CL L Champions League Group H

Manchester United 1:3 Paris St Germain

Post-match discussion

Wed, 02 December 2020

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Because Fred was a walking red card. Everyone knew that. I spoke about that with a friend at half time ffs, it was so obvious for most of us.
Yet he was sent off for a foul that was ok tackle wasn't he? Or at least from what I've seen of the season replays.

Anyway, should've changed formation imo, we had 5 subs.

wolvored

Pros. Our team is actually very good. Despite being set up to counter, despite there being no connection between Bruno and a CM behind him, we actually played well due to our individual talent. I can only dream of what we’ll do when
1) Ole develops a proper system/style of play
2) Ole realises we have the players to dominate most matches and don’t have to play a low block vs PSG with two holding CM’s
When will he realise that though? 2 years on and were still at the same level/coaching/tactics whatever you want to call it. He made a great signing in Bruno, which helped him out immensely, but that was a panic buy at a bad time, as he didnt want him in the summer.

littleman

Ole admits he maybe should have taken Fred off, but he tought he was good and important and took a risk. Honest and fair, and makes complete sense.
..? Game management is also about risk management

He failed

Let's be clear, Ole isn't failing ALL THE TIME on game management, but he's failing quite often and he's certainly not at an elite level

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I think I watched a different game to everybody else.
I think PSG played decent (not great), but definitely played better than us.
Fred should've been sent off in the first half, but got sent off in the second half, instead.
PSG hit the cross bar, so did we.
Martial missed a goal scoring opportunity, but so did PSG.
I think the 3-1 scoreline is fair.

The problem we have is that in every match we seem to have to play 2 x DMs to protect our 2 x CBs. And we then are forced to rely on hitting teams on the counter attack, because we defensively focused.

In any case, its Ole's job to sort this out, but I doubt he can.

RedDevil@84

Diving every game for 90 minutes is also ridiculous! Football will be a better sport without divers like him.
That is no excuse to wish injuries on players.
And stop acting like he is the only one diving. Half of the footballing world take an easy fall. CR7 has done that for years and years. Half of Pep's best ever Barca team were diving c**ts when they were winning league and CL.

NJM78

At the end of the day we lose next week we are in the Europa. That will be hugely disappointing and kind of embarrassing to not even get past the group stage. Tonight is done and the frequent failures we have these days I'm kind of getting numb to it all and I'm certain we won't be winning anything anyway so why stress.

RedTiger

Half mast
I think I watched a different game to everybody else.
I think PSG played decent (not great), but definitely played better than us.
Fred should've been sent off in the first half, but got sent off in the second half, instead.
PSG hit the cross bar, so did we.
Martial missed a goal scoring opportunity, but so did PSG.
I think the 3-1 scoreline is fair.

The problem we have is that in every match we seem to have to play 2 x DMs to protect our 2 x CBs. And we then are forced to rely on hitting teams on the counter attack, because we defensively focused.

In any case, its Ole's job to sort this out, but I doubt he can.
Everything would work out if we just had a proper world class DM. Thats all we flipping need mate.

MrSingh2002

I can't shake out the image of Ole doing the 100 point turn in the cart. He has way too many amateur moments. Today was one of the worst for sure.

Could've easily got a win or atleast draw out that game and gone through.

NJM78

My opinion as a semi-professional athlete that knows when fatigue sets in. I AM just guessing, but he wasnt taken off because he was playing poorly was he
That's what is worrying for me as I don't trust Ole to make the best decisions and Cavani certainly did not look tired to me.
So I was kind of hoping Ole had mentioned him being cramped in post game interview as I had switched it off on the final whistle.

Hoof the ball

Martial obviously shouldn't have missed, but I'm gonna say that the square ball by Rashford was really bad. He had Fernandes in the centre, completely free and one on one with the keeper with the defender not close to him. Martial was also free, but the pass to him was soft enough for the defender to rush onto Martial and cause him to snap at the finish.

