CL W Champions League Group H

Manchester United 5:0 RB Leipzig

Post-match discussion

Wed, 28 October 2020

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Pogba, Fred, AWB, Greenwood, Martial, Bruno, and of course Rashford all played well, and nobody really played badly. Formation really worked first half, but would be improved with vdB dropping deeper.

How many times did they foul Martial? :lol: I thought he had an average game but he came alive once he got more space.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
5 - 0

Its been a long time since I saw a positive result like thay.

Welcome home!

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Never in any doubt!

Hope this shuts up every Ole outer who cream themselves over hipster coaches.

World class performance, world class management and tactics tonight!
Nah, I bet they had their posts primed ready to jerk off Nagelsmann if we lost tonight. They will be smarting tonight.

Redfrog

What a great last 20 minutes that was !

What a performance by Rashford ! The lad receive so many abuse but he is so good and his finishing was world class tonight. A bit of rest can do wonders to players... He played with no rest for so long, no wonders his performances were not consistent.

If Ole can rotate effectively this season it can be great. Our bench looks so strong this season. I think de still miss at least one quality attacking player but the rest look allright.

I am si excited to see Martial, Rashford, Bruno and Cavani together on a consistent basis, with Rashford on the right and Martial on the left.

I prefer Martial on the left because he is increadible at dribbling in tight spaces to cut inside and play someone on. That is what we miss on the wings...

Great game anyway ! Si excited for thé futur !

siw2007

Superb result! Really didn’t expect that as we were up against it for long periods but the subs really swinged the game in our favour and Rashford really tore up the game when he came on. Can’t fault the performance, let’s take it into the next game.

Jaxa

Wowww, that was absolutely electric, i can pick so many players that impressed me tonight, I have to start with Rashford obviously looking world class but Fred was fantastic tonight, such a warrior and so glad he's getting played, didn't deserve to be out the team in the first place, he's staked his place in that team,

Just a great night overall, De Gea could have read a book or something that game, absolutely nothing to do bar what 1 save ?

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Don't think VDB and AWB are getting sufficient love in the match ratings. Both were absolutely outstanding 8/9 perfomances

Born2Lose

Only thing more embarrassing than their defending was that stupid jacket.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Good to see all the over the top anti Maguire threads have disappeared too.

Eire Red United

Ah lads I’m speechless. That second half was fantastic. Obviously Rashford etc will get the plaudits but I thought Fred was outstanding, worked his socks off.

That game had everything, clean sheet, wonderkid Greenwood getting his goal, game time for Pogba, Cavani and VDB, Martial ending his dry spell and of course the man of the moment getting his hattrick while being able to remind us what an all round great lad he is.

tjb

That diamond formation could be very useful for us. What we essentially have are 3 inside forward and a striker. It's the thing I saw in the first half and really wanted Rashford to come on for....it allows him in particular to not have to play with his back to goal, whilst having endless space to attack.

We also don't have any wingers and instead have 3 no.10's in Bruno, VDB and Mata. It allows Pogba to play on that left side aswell. The big thing for me was how solid defensively it makes us, as when tasked with defending it takes full advantage of AWB's world class defending.

There are a few questions to ask in regard to it. With the first being how we intend to use our flanks. I like how comfortable AWB is simply defending like an old fashioned full back. In games where we have a lot of dominance in possession, should we keep AWB back and allow the wide midfielders overlap with the attack? Or should we push our full backs high and our DM back in the defence?

Personally, I see us as more of an aggressive attacking team than a team the controls possession and this game showed that. We don't have as many inventors as City, but we have fast, aggressive skilled players with one or two inventors. I see this as an opportunity to revert back to 442 in the sense of the amount of attackers it allows for us in the box and in the responsibility for creativity coming from midfield. Giggs and Beckham didn't push up like Rashford and Greenwood, and therefore brought a more solid shape and assumed the major creative responsibility. If we can work on the tactic and the spacing in midfield, we would have a really good team.

Houdini

Rashford MOTM.
AVB is back at least defensively. I would play him against strong sides we need his tackles. We still need an attacking RB against weak sides.
Fred is a player of the month for me. He is so consistent, wins tackles gives energy and also have a good technique.
Pogba did well I hope he is Pogback
DVB was solid.
McT is starting to be consistent and still can be better.
Cacani looks sharp.
Greenwood is a pure scorer.
Rest of the team was ok, Matic was so so.

What a night!
Ole : Nag 1:0

Robertd0803

Fantastic stuff. Back to back comfortable wins against the finalists and semi finalists from a few months ago. Pretty nice going.

And us scoring hat-tricks is always a good thing.

