EL W Europa League Round of 32 1st Leg

Real Sociedad 0:4 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 18 February 2021

croadyman

This match confirmed my theory that we're good if we get afforded space. If teams set up shop and park the bus, we struggle.

PL teams have learned that all they need to do is play a compact defense and hit us on the counter or pump a cross in the box and we're as vulnerable as it gets. Let's see if Ole will address this. He can start by playing Henderson instead of De Gea
Yeah we still need to show more patience when it comes to breaking down rather than the panic hoofing we saw against WBA. I would expect Sunday to be a totally different game to this and could do with an early goal for them to come out more.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Real Sociedad made surprisingly so many crazy mistakes but we have exploited their mistakes and they were really lucky that it only was a 4-0 win for us.

And by the way we should play more matches in Turin (We have won three times in a row against Juventus in Turin too) :D

Last edited:

cyril C

Why don’t we play like that every game?!!
Obviously you only read the score line but not watching the game.

If you switched on your TV 3 min late, then yes we would have been impressive. But scoreline could easily be 2-1 after 3 MIN!

Before Bruno was gifted a Liverpooler, I recall Rashford missed 3 chances 10y in front of goal, so it could easily be 2-3 in our favour.

In short, it was another typical MU night, sloppy at the back, wasteful in front, but luckily they were not Seville or Leipzig or any better team, so we were given time to settle until a Liverpooler gift that open the scoresheet.

norm87cro

Bruno obviously MOTM. Despite the missed chances Rashford contributed to 3 out of 4 goals. Getting just 3% on the CAF is a little harsh

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Why only 10 mins for Amad and why was he playing on the left side?

tomaldinho1

If you switched on your TV 3 min late, then yes we would have been impressive. But scoreline could easily be 2-1 after 3 MIN!

Before Bruno was gifted a Liverpooler, I recall Rashford missed 3 chances 10y in front of goal, so it could easily be 2-3 in our favour.

In short, it was another typical MU night, sloppy at the back, wasteful in front, but luckily they were not Seville or Leipzig or any better team, so we were given time to settle until a Liverpooler gift that open the scoresheet.
Not sure which game you watched. I agree they were poor and at a basic level their defence was unbelievably naive to the pace of our forwards but we were completely in control of that game. Felt like we sat in gear 2 all night and was a professional performance against an inferior team.

Andy_Cole

Bruno obviously MOTM. Despite the missed chances Rashford contributed to 3 out of 4 goals. Getting just 3% on the CAF is a little harsh
Those sitters are so frustrating.

I think we need to keep him deep. Sensational assister but can’t finish. Get him away from those chances and push Bruno forward towards them.

Skåre Willoch

Were we really that sloppy in the back, though? After the first 3 minutes, I think we were quite solid. Obviously they got to some half-decent opportunities, but nothing major really. I thought the back line did very well, and Telles had a good showing as a contributor from the LB. Bailly also did well, even though he's still quite reckless at times.

Edit: Also, it was very nice actually having a goalie who left his line regularly to clean up those in-between the lines crosses. Very vocal as well, almost to the extent of feeling weird with no fans in the stands. Proper shouting! :lol: He almost had an assist, and did get a "hockey assist" (being third last on the ball) didn't he?

daveoliver91

Great performance yesterday. If we are critics when we lose, we need to give credit to the team and the manager when we get a nice & comfortable win. All the players did an excellent job, even the subs when they came.

Let's keep playing this way on the weekend!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Were we really that sloppy in the back, though? After the first 3 minutes, I think we were quite solid. Obviously they got to some half-decent opportunities, but nothing major really. I thought the back line did very well, and Telles had a good showing as a contributor from the LB. Bailly also did well, even though he's still quite reckless at times.

Edit: Also, it was very nice actually having a goalie who left his line regularly to clean up those in-between the lines crosses. Very vocal as well, almost to the extent of feeling weird with no fans in the stands. Proper shouting! :lol: He almost had an assist, and did get a "hockey assist" (being third last on the ball) didn't he?
3 minutes of sloppiness cost us a place in the UCL second stage. It’s cost us valuable points in the PL that is now seeing City stroll to the title.

