EL W Europa League Group L

Manchester United 3:0 Partizan

Post-match discussion

Thu, 07 November 2019

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Rashford was the star of the show imo. He missed lots of chances but he also created a lot. His assist for the first one was world class or lucky. I'm not sure he meant the ball to go the way it did. Also I was surprised he didn't take any of the 2 freekicks.

Martial scored a brilliant goal, pure instinct. World class goal
I think it was luck. I think he miss hit it and it turned out to be a great pass to Greenwood.

Tosic looks like he could start for us which is pretty weird.

I'm excited to see Brandon Williams play over the weekend.

Andreas again looked bad. From now on I'm pretty sure that when he plays it's only because Ole has no other options. We need Pogba back and a good midfielder in the transfer window.

Where is Greenwood's best position? Striker or Winger? If we play a front three I would like to see James, Martial and Greenwood at some point.

Good win and that's three good results out of 4. Maybe....

nainaisson

What good quality on the ball did Mata show?
You and I must have watched different games. Mata was essential for the pretty link up play in the final third, something we've missed for a while. We actually looked like we could break teams down for the first time in a long time. If you think we'd have looked as good with Lingard or Pereira as No.10, I strongly disagree.

BigLebowski007

It was a good performance from all players. However there were still some missed chances and terrible mistakes at the back. We would have been punished against stronger opponents.
I think Rojo has put in a serie of good performances. Hope he keeps it up.

Jeffthered

First half was a nice watch. Second half was back to the usual. Partizan really weren’t great let’s be fair. This was not some European giant playing tonight. They were actually worse than Astana which is quite something.

It’s paper over cracks. Has to do it on the weekend though against a much better opponent.
This. Let's see how we fair against Premiership quality... surely that has to be our benchmark of our progress. Always good to see United forwards score, but I'm sure they do not wish to be judged against their performances against some of these Europa teams (who are really quite poor...)

Gator Nate

What are the odds that ole manages to nick the europa league ?
The good: We're the only team in the EL that has not conceded a goal.

The bad: We're in the bottom three of the EL group leaders in goals scored (5). The other two have not yet secured advancement.

The ugly: Right now, it looks like both RB Salzburg and Inter Milan are parachuting down from CL. Valencia, Ajax, and Chelsea are all tied in their group on 7 points.

Craig Ward

You and I must have watched different games. Mata was essential for the pretty link up play in the final third, something we've missed for a while. We actually looked like we could break teams down for the first time in a long time. If you think we'd have looked as good with Lingard or Pereira as No.10, I strongly disagree.
We do strongly disagree on Mata's performance.

He was sloppy and off pace for the majority and hardly involved.

Lingard was just as bad, Pereira likewise. I'm not saying we'd be better playing Lingard as you suggest, My point is Mata had a poor game, simple really

Vida_15

Hard to judge off this one apart from Greenwood showing he can more than handle this level for me. Partizan were poor, really poor.

reddevil80

sure someone has mentioned this too but the atmosphere sounded amazing, well done the singers. Performance induced a great atmosphere, atmosphere induced a great (1st half anyway) performance.

Different note, why the hate for Mata? From what I saw, he was quite essential in our attack with his lovely close control in tight spaces and clever passes.

Maticmaker

Good game, three good goals, a clean sheet, three points and qualification, can't be bad. Didn't really see anything I would not have expected to see, except perhaps once again Mason Greenwood with the positions he takes up especially in and around the box belies his age, if he is this aware at 17/18 what will he be in a few years time.

Devil may care

Didn't get a chance to post last night and haven't read all the replies, but I personally enjoyed the game and right now I'll take that. It's not often we come out of a game saying "We should have scored 6 or 7" these days as we rarely create enough chances, so Martial and Rashford missing a couple each isn't that big of a deal as at least we created the chances.

Overall we were very exciting in the first half, Rashford and Martial are showing chemistry and all 3 forwards took their goals really well. I fully get why many aren't buying in until we do this in a few PL games, but I'll take the smidgen of hope for now because as Scholes said it doesn't matter that they were poor opposition as we've struggled over and over against poor teams.

DSG

It’s like Partizan did zero scouting before the match. Played an high line against two of the fastest strikers in world football. Bizarre tactics. Anybody who has watched us would know you play a deep 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 against us and hit us on the break.

Rashford was excellent about getting into positions, but really should have had at least two more goals. Martial was wonderful when dropping deep and his hold up play.

A sad commentary on the state of the Caf when we win 3-0 in a rout and we only have 4 pages in the post match thread. When we draw or lose it’s 12 to 15 pages long with endless debate about Ole. Sigh.

