PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:0 Sheffield United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 24 June 2020

Lj82

Fair point on quality, I just wanted to see that urgency from the second string players, really try to stake a claim to a starting position.
To be fair, ighalo could have scored if his first touch for shaw's pass was better. Overall play was more disjointed but I don't think it's a lack of urgency

AmanNits04

One thing which I noticed in today's game was(not sure whether it will the norm or if it just was just this game), opposition players double down or mark Pogba and Fernandes, this gives space to the likes of Martial and Rashford or if they mark Rashford and Martial, that would give space to Pogba and Fernandes. Earlier we had teams who just shut down Rashford and Martial and we were devoid of creativity.
It's a wonderful thing to have now, when Pogba and Fernandes play together

SirAnderson

My favorite bit of the match other than the hat-trick. Not just for the novelty of it, but the depth we can now display when healthy. We fielded maybe our strongest 11 and still had an actual #9 on the bench, Scotty or Fred at CM, a CB some had starting...

That will come in handy with this accelerated fixture list in the summer heat.
Yeah it definitely will. I can see a few changes against Norwich on the weekend, and having this in case things aren't going as plan is just something else.
After Norwich on Saturday, we have Brighton on Tuesday, 3 day turn around, so definitely going to need that rotation.

Mavenleo

Goosebumps! Goosebumps!! Goosebumps!!! Certainly one of if not our best performance this season. High hopes for next season

OT1214

Loved how Greenwood helped our defense on couple of occasions. He should start more games. Will fastrack his all round development with quality players around.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Oh look what happens when you decide to play with creative players. You dominate the game.
I am biggest Ole critic around here but the thing which i like with him is that when something works he sticks with it and vice versa. So i hope that this will be our lineup in future and our game setup. In most of games of course. I am aware that you must rotate in this tight schedule.
But please no more James on the wing, Lingard anywhere in lineup or playing with two defensive midfielders.

Anyway i enjoyed in this game. Seeing dominant United whole 90 minutes is joy to watch

Kostov

Great game and we dominated them from the first minute. Let's build on, we can beat anyone if we continue playing like this.

Bestietom

Very good performance...Keep it up until end of season and we will definitely be in Champions League next season..

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Oh look what happens when you decide to play with creative players. You dominate the game.
I am biggest Ole critic around here but the thing which i like with him is that when something works he sticks with it and vice versa. So i hope that this will be our lineup in future and our game setup. In most of games of course. I am aware that you must rotate in this tight schedule.
But please no more James on the wing, Lingard anywhere in lineup or playing with two defensive midfielders.

Anyway i enjoyed in this game. Seeing dominant United whole 90 minutes is joy to watch
I don't think he'll have that luxury this season with the relatively short period in which we have to finish all the outstanding competitions as you say. But next season everything will be in place to have his settled side. He's done really well considering the high number of players he has let go and has bought really well.

I'm pretty sure he's got his eye on the James and Lingard situation.

Lj82

I don't think he'll have that luxury this season with the relatively short period in which we have to finish all the outstanding competitions as you say. But next season everything will be in place to have his settled side. He's done really well considering the high number of players he has let go and has bought really well.

I'm pretty sure he's got his eye on the James and Lingard situation.
Lingard wasn't even in the bench today. That's progress

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Solid win against direct rivals.

Still, this is the Ole era, known for sudden drops in quality and focus. If we win the next two league games, then I'll be excited. Hope City defeats Chelsea tonight.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I know this is going to sound daft but that felt like England v Scotland in Euro 96.

We all got hyped for the Switzerland game only to draw but bounced back with a comfortable win in next game
I think you're mis remembering that Scotland game.

That was very much in the balance until Gazza's goal. McAllister missed a pen etc.
Yesterday was more like the Holland game. Just a terrific smashfest

Glorio

Agree. Particularly the last game before lockdown. We were comfortable throughout that game against a top opponent.
I suppose this is a different kind of good game, the kind we've not seen from United for a long time, and this extends to even Fergie's latter years when the squad was aging and not being replaced with quality.

I refer particularly to the stranglehold on the midfield, and the resulting threat from ball playing forwards.
It reminded me of City/Barca in their pomp a bit, where the opponents slowly but surely had the fight sapped out of them because even when they need to chase the game, they're being so comprehensively dominated by superior players (not necessarily grafting) that they can't touch the ball anyway, and because it's incisive possession (when last could we say this?) they are forced to hopelessly defend anyway to try and keep the score respectable.

I've felt that hopelessness against City and particularly Barca in the past (the final in Wembley where we scored first, but you knew we had no hope of holding on as they dragged us all over the floor in midfield - and that was one of our really prolific United sides!), and I could sense the same hopelessness from Sheffield - it was a masterclass we've not seen from United in years.

