CL L Champions League Group H

Manchester United 1:3 Paris St Germain

Post-match discussion

Wed, 02 December 2020

Member 113277

How is this on Ole?
Because Martial couldn't finish easy chances?
Or because Fred was sent off for not-a-foul?
Bearing in mind that I've consistently supported Ole and will continue to do so, but am not blind, either

1 - Martial has been on a very poor run of form for the past couple of months, I'm not sure sure he should have been in the team, when Greenwood was on the bench - I'd agree though, that the coach can't be held responsible for a PL striker punting the ball over from close range

2 - Fred should have gone in the first half and it was obvious the PSG players were furious about it - the smart move would have been to pull Fred off and replace him - this isn't hindsight, Chris Sutton made the point on the radio commentary that Ole should change him at halftime, as there would be intense pressure on the referee in the second half

GBBQ

What would people be saying if Ole hooked Fred at HT for Matic, who then got destroyed by PSG, we got overrun in midfield and still lost; or Pogba, who gives away a penalty and we lost.

Management isn't an exact science. All last night proved is that we have very poor squad depth.
Fred was fired up, lucky to be on the pitch and clearly hadn't learnt his lesson after avoiding the red on the VAR check; he had to be subbed, simple as that. We lost any chance of a comeback once he was sent off and will also be without him for the crunch match against RB Leipzig. Terrible management.

ArjenIsM3

Absolutely no one in their right mind would have faulted Ole for subbing of Fred. No one. Subbing a player on a yellow is the most defensible move in football management. Anyone who would have taken issue with it would be a mega idiot.

There was also no reason to believe we would get overrun. He's Fred not Pirlo. The midfield didn't even collapse after he got sent off
Agreed. I said at half time he should have brought on VDB for Fred for this reason.

Member 113277

Absolutely no one in their right mind would have faulted Ole for subbing of Fred. No one. Subbing a player on a yellow is the most defensible move in football management. Anyone who would have taken issue with it would be a mega idiot.

There was also no reason to believe we would get overrun. He's Fred not Pirlo. The midfield didn't even collapse after he got sent off
Well said - and it wasn't a common or garden yellow, it would normally have been a red for violent conduct, e.g. Pepe v Leeds and wound up the opposition, who would then try to get Fred sent off.

hubbuh

Everything I've been warning about for two years seen in 90 minutes yesterday:

A) we have two "strikers" who miss far too many chances and who won't score enough goals to make us challengers for anything;

B) DDG is not the keeper he was a few years ago and makes too many mistakes (while not pulling off game-changing saves), goes too often with his feet and is not brave enough;

C) Ole knows sod all about the club's DNA if he thinks we should play without wingers and he just doesn't have the nous or experience to be proactive - he is simply not good enough for United.

As for the game itself, I predicted a 2-0 loss and with the start we made I guess it's lucky we weren't four down before rashford's shot took a lucky deflection. What's sad is, that, despite, all their big names, PSG can be taken - they aren't that good but we produced yet another awful Old Trafford performance. Some people are saying having fans in the stadium will help - many would have walked out id disgust at most of our home performances this season.

None of this will change until the board find their balls, admit they have made another mistake and let Ole go - it's becoming very clear that top young players don't want to play for us right now. Felt so sorry for Cavani - lots of good movement and no one able to pick him out.

The club I love is breaking my heart
I don't disagree with a few of your points but we were the better team overall. Lucky we weren't down by 4 at halftime? Which chances are you talking about? We had the better chances of the game and PSG will be thanking their lucky stars they went away with a win.

Gabagoo

I'm actually happy that we lost and capitulated. Maybe it will give us the kick up the arse we've needed for the league.

matt23

PSG are a tough watch, the epitome of everything that's embarrassing about modern football.

Ref more interested in getting Neymar's autograph than booking the clown.

Joseunited

Bruno screaming at Ole to make changes reminded me of that game years back when Stevie Me was reacting to Torres being subbed off by Benitez; struck me as a moment of loss of faith.
Wherewas that reported that Bruno was telling Ole to make changes?

Litch

Really enjoyed the game up until their second. On reflection, we played some really nice football at times and the crossbar stopped what could have been a contender for goal of the season. Yes they had chances but what game of football doesn't especially with two genuine world class talents up front?
Fred should have been sent off but how many games of football do we say that was a straight red and they get a booking?

For me, the missed chances cost us more than Fred's red, happened before it, as we could have been at least 3-1 up and they would have to chase the game, leaving them open. Martial, Rashford and Greenwood are missing chances, they would have scored last season.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
He is better on the right than on the left on current form. Scored one goal and should've had one assist (Martial). He is also less predictable (on the left ne never seems natural, always needs to come inside).
Last season he was phenomenal on the right, especially pre injury. This season he has been doing well, but not his peak level. Maybe he's carrying some injury or maybe hasn't found his full confidence and form yet, as he appears unwilling unable to take on players.

