CL W Champions League Group H

Manchester United 5:0 RB Leipzig

Post-match discussion

Wed, 28 October 2020

georgipep

Lots of talk about the diamond but it was 1-0 in 60 minutes with the diamond and 4-0 in 30 minutes with the dreaded 4-2-3-1.

Great to see Rashford so impressive on the right. Gives the squad some great options.

I hope everyone remembers his performance today next time "Rashford can't play on the right" is spouted.
Diamond was needed to push Leipzig to the wings in the first half. When they (RBL) started putting more focus on the right side, Ole reacted and re-introduced the 4-2-3-1 to exploit our right side (where Rashford operated most of the time) and stretch the game so we can pick them on the counter.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Strangely, I sort of enjoyed the first half more than the second. Wait before you go of on one: it's because the line-up and formation/tactics completely took them by surprise and laid the foundation for us to look so untroubled and take control. Of course, thereafter, it was great to see the goals fly in.

I have to admit that I had no idea they were top of the Bundesliga so lean towards us playing very well rather than them being weak (although they did have some players missing) and there were good defensive performances - Lindelof was almost in cruise control.

I thought Donny had a good game without ever looking flashy, even i he was overshadowed by the arrival of Bruno and Rashford! Again, Pogba looks better when he doesn't hang on to the ball too long and doesn't try to showboat.

One drawback for me was Martial: another almost anonymous performance and never looked like scoring until Rashford/Bruno giving him the penalty. He still hasn't learnt when to pass and when to go alone. On the flip side, Cavani made some good runs and at least twice was open and had found space when rashford scored... had he have missed the ball o dummied it, I reckon edison was well positioned to score. That's promising.

Now we absolutely must carry this performance on to Sunday...

Djemba-Djemba

The luxury of being able to be winning and then bring on Rashford and Bruno and Cavani as late subs is just brilliant.

Last season it would have been the likes of Lingard or Pereira coming on.

Offsideagain

Wow, didn’t see that coming to be honest. They all put in a shift I thought. Matic was found wanting for pace a few times but he also played well despite the Leipzig players falling over at the slightest touch.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Good morning fellow Reds! What a performance last night! The best we have seen since SAF? Possibly, imo. RBL did what they do and Ole's plan worked with the players playing with more concentration and workrate than I've seen in a long time. If we play like that against Arsenal we'll win again. No doubt about that. Big ups to Fred, Rashford, AWB, but they were all fantastic!

Sea-Cow

I know everyone is happy with the result, but up until the second goal I thought it was another extremely poor performance. I think we created one chance in the first-half, and I know it is irrelevant but I imagine that would have been given as offsides in the Prem. Oh well I guess, good pass and excellent finish.

We were working hard defensively but were struggling to keep the ball and it looked like they were dominating us in possession and territory. I was frustrated at halftime because again, its the same issue of failing to create even half-chances, much less goal scoring opportunities.

And although their lads were constantly going down looking for fouls, I think we were very lucky that Matic wasn't sent off. His first yellow was ridiculous, but how on earth did he not get a second yellow for his elbow to the face? And someone needs to please remind Maguire that there is VAR now, and its not the 70s, you can't WWE the opposition. This will eventually get punished.

I thought Donny VDB was good and am glad he got the start. He didn't do anything spectacular but he works hard and almost always plays the right pass. He is an excellent addition to the squad and I am looking forward to him developing in the next few years.

I still thought Pogba was poor, apart from his assist. Hopefully it is just a fitness thing and he can keep improving.

Martial is just not doing enough. Are we sure he hasn't had Covid? I am fairly certain the penalty was his first shot on goal this season! Its incredible. But he finished with a goal and an assist so people will get defensive and say he had a good game. He did not. He was a complete non-factor in the first-half, and he should be fit and firing with his self-inflicted rest in the league. Just very disappointed with him and I hope he either gets it together quickly or gets pushed to the bench.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I know everyone is happy with the result, but up until the second goal I thought it was another extremely poor performance. I think we created one chance in the first-half, and I know it is irrelevant but I imagine that would have been given as offsides in the Prem. Oh well I guess, good pass and excellent finish.

We were working hard defensively but were struggling to keep the ball and it looked like they were dominating us in possession and territory. I was frustrated at halftime because again, its the same issue of failing to create even half-chances, much less goal scoring opportunities.

And although their lads were constantly going down looking for fouls, I think we were very lucky that Matic wasn't sent off. His first yellow was ridiculous, but how on earth did he not get a second yellow for his elbow to the face? And someone needs to please remind Maguire that there is VAR now, and its not the 70s, you can't WWE the opposition. This will eventually get punished.

I thought Donny VDB was good and am glad he got the start. He didn't do anything spectacular but he works hard and almost always plays the right pass. He is an excellent addition to the squad and I am looking forward to him developing in the next few years.