We need to admit that the defence is a weak point in our squad. Whether it’s 3 or 15 minutes, we give teams opportunities to attack and score through an inability to concentrate,control and see out games. There was another example last night when at a RS free kick, Maguire dropped off the line just as he did against Everton. We just never learn

Excellent performance but we were also flattered by a terrible opponent.

MacarisSocks

Why only 10 mins for Amad and why was he playing on the left side?
You'd hope United wouid use comfortable leads like this to bring the kid on earlier and guage his potential. Could save us £M's on a right-winger.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

You'd never think we'd just watched possibly our best performance of the season after reading your post.

Reads like a rival fan who hates United trying everything he can to avoid giving any credit.

Skåre Willoch

3 minutes of sloppiness cost us a place in the UCL second stage. It’s cost us valuable points in the PL that is now seeing City stroll to the title.

We need to admit that the defence is a weak point in our squad. Whether it’s 3 or 15 minutes, we give teams opportunities to attack and score through an inability to concentrate,control and see out games. There was another example last night when at a RS free kick, Maguire dropped off the line just as he did against Everton. We just never learn
It's unrealistic to not concede a single chance against top opposition. Of course opponents will get a chance or two every game, even more mediocre opposition usually will, both against us and against City. Expecting different is simply unrealistic. Against WBA the main problem wasn't conceding a goal, it was our total inability to create anything for the 90 minutes following the goal. Hence the endless "we can't break down low block teams" discussions.

I think we were solid yesterday. We kept a clean sheet to prove it. You disagree, and that's fair, but in my opinion very harsh.

I'm not saying the defense isn't a problem in general, just to be clear. But it certainly wasn't a problem yesterday.

Dve

Spanish teams are not very good at the moment, are they. Sevilla losing at home to Dortmund, Barcelona getting smashed by PSG and RM having struggles on their own. And Real Sociedad, well.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Excellent performance but we were also flattered by a terrible opponent.
Expected more from them. They were set up very naively. We took advantage of it and means we can rest some players next week ready for Chelsea. Alright they play on Tuesday, but it will be a tough game against Atletico and they cannot rest players.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Spanish teams are not very good at the moment, are they. Sevilla losing at home to Dortmund, Barcelona getting smashed by PSG and RM having struggles on their own. And Real Sociedad, well.
All comes back around doesn’t it? Wasn’t that long ago Real and Barca were dominating in the CL, Sevilla were winning the EL every year and English teams were nowhere near. Then suddenly we had all English CL and EL finals, United got their arse in gear and now English sides are on the up. Football is cyclical, just hope we can take advantage.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Granada beat Napoli and Villarreal had no problems with Salzburg.

Danillaco

Very good performance. MCFred combo was excellent and the forwards were fantastic.

Surprised there was so much space to exploit even though we knew RS would have more possession.

Best thing is that some of the players will surely get a rest before the Chelsea game next week.
McFred can only fully work when they don't have the keep constant tabs and LindeGuire. Bailly gives a whole other dynamic. If only we could get a top CB, who is also fast and skilled, but more realiabe in regard to injuries.

It's clear as day.

cyril C

If you have watched the game, the entire game not just highlight, then let's talk.

Within 3 MIN, and I do mean 180 seconds, RS had 2 goal attempts on us, including a punch through into our box with Henderson 1-on-1 and a CB breathing at 1m away. It was that close. Rashford also had a solo run into the box with a poorly taken opportunity. We lost to Leizip in the 1st few min, and I recalled we lost to Seveille also with some easy lapse at the back.

After that scary 3min we were much better composed at the back, and in front as well, except for Rashford to waste 2 more chances.

My point was, a nice victory, but don't get carry away. It was not as easy as the Southampton or Leeds game, but our problem remains - lapse at the back even for few minutes, wasteful in front of goal, same old same old.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
its possible to enjoy a good victory without also getting carried away

bsCallout

If you have watched the game, the entire game not just highlight, then let's talk.