Yesterday he to cut in and made a weak shot on target, luckily scored a deflected goal, should have had an assist, but was also dispossessed a number of times far too easily. I don't think he's comfortable on the right, and further I don't think he should be shunted to accommodate Martial, who is in poor form himself. We should keep him on the left and for the right bring in Greenwood if we need someone who can dribble or James if we need pace and crossing.

Edit: regarding being unnatural on the left and coming in, I think that's the whole point, he's a forward rather than a winger. He'll cut in and shoot with his dominant foot, while on the left he's more likely to go outside or shoot with the weaker foot.

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Specially in the case of a player who is rash and who was in heated moments after his first yellow card. Whatever bad would happen after his sub would not be related to the wise decision to sub him

Litch

On reflection, I thought DDG made Neymar decision for him and was so worried about be beaten on his near post, over compensated for it. His body position was odd.....

Chuck_B

I think we have to start thinking about selling Martial. 5th season? how many more does he need
Agreed. We actually played well last night but Martial couldn't finish his dinner atm. I feel we talk more about his poor attitude, work rate, and inconsistency, rather than some of the brilliant things he can do, which speaks volumes of the type of player he is. Not my cup of tea anyway - transfer list!

Eurotrash

I thought we played well, where the better team and where unlucky to lose. I really don't understand why Ole waited until 74th minute for the first sub. I thought Fred would be subbed at half time (and should have been).

When we are playing well but not leading, I think Ole is reluctant to make changes. But subbing Fred should have been a no-brainer.

Parma Dewol

Really enjoyed the game up until their second. On reflection, we played some really nice football at times and the crossbar stopped what could have been a contender for goal of the season. Yes they had chances but what game of football doesn't especially with two genuine world class talents up front?
Fred should have been sent off but how many games of football do we say that was a straight red and they get a booking?

For me, the missed chances cost us more than Fred's red, happened before it, as we could have been at least 3-1 up and they would have to chase the game, leaving them open. Martial, Rashford and Greenwood are missing chances, they would have scored last season.
That about sums it up for me too. Being a goal or two up would have been the perfect time to make some changes. Felt we were on top and starting to open them up at will, but those missed chances turned the game. Had to convert one of them, and they really were glaring opportunities. Such a shame Martial isn't his usual ice-cool self. The move for the first chance was so slick, should have buried it. And oh, an inch lower on Cavani's lob and I'd have been replaying it all day today. So close, yet so far.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
We have a yo-yo team and a yo-yo manager.

UmbroDays

Bruno screaming at Ole to make changes reminded me of that game years back when Stevie Me was reacting to Torres being subbed off by Benitez; struck me as a moment of loss of faith.
It was overstated and the Twitter GIF didn’t have the context that Rashford was waving to be subbed because he was injured.

People thought Bruno was asking for tactical subs.

wattsy7

It’s just a video going around, its Bruno telling the bench that Rashford is injured, nothing like the ole outers are claiming.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
What would people be saying if Ole hooked Fred at HT for Matic, who then got destroyed by PSG, we got overrun in midfield and still lost; or Pogba, who gives away a penalty and we lost.

Management isn't an exact science. All last night proved is that we have very poor squad depth.
Or imagine if Fred was hooked off and the replacement (Matic or VDB) scored the winner or got an assist? Like you said it's not an exact science. Ole (and I say this as a big fan) took a risk and it backfired. No need to pretend otherwise.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Right so I've slept on this. Woke up feeling pretty sombre over the result, but there are a lot of positives here to take with us to the Leipzig game.

The first 20 minutes very kinda skittish. Mbappe in particular was a very big threat with that ridiculous pace, and for a while there I thought this was going to be a very long night. PSG get's a goal folllowing a lucky bounce, but can't really complain about that.

The 1-1 goal was deserves, the rest of the period was very comfortable for the team, we controlled possession and PSG never got close to anything much after their goal. It's ironic that we have some fans calling our goal a lucky deflection when PSG's 2 first goals came as a result from lucky deflections.

Second half up until their goal was such a fun period of Manchester United football. Perhaps the most fun minutes of the season bar the clobbering of Leipzig at home.

A team can only be asked to realisticly produce so many chances to score a goal per game. That reasonable factor diminishes the greater your opponent are. Some fans on here suggesting PSG is a weak team.. well. ok then. You're full of shit and you know it.

