EL D Europa League Round of 32 2nd Leg

Manchester United 0:0 Real Sociedad

Post-match discussion

Thu, 25 February 2021

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I was sort of excited to see Tuanzebe in midfield, however it did not go well. Once Fred was gone their midfield took control. It was a good thought but needs a lot of work before that's tried again. I was also excited to see Greenwood take Bruno's spot, alas our midfield just couldn't get him the ball though.

Hopefully we get an easy draw for the next round.

FatherWolff

World Class Club management! World Class! Find me anything like it, and ill shit up! :devil::devil:

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
What a waste of minutes used on martial. Would rather someone like hugill got them.

Martial must have some blackmail on Ole. Also noticed that the bromance between him and Bruno has gone this season.

Almost as if Bruno gave up on martial and now it shows with his awful numbers this year.
There was a point early in the first half when Sociedad had a corner and Bruno shouted at Martial to move and mark a player. Like a coach does to a 10 yr old.

If Hugill carries on scoring, he'll get a chance but as Ole has shown with Amad and Shoretire, it'll be carefully managed and minutes at a time. Not thrown in for 90 minutes.

Fitchett

Job done. Regulars rested, fringe and young players got minutes. A good night all round. Happy birthday Ole. Roll on Sunday.

Scholsey2004

Dead rubber really. Job done and a bit of a chance to experiment with a few players.

Infra-red

The phrase "bore draw" was made for games like this. We barely got out of second gear, which, to be fair, is understandable (given the aggregate scoreline and our upcoming fixtures).

Still, not exactly a thrilling way to spend the evening!

Basa1987

Wake me wh.....oh it's finished!
Is that what she said?

Comfortable game, but in my opinion Ole could have been braver in the 2nd half. No idea why Rashford was needed or even Bruno for that matter. And if Tuanzebe or Brandon can't start these games, that doesn't bode well for their long term futures under Ole.

SplitzMagic

There was a point early in the first half when Sociedad had a corner and Bruno shouted at Martial to move and mark a player. Like a coach does to a 10 yr old.

If Hugill carries on scoring, he'll get a chance but as Ole has shown with Amad and Shoretire, it'll be carefully managed and minutes at a time. Not thrown in for 90 minutes.
I remember when Bruno joined he seemed to have so much love for Martial. But it's literally as if he gave up on him because it hasn't been the same this season.

Martial has really bought time at utd and he shows zero desire for anything. There was a chance that Greenwood put in the box for him I think and hes just soo off the pace it's unbelievable. No urgency to get onto any balls and he's even worse on the wing.

I just can't help but feel he hit jackpot with the last contract and now he's just not bothered and doing a bale at Madrid. We have put up with this for way too long and I know for sure if it were fergie as manager martial would be sat in Ligue 1 playing for Rennes or something by now.

Glad you spotted Bruno do that because it's telling that Bruno has given up already. He sees him day in day out and as a perfectionist I can imagine he just doesn't trust martial anymore.

I would happily swap martial for someone with hunger like Harvey Barnes.

fps

This was a game of football that happened.

And in which Lindelöf briefly morphed into Air fecking Jordan.
It was like he’d saved up all his jumps from the past year and a half.

croadyman

Lindelof was lucky he didn't knock the bloke clean out, amazes me that some thought the goal should have stood with that level of contact

croadyman

The game was a little reminiscent of when we won the league at Blackburn in 2011 and neither team looked bothered about scoring

chb23

Glad I only watched the replay of it. Meant I could skip 95% of the match and save time :)

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The game was a little reminiscent of when we won the league at Blackburn in 2011 and neither team looked bothered about scoring
Well the lad who took the penalty certainly looked like he wasn’t arsed

Maticmaker

Passage through to next round, a 'run out' for a couple of squad players and another few precious minutes for the kids; otherwise it was 'without much incident'. Glad I didn't have to fork out for a ticket, or the costs involved in travelling to OT.

Watching on BT I kept threatening to go and empty the dishwasher, or to put the bins out, but I never did, still kept watching and waiting. Axel's 'no goal' and Lindelof's 'fosbury flop' was a high spot, also Bruno hitting the bar, and Dean coming out to the edge of his box once or twice to gather the ball cleanly (David take note please, that's how its done!). There were one or two small 'cameos' from the kids and also Greenwood's magical dribble were he stayed on his feet, beat four men and still got a free kick!

Otherwise 94 minutes we will never get back!

Doracle

Bringing Marcus on last night was utterly baffling and an entirely unnecessary risk with the fixtures we have coming up. If he’d got injured then Ole would have been deservedly slaughtered.

I think Ole is doing a good job generally but Bruno and Rashford should have been entirely absent in this game. Lucky that they both came through unscathed. Diallo and Shoretire should both have got longer run outs.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I was doing my weekly quiz so only half watched the game... felt like I didn't miss out on much by not giving it my full attention.

If only the commentators had talked about what cartoon Officer Dibble or the EU founding members though... could have got me some more points.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I was doing my weekly quiz so only half watched the game... felt like I didn't miss out on much by not giving it my full attention.

If only the commentators had talked about what cartoon Officer Dibble or the EU founding members though... could have got me some more points.
Was Officer Dibble the answer to the question or what was the question about Officer Dibble?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Nice showcase for the United academy.

Henderson
Williams
Tuanzebe
Rashford
Shoretire
Greenwood

all on the pitch at one time or another. McT could have been involved had he been fit as well.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Nice showcase for the United academy.

Henderson
Williams
Tuanzebe
Rashford
Shoretire
Greenwood

all on the pitch at one time or another. McT could have been involved had he been fit as well.
Could Arsenal point to that too? I mean we always hear about their 'kids' and the revolution that's taking place there. :wenger:

Doracle

Given Matic played the full match last night, we must be confident McT will be ready for this one.

My instinct tells me Ole will start James ahead of Greenwood and the only other question is then whether Cavani is fit to replace Martial.

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 149 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Real Sociedad win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Man Utd 2:1 Real Sociedad
  • 17% Man Utd 2:0 Real Sociedad