I still thought Pogba was poor, apart from his assist. Hopefully it is just a fitness thing and he can keep improving.

Martial is just not doing enough. Are we sure he hasn't had Covid? I am fairly certain the penalty was his first shot on goal this season! Its incredible. But he finished with a goal and an assist so people will get defensive and say he had a good game. He did not. He was a complete non-factor in the first-half, and he should be fit and firing with his self-inflicted rest in the league. Just very disappointed with him and I hope he either gets it together quickly or gets pushed to the bench.
We were up against CL semi finalists and Bundesliga leaders. We had to match the incredibly high tempo of their game, then earn the right to play a bit of football. We hardly gave up a chance all night and gradually wore them down. I remember when games at OT often turned into a procession but that's not where we are now, and certainly not in the Champions league. It was an excellent performance. I enjoyed it immensely.

Danillaco

Nah. Go back to your water-pastures.

RedDevil@84

but up until the second goal I thought it was another extremely poor performance
"Extremely poor" is stretching it. It was not that good. But then you are talking from an offensive point of view.
We would not be good every minute for 90 mins in most of the games. Most teams wont. It is difficult.

But we did the adequate. Defended in numbers. They pressed hard, but could not make real breakthroughs. Except for the De Gea save, I doubt if there was any critical moment where we should have been worried.
And for all the pressing they did, they did a lot of diving which killed any kind of flow in the game. Perhaps they felt getting lot of freekicks will help them make more inroads. But either ways we effectively thwarted them almost all the time.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
think we were very lucky that Matic wasn't sent off. His first yellow was ridiculous, but how on earth did he not get a second yellow for his elbow to the face?
I thought it was obvious that only one player was going for the ball. The other guy was looking for an elbow to walk into.

Last edited:

Sea-Cow

"Extremely poor" is stretching it. It was not that good. But then you are talking from an offensive point of view.
We would not be good every minute for 90 mins in most of the games. Most teams wont. It is difficult.

But we did the adequate. Defended in numbers. They pressed hard, but could not make real breakthroughs. Except for the De Gea save, I doubt if there was any critical moment where we should have been worried.
And for all the pressing they did, they did a lot of diving which killed any kind of flow in the game. Perhaps they felt getting lot of freekicks will help them make more inroads. But either ways we effectively thwarted them almost all the time.
Agreed they hardly caused any issues for Dave, which is a credit to the work the lads put in (most of them, anyway).

But if it will improve my point, I will clarify -- with the ball we were extremely poor. We created next to nothing and ran into the same recurring problems. If we can't hit a team on the break we will struggle immensely at creating chances. This means we will run into the same problems against so-called lesser teams who sit back and hit us on the break. If they take away our counters and quick-hits and force us to play in front of them and try to break them down, we will struggle.

stu_1992

Great game last night, but especially the second half. I never really felt we'd lose when we were winning at Half Time, but never expected to win 5-0! Must admit I was bit pissed to see Bruno and Rashford come on with around 30 mins left as I thought "why risk them?" However in hindsight I'm glad they did come on. Absolutely superb to see a Hat Trick for Rashford! That should shut up the "stick to football" crowd. What a start to the season he is having. Fernandes with some great playmaking. Pogba played well after a shaky start to the season. Great assist for Greenwood who is now off the mark. Martial too, hopefuly they can add some more quickly. I was shocked to see Rashford give up that penalty but fair to him for the selflessness. Ultimately it didn't matter anyway. Shame about Cavini being offside or it would have been an almost perfect game for our attackers.

Nicoseth

Fun at Parties FC.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Brilliant display. I waited a whole day to digest the feeling before coming on this thread to post. 10 on 10 to everyone. 8 for Maguire. Still looked a little nervous in 1v1 situations. Onwards and Upwards lads.

Sea-Cow

Fun at Parties FC.
Haha too old to get invited to parties mate.

And am I wrong? Did I miss the time in the first half when we created some chances, or looked like we had a plan going forward? Please enlighten me, if so!

Nicoseth

Haha too old to get invited to parties mate.

And am I wrong? Did I miss the time in the first half when we created some chances, or looked like we had a plan going forward? Please enlighten me, if so!
Haha! No offense intended, mate. Just thought it was a negative way of looking at the game. Until we scored the firstI thought it was even. They pressed us and we held our own - neither team really creating much, and I thought we matched their energy which was a concern beforehand. After the goal, we sat back and defended against their reaction to going behind. Yes, we struggled to keep possession at times but this is a good team we're playing against - a team that beat spurs twice last year on the way to the semis, so they're going to play well in patches. Second half I think they ran out of energy and ideas which is credit to Ole - his gameplan was excellent. 5 nil was a little flattering but we were by far the better team in that second half.