You get this when you have midfield players that are not only experts in creative vision and passing, but who also have the skill and speed to take on and beat players that try to get close, and thus create space because other opposing defenders have to choose to either break their shape to cover for their beaten colleague, or hold and let the free midfield player have a clear path at goal

RashyForPM

After Sheffield’s initial pressure which admittedly planted a few seeds of doubt in my mind as to whether we would even win the game, we assumed control very well. Fantastic work by Marcus and then Martial for the first, Wan-Bissaka and Martial for the second and Marcus and Martial again for the third. Martial’s best ever performance for the club, hopefully not for long.

Anyway, this was the sort of game which you have to win and preferably win handsomely when challenging for top 4, and we did so. Excellent performance and result. On to Saturday.

robinrooney

If Rashford had put away that chance where Pogba flicked it up to him in the 1st half, I think I would have had a little sex wee. Would have been a beauty of a goal.

Gordon S

Solid win against direct rivals.

Still, this is the Ole era, known for sudden drops in quality and focus. If we win the next two league games, then I'll be excited. Hope City defeats Chelsea tonight.
A run of 13 games unbeaten, with something like +30 GD isn´t enough to be excited?

Yagami

Good post resistant
We've all been eager to see Pogba and Rashford join up with Martial and Bruno, and that's something I loved about our 3rd goal. All 4 were involved.

A nice, penetrating pass from deep by Pogba to Bruno, who then plays a fancy, first touch flick to Martial, who then plays a nice one two with Rashford, who puts Martial through one on one with a subtle pass, with Martial finishing the move off with a cheeky chip.

Just great to see!

Maticmaker

Great performance, Great result, delighted for Tony Martial, only one worry was that Marcus missed two of the easiest chances he will every get, maybe his mind was elsewhere... two great assists though.

Lee565

I'm not liking these water breaks, that's twice in a row now where United all over the opposition and then the water breaks hurt our momentum and was more favourable to the opposition but thankfully it didn't matter so much in the end against Sheffield United

Fingeredmouse

I know this is going to sound daft but that felt like England v Scotland in Euro 96.

We all got hyped for the Switzerland game only to draw but bounced back with a comfortable win in next game
The England v Scotland game where Scotland missed a penalty which would've made it 1-1 and Gascoigne scored immediately from that miss to make it 2-0?
In what way was that like tonight's game, which could've easily been 5 or 6 nil?

ColvaleGoa

I think Rashford is just getting warmed up ..shame he missed those 2 chances. But had 2 assists and good chemistry with Martial. Once he gets the taste of blood we will be flying.
Also Pogba will have more minutes in his tank so we should be flying.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Most convincing win against a top 8 team in years, I think. I can't remember any other top 8 matches where we thoroughly outplayed them in all facets of the game.

Many are saying Matic is MOTM behind Martial but I think MOTM is in this order: Martial, Pogba and Matic. I think some of you are already taking Pogba's contributions for granted. He was the best player on the pitch.

I'm a constant critic of Martial and he was fantastic. His goals were superb and his dribbling had real purpose and he didn't let defenders nick the ball from him like usually happens.

Do some of you anit-Pogba people want to ask for forgiveness? :)

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I suppose this is a different kind of good game, the kind we've not seen from United for a long time, and this extends to even Fergie's latter years when the squad was aging and not being replaced with quality.

I refer particularly to the stranglehold on the midfield, and the resulting threat from ball playing forwards.
It reminded me of City/Barca in their pomp a bit, where the opponents slowly but surely had the fight sapped out of them because even when they need to chase the game, they're being so comprehensively dominated by superior players (not necessarily grafting) that they can't touch the ball anyway, and because it's incisive possession (when last could we say this?) they are forced to hopelessly defend anyway to try and keep the score respectable.

I've felt that hopelessness against City and particularly Barca in the past (the final in Wembley where we scored first, but you knew we had no hope of holding on as they dragged us all over the floor in midfield - and that was one of our really prolific United sides!), and I could sense the same hopelessness from Sheffield - it was a masterclass we've not seen from United in years.

You get this when you have midfield players that are not only experts in creative vision and passing, but who also have the skill and speed to take on and beat players that try to get close, and thus create space because other opposing defenders have to choose to either break their shape to cover for their beaten colleague, or hold and let the free midfield player have a clear path at goal
Well described. You won't be long a newbie

IRELANDUNITED

The season is panning out better than anyone of us could have hoped for at Christmas, yes it's annoying that the scousers will get their title but it's been a foregone conclusion for so long does anyone bar themselves actually give a feck now? With it been behind closed doors and no proper celebrations definitely taints it as well, no matter how hard they try to pretend it doesn't. Add to that how brilliant we are playing at the minute, we are well in the hunt for top 4, could possibly add a trophy to that (or 2!) We could end up having a very decent season and a fantastic platform to build on for next season. All this was looking impossible at Christmas!

Santoryo

ripping the reward
That's crazy.