Within 3 MIN, and I do mean 180 seconds, RS had 2 goal attempts on us, including a punch through into our box with Henderson 1-on-1 and a CB breathing at 1m away. It was that close. Rashford also had a solo run into the box with a poorly taken opportunity. We lost to Leizip in the 1st few min, and I recalled we lost to Seveille also with some easy lapse at the back.

After that scary 3min we were much better composed at the back, and in front as well, except for Rashford to waste 2 more chances.

My point was, a nice victory, but don't get carry away. It was not as easy as the Southampton or Leeds game, but our problem remains - lapse at the back even for few minutes, wasteful in front of goal, same old same old.
You've got to be on a wind up? Adnan chance was far from easy, hardly vulnerable, slight mistake form Bailly but no real risk. We then should have gone 1-0 up with the easiest chance of the 3 with Rashford. They they had another shot where the angle was against the player and it was an easy save for our keeper because it wasn't an easy chance.

Bailly has been out for God knows how long and perhaps wasn't match sharp, that is all. Other than that it was comfortable with good defending all round.

All teams concede chances during a game.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Bruno majestic again, our best signing since Rooney at this point you have to say.
Certainly the most influential. He has a winning mentality which feeds through into the rest of the team. Will never give up and always pushing to win. Something we have missed from a long time.

Green_Red

Still only 6 pages in. So little positivity from our fanbase. Personally I think most of the accounts that come on here and post negativity after games aren't United fans and its ruining the forum. Far more negative than when I first joined up.

Good result last night. Bit of a bounce back from some poor league form. Hopefully that signals the start of another run of form, we need it. Ties not over yet though.

United Junkie

Nice victory. I enjoyed the match. But Amad should've at least gotten 20 minutes of gametime.

Andersons Dietician

Thought Real Sociedad played some really nice stuff at times. I’m not sure if we really played that well but still did enough to beat them. Just exposed a weakness and they played in to our hands.

They opened us up a good few times.

Withnail

Good performance and I thought Real Sociedad offered very little. Although after reading this thread I apparently missed their best moments as I had trouble finding a stream. I must have just missed it as the first thing the commentator said was 'it could be 2-1'

I thought Henderson was a breath of fresh air in goal, coming for crosses and quickly getting the ball to one of the Fred to set up a counter to great effect for Rashford's goal. De Gea just never seems to do this even when it's clearly on. He just needs to get a run in the team now. I don't see any reason to have De Gea ahead of him.

Bruno obviously man of the match, McT made some great runs and could have scored, Maguire/Bailly much the preferred partnership, Rashford aside from his struggles was involved in all three goals and took the third well.

It was good to see James play well and get another goal. Diallo showed some nice touches when he came on and it he made that far post run for James goal which none of our forwards seem to do but he's is still very lightweight. I think we'll only see him in short cameos like this between now and the Summer and he may not play a huge amount in the PL at all til he bulks up a bit.

OleTheGreat

I loved that Amad got a run-in. The second half performance was much better than the first. Once again I tell you, we are a wonderful team on counter-attacks and transition play, our problem arises only when we have to break low blocks. Bailly and Henderson were top-notch. Bruno was back to his best. Rashford ran into defenders without actually thinking ahead a bit but I always like it when he dribbles facing the defenders, he tries a lot with both his feet these days, and those tricks sometimes push the ball away from him but he'll get better at it if he keeps doing that. Martial did ok when he came on as well. Danny James works ever so hard even if on his bad days and we as United fans must love that. Henderson definitely deserves a run of games ahead of De Gea.

Amad has a great future at United and I love the fact that he has the number 19 on his back, which was formerly donned by Rashford. Amad must slowly be integrated into the team because like Greenwood, Fati (Barcelona), Saka (Arsenal) he has great potential and can do big things at this age itself. In fact, I think he can be as good as Mbappe, Haaland. Come on Ole, play him for 60 mins in the return leg. It's not like we going to lose anything.

Andersons Dietician

Good performance and I thought Real Sociedad offered very little. Although after reading this thread I apparently missed their best moments as I had trouble finding a stream. I must have just missed it as the first thing the commentator said was 'it could be 2-1'

I thought Henderson was a breath of fresh air in goal, coming for crosses and quickly getting the ball to one of the Fred to set up a counter to great effect for Rashford's goal. De Gea just never seems to do this even when it's clearly on. He just needs to get a run in the team now. I don't see any reason to have De Gea ahead of him.

