CL L Champions League Round of 16 2nd Leg

Manchester United 1:2 Sevilla

Post-match discussion

Tue, 13 March 2018

UDontMessWith24

The day after United get knocked out of Europe should be a Holliday in England. More people celebrate it than Christmas.

Andersons Dietician

Remember when everyone was slagging off Spurs for losing to one of the best teams in Europe (Juventus) and going out of the champions league. I wonder how those people feel now. Karma, I feel they share a major part in the loss as well. Just had to run your mouths didn’t you, tempted fate:nono:

Greck

Huge gut punch when the commentator saw us mess up attacks and said something along the lines of 'that's why City are so far ahead (on the table)'. Don't think our football last night was representative of our level or the other English teams in general.

The strategy of setting up to stop the opposition when we play inferior teams seems to be producing some really ugly attacking performances. Jose needs to take the advice he gives his mifielders and stop complicating things. Reminds me of how we dropped deep to lure out a 10-man Leicester in a game we were already controlling only to concede the equaliser. Why opt for a chess move when a basic checker move will suffice a given scenario

sully1

Invite teams on to you and eventually you get found out. Absolutely embarrassing and Jose is a coward, all that attacking talent at the club and you force them to play like that. He should be ashamed
Most important thing to learn for Mourinho. 170 minutes of football eventually they will find a way to score if you sit back and let them control the game in your half.

Mourinho needs to adapt to football in 2018

Rashford2good

I just can't get my head round last night's result, we're better than that surely? Can't believe Seville came and did a job on us but we had enough warning signs in the first leg. A massive shock doesn't even begin to describe the scoreline, jeez.

El Zoido

The day after United get knocked out of Europe should be a Holliday in England. More people celebrate it than Christmas.
I work in an office full of women who don’t know the first thing about football, giving me stick over the result. Literally the first thing that happened when I walked in this morning was one of them said “time to change teams, I know what you Man Utd fans are like hur hur”. It’s crazy how people who don’t even follow football still hate us. I would have thought that being shite for four years would have mellowed some people out but apparently not!

misterredmist

Obviously very disappointed with our performance last night. Credit to Sevilla, they played well, defended so well we hardly breached them and their substitution after 70 mins was class. But, I don't understand going out, powder puff, over two legs : at some point you have to try your hand and risk to score, otherwise, why bother to qualify for the competition in the first place ?.

Regardless of how good or bad we played, due to our lack of ambition in trying to score in Sevilla, we were always vulnerable to their away goal, and, I think, the manager and the players to a certain extent, all got psychologically paralysed by that. If we had gone out early to attack with intent, and had a go, we may have got something, and if Sevilla had scored within that period, well, we'd have had longer in the game to claw it back, and, their attitude may have changed to we 'hold what we have'......

we did nothing and they scored very late in the game....... out......

I am happy for Mourinho to do another season before I get too grumpy, but the attitude and set up to our play, particularly at home, has to change....

let's hope for a reaction on Saturday...........

El-Manos

Are those two in a sulk. If they are they need to be told to get over themselves. There are plenty of footballers who dislike each other, but they still go on the pitch and perform as a team.
There is definitely something up. Pogba's dip seems to have evolved with the arrival of Sanchez, who in fact started quite well but quickly faded. Very strange as both of them are extremely talented but are unable to transfer this onto the pitch when it matters. Up to Jose to sort it out though, they are our most talented players in my opinion and should be leading by example, especially in games like last night. We want domination from them not this 'I don't give a feck attitude'.

On Saturday both of them should start on and lead by example for a change, if they fail to deliver once again, it's time to sit on the bench for a while.

togg

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Was a watershed moment for me too. We've been a bit shit a few times on the road but generally been pretty good at home. The exception being playing the very best teams in the PL and I don't mind if we're still a level below those teams and need to be pragmatic against them until Mourinho has the last few pieces in his jigsaw puzzle. Whoever they may be.

Last night was a new low, though. Sevilla posed almost no threat, over both legs. For some weird reason their manager dropped their only player capable of being a goal threat and replaced him with some lad who couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo. They have a decent record at home so the first leg didn't bother me too much but they're fairly shit on the road and concede a tonne of goals. The fact we created so little against them over three hours of football is horrific and brings me right back to the one or two shots on goal per game that broke me under Van Gaal.

We can blame the players all we want (and most of them deserve all the stick they get) but ultimately, the team is the embodiment of the manager on the pitch and everything about last night, from the team selection, to the tactics, the sheer lack of desire to get forward and hurt the opposition crystallised all my worst fears about supporting a team manager by Mourinho. Honestly starting to wonder how much more of this I can put up with. I hate the managerial merry-go-round as much as the next man (and more than a lot of posters on redcafe) but wouldn't be all that upset if Mourinho got the hook tomorrow.
Yeah, pretty much this. That was the worst I've felt since he took over. Deflating and depressing. He knows that was an abysmal performance considering the circumstances, no matter what he says, he's not stupid. I'm starting to wonder whether some of the players are beginning to lose faith in him, which would be rather serious. The thing is, the attack-minded element of the team is there...I really think it is, you could kind of see that after we went 2-0 down (and the first 5 or so minutes!), which obviously leads one to conclude that the shite show is all down to him.