But hey, opinions are opinions, that's why we love the game.

POF

Diamond was needed to push Leipzig to the wings in the first half. When they (RBL) started putting more focus on the right side, Ole reacted and re-introduced the 4-2-3-1 to exploit our right side (where Rashford operated most of the time) and stretch the game so we can pick them on the counter.
Agreed. It was an excellent tactical move. Similar to the change he made in Paris that changed the game there.

Ole can be tactically astute. I just find it funny that so many are hailing the diamond as the oracle when it was a 1-0 nailbiter until he switched to 4-2-3-1.

georgipep

Agreed. It was an excellent tactical move. Similar to the change he made in Paris that changed the game there.

Ole can be tactically astute. I just find it funny that so many are hailing the diamond as the oracle when it was a 1-0 nailbiter until he switched to 4-2-3-1.
The diamond was necessary to get to the point we can pick them on the counter. I think we would've conceded if we started with 4-2-3-1. And if we conceded first, who knows how Leipzig close the game or pick us on the counter..

Achilles McCool

This would be the type of poster that rips United in May of ‘99 for their poor, poor performance in Barcelona against Bayern Munich up until the 90th minute!
Something like: “United were terrible and didn’t have the skill or heart to deal with Bayern. We were lucky to get to injury time only 0-1 down.”

Last edited:

Sea-Cow

Haha! No offense intended, mate. Just thought it was a negative way of looking at the game. Until we scored the firstI thought it was even. They pressed us and we held our own - neither team really creating much, and I thought we matched their energy which was a concern beforehand. After the goal, we sat back and defended against their reaction to going behind. Yes, we struggled to keep possession at times but this is a good team we're playing against - a team that beat spurs twice last year on the way to the semis, so they're going to play well in patches. Second half I think they ran out of energy and ideas which is credit to Ole - his gameplan was excellent. 5 nil was a little flattering but we were by far the better team in that second half.

But hey, opinions are opinions, that's why we love the game.
Fair enough. I thought we were poor and keep looking and hoping each week to see some improvement in this area, but alas maybe we will flip the switch on Sunday.

Sea-Cow

This would be the poster that rips United in May of ‘99 for their poor, poor performance in Barcelona against Bayern Munich up until the 90th minute!
Something like: “United were terrible and didn’t have the skill or heart to deal with Bayern. We were lucky to get to injury time only 0-1 down.”
Haha I mean now that you mention it.... we didn't really create much as far as I can remember.

But if all that matters is the end result, then ok I can accept that at times.

POF

The diamond was necessary to get to the point we can pick them on the counter. I think we would've conceded if we started with 4-2-3-1. And if we conceded first, who knows how Leipzig close the game or pick us on the counter..
I like the diamond. It's a good option to keep a game compact but the team will struggle to create because they play so narrow and get no width from the full backs.

My issue is with the reaction. Do you think everyone is creaming themselves over being 1-0 up with an hour gone? It's the 4 goals in 20 minutes that turned that from a solid dour performance to something that got everyone excited.

Look at the thread for the Arsenal game. Full of people banging on about how Ole has to stick to the diamond. Some even saying they won't watch if he plays 4-2-3-1.

Are they doing it because they admired the solidity of 60 minutes in the diamond? Or is it that they didn't realise that he changed systems to 4-2-3-1 after an hour? I'll give you a hint. It's the second one.

georgipep

I like the diamond. It's a good option to keep a game compact but the team will struggle to create because they play so narrow and get no width from the full backs.

My issue is with the reaction. Do you think everyone is creaming themselves over being 1-0 up with an hour gone? It's the 4 goals in 20 minutes that turned that from a solid dour performance to something that got everyone excited.

Look at the thread for the Arsenal game. Full of people banging on about how Ole has to stick to the diamond. Some even saying they won't watch if he plays 4-2-3-1.

Are they doing it because they admired the solidity of 60 minutes in the diamond? Or is it that they didn't realise that he changed systems to 4-2-3-1 after an hour? I'll give you a hint. It's the second one.
You are spot on but there are a ton of fans with zero understanding or ability to judge tactical systems, player performance in context and many other aspects of the game. The diamond is a system we rarely play and thus is the one that is supposedly the best, since, you see, we have a lot of midfielders.

It's not like tactics should maximise our chances of victory in the style the manager wants the team to play... For some it's more to fit their favourite players all in the same starting XI.

Sea-Cow

Yeah. Because otherwise why watch the match? If all that needs to be known about a match is the end result, then glance at it, see who scored and then move on.
To expand slightly -- I think a knockout tournament it is perfectly acceptable to not care about the performance in the slightest, as long as you advance to the next round. Same with a relegation fight.

