Manchester United 4:0 Queens Park Rangers

Post-match discussion

Sun, 14 September 2014

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Very encouraging performance.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Exciting performance. Great to see the new lads settle in and we finally had penetration in the final third.

Defensively still some mistakes, hopefully that is sorted out soon. Midfield finally looked good :drool:

prateik

Really wonder why we didnt sign Rojo and Blind earlier in the transfer window..

Winrar

Finally some fluid football where it matters, though QPR was poor. I'm actually left disappointed that we didn't win by a bigger margin.

Still, great win, clean sheet. It's a start.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Blind and Herrera were the difference between today and Burnley for me, they were just fantastic

Plus what more can you say about Di Maria? New superstar.
Rooney and Mata played well too despite the media not rating them.

Robbie Boy

It was good stuff. Might stop the Welbeck thread(s) being bumped for a while. Great debuts from Blind and Di Maria and Herrera looks the part.

Valencia was poison when he came on and I thought RvP was relatively poor. Against a better team, that defence would have been punished. Evans had more than a-few shakey moments.

Siorac

This midfield thingy is kinda fun, now I can understand why other teams seem to use it all the time.

Di Maria was immense until he decided he didn't care anymore. Shame Falcao couldn't score.

The defending was shaky and Valencia, once again, almost made me pull my hair out but I managed to calm down.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
70% possession. That's a good foundation to stop shipping goals, by not letting the other team have a sniff of the ball.

Did Blind ever misplace a pass? Everything he did looked perfect and effortless.

Agent Red

That was brilliant. Don't care that QPR were woeful, we were excellent and there's a definite feeling that we're up and running. Have to go back a fair while to remember when we last played that well. Maybe Moyes's first game against Swansea?

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Seems like a cloud is lifting. Loads of positives. Blackett is doing it for me big time - keeps it simple, looks composed, generally does not feck about with it.

Cons are pretty much just Evans and Valencia but no surprise there. Both should be gone by next season.

Woodzy

We were very good. You could probably count on one hand the performances from last season that were as good as that, which probably says more about last season than how good we actually were. Still though, for me this was the first game for this new United team and there's a lot more to come.

That defence though... :nervous:

Mindhunter

This is a start. Still some defensive fragilities to weed out and we should be on our way back to the top.

Very refreshing to see some of our new signings settle in pretty well. Really impressed with Di Maria and Daley Blind. They both played like they have been always here. Specially the movement and on the ball skills that Blind provided were very refreshing to watch after the drab one dimensional football that had been on offer.

Herrera is a great buy and whoever thinks that he can't defend should hang his head in shame. This guy was everywhere, creating changes, intercepting balls, tackling opponent players. This is how it feels to have a real midfield.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Lots of positives but a bit sloppy at times at the back. Will need to improve. But things will probably be like that for a while, with no set back line.
RVP could he under pressure. Rooney and Mata did well enough.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
There were times during the match when I found myself literally giggling with excitement and joy. Such a different feeling to just two weeks ago.

Positives

All the newbies that started played well.
Mata looks ready to step up to fight for his position
The quick passing and pace was a genuine joy to watch
Clean sheet
Rooney looked hungry and confident, not angry and confused

Negatives
Defence still looks a bit too shaky
Valencia's lack of quality stood out
Falcao didn't score and looked a bit rusty
Van Persie would have scored at least 2 two seasons ago
De Gea had a brainfart (though looked better once he got that out of his system)

DevilRed

Its been a while since I've seen such a dominating display such as this. Match was over halfway into the first half really.

Di Maria was unstoppable and looks like he will live up to the billing of our other famous no. 7s.

Falcao looks like he needs to get more minutes but you can already tell he has goals in him. Could have had a goal today off a poachers opportunity and his hold up play looked solid in the short time he was on.

Ander Herrera is exactly the kind of player we have been crying out for. Forget Vidal, this kid is the real deal!

Great to see Rafael back and what a difference he makes to our right flank.

Moriarty

Blind and Herrera were the difference between today and Burnley for me, they were just fantastic

Plus what more can you say about Di Maria? New superstar.
Rooney and Mata played well too despite the media not rating them.
I thought Rooney had a terrific game today. Played some lovely balls around. That pass to Valencia near the end was a real peach spoiled only by Valencia's feck up. Falcao looked rusty but that's to be expected.

I still think teams like City and Chelsea will rip our defence to shreds but we seem to be set up nicely going forward.

Richard Cranium

People saying "it was only QPR" etc. need to cast their minds back to about 6 months ago when we took on an arguably worse Fulham side at home and the difference between that performance and today.

Nogbadthebad

I think the front players speak for themselves. RVP is the man who will lose out to Falcao i think, he isn't as dynamic as he was.

I also think Tyler Blackett will be our next truly great defender. I wish Rio was still around to teach him.

stu_1992

Great performance. Really good stuff to watch and it's been a while since I could say that. Di Maria was amazing, Herrera was really good too. Blind and Rojo looked solid on their débuts, Falcao didn't get time to do much which was disappointing. He was unfortunate since we had taken our foot off the pedal by that stage. Evans still looks shaky which was my only real worry. Great stuff. Bring on the next game.

LLMU

Herrera and Blind showed what we were missing in midfield. And Di Maria oozed class every time he touched the ball. And a strong debut from Rojo. Overall, impressive display.

Mister_Stubbs

Fantastic performance and a moral boosting result. Still think we can play better which may worry others.

Raw

We scored 4, kept a clean sheet, but the best thing about today? I enjoyed watching United play. Our players were actually passing and moving!

vivaronaldo

The old united ... Composed aggressive and sure of itself... Yes I know it's only qpr but you can only beat what's in front of you

Blind- absolutely bossed the middle
Di maria - sensational
Rojas- solid

Onto Leicester we go

jem

Di Maria :drool:

Bringing on Valencia was the only thing i didn't like about the match
It was a good move. Rafael looked fantastic; no need to risk injury. I actually think Valencia can serve as his backup. Hopefully we'll never see Young or Fletcher (as much as I hate to say it,) on the pitch again.

Will Singh

We played with confidence which we lost a long time ago! Very impressed with Blind as it was his debut and he looked like he has played for us for years.

One negative was that when Mata came off we lost our balance up front which will need working on.

I won't say much about Valencia apart from wtf was he doing when Rooney done that Hollywood pass and Val done all the hard work and fecked it! If he passed to Falcao then it was a goal.

FALCAO... Wow I'm just so excited and hope he gets a goal soon and he will give us a lot of goals.

Di Maria! His a proper UTD player and the graft he put in is amazing!

It was only QPR so let's not get carried away but enjoy this performance today.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Based on this game I would say that:

A) This formation is by far the best fit for our current set of players.
B) The balance of the team is far better with Mata behind the strikers as opposed to Rooney.
C) RvP should be the player most at threat from Falcao's arrival.
D) Herrera and Di Maria were always going to be first team players but Blind and Rojo did enough to walk straight into our starting eleven too.
E) Defence is still a big issue. The gap in quality between our defenders and our attackers is really remarkable. Hopefully Rojo moves into CB once Shaw is fit again.

I'm feeling like we're back. That was such an enjoyable game of football for us. All the new signings impressed and the team looked like they were enjoying themselves out there. We haven't played with such assurance in ages. The game was effectively won before half time otherwise we would surely have got more goals. This can't be another false dawn for us.

Defensively we still look so sloppy though. The openings we gifted to QPR would have been punished by a better side. Hopefully we can get everyone fit and settled so they're look more secure.

Man of the Match

Angel Di Maria image Angel Di Maria 73% of 1010 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 705 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Q.P.R. win
  • Draw