PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:0 Sheffield United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 24 June 2020

Gator Nate

Martial's most complete performance this year. Maybe ever. Three beautiful goals. That smile will be shining for a while.

Rashford's rusty, but still had two beautiful assists. Not as bad as the match day thread implied.

Greenwood had chances and didn't capitalize, but still contributed massively.

Pogba was Pogba. Made things happen.

Bruno was trying to be Pogba. And he made a few things happen, but was a bit sloppy.

Matic moved around more today than I ever remember. Solid performance.

AWB just keeps improving offensively, never challenged much on the defensive side.

Shaw played a solid game. Also never challenged much defensively, and came close to making a thing or two happen.

Maguire and Lindelof... um... I think they played more offense than defense today.

DDG. They pointed the camera at him a few times just to prove he was in attendance.

Subs did a fine job, even threatened a couple of times.

Ole made the right lineups today. The team rewarded him for it.

Redfrog

Well done lads. Look dangerous with Pogba and Bruno pulling the strings. One or two additions and we are looking like a very serious team . Well done ole
Well said mate. Rashford and Martial have a really good understanding and are very good technicaly too !
We can criticise Ole all we want but I believe in him because the players he wants in the team are great with the ball and the combinations today show that. I am all in to let him to buy some more players...we will be great again !
Too much people focus on tactics but great players make great teams. Tactics matters of course but if you want to be a great manager you have mostly to recruit well and motivate every player.

Last edited:

SirScholes

Couldn't ask for anything more. Minimal effort, easy win, nice boost to GD, some excellent football, Martial hat-trick and looks like no injuries. Keep them coming like that and we'll catch Leicester with ease.
Yip they play away to Chelsea arsenal and spurs before we play them on the last day, every chance

BestRed

Great game, excellent performances all over the pitch today. Lovin the job Ole's doing with this team.

The Original

So one awesome run from nothing, a brilliant cross Igahlo should have done better with, great ball retention, energy and dribbling throughout, and solid defensively. It was a very good display. Sorry he is't Roberto Carlos. You really have the blinkers on mate. Anyway maybe he is sold this summer and a great player is signed..... make a wish.

Rahsford is finding his feet again, playing poorly but still x2 assists. Nothing to do with Shaw.
Well my good friend, I haven't said he was poor, I said he wasn't world class. And as you acknowledge that he is no Roberto Carlos, that does imply that you agree even if you don't like to admit it.

Blinkers on means you're seeing what you want to see because of some reason peculiar to yourself. I have no reason to not like Shaw, ergo, no blinkers. You on the other hand obviously like him, ergo, blinkers.

Now I didn't say Shaw was the reason Rashford didn't play well, I said Shaw had lot's of chances to pass forward as Rashford made so many runs but he would look up stare at Rashford till he got offside, then pass back. And if that continues, obviously, Rashford won't get the service he ought to get.

tjb

Bruno Fernandes surprised me a little with one element. Hie movement off the ball in behind the striker was really good to see. It will enhance our attacks.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Strongest XI started and it showed. One of the best performances of the season against a top 4 rival. Excellent job.
It is an excellent job when you consider we started the season with possibly the weakest squads in our PL history. We've come on leaps and bounds since then, so much so that we're no more than a signing or two away from a challenging again.

Right now, we're in the best shape we've been in post-Fergie. I genunely believe that too.

MrBest

I do agree in usual circumstances but being 3 goals up, in major heat and a congested fixture list for the next few months I much rather us sit back and pass it around. That energy saved could be the difference between a win and a draw later on.
Agree but 5 fresh players on the pitch?

MrBest

Ole was right I think. The players just came back from a 3 months break and we will play 2 times a week. He wants to keep our best team fresh and particulary our front 5 to unlock defenses.
Pogba and Rashford just came back from injuries as well.
More goals would have been nice but goal difference doesn't really matter as we are ahead of Chelsea
Was a fresh front 5, Pogba and Rashford had been taken off.

MrBest

There was too many changes at that point. And quite a step down in quality.
Fair point on quality, I just wanted to see that urgency from the second string players, really try to stake a claim to a starting position.

Untd55

Bugger, I forgot to watch it. Goals look good, though. I'm guessing we played well?

Matic, Pogba, and Fernandes - nice to see this midfield was played

Saw Rashford miss and Martial tackling Pogba.

Robertd0803

A result never in doubt. Great performance and more of that will do very nicely.

Also its so weird that Martials is the first hat-trick since RVPs.