But I think it is fair to say, even after a resounding 5-0 win against last year's semi-finalist and current German league leaders, that the performance for long periods wasn't good. And that is slightly embarrassing that Martial's failure to have a single shot on goal for the entire season would have continued for a 5th game if he had not taken the penalty. Etc. etc.

And I think I am slightly frustrated about this because I don't think Ole is a good enough manager for a club that has title-winning ambitions. But people got so blinded by the fluke win against PSG that he was given the job permanently, as if they only looked at the result and ignored the performance. Which was terrible!!!!!!

But if you say that then Rio Ferdinand and the Caf will shout you down and blah blah blah

Edit -- I realize the contradiction in that the PSG was a knockout round, so I am an idiot. Oh well, I think my overall point stands, even if the example I gave directly contradicts it! Feel free to ignore due to that mistake.

Wheato

I'm still laughing my cock off at Julian Nagelsmann. Like a puffed up, preening peacock. Parading up and down the technical area, chest puffed out like he owned the place. By the 3rd goal, you could barely make out the top of his head hiding behind the brick wall in the away team dug out.

I love this game.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Yeah. Because otherwise why watch the match? If all that needs to be known about a match is the end result, then glance at it, see who scored and then move on.
You seem a bit conflicted about supporting your football team. I want them to win and would rather they play badly and win than dominate a game and come away with nothing. I was tired of us winning the odd trophy and getting plaudite for great football. When Fergie came along he changed the mentality and turned us into winners, sometimes at all costs. I won't pretend that I didn't enjoy that. If all that pleases you is the 'way' we play...then support another club or become a neutral.

Sea-Cow

You seem a bit conflicted about supporting your football team. I want them to win and would rather they play badly and win than dominate a game and come away with nothing. I was tired of us winning the odd trophy and getting plaudite for great football. When Fergie came along he changed the mentality and turned us into winners, sometimes at all costs. I won't pretend that I didn't enjoy that. If all that pleases you is the 'way' we play...then support another club or become a neutral.
Noted. Cheers for the suggestion.

tombombadil

It was a good game and a great result. Very happy to see things turn out well in the end. I just hope we continue the solid form into the weekend.

However, I must emphasise that we should not let ourselves be carried away here. It was a tight 1 - 0 for large periods of the game. Part of the reason for the trashing is because Nagelsmann got too aggressive by pushing 5 players up front. They lost control at that point and Ole exploited it. That cost them the match.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Good one, mate. We cheers for the win, while we strive to improve to make sure this is not a one-off big win.

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"

This is one of the most negative posts after a 5-0 thrashing of quality opposition I've ever witnessed. Definitely a contender for worst post of 2020. You need to go and see a doctor mate.

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
To expand slightly -- I think a knockout tournament it is perfectly acceptable to not care about the performance in the slightest, as long as you advance to the next round. Same with a relegation fight.

But I think it is fair to say, even after a resounding 5-0 win against last year's semi-finalist and current German league leaders, that the performance for long periods wasn't good. And that is slightly embarrassing that Martial's failure to have a single shot on goal for the entire season would have continued for a 5th game if he had not taken the penalty. Etc. etc.

And I think I am slightly frustrated about this because I don't think Ole is a good enough manager for a club that has title-winning ambitions. But people got so blinded by the fluke win against PSG that he was given the job permanently, as if they only looked at the result and ignored the performance. Which was terrible!!!!!!

But if you say that then Rio Ferdinand and the Caf will shout you down and blah blah blah

Edit -- I realize the contradiction in that the PSG was a knockout round, so I am an idiot. Oh well, I think my overall point stands, even if the example I gave directly contradicts it! Feel free to ignore due to that mistake.
You are only finding ways to discredit the performance because you are in the Ole out camp. The PSG match was a fluke? We were the better team.

Rolaholic

This is one of the most negative posts after a 5-0 thrashing of quality opposition I've ever witnessed. Definitely a contender for worst post of 2020. You need to go and see a doctor mate.
Don't you know? Thrashing the first place team in Germany and last years CL semi-finalist is actually a testament to how poor we really are...

Withnail

Don't you know? Thrashing the first place team in Germany and last years CL semi-finalist is actually a testament to how poor we really are...
It's bizarre. It's like the quality of the opposition doesn't come into the analysis at all.

I thought going into the game they would cause us a lot of problems due their style, tempo and pressing. I was very impressed managed to stifle them as we did and yeah it was tight for the first hour or so but they are a good team.

Sea-Cow

You are only finding ways to discredit the performance because you are in the Ole out camp. The PSG match was a fluke? We were the better team.
The one from two years ago mate, when Rashford scored the penalty. In no universe were we the better team.

Man of the Match

Marcus Rashford image Marcus Rashford 81% of 440 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 447 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • RB Leipzig win
  • Draw