We produced more than enough chances to put this game in the bag. The players performed SO well. Missing chances like that at this level is not something you can do and get away with it. Martial owes this team a champions league point.

Going down 2-1 was yet another freak incident goal where the ball eventually landed on a PSG foot by chance. It's the worst I've felt about a game for a long time. Completely against play and probably the least deserved goal of hte CL campaign.

I would have taken Fred off. There's no discussing that. But I *get it*. We were playing too well to take anyone off. Imagine being in the middle of that partyfootball 20 minutes and you take a player off in the middle of it? No. The time to take Fred off was at 45 minutes. Subbing people on at 60 minutes would interrupt the good period of football, and you know this.

Up until the 69th minute, the game execution from the players was a solid 8 or 9 for me. We are SO dangerous when we're coming at pace. You can't do more than deliver a final ball on a foot that should score a goal. Failing that is not down to tactics, gameplan or anything. Its a big, personal mistake. We had several of those.

Even with 10 men the team took the match to PSG and still they remain lucky we do not score that 2-2 goal. The 1-3 goal at the end was a shitty moment that ultimately won't matter with regards to progressing from the group, it was 2-2 or nothing.

Leaving Fred on was a huge risk that, on a normal day from Martial, Bruno or Cavani would have paid off. But hindsight doesn't get you points, so here we are.

It's easy to be wise with facts in hand, and facts in hand say we should have taken Fred off. The game result would have been different. Mind you we could still very well have lost, or won, no one can know that and that is the point of hindsight being so easy to use in an argument.

A frequent comment I see is "I don't mind that we lose on occasion if we play well". Well, we played very well. We played very well against one of the great teams in football and can reasonably say that we should have won this.

And that makes a loss much harder to swallow rather than being outmatched. This team can beat absolutely anyone and I'm very optimistic for the Leipzig game.

It's my opinion that the players can walk away from this game with heads raised high, I'm happy with how they played. The result was bad but the performance was very good. It was just not meant to be on this day.

OJKernow

The red card is of course on Fred, not Ole, should have been shown a straight red in the first half, and was playing way to reckless going to ground for someone on a yellow ... However, it is massively naïve from the manager not to bring him off at half time.

Missing golden chances at 1-1 is what really cost us, despite the start it felt like we were the better side for big chunks of that game, and despite Martial missing that sitter, our front three looked very promising with Cavani leading the line, but that's life on the biggest stage in the CL.

On to the next one, our destiny is still in our own hands going into the final matchday, which when the draw was made, most would have taken!

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Last season he was phenomenal on the right, especially pre injury. This season he has been doing well, but not his peak level. Maybe he's carrying some injury or maybe hasn't found his full confidence and form yet, as he appears unwilling unable to take on players.

Yesterday he to cut in and made a weak shot on target, luckily scored a deflected goal, should have had an assist, but was also dispossessed a number of times far too easily. I don't think he's comfortable on the right, and further I don't think he should be shunted to accommodate Martial, who is in poor form himself. We should keep him on the left and for the right bring in Greenwood if we need someone who can dribble or James if we need pace and crossing.

Edit: regarding being unnatural on the left and coming in, I think that's the whole point, he's a forward rather than a winger. He'll cut in and shoot with his dominant foot, while on the left he's more likely to go outside or shoot with the weaker foot.
To me he doesn't look natural in any position. There is something wrong with him this season.
Anyway, before this game I thought we should play Martial from the left because he's more dangerous there, and Rash does ok job on the right. But I don't know anymore, it'd be great to drop them both.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Still disappointed but we go again! All still in our hands and these high stake games haven’t come too often for us in the last few years so will take it.
We could have been 3-0 down yesterday after 15 minutes. Then after we equalised we could have been 4-1 up. All in all we played OK.
We have to work on our ball retention and chance conversion. You can’t keep giving the ball away against a team which has Neymar and Mbappe. And if you don’t take your chances in such games you will get punished.

SuperiorXI

No but you also have to think of why he was kept on. It's risk vs reward and in this case it backfired... he was actually unlucky with the second yellow, it's never a yellow. So really it should have paid off.

Don't think we would have got overrun but the effectiveness of the team would have been curbed and I doubt we would have seen the chances created we did.

adityaspatil

Utd were very good yesterday. Overall play was fluid. We created 4 big chances, should have scored atleast 2 goals. Martial's was a sitter.
I am loving seeing this team play. It gives me Fergie era feeling about this Ole team.
We will go to germany & get the job done the Utd way. I am very confident.
I am certainly growing in confidence watching us play.
Overall unlucky result but a good feeling in general.

rotherham_red

The performance was good. The result, poor.