10 clean sheets in a run that contains City x2, Chelsea, Tottenham, Wolves and Sheffield. Out of these only Tottenham managed to score, and that was a mistake by DDG.
All 3 goals were mistakes by keepers(3rd more so due to a defender's mistake).

DSG

The Good:

• DDG, Maguire and Lindelof didn't put a foot wrong.
  • AWB and Shaw looked dangerous throughout. Both put some really dangerous balls into the box.
  • Matic's passing was progressive, wonderfully times and above all quick.
  • Pogba dictated everything good we did. Most chances created in the match. Regularly got Bruno on the ball in the middle
  • He's our Bruno.
  • Rashford and Greenwood didn't have the best of games, but looked dangerous throughout.
  • Hattrick hero. It wasn't just the goals though. He put a proper shift in. I don't think I've seen him close the ball down this much, and what's more he did it in 25°c+ heat.
The Bad:
  • We only got 97 minutes of it. Roll on the weekend!
I agree with much of this. I will add a couple of comments.

There is a bit of bashing of Rashford’s two misses, being rusty, etc. But let’s be fair, he made the first goal with the movement and the service. His movement was fantastic throughout the match, except when he was isolated on the left. Great assist for the third goal too.

Secondly, I’m a critic of Pogba because he seems to give lesser effort in certain matches, he’s inconsistent, and employs an absolute ass for his agent. But once or twice a match, he’ll show an absolute jaw dropping bit of skill. The nutmeg dribble at the top of the box when Martial stole the ball from him was totally filthy. Unfair when you combine that kind of skill with size and speed...

DSG

Another point: Really sad that when we win convincingly, the post match thread is 6 pages, but when we lose, it’s 15 pages.

I try to comment when we win AND when we lose or draw, or have a disappointing performance.

There are many, potentially over half of the active members of the Caf who constantly criticize, never give credit, and derisively trot out “Top Red” when anyone defends Ole or the club.

My question to many of you is: are you even a fan of the club? Because if you can’t post the positives when we win, what good are you? Supporting United is like marriage... once all you see is the faults and can’t see the good, the positive, it’s time to get a divorce...

A-man

Another point: Really sad that when we win convincingly, the post match thread is 6 pages, but when we lose, it’s 15 pages.

I try to comment when we win AND when we lose or draw, or have a disappointing performance.

There are many, potentially over half of the active members of the Caf who constantly criticize, never give credit, and derisively trot out “Top Red” when anyone defends Ole or the club.

My question to many of you is: are you even a fan of the club? Because if you can’t post the positives when we win, what good are you? Supporting United is like marriage... once all you see is the faults and can’t see the good, the positive, it’s time to get a divorce...
Good comment!
For me it is unbelievable to read the hate some players get after a loss or even after a win sometimes. Ok if you want another player, ok if you give critique, but it’s like some people want certain players to fail, or the team to fail to get rid of Ole. Always support your troops.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Martial gets my MoM because it's quit tricky not to go with a hat-trick scorer but Bruno was also excellent and fan-unfavourite (for some reason) Matic was also faultless. Lots of good performances including Shaw, Maguire and Lindelof. I think Sheffield helped us by looking well of the pace and not capitalising on their pretty good start. We are, of course, way of being top three (let alone winning the title) but Bruno has made a huge difference. It's start but we probably need at three more players of that quality. With Chelsea having beaten City, I can't see us doing better than 5th

Craig Ward

A really good win, played some good stuff. Looked in control and plenty of chances.

Rashford must be gutted he didnt score but if he keeps creating he'll get goals. It's when you dont even have chances its an issue.

I really think as good as Fred and McTominey are, neither of them can control the DM area like Matic.

Matic really makes a difference with his awareness and composure on the ball. He's by far the most assured DM we have. Doesnt have the legs of either Fred or McTominey, but he really makes a difference when he plays well.

I slammed Martial for his show against Spurs but cant fault him today. The third goal was a great finish. Thats Martial though, hot and cold. If we play that openly with chances, he'll keep getting goals i'm sure.

I don't think Sheffield threatened us much, but we still had to stay focused and get the win which we done. Will be a shame if Sheffield season fizzles out.

I'm a bit old school with this logic but i would have loved it if we kept pushing for the 4th, 5th goal. Wasn't much intensity at the end, especially from the subs but saying that the game was easily won at that point and we can focus on the next game now.

An enjoyable performance from us, one to enjoy for sure!

OldTrevil

We have continued our dominant performances from the league restart and it was a great watch.

chicha14

What a difference having Bruno and Pogba instead of Lingard and Perreira in midfield makes...

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Somehow, after all the years since SAF left, we finally have a team!

Best team in the world? No.

Do we look dangerous and like we can actually play football again? Finally, yes we do. Brilliant to see.

If somehow we can keep the momentum going until the end of the season, we could have a stab next year.

Man of the Match

Anthony Martial image Anthony Martial 92% of 359 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 371 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sheffield Utd win
  • Draw