EL L Europa League Semi-Final

Sevilla 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 16 August 2020

DickDastardly

We were the better team by miles during the entire second half - Sevilla scored from their one chance due to rubbish defending.

We also have the issue that our bench simply isn't good enough, we need better depth up front.

On top of that, if any of our players could finish, we'd have won by 4 or 5 goals.

I'm frustrated too, but blaming Ole's management for a loss in a match we would have won 5 times over is very harsh!
Ok, we didn't capitalize on our assault in the first 20 minutes of the second half.

Do we have a plan B? Or C? Or any plan at all?

Maybe put Ighalo in the middle, get Martial on the left, take out Williams, get a crosser on, maybe Mata? I don't know ffs, im not the coach!!

Ole is! And he's doing feck all! Change something for fecks sake! Ok, we didn't score, fine. Change something! Maybe keep the ball, maybe cross more often....football isn't one dimensional. You can train your teams to do multiple formations, multiple attacking options.

Feck!

Glorio

This is the flip side of the excitement you get with young players I guess. Not having the experience to calm themselves at clutch times like this.

The players can go and have a rest now

Pjisared

Paul Scholes was a great player but talks shit.
'Overall our defence is good
'Our front three are brilliant
Absolute tosh

bdspeedy

I'm going to make an unpopular post to cut through the inevitable bullshit. A couple of years ago Sevilla played us off the park, today we lost to them but no one who knows anything about football can say we deserved to lose. The progress is very very clear. For 15 minutes they looked like they didn't belong on the same pitch as us and they are a very decent team. For the first time since Fergie we have made clear progress and actually look like a proper side at times. We all know we are 3 or 4 players short and hopefully we get them in, our sub options for instance are horrible. The fact is that the progress made and the signings under Ole have been mostly positive and I think it's honestly the first time in ages to be positive about the future of the club.

I was terrified before tonight that we were going to be given another footballing lesson by a technical Spanish side but the reality is that we've lost a game that we were more than comfortable in and were clearly the better side. Painful yes, but the bigger picture is that we have plenty of reason for optimism. Let's hope the right signings are brought in and progress even further. It's a marathon not a sprint.
Agree with much of the post but our board is inept and will continue to do the bare minimum to keep us raging fans at bay. With our lack of any quality on our bench, we're nowhere near close to competing in Europe. I'd be surprised if we reach the final 16 with this team. If they cut a marathon off at 7 hours, 7 years of inept rebuilding is enough to disqualify Eddie. He's got to go.

oreon

Tried to play like Wenger's Arsenal at times trying to walk it in.
Would have won the game easily if we were clinical and ruthless.

As much as the defending was bad for the goals, so was the finishing, if you miss chances like those it invite nerves and mistakes which is what crept in and led to the second goal.
I thought we were way too open even after we scored. Matic should have played instead of Fred, he would have offered a bit more protection. Fred isn't a good CDM. Personally I thought our targets should have been a CB, Sancho & CDM (Partey). I don't trust Matic to play well for a full season and I don't rate Fred at all especially at CDM

Feed Me

I'm hungry
No point getting stressed. We don’t have a great coaching set up, we have some very average players. Glad the season is over.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Anyone blaming AWB for the second has never played football at a coached level or understands the game. Full back is to tuck in and cover the back post. The ball and player is in the middle of the goal and both centre backs are both free not near other players. Left sided CB try’s to head the ball away Maguire and right sided CB Lindeloft should be in the middle of the goal picking up the only threat encase Maguire doesn’t cut the cross out. Then the right fullback is at far post AWB, to either collect a over hit cross or if one of the CBs manage to flick it on he’s their to pick up and move forward down the right wing. Further to this, as a CB you should never stand side on to the point you cannot see who is around you. There was a reason why Bruno targeted Lindeloft, it’s about time we have players hold each other accountable on the pitch. AWB didn’t have a great game but that goal wasn’t his fault.
Yeah, probably true mate, it happens, really poor tonight.

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Honest feelings are, firstly, pissed off we lost when we had so many chances. But I really think we're on the cusp of being a really exciting team.

Players get better playing together and I think we have the nucleus largely correct. We just must add some quality into the squad. A centre half (whilst selling the 11 crap centre halves we have), a DM and a creative attacking mid and I think we are title challengers..