Ole deserves blame for the Fred situation (even though I don't actually think it cost us too much in terms of our rhythm), but the forwards should have had us out of sight by the 60th minute.

It was a bad day at the office for our forward line, but the positive is that the equation hasn't changed and if we play that way against Leipzig next week, I'd back us to get the draw we need at the very least.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Right so I've slept on this. Woke up feeling pretty sombre over the result, but there are a lot of positives here to take with us to the Leipzig game.

The first 20 minutes very kinda skittish. Mbappe in particular was a very big threat with that ridiculous pace, and for a while there I thought this was going to be a very long night. PSG get's a goal folllowing a lucky bounce, but can't really complain about that.

The 1-1 goal was deserves, the rest of the period was very comfortable for the team, we controlled possession and PSG never got close to anything much after their goal. It's ironic that we have some fans calling our goal a lucky deflection when PSG's 2 first goals came as a result from lucky deflections.

Second half up until their goal was such a fun period of Manchester United football. Perhaps the most fun minutes of the season bar the clobbering of Leipzig at home.

A team can only be asked to realisticly produce so many chances to score a goal per game. That reasonable factor diminishes the greater your opponent are. Some fans on here suggesting PSG is a weak team.. well. ok then. You're full of shit and you know it.

We produced more than enough chances to put this game in the bag. The players performed SO well. Missing chances like that at this level is not something you can do and get away with it. Martial owes this team a champions league point.

Going down 2-1 was yet another freak incident goal where the ball eventually landed on a PSG foot by chance. It's the worst I've felt about a game for a long time. Completely against play and probably the least deserved goal of hte CL campaign.

I would have taken Fred off. There's no discussing that. But I *get it*. We were playing too well to take anyone off. Imagine being in the middle of that partyfootball 20 minutes and you take a player off in the middle of it? No. The time to take Fred off was at 45 minutes. Subbing people on at 60 minutes would interrupt the good period of football, and you know this.

Up until the 69th minute, the game execution from the players was a solid 8 or 9 for me. We are SO dangerous when we're coming at pace. You can't do more than deliver a final ball on a foot that should score a goal. Failing that is not down to tactics, gameplan or anything. Its a big, personal mistake. We had several of those.

Even with 10 men the team took the match to PSG and still they remain lucky we do not score that 2-2 goal. The 1-3 goal at the end was a shitty moment that ultimately won't matter with regards to progressing from the group, it was 2-2 or nothing.

Leaving Fred on was a huge risk that, on a normal day from Martial, Bruno or Cavani would have paid off. But hindsight doesn't get you points, so here we are.

It's easy to be wise with facts in hand, and facts in hand say we should have taken Fred off. The game result would have been different. Mind you we could still very well have lost, or won, no one can know that and that is the point of hindsight being so easy to use in an argument.

A frequent comment I see is "I don't mind that we lose on occasion if we play well". Well, we played very well. We played very well against one of the great teams in football and can reasonably say that we should have won this.

And that makes a loss much harder to swallow rather than being outmatched. This team can beat absolutely anyone and I'm very optimistic for the Leipzig game.

It's my opinion that the players can walk away from this game with heads raised high, I'm happy with how they played. The result was bad but the performance was very good. It was just not meant to be on this day.
Excellent post. I highlighted the most important points. We did enough to put this into bed in the first 20mins of second half, but we really couldn't finish those chances.

One thing about Fred is I thought Ole didn't make that change half time because he trusted Fred can play on the "safe side" and then sub him or, I may even suggest Ole wanted Fred to get 2nd yellow in the latter stages of the game if result stands. This would mean he misses not-so-important game vs RB as we would go through anyway.
This plan would've worked perfectly if Martial scored any of his two big chances, or PSG didn't get a lucky goal (there were 3 lucky goals yesterday). And we would be talking about Ole's masterplan.

FiftChoice

I don’t post a lot on this forum, but since there’s so much negativity going around I just wanted to say I’m 100% with you on this take.

We started off slow, got punished, turned it around and was the best team on the pitch basically the rest of the match.

When Fred got sent off I was very close to just turning off, but I didn’t, and I was pleasantly surprised to se us have a go.

The goal at the end doesnt matter and does not reflect anything on the match. We had to throw the kitchen sink, and against PSG that is close to suicide. Nearly payed off though.

so yeah, I agree with you.

Also, I do agree with everyone that Fred should have been subbed. He’s just that kind of player, you know it’s gonna happen.

Anyway, we could have (should have) been comfortable in that moment after our chances. So I feel good about the way we played, but really really disappointed with the result.