Peanut Butter

I just posted this elsewhere but it would be better suited for here:

I have a conspiracy theory about last night. Bear with me.

I reckon that Jose didn't actually care if we progressed last night as he knew we aren't good enough to beat a City, Real etc over two legs.

He had done his job by getting us through the group stage. He also wanted one game a week from now on to guarantee top 4 finish.

He has been told countless times by Ed and the suits that CL qualification is everything. I don't like this theory but it's obvious to me. He simply didn't look arsed about being knocked out.

SATA

A day past and anyone still feeling hurt and disappointed by the exit? I know i still am now, and it may take a while till we beat Brighton out of the FA Cup :(

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Was a watershed moment for me too. We've been a bit shit a few times on the road but generally been pretty good at home. The exception being playing the very best teams in the PL and I don't mind if we're still a level below those teams and need to be pragmatic against them until Mourinho has the last few pieces in his jigsaw puzzle. Whoever they may be.

Last night was a new low, though. Sevilla posed almost no threat, over both legs. For some weird reason their manager dropped their only player capable of being a goal threat and replaced him with some lad who couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo. They have a decent record at home so the first leg didn't bother me too much but they're fairly shit on the road and concede a tonne of goals. The fact we created so little against them over three hours of football is horrific and brings me right back to the one or two shots on goal per game that broke me under Van Gaal.

We can blame the players all we want (and most of them deserve all the stick they get) but ultimately, the team is the embodiment of the manager on the pitch and everything about last night, from the team selection, to the tactics, the sheer lack of desire to get forward and hurt the opposition crystallised all my worst fears about supporting a team manager by Mourinho. Honestly starting to wonder how much more of this I can put up with. I hate the managerial merry-go-round as much as the next man (and more than a lot of posters on redcafe) but wouldn't be all that upset if Mourinho got the hook tomorrow.
Would have to concur, even though i thought we would have it tough. Just the manner of the result, given that we were at home. I can understand the tactics away from home or at home against good teams.

I would give him a third year. We have a good squad.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

I reckon that Jose didn't actually care if we progressed last night as he knew we aren't good enough to beat a City, Real etc over two legs.

He had done his job by getting us through the group stage. He also wanted one game a week from now on to guarantee top 4 finish.

He has been told countless times by Ed and the suits that CL qualification is everything. I don't like this theory but it's obvious to me. He simply didn't look arsed about being knocked out.
He said in his press conference before the game that this team is not ready, but said if you get to the last eight something might go in your favour. Your theory is not stupid, but I hope that is not what he did.

Manny

Grammar Police

Oh, he looked arsed. I've never seen a United manager make for the exit so fast at the final whistle.

No doubt he had to gather his thoughts and find out what was going to be asked in his interview with BT. He still looked shook in the post match interview.

dove

A day past and anyone still feeling hurt and disappointed by the exit? I know i still am now, and it may take a while till we beat Brighton out of the FA Cup :(
Haven't felt so angry since LVG. It's okay losing, it's part of football but the approach to both games was shocking, we had absolutely no intention of scoring a goal in 170 minutes of football against fecking Sevilla.

Paul Martin

Supports
Liverpool
Newbie on here (in hiding since Saturday lunchtime!). Not sure if Utd underestimated Seville, but think they got it tactically wrong. Seville are a team that can be vulnerable if you attack them. Liverpool outplayed them home & away in the group, albeit calamitous defending meant both games were draws. The 0-0 away for Utd was not a bad result. It simply means you have to win a one-off match at home to La Liga's 5th best team, something Utd should be able to do comprehensively. Needing to go all-out in the first half to get a goal or 2, Utd never really had the urgency. Whether that was the players or the manager. I'm with a lot on here that Mourinho is too pragmatic, particularly for the attacking players he has at his disposal. I don't think he'll ultimately bring what you want in terms of the 2 biggest prizes. I see him spending £150-200M in the summer, but failing to land the PL or CL next season will lead to his departure. Problem then is another rebuild/philosophy-change which could set you back a couple of years again.

Reactions: Varun

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

I don't buy that, but the reasoning about not having the quality to beat the really top teams is very true, and probably why i'm not as angry as some of the people on here.

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved a huge tie in the next round, but in reality, it wouldn't have been pretty. Not quite that horrific display Moyes put in at home v Bayern, reminiscent of a non league cup v a Premier club, but not great.