In this game hopefully they learned a lot. You have to be utterly ruthless in front of goal in these competitions. So lads, go have your break and come back determined to never repeat tonight.

Al-T

Truly disappointing result.

Despite all the money we've spent, the defence still needs attention and options off the bench are uninspiring. Three semi finals, lost all of them. Not good enough

spiriticon

What worries me is that with all that attacking talent, we do seem to perform in patches in terms of scoring goals.

We have a run of 5 games where we score 2 or 3 a game, then a run of 5 games where we can't hit a barn door to save our life.

When all 3 upfront are blunt at the same time, it really is a problem

HJ12

One piece of shite defending aside we were by far the better team.Another goalkeeper has a worldie.
Yep. Everyone is rightly emotional after losing that, but some perspective needed. We dominated this game but just never took our chances - against a very good Sevilla side and a keeper on crazy juice. Unfortunately we switched off on a couple of occasions and got punished.

RooneyLegend

After that first 15 mins after half time we basically did nothing. It's worrying that this team can't carry the momentum for a full game. Honestly don't think our team has been as fit as the elite teams are.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Really unlucky tonight. Decent performance, aside from their second goal which should see one of those players f*cking booted out of the club. They had 1 player in the box! And we had 3 big defenders. Unforgivable mistake.

Basically carried Rashford the whole match too, which is impressive.

Desperately need about 4 signings, on the assumption that at least 3 come good.

r0663664

Worships Man City
We started really well and scored then the whole team decided to let Seville dictate the tempo of the game and eventually lead to a goal. Seriously?! Why can't this team hold on the goal. Started 2nd half like we were going to smash Seville with 2-3 goals, then we run out of gas and Seville hits us with a sucker punch. We were no doubt a better team. Seville was clever to exploit our fullback and Ole didn't react. Pogba was his usual self, losing ball in the middle of the park (I really think he should be sold, we can buy a midfielder who does his job). Rushford is really poor and it has been many games that he has done nothing. Really doesn't to be in XI if there is quality on the bench. Bad end to the season winning zero trophy. Hope for a brighter end next season.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I wonder if you all will remain satisfied with one-legged tournament football after this. It's always about fine margins in matches like these, and in this case, it was those fine margins that made a difference in the end.

Did Sevilla deserve to go through? Some will say yes, some no. I personally thought that we were favourites to win based on that 2nd half performance, but we couldn't get past the fine margins.

Phil

Where to begin with that. A lot of poor performances, mostly in defence. Some good in midfield and some just baffling up front. We need a lot of upgrades, full back, wing, maybe even up front. Ffs.

zizou81

Ole waits too long to make subs and try to change it up.

Also, AWB is overrated. He is a one trick pony with his spider legs. At least Valencia was able to go forward. Even Dalot is better going forward and helped us beat PSG. Its not the first time AWB just watched the opponent goal scorer.

Ole needs to grow a pair. Waits way too long to make subs. His players obviously tired and he needed more out there. Ogalo should have gone on a lot earlier for Rashford. I mean at least frank lampard makes gutsy changes early and has had success doing so.

This loss is on Ole and the defence.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yep. Everyone is rightly emotional after losing that, but some perspective needed. We dominated this game but just never took our chances - against a very good Sevilla side and a keeper on crazy juice. Unfortunately we switched off on a couple of occasions and got punished.
Then they better snap out of it or they will always be the gallant losers.

hubbuh

Be
Because EL is all about Champions League. As soon as we got it this cup became maningless to me.
Look, if we played like shit I would be fuming funnily enough but we were sensational for the second half onwards v Copenhagen and tonight against a quality side. I came out of this tonight excited about the future.
Fred playing deep could be a game changer for us. He freed up Pogba at times and was press resistent and mobile across the pitch.
Stuff like that excites me going forward.
I also dont think this seasons cup conpetitions hold much stock. 2 legs and we beat Sevilla.
Again, it just feels all pre season to me. It really looked as if extra time fecked us
This, to be honest. Disappointing but not the end of the world. More evidence if we needed it that certain players just aren't cutting the mustard. 3/4 of our defence had bad games, our frontline really struggled/should have done better with the chances they did have (on quite a few occasions Mason pulled back rather than attack the wing), our depth just so ineffectual that the management doesn't trust them to come on and actually do anything. Those two crosses from Fosu-Mensah and Mata were criminal.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I wonder if you all will remain satisfied with one-legged tournament football after this. It's always about fine margins in matches like these, and in this case, it was those fine margins that made a difference in the end.