Bruno obviously man of the match, McT made some great runs and could have scored, Maguire/Bailly much the preferred partnership, Rashford aside from his struggles was involved in all three goals and took the third well.

It was good to see James play well and get another goal. Diallo showed some nice touches when he came on and it he made that far post run for James goal which none of our forwards seem to do but he's is still very lightweight. I think we'll only see him in short cameos like this between now and the Summer and he may not play a huge amount in the PL at all til he bulks up a bit.
On the throw out point, I always wondered why this isn’t something that is used that often. Haven’t really seen it since Pete who would launch the ball further than some can kick it.
However I have noticed recently DeGea has been doing a lot more of it.

If only he’d come for crosses and then launch it immediately.

GoldTrafford99

The great part of this convincing first-leg win is that it gives us a chance to offer a first start for Diallo or Shoretire and to see some of our fringe players for the return leg...

We really need a rest... just look at our fixtures.. it's insane. Ole has a tendency to go so far in every cup competition... I'm no complaining, but it doesn't help our overall aim.

Super exited about the whole set up Ole is building... But the absolute fact remains that we need to sort out that defensive line.. A partner for Maguire (so he can return to his trusty right side of central defence where he played brilliantly for Leicetser) and a shielder of a midfielder who would compliment McTom beside him would be ideal for the Premier League. The two signings I'd make to instantly shore up our defence would be Declan Rice and Jonny Evans. I know Jonny would need replacing in 2 seasons but we can NOT afford to breed in another foreign defender such as a Bailly or Lindelof... I am fine for breeding players into other positions, But we need to plaster over the crack our our defensive deficiencies...

And with Rise and McTom in midfield with Bruno ahead of them would see us dominate the engine room for many years to come...

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Sociedad played exactly in the way that suits us best. Lots of space and also weak/slow defenders to cover the space. We should have scored few more, missed some very easy chances but this is awesome first leg result.

Withnail

On the throw out point, I always wondered why this isn’t something that is used that often. Haven’t really seen it since Pete who would launch the ball further than some can kick it.
However I have noticed recently DeGea has been doing a lot more of it.

If only he’d come for crosses and then launch it immediately.
You'd think it would be a no -brainer.

The amount of times I've seen our players on their bikes after De Gea's gathered the ball only for him to stand their seemingly waiting for the opposition to get back into their defensive shape before releasing the ball.

Skåre Willoch

Feck off with that condescending tone. Read my post properly, or shut up.

I literally said we were solid after the first 3 minutes. Then you try to create something of nothing by following up with "After that scary 3min we were much better composed at the back". Which is LITERALLY what I just said.

Get your shite together, read my posts properly, then let's talk.

Maticmaker

Although the opposition was not up to much, it was a good heart-warming result on a foreign field.
I thought the combination of McTominay and Fred did very well, only one heart stopping moment when Fred nearly set them off, losing the ball in the wrong place, but otherwise these two worked hard to make sure David Silva barely got a kick, first half especially.
I liked the interchangeability up front, Bruno playing the 'false' CF role, then it was Rashford, then again Greenwood, thought that ploy worked really well, or at least better than any of our front three(whoever) have done recently.

James had a good game too, he may lack a range of skills, but he's dammed fast and he's finding out how to finish again. Given the right balls in the right areas he can do massive damage, as he showed with the fourth goal.

I probably wont be popular but I do think Henderson needs a proper run now in the first team, at times last night he was bellowing at his defenders, giving them the 'heads up' as well as indicating when he was coming for the ball. He seems much more 'in tune' with the defenders than David is especially at corners and other set pieces and he's not afraid to climb all over our players as well as the opposition (as Alex Telles will testify) to get to the ball. (For those old enough to remember shades of Harry Gregg there!).

A good watch last night, hope it doesn't take the shine of the return at OT next week!

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 76% of 279 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 256 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Real Sociedad win
  • Draw