EL W Europa League Round of 32 1st Leg

Real Sociedad 0:4 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 18 February 2021

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You can see why Ole plays Bruno and Rashford and didn’t rest one of his midfield for Matic because he wants to finish it off so he can rotate more to rest more players for the Chelsea game. Job done.

Red4Life_#7

Very good match. Our counter-attacks are incredible and seem to be improving all the time.

Nice to see Diallo get his debut, he is a lot quicker than I thought he was, it shows highlights don't always tell the full picture.

Great team performance.

Blood Mage

Bruno majestic again, our best signing since Rooney at this point you have to say.

stu_1992

Fantastic second half in particular and great result all around. My only complaint would be that I would have looked to make subs as soon as that 3rd goal went in and probably a few more after the second to be honest.

Fernandes and Rashford impressive, but need to give special praise to James as he was very good tonight. I said before the game started that I hoped he took his chance tonight as I thought there were encoraging signs in his most recent infrequent cameos. He was involved in so many good moves and comes away with a very nice goal and an assist.

Shame Amad didn't come on earlier so that we could have seen a bit more of him. Poor lad barely got a touch of teh ball, had to wait ages to get hist first one. I was feeling bad for him and I can't recall feeling like that before. Particularily in a game where you're winning 4-0!

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Honestly thought Sociedad were going to put up more of a fight. They were one of the more fancied teams left in the competition, so to brush them aside so easily is very satisfying. Good solid performance all round. Should have been another 9-0 to be honest. Great to see Fernandes boosting his open play goals tally.

MU655

Very good performance. Complete control, although Bailly did his best at the start to make it more of a challenge.

Jericholyte2

This is another match where we could well have got 7 or 8. Imagine where we'd be with a consistent clinical striker!

tjb

Excellent result and performance. Tactics were spot on, and we really could have scored 8 tonight - which if there is a downside it would be our finishing again.

McTominay was impressive. Stand out player for me, but everyone played well really.

Get to rest players for the 2nd leg now. Superb
We really need to get him into a role where he can drive more often, almost seems like a perfect box to box player. We need a DM to allow this to happen.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Good performance and win but it has to be said Sociedad facilitated us by the way they set up. They were wide open, played a high line all game & paid the price. Good to see Diallo at last.

Roane

Really good performance and win

Thoroughly enjoyed the match. Excellent from start to finish

Only note kf caution I have is that it was like the Leeds match, caution being that we were given space and we utilised the counter very well (something we have done against almost all teams who have come to play rather than sit back). Its teams who sit back and counter us we have had problems with.

abailey123

very good performance tonight. Starting Bailly just allows us to play that extra couple of yards up the pitch.
Very impressed with Dan James. He worked his socks off and to come away with a goal and assist, he should be delighted.

Skåre Willoch

Very good game by all involved. Much needed, and makes next week a lot radioer to navigate ahead of the Chelsea game.

mattsville

Great result, don't know why they played such a high line and were not more compact, they must have been confident in their own style but they got smashed, deeper defensive line and you nearly nullify our attack as the likes of Rashford is clueless when he has to make a decision and cannot use his pace, not complaining though, it was a tough draw and now we can rotate, hope McT is ok he has a very good match, James showed he defo has a use in this squad, naive setup by them but we still had to do our jobs all over the pitch and we did, love the assurance of Bailly's pace at the back, wrap in cotton wool.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I know all that, but instead saying great game, great result, he goes and writes that? 5 mins after the game?!
I guess if he wrote it like above, there would be not enough likes, retweets or comments. It is all about that you know.
Precisely. Wanted to be smart and pull that away stats (since that's all he had tonight), but the result ruined it, so he made an absolute mess out of it looking like he is 3 bottles of vodka in by the end of tweet.

MrBest

Really wanted to see more of Amad and less of Martial. Can't complain with the result and game though, Ole probably should of taken Bruno off after 65 mins when we were 3 up. Easy game, good result, let's see which team turns up on Sunday.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Smashfest of a win and despite Ole suggesting we were fortunate to roll out with such a win, we were anything but.

Rashy missed 2 or 3, and a few others too.

SuperiorXI

Great result, don't know why they played such a high line and were not more compact, they must have been confident in their own style but they got smashed, deeper defensive line and you nearly nullify our attack as the likes of Rashford is clueless when he has to make a decision and cannot use his pace, not complaining though, it was a tough draw and now we can rotate, hope McT is ok he has a very good match, James showed he defo has a use in this squad, naive setup by them but we still had to do our jobs all over the pitch and we did, love the assurance of Bailly's pace at the back, wrap in cotton wool.
Have to say if you're a Sociedad fan you'd be upset with the manager and the team... they set up in a way that allowed us to play our game. We were in our comfort zone in that game.

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
I thought that we played well. The Europa League gets slated, but I prefer it in many ways to the Champions League.

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid
A job done very well.

2nd best in the Premier League v the 5th best in La Liga and it showed tonight. Sociedad simply could cope with Uniteds pace and movement and could easily have scored 8 but won't complain about a 4-0 win which allows a 2nd string side for the 2nd leg in Old Trafford.
To be honest, with their form of the past set of months, I wouldn't be surprised if their latest results average would have them 10-15th in LaLiga, they're almost as lost as Valencia at the moment. With their start to the season in mind it's really sad to see.

Still, for the return, some players can be rested but I wouldn't put on a full B-list. You never know when they get their schwung back, even if the lead is humongous already.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Real Sociedad coach is United's MoM.

Absolutely played to our strengths. United were superb to take advantage. Should have been a few more with more clinical finishing. This result will give some much needed week off for most players.

manichester

They played into our strength, maybe they thought of catching us early with a quick goal. Good to see the ball moved quickly and with purpose.

Zlatans Knee

On top of that:
It's a nice stat but it is also an unfair comparison seeing as they play in different positions. I don't want to belittle the accomplishment but Scholes did that playing as a CM, and he did not take any pens. Bruno is more of a forward than a midfielder.

Glorio

Oh and the passing through midfield was brilliant and crisp today - even Bruno at his riskiest found his man just about every time, Fred hardly turned over the ball either.

Glorio

It's a nice stat but it is also an unfair comparison seeing as they play in different positions. I don't want to belittle the accomplishment but Scholes did that playing as a CM, and he did not take any pens. Bruno is more of a forward than a midfielder.
Scholes played as a second striker at the time didn't he?

justsomebloke

I tried to follow Diallo particularly, and must say I really liked what I saw. Two very good runs - one that was easy to miss because the ball was still well inside our own half and was lost just as the attempt was made for the pass, the other on James' goal, where he got himself in a pretty good position to pick up a pass or rebound. Couple of lovely sequences with the ball, and got involved defensively too, picking up a player in a dangerous position just outside the box, and on other occasions cutting off the right passing lanes.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Why don’t we play like that every game?!!
Defensively we do! Teams tend to take greater advantage than RS. AWB again caught ball watching and Bailly slow start.
Yes we grew into it and dominated but let’s be honest here, the defence is a weak point that will cost us.

Great result all the same and great to see Amad on as well as good finishes from James and Rash

GreatDane

Enough complaining about Shoretire or Amad not getting any or enough time - the travel with the team was their experience, its not FM.
OT, great game - rest the tired and play the 2nd team for the next leg.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Scholes played as a second striker at the time didn't he?
Scholes did indeed play a similar role to Bruno's behind van Nistelrooy in the 2002/03 season.

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 76% of 279 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 256 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Real Sociedad win
  • Draw