Did Sevilla deserve to go through? Some will say yes, some no. I personally thought that we were favourites to win based on that 2nd half performance, but we couldn't get past the fine margins.
Very fine margins, on both sides :wenger:

Dominos

I also have to say, our unwillingness to cross the ball when it's out wide is unfuriating. We seem to think we're above crossing the ball and all our chances need to be created by playing one-twos around the edge of the box.

I don't want a repeat of Moyes vs Fulham but a bit of variety in our attacking play wouldn't go amiss, you only have to look at Sevilla's 2nd goal to see crossing the ball might create the odd chance.

JohnnyKills

We really need a 9 who can come off the bench in games like this. Martial is great but he's not clinical at all.

davidmichael

If tonight hasn’t show Woodward and Judge that we seriously need to invest now we’re back in the Champions League I don’t know what will as it was clear Ole simply didn’t want to use subs because outside of Matic I don’t think he trusts them as good enough.

Wan-Bissaka was absolutely woeful at both ends of the pitch and it’s becoming clearer all the time that Williams will most certainly be better suited to right back than left back, if ever there was a night that showed how important Shaw is to our team then tonight was it.

Rashford seems to be struggling still since the injury yet none of Mata, James or Lingard are trusted to replace him. Lindelof showed yet again that he and Maguire are simply not a long term option at the back for us and it has to be one or the other when they’re playing.

Fernandes looks exhausted and for everyone saying “let’s forget Sancho as we’ve got Greenwood” tonight showed that Greenwood is a great option against some from the right but he ISN’T a long term option there, Greenwood is a central striker being played wide because of lack of options and him playing playing out of position is still better than anything else we have so Sancho is an absolute priority.

Pogba was class all game and their defence was scared of Martial but that’s it and if we can’t win Europa then with what we currently have we can expect maybe getting out of the group stage of the Champions League but that’ll be our lot. We need Sancho, a pacey centre back unless we’re keeping Smalling and an alternative to Matic as he was very missed tonight.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Missed too many chances tonight. After 60 min we started to play sloppy and invited Sevilla again.

Williams should be nowhere near starting XI but unfortunaly we dont have any other options when Shaw’s injured. He’s Young and will improve but we cant rely on him for next season.

Front 3 I am not so worried about, they having a little dip, especially Rashy but the quality is there somewhere. We need Sancho though.

Midfield - Not worried about. Fred, Matic, Pogba and Mctom is OK.

Sancho, a CB and a LB should be prio.
If he was Young, he’d never have left that defender for the goal. Our Ashley was a far better LB.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The better team lost. Difference between the two sides was they scored with their only decent chances and we couldn't finish our tea, we had about 40 shots these last two games with only 2 goals, it's just not good enough. It was a very frustrating game, I'm sure many will be quick to laud Sevilla but we bossed them for the most part. This game reflects that Ajax game where we beat them in the final, they were arguably the better team during the game but we were just much more experienced that night and it showed, same with Sevilla tonight.

I know Williams will probably take a lot of grief for his performance but he had absolutely no help from Rashford whatsoever, that said he's looked a bit out of his depth these last few matches, with Shaw in the team I don't think we lose. Rashford's form since the restart and showed why we need depth in attack so badly, he's obviously not been at the races but because of how low quality our squad is we can't really afford to take him out of the team.

I did think Pogba and Fred were good tonight, Fred does seem to be playing his way back into form, he had some exceptional moments. I was surprised to see criticism of Greenwood in the match day thread, I think he again showed today why he's so revered, he was quality on the ball and dropped back to help Wan-Bissaka out which I really appreciated.

A bitter end to a very, very long season, with 3 semi-finals with a bit more luck on our side who knows what might have been. That's where we're at presently, a top 3 team and semi-finalists, if we want to push on we're going to have to spend, that's the reality we're faced with. We've come a long, long way this season, it's had ups and downs but get 3 good signings in and we're laughing. I'm going into next season with a mind full of optimism.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
We really need a 9 who can come off the bench in games like this. Martial is great but he's not clinical at all.
What? The only forward who looked remotely threatening tonight and our leading scorer is not clinical?

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 299 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sevilla win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 35% Sevilla 1:2 Man Utd
  • 11% Sevilla 0:2 Man Utd