It was a poor pass to Martial; in reality it should have gone to Fernandes for the short square. It's on Martial in the end but the pass weight didn't help.

bdspeedy

We are a dog shit team and will NEVER win anything as long as Eddie is running the team. Not Ole out yet --what would the point be? -- but he is completely out of his depth. His main attribute is that he offers cover for the board.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
thought Rashford was really good today.
I thought he was a bit off, moments of brilliance but he looked hesitant and held his shoulder from that very first run when I thought he could run towards goal but he slowed and pulled wide

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
We are a dog shit team and will NEVER win anything as long as Eddie is running the team. Not Ole out yet --what would the point be? -- but he is completely out of his depth. His main attribute is that he offers cover for the board.
You saw that game and think we played dogshit? bruh...

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
The most infuriating loss in quite a while for me.

We had that game in the palm of our hand in the second half. It was only a matter of time before we finished them on the counter.

Then Martial and Fred happened.

SCJY

I felt good about the starting lineup. The old reliable McFred started, but for me, that DM pairing is basically just setting us up to not lose. They have far too little creativity and McT is too easily turned and beaten.

Ole was poor not bringing subs on earlier.

VdB should really have started for me. It's mad that we have Pogba and VdB on the bench and McT gets on ahead of them without a substitution in sight. McT hasn't even played in close to a month. Oh well, let's hope we can grind out a win against Leipzig.

Dominos

The frustrating thing to think about for me is would any of our rivals have found a way to lose that game in the same circumstances?

1. Likely none of their players would have been stupid enough to headbutt a player
2. Their manager would have the sense to sub a player who was so so close to a red.
3. They would have finished some of the gazillion chances that were created, and even some of the situations which didn't manifest as chances because we messed them up so bad. Fernandes being through on goal at the end of the first half and passing it to no one being a great example.

Our team are just a bunch of absolute bottlers. Istanbul away just go and win it. Tonight, just finish your fecking chances. Pathetic.

Asger

Inappropriate Content
That is no excuse to wish injuries on players.
And stop acting like he is the only one diving. Half of the footballing world take an easy fall. CR7 has done that for years and years. Half of Pep's best ever Barca team were diving c**ts when they were winning league and CL.
I know a lot of other dives as well, but he has proved once again that he is the worst of all. Its strange that Neymar and other divers are more pussies than Womens football players.

Dominos

I felt good about the starting lineup. The old reliable McFred started, but for me, that DM pairing is basically just setting us up to not lose. They have far too little creativity and McT is too easily turned and beaten.

Ole was poor not bringing subs on earlier.

VdB should really have started for me. It's mad that we have Pogba and VdB on the bench and McT gets on ahead of them without a substitution in sight. McT hasn't even played in close to a month. Oh well, let's hope we can grind out a win against Leipzig.
That's a baffling opinion given we created so many chances, creativity was hardly the problem.

The 3 factors in somehow losing that game is Fred being an idiot, Ole being an idiot not subbing him, and the fact our forwards can't finish their dinner.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Yet he was sent off for a foul that was ok tackle wasn't he? Or at least from what I've seen of the season replays.

Anyway, should've changed formation imo, we had 5 subs.
There was nothing wrong with Fred's (2nd yellow) tackle.
The issue I think was that the referee knew he messed up by not sending Fred off in the first half, so the first opportunity the referee got, he gave him a 2nd yellow.

Last edited:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
We should’ve won this group with games to spare, now we’re playing a cup final just for the chance to go through as runners up.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
We actually played well after Fred nearly got sent off. Even when second went in you’d think we still could knick a draw. Although the spell leading up to the second goal - you could sense PSG would potentially score.

Downfall came from leaving Fred on and the crap subs he made after. Took off Cavani and went long ball? Went back 3 so late when another goal conceded basically ruled out top spot. Leaving Rashford on for so long when in clear discomfort.

Oles game management is a disgrace in all honesty. Once Plan A slips away, he screws himself over more often than not.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
That's a baffling opinion given we created so many chances, creativity was hardly the problem.

The 3 factors in somehow losing that game is Fred being an idiot, Ole being an idiot not subbing him, and the fact our forwards can't finish their dinner.
Agree with all that

Giggzy P

We were terrible first Half, found myself asking the question, what is our identity as a team. We really have none, except being amazing on the counter, we pretty much average.
The Second Half, we dominated (Cavani is class), we really do have brilliant players, unfortunately, the manager is just not capable of putting the pieces together.
Today also showed a level of inexcusable naivete from Ole, keeping Fred on for the second half, which i think was down to Ole's mentality of if we not losing, all is fine. Our mentality is trying not to lose under him.