Wheato

Seems that Leipzig's strategy was to press the space and foul whenever we had the ball. Pogba lapped those fouls up and it eventually broke any sort of momentum that they could build. As they were running out of steam, Ole played his trump card and put some pace up top and we completely blew them away. Rashford was unplayable. Scored 3 and even handed the penalty over to Martial. Not bad for a 30 minute cameo.

Another tactical masterclass from our coaching team, against another team that made the CL semi finals last season, and are the current leaders of the Bundesliga.

We belong here.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Hard to judge a player after one match - but Upamecano was awful.
TBF he was missing Laimer with all the dirty work he does in front of the CBs but I do think he’s quality. Konate looks a better defender though

Crashoutcassius

What a fecking win. Tight game for large parts, they didn't create anything but it was clear that putting Rashford and Bruno on would kill the game, and wow did they do that. They were beyond dumb of course, still committing so many bodies forward, but we took full advantage. Rashford fantastic.
We are one of the worst teams in the world to be chasing the game against, especially if rashford is confident and the midfield are firing

thepolice123

Great performance. Never in doubt of the result. RB had a lot of the ball but they rarely threatened. Once our subs came on it was lights out for them.

cj_sparky

Yowser...wowser...

Played a bit like an away European tie in the first half, still a solid performance. But second half before the changes was quite comfortable, easily on top. After the changes...ruthless looked like we could score on every counter, flat track bullying. :D

Great night!!!

Eire Red United

Superb squad depth in our front 6 at the minute, Oles got a headache trying to pick 6 from Rashford, Greenwood, Martial, Bruno, Pogba, McT, Fred, Matic, VDB and Cavani, all of whom have decent claims of being starters along with Mata, James and Ighalo as squad options. Great to see.

Suvvernmanc

Not winning our group after getting 6 points from 2 very difficult fixtures to start our campaign would be a massive disappointment now. We're very likely to avoid Bayern in the last 16 now and I'm not too afraid of anybody else.
I watched the whole PSG v Istanbul game before. Istanbul were fantastic but just a little rash in front of goal. To fair to them, keylor navas was very good so they did work PSG hard. We have a very tough group. This group is not decided yet and we could still struggle. Almost all of our remaining 4 games will be hard.

United Hobbit

The difference in having the option of bringing on actual quality off the bench is beautiful.

OT1214

The way McTominay was winning balls and immediately playing forward passes even at 4-0 was fantastic to watch. Thats how it should be.

Oh and Ole walking away from his ipad at the beginning of the match when he realized he was on screen was :lol:

Zlatans Knee

That was the most fun watching United for years. It was a close match until our subs came on. The second goal finished it and they fell apart after that.
The best thing about it was that we didn’t get to hear any more Mr Fancy Jacket shouting for the final 15 minutes of the matcb.

Josh 76

Superb squad depth in our front 6 at the minute, Oles got a headache trying to pick 6 from Rashford, Greenwood, Martial, Bruno, Pogba, McT, Fred, Matic, VDB and Cavani, all of whom have decent claims of being starters along with Mata, James and Ighalo as squad options. Great to see.
We haven't had options like this since Fergie days.

TheDoc

I'm growing fond of this team. The work rate and the skills, the players giving it their all and always supporting each other... Both the attitude and the personalities at display, this is looking more and more like the Manchester United I've learned to love throughout the years and the one I've been seeing less and less of these last couple of years.

This game today, these last three matches in fact... I'm too old for these kids definitely and also I'm married, don't swing that way either, but I can't help feeling romanced by them nontheless.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Whichever future-telling Mod that showed the score would eventually get to at least 4-0 at the start of the match should get a 3-point warning. I didn’t want any spoilers.

Rojofiam

I watched the whole PSG v Istanbul game before. Istanbul were fantastic but just a little rash in front of goal. To fair to them, keylor navas was very good so they did work PSG hard. We have a very tough group. This group is not decided yet and we could still struggle. Almost all of our remaining 4 games will be hard.
I was expecting 6 points from those games but even 4 will do now. We're basically in the group of death this season but I don't think even the most optimistic fans expected these 2 results. Nothing's been decided yet but it will be considered a failure if we don't win our group in my opinion.

Fitchett

Superb performance all night! Real squad depth now, with changes made to the starting lineup and quality subs to bring on. Did well in a tight game early on, then destroyed last year's CL semi-finalisrs in the 2nd half. Two big wins in a very strong group. Pre-season is now over and United are in full stride.

So much for the negativity beforehand of some posters, predicting that Ole would get schooled by Nagelsmann.

Pablo18th

You're right but Mata this season has made a case to be a starter too.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Being able to bring on quality secured the win!

Loving the champions league so far, seems to suit us, hope we can have a good run.

Man of the Match

Marcus Rashford image Marcus Rashford 81% of 440 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 447 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • RB Leipzig win
  • Draw