EL W Europa League Round of 32 1st Leg

Real Sociedad 0:4 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 18 February 2021

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Now I can sit back and relax while watching the 2nd leg.

Then again i thought the same against against everton at half time :wenger:, luckily we're 4 nil up instead of 2 nil!

Tony247

Amad linked up with Bruno will be another level entertainment

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Glad for James, did really well. Really good performance, gives us a chance to rest a few next week.

redom

4 goals and a clean sheet, just what the doctor ordered.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Oh, the good news is we can use the second leg as a tune up for the Chelsea league game. Rest those who would benefit from it, and play those who need the minutes or to find form.

wolvored

Great win. Some good performances. Rashford needs to work on his finishing though. Why did Ole bring Mata on who is off in the summer and not bring on shortire? Thats the only thing wrong tonight.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Top performance that, and gives us the opportunity to rest a few next week.

James very close to my MOTM, worked his socks off and was effective when he got on the ball as well.

Nice cameo for Amad with a nice dribble, expect to see a lot more of him next week.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Pissed it. Once we found our groove going forward, it could’ve been 9-0 again.

credit to Henderson for starting the counter for the 3rd goal. Keep him as number one.

Ludens the Red

Throughly Enjoyed that.

didn’t know what Sociedad were about but after five mins I knew we’d win comfortably.
playing an open and expansive game against this United team is ludicrous. Even pep and Man City tone it down massively against us. And these mugs thought they could play like that and get awaywith it :lol:

RedDevilRoshi

Great win and performance.

Puts the tie to bed and allows us to rest a lot of our 1st team players for the return leg and give our reserves/youngsters a game.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Probably should have won about 6-0 some really poor finishing on show. Still a great result good chance to rotate for the return leg.

And of course by rotate I mean start Amad Diallo!

Yagami

Good post resistant
I expressed my concerns when we initially drew them so, safe to say, that was an impressive performance. Credit to Ole and the players for making it seem like a walk in the park!

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Fantastic performance that. Absolutely killed them on the counter all day. Such a shame we fecked it up vs Istanbul, we would actually be pretty well set to compete in the CL imo.
Yeah. I really thought we were going to do something in the CL this season. I think we'd have done some damage in the knockouts.

Red & White

Really enjoyed that! Great performance and a very good result. Looking forward to a similar line up next week with a few more fringe players involved. Well played, lads!

EliotTheRed

Excellent result! Could’ve been even more but 4-0 away from home is brilliant, it’ll allow us to rotate a couple of players in the second leg too.

Teja

Almost everyone was good. You can nitpick and point to a couple of Bailly errors early on in the game and the Rashford misses but I think they played really well after we scored the first one.

On a side note, I don't think James really ever got a run in the squad after Bruno came in - feels like one of those players that could work well in combination with Bruno.

Art

Art the artist
Really could've had a run in the Champions League if we didn't feck it up in the group stages. Today we were a level or two above Europa League opposition.

Irwin99

Very good performance. MCFred combo was excellent and the forwards were fantastic.

Surprised there was so much space to exploit even though we knew RS would have more possession.

Best thing is that some of the players will surely get a rest before the Chelsea game next week.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Great to watch. Those first 5 minutes were fecking bonkers. Bailly is a heart attack personified.

We always seem to struggle against Spanish opposition, glad we put an end to that.

MonkeysMagic

Much stronger side then expected, some good goals and would like to think that a few players will get confidence boost...only Sunday will tell whether we can get tge PL season back on track.

Bertie Wooster

Absolutely loved that.

Everything about that was perfect - great team selection from Ole, great performance, brilliant result. And able to take off Fernandes and Rashford and give time to Amad. Fantastic nights work.

And next week, now that the hard work is done, we should be able to give more time to Amad, and leave the likes of Fernandes and Rashford on the bench just in case the absolute unthinkable happens.

Delighted with that.

Siorac

Yeah. I really thought we were going to do something in the CL this season. I think we'd have done some damage in the knockouts.
Hard to see that, considering our record in big games this season. And, well, we had the chance to do some damage against PSG and Leipzig and fecked it up.

This Sociedad team is clearly inferior to any of the sides in the last 16 of the CL. And I'm very happy that we took full advantage of that, it was a very enjoyable night but I don't think it says anything about our hypothetical chances in the CL knockouts.

Devil may care

Very good performance, we could have ended up with another Southampton score line! :D

The movement of the front 4 was great and I thought McTominay was attacking well in the first half while Bruno was fundamental to everything going forward and I'd argue this was Dan James best all round game in a United shirt.

Okey

Excellent. Should have won by more but 4 will do nicely. Chance to give fringe players minutes next week. We're still missing a beat in our general team play. Hoping for an uptick at the weekend. Well done lads!

Rustyspider13

Superb second half. Great performances all over the pitch. Some quality passes from Rashford, Bailly and Fred for the goals. Very happy that James got on the score sheet, deserves it for the shift he put in.

Shoutout to Maguire and Dean who were rock solid today. Amad showed some nice footwork. Both he and Shoretire should get minutes in the second leg, which looks to be a formality.

RashyForPM

These guys don’t get battered, and are known for being solid and exciting at the same time in Spain with Oyarzabal, Silva and Isak. Tonight, we made them look decidedly poor, and I have no complaints about any individual United player after this game. Dean has to be first choice now. He saves when he needs to, he catches when he needs to, he punches when he needs to and he barks out orders like a goalkeeping Roy Keane. What more could you want? Been banging on about this now, I want him to be our main keeper for the next 15 years. Well done to Dan James too, much maligned, but he played brilliantly and deserved his goal.

On the whole, great performance throughout, and let’s be honest, we’re through and I’m sure all of us, Ole and the players know it. Rest players in the second leg and give Amad and James 90 minutes each. Loved that dribble by Amad at the end as well. Cherry on top of the cake.

Robertd0803

Much more like it. Nice way to end that stupid statistic vs Spanish sides as well.

Great to see Diallo making his debut.

croadyman

Wow, that was easy.

Happy for Dan James, goal and an assist and one ruled out. There's still hope he can develop into a regular first teamer.

Would have liked to see more Amad and Shoretire should've come on.
Yeah there is a little frustration that Shoretire didn't get a few mins considering the lead that we had going into last 25 and also longer for Amad as well

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Kamikaze stuff from Sociedad. Have they ever seen us play football?! Wild stuff.

Anyway good on us from taking advantage of it (though we should have scored a couple more).

Amad MOTM.

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 76% of 279 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 256 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Real Sociedad win