I also think a lot of people on here let their emotions run to much of their talking. I get people are frustrated but I don’t think Ole did much wrong in this game. Not with the lineup, not with the setup, evidently we managed to turn things around, which is good. We just didn’t manage to score and given the way we played and our chances, you can’t put that on the managers head.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We need more technical ability in the team. You can only get so far on “hard work & passion”

Players like McTominay have no business starting in the middle for the biggest club in the world. It’s all academy sentiment & passion merchants. Get some quality in there where it matters. You can’t go up against Verrati with McTominay & Fred, it’s a mismatch, we’ve got a West Ham level midfield in there.

Pogba or Van de Beek need to play.

Last edited:

Greck

No but you also have to think of why he was kept on. It's risk vs reward and in this case it backfired... he was actually unlucky with the second yellow, it's never a yellow. So really it should have paid off.

Don't think we would have got overrun but the effectiveness of the team would have been curbed and I doubt we would have seen the chances created we did.
Good thing you brought up the risk-reward. For me the risk was so far disproportionate to the reward it was an easy choice. Especially as we already had the result we needed. The risk was having him sent off, losing the match, having him suspended for the final game and further jeopardising our CL qualification. At 1-1 keeping the player on was the monumentally greater risk than taking him off, imo of course. The gameplan can survive a substitution but not a sending off

Last edited:

SuperiorXI

Good thing you brought up the risk-reward. For me the risk was so far disproportionate to the reward it was an easy choice. Especially as we already had the result we needed. The risk was having him sent off, losing the match,having him suspended for the final game and further jeopardising our CL qualification odds and thus the entire campaign. At 1-1 keeping the player on was the monumentally greater risk than taking him off, imo of course
Yeah I'm not saying that you're wrong for saying he should have been brought off... this is exactly how I felt at half time too. I wanted him to come off. But I understand there's reasons other than naivety and shiteness why he was kept on. No point looking at things with tunnel vision and concluding Ole doesn't know jack shit because he didn't make the obvious move. He must have felt the benefits to having Fred on outweighed the risk.

He was unlucky not to have won the game with all the chances... on another day it's a great decision.

Players have been carded early in games before and have been able to see it out.

UpWithRivers

Champions league is brutal and we should always go with a back 5, then change things if needed in the second half. However we didnt have any fit CB's so it was somewhat a forced team.

I dont get the negativity around the Caf. I thought we played really well. PSG got two lucky goals and the third was just because we had 10 men and pushed everyone up. Yeah Martial missed some sitters and Bruno wasnt the best and on and on. But we went toe to toe with Champions league finalists and in my opinion we didnt deserve to loose.

In hindsight I would have brought off Fred and Bruno and brought Matic and Pogba/VDB on around to 70 minute mark. But overall I dont see the negativity in the performance. Its not like when we get beaten by Newcastle or get battered by Brighton.

SuperiorXI

Champions league is brutal and we should always go with a back 5, then change things if needed in the second half. However we didnt have any fit CB's so it was somewhat a forced team.

I dont get the negativity around the Caf. I thought we played really well. PSG got two lucky goals and the third was just because we had 10 men and pushed everyone up. Yeah Martial missed some sitters and Bruno wasnt the best and on and on. But we went toe to toe with Champions league finalists and in my opinion we didnt deserve to loose.

In hindsight I would have brought off Fred and Bruno and brought Matic and Pogba/VDB on around to 70 minute mark. But overall I dont see the negativity in the performance. Its not like when we get beaten by Newcastle or get battered by Brighton.
I'm perplexed by it too mate, I felt annoyed after the result but with perspective you can see lots of positives. After sleeping on it I feel even better about it, it was a good step forward.

We went toe to toe with them and looked like the better team, on another day we win that match.

Stacks

I'm not actually upset. I feel we had the beating of one of the premier teams in the competition and a few miss chances away from a win. Fred was unlucky although he was a bit wreckless and I don't like when a player's 2nd touch is a tackle. He should play beach football to get his touch right. Defence was decent and we looked better than them for periods.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yeah I'm not saying that you're wrong for saying he should have been brought off... this is exactly how I felt at half time too. I wanted him to come off. But I understand there's reasons other than naivety and shiteness why he was kept on. No point looking at things with tunnel vision and concluding Ole doesn't know jack shit because he didn't make the obvious move. He must have felt the benefits to having Fred on outweighed the risk.

He was unlucky not to have won the game with all the chances... on another day it's a great decision.

Players have been carded early in games before and have been able to see it out.
They aren't playing the disgusting cheating, whining team that is PSG though. If Slytherin had a football team it would be them.

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 253 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • PSG win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Man Utd 1:1 PSG
  • 21% Man Utd 2:1 PSG