CL W Champions League Group H

Manchester United 5:0 RB Leipzig

Post-match discussion

Wed, 28 October 2020

FireballXL5

Fantastic performance. Made Leipzig look proper mugs. Now keep the momentum going and crush Arsenal.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I think as well Pogba looked better where he played tonight, sort of as the attacking MF of the MF three. Fred and Matic protected the back four and let Pogba loose.

Gordon S

How many teams can start a strong first eleven, then make 5 subs without losing any quality :houllier:

predator

Youth NITK
This is what I call happiness. Seeing every player play well and our attackers just look lethal from the word go.

Special shout out to De Gea, AWB, Lindelof, Maguire, Axel, Shaw, Fred, Matic, Scott, Bruno, Pogba, Vdb, Martial, Greenwood, Cavani.

We have to realise as a squad what we are capable of

HarryRedCrumbs

Ahhh gorgeous. The whole team playing well... we seemed to loose control in the second half and Leipzig were getting intense but we defended well and after the substitutions they started to fall apart. Rashford was dishing out goals like free school dinners. Love United, love the Reds!

Martial being given the penalty by Sir Marcus Rashford was the cherry on top, and AWB gets my MOTM just for defending like a gangsta...

Ole’s at the Wheel!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
As good as we were (and we were good) worth stating how embarrassing RB were for the last 30 minutes of that game.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Turns out the score was right, just for the wrong team.

anyway, fantastic opening 20 followed by an awful last 25 in the first half. Dominated them in the second and especially so after the subs.
Pretty much. I was worried for the second half based on the last 25 of the first half.

C3Pique

Nagelsmann did us a massive favour going all out attack so early, it's like he's never seen us play. I'd have backed them to get back in it eventually the way they were playing, but that Sabitzer sub was suicidal.

lysglimt

Scout
Hard to judge a player after one match - but Upamecano was awful.

Rojofiam

Not winning our group after getting 6 points from 2 very difficult fixtures to start our campaign would be a massive disappointment now. We're very likely to avoid Bayern in the last 16 now and I'm not too afraid of anybody else.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
I think we are going to reach the semis of this UCL. Yep, I've said it. When our attackers are inspired, we can thrash anyone, other than City, Bayern and the vermin. Not impressed with the rest: Barcelona, Madrid, Atletico, PSG, even Chelsea = we would beat them all with our attackers on fire.

Now please a 4-0 vs Arse this Sunday.

Withnail

I'm delighted.

So so good. 5-0, Rashford hat-trick.

It was only missing a Cavani goal.

One of the lads on the telly just said that was Greenwoods first CL shot he scored with... But of course it was

VivaRonaldo85

Knee jerk time..... that result will send shockwaves through Europe tonight. Destroyed a top German outfit backing up beating last years finalists in their own back yard. Finally we have a serious bench of talent to call on when all are fit. Plus we look remarkably fitter in the space of 3-4 weeks. Marcus sensational obviously but I’m fast becoming a total Fred fanboy. He is vastly underrated in the PL and lets keep him that way. A proper midfield destroyer. Love him!!

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
My favorite thing about tonight wasn't even the goals. It was the sheer ferocity that Martial and Bruno chased down a ball when we're up 4-0 from a Leipzig defender. 4-0 up and they still go FULL TILT to get the ball to score more. Honestly it makes me a bit teary eyed, this is the Manchester United I want.

Glorio

Have to give McSauce some credit, came on and bossed things physically

Fred's mobility, tackling and interceptions are sooo underrated, now if he can only be reminded that he's Brazilian and clean up some of his passing!

Giggzy P

What a Night
Perfect performance all round, Fred MOTM, Pogba was brilliant in the first half especially before the goal. Martial Came alive towards the end of the game. Ole deserves credit for having done his homework for the game as we were in control the whole game, even though Leipzig had the majority of the ball, we weren't really troubled.
We really are a deadly on the counter attacking team, I hope we go for it against Arsenal. So happy for Rashford well deserved.

Ps. I hope we can hold off on the Ole out ole In debate for the night and lets just enjoy the result. Just feel sorry for the Match going fans on here, you should have been there for this game.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I thought we were perfectly fine in the first half; defensively very sound which is not to be sniffed at considering some of our horror shows this year, a well-taken goal and some snatched passing in the face of their press.

The second half; lots of similar themes for me before the subs changed it completely. Tweaks to the formation and personnel, Scott did good work in midfield, Bruno gave us some creativity and Rashford did ok too :drool:

All in all a fine performance and a brilliant result. Well done everybody.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Our best game under Ole for the following reasons.

1) Beat the press
2) Players were all disciplined throughout even when struggling to break the press
3) We've options off the bench
4) Rashford's hat trick
5) Wiping the smirk off Nagelsmann face
6) Nagelsmann will most likely burn that shit of a jacket he wore since it'll remind him of this beating forever.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Crazy game. Good start, then surrendered the ball for what felt like forever, letting them get into a good rhythm without any real cutting edge. Then the subs just changed everything. Our squad is looking strong these days and with other teams struggling at times too, we have the means of having a good season.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Fantastic second half, following a very professional first.

Rashford looks to have matured when in front of goal - absolutely lethal.

SKS

First United hattrick by a sub since Ole scored 4 against Nottingham Forest in 1999. :drool:

Rustyspider13

MAGNIFICENT!

Some pundits will harp on about how Leipzig ended the first half and started the second one. But sometimes football is played like chess, you use the pieces you have and Ole used his perfectly. Starters did their job well and the subs completely killed them off.

So glad Rashford got his Hattrick, he's hitting his pre-injury form. So many positives today, Martial opened his account, VdB played well, Pogba put in a great shift defensively, defense wasn't even troubled really. Just an all around great game.

Just reinforces my view that our biggest problem is mentality. As soon as our young players 'grow up' and start to show consistency we'll see a team capable of beating anyone. Nights like this and Paris will go a long way in establishing that confidence.

DickDastardly

What a game!

Enjoyed watching us play with drive.

Don't know if they were agitated by the diving fecks and wanted to give it to them, but we sure did!

Energetic, smart, ruthless.

gearoid

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Absolutely loved that. Nothing else to add other than thank you.

Man of the Match

Marcus Rashford image Marcus Rashford 81% of 440 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 447 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • RB Leipzig win
  • Draw