence.

Dave was a DDG of old, made great saves and was on spot when called upon.
Lindelof and Shaw had a good game and what to say about Axel. He played like he played those kind of games for years, mature, confident, brilliant display. I liked his comments after the game too, talked about it like there's nothing to it. :)
Wan Bissaka was monstrous, he had Mbappe and Neymar in his pocket all night long.
Telles, proper debut, he'll be good for us I feel and what about those curved ball. What is that!? Cavani and Maguire and other lads will hopefully feed on those.
Fred and McT were great in protecting the defense and keep the ball playing, those 2 in combination look really good and that's something to build upon definitely.
Bruno just oozes class, his singlehandedly transformed the atmosphere and everything around the club since coming. His confidence is rubbing of other players and see him play is just a wonderful thing to look upon.
Martial was ok, daft own goal but it happens. He'll be better.
Rashford fluffed some good chances or possible passes but never stopped going and made up for everything with the winning goal.
Pogba had a decent cameo, more to come hopefully.

Last edited:
Reactions: jojojo

Player Ratings

7.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 523 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • PSG win
  • Draw

Detailed Results