Icemav

Well my good friend, I haven't said he was poor, I said he wasn't world class. And as you acknowledge that he is no Roberto Carlos, that does imply that you agree even if you don't like to admit it.

Blinkers on means you're seeing what you want to see because of some reason peculiar to yourself. I have no reason to not like Shaw, ergo, no blinkers. You on the other hand obviously like him, ergo, blinkers.

Now I didn't say Shaw was the reason Rashford didn't play well, I said Shaw had lot's of chances to pass forward as Rashford made so many runs but he would look up stare at Rashford till he got offside, then pass back. And if that continues, obviously, Rashford won't get the service he ought to get.
Its a common narrative and reaction to Shaw. People struggle to credit him, and often do so very reluctantly and with caveats. And saying he is not Roberto Carlos is not me giving credence to you. There has never been another fullback in history like Roberto Carlos. I was telling you to wake up and stop dreaming. Not that i am Carlos' biggest fan, though I mention him for a reason as it gets the fanboys excited. Case in point. By the way I have also just noticed that Matic isn't Xavi, and Mcguire isn't Maldini.

I don't think Shaw is world class. Nor Martial. I have criticized both heavily in the past. Credit and criticize when it merits. I have been so infuriated with Martial at times that I wanted him out of the club. Shaw at times I did not mind if sold. Do I in this present moment want that.... no. This is called not having blinkers on.

Both put in world class performances today. Not a hard thing to say. Hope it continues because their attitudes seem spot on right now.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It was a good win and comfortable win which I was expecting tbf. Sheffield United are a decent side and have had a good season but their team is no match for our attackers especially now Pogba has Bruno alongside him in a central role. Our defense and Matic had a easy game from a defensive pov. Still a long way to go and much bigger tests lay ahead next season, but all credit to our attackers who made it look easy for us.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It is an excellent job when you consider we started the season with possibly the weakest squads in our PL history. We've come on leaps and bounds since then, so much so that we're no more than a signing or two away from a challenging again.

Right now, we're in the best shape we've been in post-Fergie. I genunely believe that too.
Hmmm...

Icemav

Fair point on quality, I just wanted to see that urgency from the second string players, really try to stake a claim to a starting position.
Me too. Most of the urgency still seemed to come from the starters.

davidmichael

Chelsea are really good and will give us a run. If we can drag Leicester back into this, we will easily get top 4
Yes they are but City won’t want Liverpool potentially winning the league at their ground so will go all out to beat Chelsea tomorrow, if that happens I fancy us to finish above Chelsea.

They’ve got to go to Liverpool, Leicester, Sheffield United and a derby against West Ham as well as playing Wolves who seem to make life hard for all the top 6 teams so I can see Chelsea losing at least a couple of those games and maybe a draw or two in the others.

We’ve got to go to Norwich, Brighton and Villa whilst playing Bournemouth, Southampton and West Ham at home with our only (on paper) hard game being Leicester on the last day.

Of course that’s all hypothetical but we’ve really built up some momentum and as we showed last season when Ole was caretaker when we build momentum we’re very hard to stop and can beat absolutely anyone in the league.

mav_9me

That 3rd goal is up there for our goal of season imo. Everything from Pogba's pass to the finish was exquisite. Great team goal.

Icemav

That 3rd goal is up there for our goal of season imo. Everything from Pogba's pass to the finish was exquisite. Great team goal.
Pogba - Bruno - Martial - Rashford - Martial - GOAL

Perfection.

Just what we were dreaming of.

OleBoiii

A 13 game unbeaten run, 33 goals scored and just 3 goals conceded in that run.
That's crazy.

10 clean sheets in a run that contains City x2, Chelsea, Tottenham, Wolves and Sheffield. Out of these only Tottenham managed to score, and that was a mistake by DDG.

Skåre Willoch

Buzzing.

I didn’t even think Martial had that in him, great effort. Hope this gives him some confidence, and that tap ins become a regular thing for the lad. A proper 9 performance today!

Rashford unlucky to not get a goal as well. I think he was good, but perhaps a bit sloppy. Two lovely assists, still.

Pogba world class in what seemed like a box-to-boxish role.

Obi Wan was even doing something offensively.

I think Matic is the way to go in that midfield for now, good performance by him as well.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
What was world class about Shaw's performance?

Put in one good cross that I can remember but was very ordinary otherwise. Also does a remarkable amount of back passing even when Rashford is making runs ahead of him.
Made me laugh out loud, thanks. Unlike some other sports, back and side passes are part of the game. