CL W Champions League Group H

Manchester United 5:0 RB Leipzig

Post-match discussion

Wed, 28 October 2020

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Impossible to say anything negative about today's match. Absolutely delightful.

Another very interesting and delicious thing that we have been witnessing in the past couple of games: Ole's match-management has become way better. He used to just put forward his best (and only) starting 11 and the substitute based on necessities, usually too late in the game. We have started seeing completely different match management from Ole lately however (esp. against Chelsea, and today albeit very different results). He will start with one strategic formation and then in the second half he will make very strategic subs, transforming the game based on the plan, not forced necessities. It's quite awesome to watch, to be honest. Could be result of - he has something to choose from in the midfield and up front now, but either way - very nice to watch. Would be even better if he had Sancho instead of Dan James, but very nice nevertheless.
It is imo. Remember at the start of last season? Martial and Pogba injured, Bruno, Cavani and DvB had not arrived and Greenwood was working his way into the first team. That's 6 (!) quality players in midfield and attack we were missing then that we had yesterday. We literally had no options besides Mata, Pereira and Lindgard to come in and change the game

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Only watched the highlights, but great results and really sets us up to progress from the group now. Hopefully we can use this to build some real momentum going into the league as well.

jungledrums

Even Pogba ran a bit. Fred was a dynamo in midfield. Not getting Sancho opens the door for Greenwood big time.
I always have rated Rashford as the best striker in England. His problem is inconsistency. But if tonight is a confidence building moment and he scores few more in a run of games, then watch out.
Rashford >>> Martial

we need a lw more than rw if Rashford plays center forward more.

Those European nights are special at Old Trafford
Why pit our own players against each other? They’re not mutually exclusive. Celebrate Rashford AND Martial, not instead of Martial.

Real Name

Ole said after 2 games or so we're not there yet energy wise due to short preseason and some players getting back late and we'll be there, fit, soon enough in a few games and he was right.

From a get go our players were right at it, full of energy, quick to every ball, confident, really looked like a team who wants to win at all costs. Leipzig was organized and in some parts of the 1st half pinned us back but during the whole game, especially in the last 30 minutes we were a better and a more dangerous team.

All in all just like PSG game this made my day and a week even more than last week. It's such a joy to see us play like that and it just proves how much potential this team has.

One thing which hasnt been pointed enough (as far as I saw) is that our defense has improved. There was an outcry after Chelsea game but barely anyone mentioned how defensively we stopped a dangerous Chelsea team. Same happened last night and even vs PSG too, they werent exactly dangerous, few chances, nothing major. Kudos to Ole for sticking up for Maguire and it paid back.

Kudos to Ole for handling Pogba too, finally he looked up for it yesterday, maybe him starting for the bench last few games got him thinking that he must put in a shift more. Beautiful assist and overall a good, good game.

All team was great, I liked VDB, theres a player there. Martial was fantastic, working his ass the whole game, Shaw and AWB were good too, DDG did what he was asked, barely had anything to do. Matić was the old Matić, everywhere and fixing everything what needed to be fixed on the pitch. Fred was immense again and again it looked there are 3 Freds out there, he was everywhere, doing a great job making plays, connecting passes and ever better defensively. When Bruno came in our game stepped up a notch and we were unstoppable, Leipzig was blown away.

Special mention to Rashford. I got sick seeing all those comments about him being a run merchant or whatever its called, being stupid, average, no better than Welbeck and so on. It seems he needs to prove himself to the haters time and time again and last night he proved himself yet again. A brilliant performance, true modern striker one, he did everything, scored a hattrick and was a huge problem for Leipzig from the second he stepped in. Combine that with his charity work and he's a beautiful human being, a role model and still so young.

Ole, doing really good for a PE teacher. ;)

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I am a bit disappointed by Leipzig, they played the ball around quite nicely in the first half but were completely toothless. Similar to what they looked like against PSG.
It is somehow really funny to see Nagelsmann getting hammered in his clown suits.

Craig Ward

De Gea - excellent. Save from Konate header was superb. And why do we allow players to head from a point blank range? Konate was heading from 2 meters

Bissaka - tremendous defending. Nothing went past him. Still not very efficient going forward, though

Lindelof and Maguire - both didn’t have much to do. Most of the opposition attacks where handled by fullbacks of by Fred

Shaw - good defensively, made a good cross which must have been an assist. Still, Telles’ delivery is much better

Matic - player rather well, but got yellow carded.

Fred - 10/10 performance. If only his passing was better. Still, today’s Fred is essentially a prime Ngolo Kante

Pogba - made a lot of defensive work today. Fabulous assist for Greenwood, but got tired in the end and rightly substituted. Getting fitter gradually which is fine

VDB - not the best of games. He was...well, he was OK. But when Bruno came for him,the game changed immediately.

Greenwood - one chance, one shot, one goal. Efficiency. Rightly subbed as he got tired after not playing for a while.

Martial - had a stinker in the first half. Excellent in the second - earned and scored a penalty, made an assist to Sir Marcus, also had more chances to score

Bruno - fantastic cameo.World class assists, a few more chances created, real playmaker.

Rashford - arise, Sir Marcus.

McTominay - provided energy, decent cameo.

Cavani - not bad, he even scored (But offside). Had only 10 minutes, though.

Tuanzebe - strange substitution. I love Axel, but why to play him as a RB?
Agree with most assessments here, but want to highlight some further points:
De Gea - excellent. Save from Konate header was superb. And why do we allow players to head from a point blank range? Konate was heading from 2 meters - Maguire and Lindelof could play 10/10 but they are both capable of giving at leat one chance away per game - it's just the type of players they are.

Lindelof and Maguire - both didn’t have much to do. Most of the opposition attacks where handled by fullbacks of by Fred - Both perform best when protected. Fred was immense, but to give them credit both defended well. Lindelof is at his best when aggressively pressing to win the ball. They done the simple things good, kept them at bay

Matic - player rather well, but got yellow carded. - The most diabolical yellow card ever. He played well, cant complain about a yellow

Fred - 10/10 performance. If only his passing was better. Still, today’s Fred is essentially a prime Ngolo Kante - His passing is underrated, seems an odd thing to nit pick when he was our best outfield player

Martial - had a stinker in the first half. Excellent in the second - earned and scored a penalty, made an assist to Sir Marcus, also had more chances to score - A stinker? Bit over the top - he done well and was constantly working and getting fouled. He had a good game

Craig Ward

A truly great performance.

I've always said that if all players work hard for each other - we can be a great team.

We are always let down by individual errors and lack of effort.

If we play with that desire we can be a match for anyone. Even Pogba looked like he wanted to contribute instead of his usual lazy self. Great to see.

Bringing quality off the bench is also great to see. A year or so ago we'd be bringing Lingard or Periera on and thats simply our downfall - we now have quality throughout and thats all on Ole for shaping his squad and trimming the deadwood out of the picture.

Still work to do with the squad - we all know the board have let us down for years with transfers but fair play to Ole for picking the morale and squad up after a disaster of a start of season.

Ole deserves praise

Hope the lads keep it up - was a great watch!

Rashford the highlight, but so many positives.

• Fred was immense.
  • AWB solid
  • Donny played and done well - his ball retention and ability to find space is great
  • Pogba looked like a half decent player for a change
  • Greenwood - deadly. Give him a chance and he'll score

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
A truly great performance.

I've always said that if all players work hard for each other - we can be a great team.

We are always let down by individual errors and lack of effort.

If we play with that desire we can be a match for anyone. Even Pogba looked like he wanted to contribute instead of his usual lazy self. Great to see.

Bringing quality off the bench is also great to see. A year or so ago we'd be bringing Lingard or Periera on and thats simply our downfall - we now have quality throughout and thats all on Ole for shaping his squad and trimming the deadwood out of the picture.

Still work to do with the squad - we all know the board have let us down for years with transfers but fair play to Ole for picking the morale and squad up after a disaster of a start of season.

Ole deserves praise

Hope the lads keep it up - was a great watch!

Rashford the highlight, but so many positives.

• Fred was immense.
  • AWB solid
  • Donny played and done well - his ball retention and ability to find space is great
  • Pogba looked like a half decent player for a change
  • Greenwood - deadly. Give him a chance and he'll score
There's no need to be reductive. Credit where credit's due; he was excellent

Craig Ward

There's no need to be reductive. Credit where credit's due; he was excellent
My comment is fair.

He looks half arsed for the majority of the time. Tonight was different - he done well and played with passion.

I am giving him credit. Finally, he's played a game where he looks committed and helped the team.

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
Agree with most assessments here, but want to highlight some further points:
De Gea - excellent. Save from Konate header was superb. And why do we allow players to head from a point blank range? Konate was heading from 2 meters - Maguire and Lindelof could play 10/10 but they are both capable of giving at leat one chance away per game - it's just the type of players they are.

Lindelof and Maguire - both didn’t have much to do. Most of the opposition attacks where handled by fullbacks of by Fred - Both perform best when protected. Fred was immense, but to give them credit both defended well. Lindelof is at his best when aggressively pressing to win the ball. They done the simple things good, kept them at bay

Matic - player rather well, but got yellow carded. - The most diabolical yellow card ever. He played well, cant complain about a yellow

Fred - 10/10 performance. If only his passing was better. Still, today’s Fred is essentially a prime Ngolo Kante - His passing is underrated, seems an odd thing to nit pick when he was our best outfield player

Martial - had a stinker in the first half. Excellent in the second - earned and scored a penalty, made an assist to Sir Marcus, also had more chances to score - A stinker? Bit over the top - he done well and was constantly working and getting fouled. He had a good game
Disagree with your assessment of Maguire and Lindelof about not having very much to do, they were involved a lot, bringing the ball forward, playing smart passes, building attacks from the back. Especially Lindelof driving through the middle into midfield......it was a joy to watch. Then again the whole team played as a unit, everyone was on the same page. Let's hope it keeps going.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
My comment is fair.

He looks half arsed for the majority of the time. Tonight was different - he done well and played with passion.

I am giving him credit. Finally, he's played a game where he looks committed and helped the team.
That's an upgrade on 'half decent,' ..well done!

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Buzzing from last nights performance. Ole got is spot on.

I should learn to ignore the press, but i find it mind boggling that the pundits on ESPN get paid for their opinions. Craig Burnley and Stevie Nichol managed to put a negative spin on last nights game. Seems we were outplayed but won 5-0. No credit to Ole for getting the game prep right, we won because we had more depth on the bench. I mean for fecks sake.

Murray3007

10/10 performance, would go as say the best performance I have seen from united since SAF retired, dominated majority of the match, loved the pressing, tempo was up majority of it, Fred and DVB done it superbly, nicked the ball so many times, AWB superb again, thought defensively we were excellent especially from set pieces considering the size of there side, they were massive, diamond formation seems the way forward with the players we have, Got the subs spot on when he brought on Bruno and Rashford. lets pray for the same v Arsenal as they will try to play the same way RB did last night

Resch

The most important thing is that Ole did not play 2nd class wingers instead of 1st class midfielders and it paid off. Ole has to use the strengths of our team and of our bench to win. Now it is time to keep this team winning, we can not afford to lose or draw this weekend!

Resch

German TV pundits were irritated by the formation and the style we played. Based on the formation, they called it odd, they expected us ultra defensive. What they saw, was an aggressive Manchester United, pressing RBL.

Marcus

I like that the players all finally seem up to speed and so many players not only got minutes for match sharpness, but also contributed so well off the bench. As long as we rotate intelligently and use players sustainably, United will finish the season much stronger than last season. Who knows where this can lead us?

Bestietom

Fantastic result. System really suits us. A bit concerned about Fred's passing but hope he can improve on this. Only good thing is he chases and wins the ball back.

GazTheLegend

I felt in the first half that Leipzig's tactics were actually spot on and their system was working, but it always seemed that we had that little bit more quality than them man for man. Their forward players were awful, but they worked REALLY hard and at times they had 8 players in our half pressing us to the point where we couldn't get out.

But when Bruno and and Rashford came on we were completely and utterly unplayable. Bruno was everywhere and Rashfords performance defies words.

Mark Armstrong

Anybody else shout 'goal' the moment Greenwood received the ball at that tight angle? Such is his class you just expect him to ping those in. Standard.

big rons sovereign

Buzzing from last nights performance. Ole got is spot on.

I should learn to ignore the press, but i find it mind boggling that the pundits on ESPN get paid for their opinions. Craig Burnley and Stevie Nichol managed to put a negative spin on last nights game. Seems we were outplayed but won 5-0. No credit to Ole for getting the game prep right, we won because we had more depth on the bench. I mean for fecks sake.
Who cares about those two arseholes? Just enjoy their misery.

Rolaholic

So turns out RBL is shit.
Why so many posters are so afraid in pre-match thread again?
Well they had only conceded 3 goals in all competitions so far this season before last night and they're presently sitting in first place in Germany.

They're not shite, just we were much better especially in the 2nd half

dalriada

Fantastic win :devil:

Nagelsmann who Tuchel who :wenger:?

On a side note, tbh Nagelsmann looked like a clown in that suite :lol:
I used to have one of those John Collier check jackets in the 1970s. The German media are sniggering about it as well.

You know those souvenir stalls along Warwick Road that used to do a line in Fellaini wigs, do you reckon Nagelsmann stopped off en route and ......?

Strelok

I used to have one of those John Collier check jackets in the 1970s. The German media are sniggering about it as well.

You know those souvenir stalls along Warwick Road that used to do a line in Fellaini wigs, do you reckon Nagelsmann stopped off en route and ......?
Probably if you say so, I'm not English and I'm 35 btw :)

That bloke surely has some fashion issue I think :D

Maticmaker

A very good overall performance, that just grew from workmanlike to flowing (first half) to energetic then stupendous by the end of the game. Talk about the effective use of substitutes, Ole was spot on yesterday!
RB-Leipzig are no mean outfit, so following the away win at PSG, confidence should be sky high, cant wait for Arsenal at weekend!
GGMU!!

johnjoered

Great result against a top team, thought we were fortunate enough to go in 1 up, but the subs changed the match, Bruno just brought class and creativeness to the midfield, his pass for the second goal was genius, and Marcus just brought speed and of course great finishing to the attack. A mention to for Mc Tominay who was far more dynamic than Fred, who did well but for me is still prone to make far too many mistakes, and lacks the creativity needed in midfield. Onwards to Sunday, this team is starting to grow!

Rolaholic

Why pit our own players against each other? They’re not mutually exclusive. Celebrate Rashford AND Martial, not instead of Martial.
Agreed, it's a big pet peeve of mine pitting our own players against each other or using performances of someone as a stick to beat someone else with when having them all in form can only benefit us as a club.

Especially for those 2 in particular when they play so well and compliment each other together perfectly on the pitch

POF

Lots of talk about the diamond but it was 1-0 in 60 minutes with the diamond and 4-0 in 30 minutes with the dreaded 4-2-3-1.

Great to see Rashford so impressive on the right. Gives the squad some great options.

I hope everyone remembers his performance today next time "Rashford can't play on the right" is spouted.

kirk buttercup

we dont look a million miles away from becoming a top team again nights last night show we can put Europes elite to the sword when we click , let's get the consistency and we will challenge again . Rotation is key and with players coming through Like Tuanzebe, Mengi , Laird and also the two Lads we signed over the summer all of a sudden the future doesn't look so Grim . I'm still buzzing how good we were against both PSG and RBL Semi finalists and Finalists of last years CL

HaliRed

Disagree with your assessment of Maguire and Lindelof about not having very much to do, they were involved a lot, bringing the ball forward, playing smart passes, building attacks from the back. Especially Lindelof driving through the middle into midfield......it was a joy to watch. Then again the whole team played as a unit, everyone was on the same page. Let's hope it keeps going.
Agreed, Lindelof had a great time bringing the ball up the field last night and this helped beat the Leipzig press.. The key I thought, was Matic.

Every time you saw Lindelof or Maguire moving up the pitch, you could see Matic dropping back to cover for them. He is such a smart player for us. As wonderful as McFred are in pressing and harassing the opposition, this awareness is what Matic brings that McFred currently don't at this point in their careers.

Can7onA

The bit that pleased me the most was how we dealt with their press, it normally panics the shit out of our defenders but we dealt with it really well.

Danillaco

Great assist from Martial for the hattrick, by the way. They are a great partnership, not at odds with each other.

Man of the Match

Marcus Rashford image Marcus Rashford 81% of 440 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 447 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • RB Leipzig win
  • Draw