He has some big work to do in the summer. Namely, and not limited to
  • Getting Pogba and Sanchez performing at their proper level
  • Working out who out of Rashford, Martial and Sanchez plays where
  • Upgrading the full backs
  • Giving Matic and Pogba the right support in the centre

Probably a couple of signings, and shipping out Shaw, Fellaini, Carrick, and maybe Herrera too.

edcunited1878

That second goal conceded by United was just like Spurs last week in regards to the shite reaction in the Champions League. United lost their concentration and were shocked, couldn't refocus in time and got punched in the mouth after getting punched in the gut. Looking back again, the first Sevilla goal I don't mind because it was good play by Sevilla after United lost possession. But the defending for the corner was horseshit. Three guys didn't bother to defend/attack/pressure the near post ball. Completely switched off.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The only reason I can deal with it fairly comfortably, is that we'd had some ugly ties against the real elite later on.
Hopefully we'll be in a better position next season.

We need to win that FA Cup and make sure of 2nd now though. That'll at least ensure we can claim progress v last year.

Nori-

So 20 hours later and if anything.....a little more angry.

I've seen several previous Seville score lines thrown around on social media and it looks like other teams in La Liga have been scoring against them for fun. 5-0, 4-0, 5-1, 4-1 etc

Not Jose though. He has arguably some of the best attacking talent in Europe, was playing at home, for a place in the Champions League quarter final and approached the game like we were playing Barcelona at the Nou Camp. Sigh. This will take a few days to get over

Canagel

I am still angry thinking about it. It will hurt even more when we have to watch the draw on Friday and see what could've been. What's the point of qualifying for the CL if that's how we're going to play in a knockout match? I'd rather not qualify at all if this is the approach we're going to take. Very difficult result to accept when you've spent as much as we have to go out to the 5th best team in Spain. I'm super deflated right now. The season is ruined and to be honest I just want the season to end now and see what happens in the summer. With transfers and all that. Only then will I regain my optimism for the future.

Last edited:

padr81

Supports
Man City

If that is true he should be sacked immediatley.

You had a better chance than Roma, Sevilla and many would argue Liverpool who are all there in the last 8. You are also more than capable of beating anyone over 2 legs. he's done it before with worse teams versus better teams. Top 4 is sewn up pretty much already.

Manny

Grammar Police
I don't buy that, but the reasoning about not having the quality to beat the really top teams is very true, and probably why i'm not as angry as some of the people on here.

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved a huge tie in the next round, but in reality, it wouldn't have been pretty. Not quite that horrific display Moyes put in at home v Bayern, reminiscent of a non league cup v a Premier club, but not great.

He has some big work to do in the summer. Namely, and not limited to
  • Getting Pogba and Sanchez performing at their proper level
  • Working out who out of Rashford, Martial and Sanchez plays where
  • Upgrading the full backs
  • Giving Matic and Pogba the right support in the centre

Probably a couple of signings, and shipping out Shaw, Fellaini, Carrick, and maybe Herrera too.
Seen this sort of thing quite a bit and while you could be right, I don't see the point in hiding from a thrashing.

Its better to get it out of the way and let it highlight where the improvments need to be made, make the adjustments over the summer and see where it takes us next season.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Mourinho has been playing this way for far too long to claim it wasn't his his intention. He started with Fellaini and was more than happy to let Sevilla have the ball, just as he is against any half-decent opposition. Likewise, it wasn't until we went behind that he felt the need to make the double change. If he genuinely wanted to play on the front foot he would've made those changes much earlier.

I thought that game was very reminiscent of some of the dour Europa League grinds last season (minus the good fortune) which were wilfully ignored at the time. I don't know if he thinks winning that competition vindicates his conservative style of play, but we won't get very far playing that way in the Champions League, as evidenced tonight.
We've played some very good football under Mourinho too, and some of his teams in the past have been exquisite in their attacking prowess. Nobody can say that Deco, Robben, Duff, Drogba, Ozil, Di Maria, Ronaldo, Benzema, Willian, Oscar, Hazard, Costa were dull to watch. Saying Mourinho always plays "this way" (dull football) is a long misproven fallacy. He plays more solid when he needs to, like you say we won the Europa League last season.

I just do not buy that he wanted us to be defensive last night. We went out hammer and tong for the first 5 minutes while his instructions would have still been fresh in the players' ears, I think the players were simply guilty of believing Sevilla would be a cakewalk compared to the mighty Liverpool and Chelsea and became more and more nervous when it started to be apparent this woudn't be the case. Mourinho brought Pogba on for Fellaini after 60 minutes while it was still 0-0 to try and inject a bit of oomph into our game, and the double substitution you mention was merely the kitchen sink - no sane manager was exactly going to play with Rashford at right back at 0-0 - he already had three attacking midfielders on the pitch behind Lukaku, it was not a batten-down-the-hatches formation.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Seen this sort of thing quite a bit and while you could be right, I don't see the point in hiding from a thrashing.