We should have won the Game though

patch1

Shocking finishing,shocking decision making by ole.Fred should been off at half time..You cannot keep getting these decisions wrong.It‘s gone from almost certain qualification to now having to get a point in very difficult last game.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Jesus the over reaction on here is mental. Ole probably should have taken Fred off, but he got sent off for a completely legit tackle? Ultimately we got punished for not finishing our chances. It was a tight game and they're a good team. I hardly think an enquiry is necessary.

3 points out of 6 against PSG at the start of the season, I would have snapped your hand off. Now all we have to do is not lose to a team we've already thumped 5-0. I'm confident.

oz insomniac

Bigger issues around Ole
1. The obsession with playing Martialin front of DVB and even Greenwood
2. Failure to adjust to the game , Fred should have without doubt been subbed at half time, we all know the intent of PSG when tackled by a player with a yellow card
3. why take off our only player capable of heading crosses and playing as a target man.
4. DeGea was on one leg, why take the risk
5. Still unsure about style of play, and more importantly who can ensure Martial is mobile and can actually score, who runs the field sessions?
6. Ole is a legend as a player but is continually out thought and out coached, more obvious in games like tonight.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
We were terrible first Half, found myself asking the question, what is our identity as a team. We really have none, except being amazing on the counter, we pretty much average.
The Second Half, we dominated (Cavani is class), we really do have brilliant players, unfortunately, the manager is just not capable of putting the pieces together.
Today also showed a level of inexcusable naivete from Ole, keeping Fred on for the second half, which i think was down to Ole's mentality of if we not losing, all is fine. Our mentality is trying not to lose under him.

We should have won the Game though
Yeah once again our best chances came on the counter. When PSG sat in we were playing the zombie sideways football again. We exploited their left whilst Neymar was told to stay forward in the 2nd half but Tuchel sorted it with his subs. After that we didn't really look threatening and went long ball more toward the end.

Our squad is a hell of a lot stronger these days. Our bench is ridiculous and features players that would start for other top teams. The expectations for this team now have to be raised, because there's no excuses anymore. That's why it bugs me to hear people talk about finishing top 4 being the goal. The football needs to be better too. And our defence is shipping goals even after over £150m spent and placing 2 DMs in front of them, to the detriment of our attack. Ironically, the type of thing Jose would do and people took issue with, claiming Ole would change all that. We're still defensively focused for the most part these days.

theklr

Good performance.

Lack of precision and unlucky second goal. Martial needs to sharpen up real soon.

Fred was a calculated risk that went bad.

People tend to forget what team we were playing. When you miss your chances against last year finalists you tend to get punished.

Crashoutcassius

When there is a lack of a presence on the touchline those misses, that happen to every side and every player, can be killers. We conceded the second goal because we completely lost our shape after Cavani hit the bar, and that's a lack of leadership coming from the touchline.
What are you on about mate haha

The Purley King

Jesus the over reaction on here is mental. Ole probably should have taken Fred off, but he got sent off for a completely legit tackle? Ultimately we got punished for not finishing our chances. It was a tight game and they're a good team. I hardly think an enquiry is necessary.

3 points out of 6 against PSG at the start of the season, I would have snapped your hand off. Now all we have to do is not lose to a team we've already thumped 5-0. I'm confident.
“Probably” should have taken Fred off?
feck a goat it was so obvious the ref would try to make up for his shocking 1st half decision. Don’t give him the chance. Anyone with half a brain could work that one out.
Yes we were generally the better team but I’m increasingly coming to the opinion that we should get rid of martial. CavanI is what a proper no9 looks like. He’s 33 and he probably ran twice as far as martial today.

tjb

Like Rio and Scholes said, he was unplayable at times.
From the right side too, which is really good for us. At this point, I would rather start the rotation of Greenwood up front than stick with Martial or Rashford. We know he's our future no.9 and we will need him to be ready when Cavani goes.
Greenwood already has really good touches on the ball, good balance, control and decent pace. He has go to moves too. He simply needs to learn to use his head more and movements that both link and anticipate goals. In two years, that is a small amount of things to learn and due to his steady and consistent improvements in his game, I think it will happen.

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 253 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • PSG win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Man Utd 1:1 PSG
  • 21% Man Utd 2:1 PSG