DSG

I should add that Greenwood really contributed in addition to his goal. He was a lot more involved than in past games.

Garner looks like his technique is excellent and he is quite quick in closing down on defence. Really needs to settle down and work on his ball distribution. He tried a few passes that probably come off in the youth team but were never going to fly at this level and certainly not at the PL level.

Thiagoal

sure someone has mentioned this too but the atmosphere sounded amazing, well done the singers. Performance induced a great atmosphere, atmosphere induced a great (1st half anyway) performance.

Different note, why the hate for Mata? From what I saw, he was quite essential in our attack with his lovely close control in tight spaces and clever passes.
Mata had a great game in the 10 position! It seems some people have it in their head that he’s crap and no matter how well he performs will slag him off!

Don’t get me wrong he’s put in some abysmal performances recently too but played very well last night

DSG

We do strongly disagree on Mata's performance.

He was sloppy and off pace for the majority and hardly involved.

Lingard was just as bad, Pereira likewise. I'm not saying we'd be better playing Lingard as you suggest, My point is Mata had a poor game, simple really
I agree with both of you, weirdly. Mata did have some nice movement and passing play in this match. However, he is a shadow of his former self. There were several moments in the match where he physically could not compete. He Has lost a step and this is a major issue for him because he was never a top athlete, but now he is beaten to the ball almost every time.

Also, he’s been so abysmal in previous matches that this actually seemed like a good performance. But there is no scenario where we make a challenge for top 6 and he’s playing crucial minutes. He can’t play at the PL level anymore.

Untd55

It was a good performance and entertaining, but there were still issues in the game. These issues will be punished by better teams, which is defined as pretty much every team in the Premier League.

Partizan are really bad, but early in the game they still caused us a few problems at the back. If they can do it, better teams will cause far more issues.

Partizan had to go for it yesterday, which resulted in a more open game that benefitted the team.

McTominay was poor, again, with lots of misplaced passes and giving away the ball.

Funnily enough, as soon as Fred went off, the performance dropped off by a lot. He was decent, aside from the one stupid pass.

Garner didn't really do anything of note when he came on.

Greenwood looks a good player and finisher, but it was only Partizan. We need to see him do it against better teams to see whether he is good enough.

Rashford, aside from poor finishing, had a decent game. Martial should have scored twice, but was decent overall.

Maguire was sloppy in possession. Felt him and Rojo were too easily beaten by the Partizan players whenever they attacked.

Bissaka was as solid as usual in defence. Also, had a few good deliveries.

Drz

What I've liked in our past 3 games or so, is a slight improvement in the speed of passing, notably some one touch passing and movement.
There is still an issue in terms of control of the tempo, as in collectively knowing when to hold the ball a bit and when to speed things up.
Is Greenwood the only player this season to score for us coming in from the right?
Also how many 3-0 home victories have we had in Europe since Fergie retired?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
This was a lot more entertaining and we could have had more goals, but they still sliced through us a few times and later in the competition we may get punished.

Hughie77

Very good, good set realy to make them defend , we put alot of bodies up the pitch, left the 2 centre backs, a CM deal with there attacks, it worked had loads of the ball in final 3rd created very very good chances , more should have been scored, but happy with 3 goals, clean sheet.

USREDEVIL

Partizan was super sloppy with the passing. How many weak ass passes were intercepted by our players in the final third? Played decently against a pretty bad side. Should have had around 5 goals though. But overall it was a positive display and I enjoyed us continuing to attack and press even after we were 1 up, 2 up, and 3 up (less so but still).

Foxbatt

I would like to raise a point here on not passing. Why is that when our defenders join the attack the other players never pass to them? I can remember twice when Rojo was in a good position on the left in their box, the pass and the other time, the cross never came in.

It is not only last night but I have noticed this many a times.

cyril C

Good first half, second half became a bit dull, especially after Rashford went off.
This is precisely what you should do when you are 3 goals up, have a big game in 3 days time (to us). This is something that Ajax has failed on multiple times.

StrettyEnder07

A bit late to respond, but yes Garner.

He is 18 - and was playing with the other two in midfield. Obviously that disjointed play was expected
Yeah sorry I don't sit on this 247 only have a look when in work my bad.

About his 3rd appearance in a United shirt and he has had one start, which was in Belgrade when he actually played well, and he is getting slagged off on a forum, christ give the bloke half a chance.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 252 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Partizan win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 36% Man Utd 2:0 Partizan
  • 24% Man Utd 1:0 Partizan