Its better to get it out of the way and let it highlight where the improvments need to be made, make the adjustments over the summer and see where it takes us next season.
Well we ticked that box last night. Job done.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

There is every chance we'd have made a game of it, like that time everyone was convinced Real would smash us under Fergie, and we were actually winning until that ref got involved v Nani.

However, maybe this sharp shock will galvanise us anyway.

El Zoido

Not a chance. For all the things you could criticise Jose for, he’s not one to shirk a challenge.

Kapardin

This game still hurts so much. Not just the defeat, but the way we went out as well. It was Sevilla, not Barca ffs.:(

Deleted member 101472

Anyone else just still absolutely furious about this and can’t let it slide? I’m a fairly positive fan, always one for getting behind the players and manager but that last night is the most diabolical self sabotaging performance I have ever seen from us. The decision to start Fellaini just gets more baffling with every hour that passes, I can’t work it out. Sanchez plays like that again and I’d slap a £30 million price tag on him and just be done with it, what is it with us and signing previously world class players and them turning into mediocre players at best.

The blame MUST lie with the manager for this, I just don’t think I can forgive that approach unless he goes out on Saturday and just tells his players to fecking attack non stop. Is he completely oblivious to the fact that we have players who can genuinely scare the shit out of a defence? Let the shackles off, or feck off.

Also, the overrating of Eric Bailly needs to stop, His positioning is Sunday league level and is far too prone to mistakes. You need consistent 8/10 performance every week from a good centre half, and he can’t do that. Kjaer looked like a much better prospect.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Have just come into this thread and wanted to sleep on it first before assessing what went wrong. Sorry but I am still fuming. Mourinho's indifference to the whole thing is really getting me mad. His pre-Liverpool comments about not buying into the whole derby thing wound me up a little but it was just fortunate that we won. But his comments after the Sevilla game?? And that performance?? :mad:

TheReligion

Abusive
That second goal conceded by United was just like Spurs last week in regards to the shite reaction in the Champions League. United lost their concentration and were shocked, couldn't refocus in time and got punched in the mouth after getting punched in the gut. Looking back again, the first Sevilla goal I don't mind because it was good play by Sevilla after United lost possession. But the defending for the corner was horseshit. Three guys didn't bother to defend/attack/pressure the near post ball. Completely switched off.
Exactly. Sevilla had 3 men in the big and I think United had 5/6. They majorly fecked up.

You can't blame Jose for shit like that. As much as he annoyed me last night the players need to take a long hard look at themselves as they were a disgrace.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
People who are calling this a new low under Mou: what about that Huddersfield match? Worse opposition and worse performance. That for me sits alongside the Van Gaal Bournemouth away match as the two most deflating post-Ferguson.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
People who are calling this a new low under Mou: what about that Huddersfield match? Worse opposition and worse performance. That for me sits alongside the Van Gaal Bournemouth away match as the two most deflating post-Ferguson.
The Huddersfield game has damaged us, but there were other games to rectify it. Last night was the end of the road for us in the CL. Serves us right for sniggering at Spurs.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I don't think that was worse. Even at our very best under Fergie we were quite capable of being beaten by a relegation contender if we had an off day and they played out of their skin. Especially away from home. Which is what happened against Huddersfield. In isolation, there wasn't anything worrying about that game.

The Sevilla thing was worse because it took place over 180 excruciating minutes and it was fairly obvious that for almost 170 of those minutes they posed zero threat of scoring a goal against us, because their striker put in as bad an individual performance as you're ever likely to see. Considering we were up against a team that's firing blanks and is known for having a crap defence, our lack of creativity and ambition was unprecedented in the season so far.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
The Huddersfield game has damaged us, but there were other games to rectify it. Last night was the end of the road for us in the CL. Serves us right for sniggering at Spurs.
I've no problem with sniggering at Spurs. I can think of at least one Spurs fan on here who badly needed taking down a peg or two. The sniggering was great fun for this reason alone and our result last night has no bearing on that, one way or another.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I agree. I’ve said for some number of years now that they should scrap it. I don’t believe in the “my draw/loss is better than your draw/loss” thinking in the away goals rule. The result, not score, is all that should matter. If the aggregate score is tied you should play extra time and penalties.
They should do now, there's no reason not too, but when the ruling was first brought in they didn't go to extra time, and it was still another 20 odds years before penalty shoot-outs were introduced, so it was fairer than the alternative of going out of the competition on the toss of a coin, or drawing of lots.

Player Ratings

4.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 465 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 41% Man Utd 2:0 Sevilla
  • 15% Man Utd 2:1 Sevilla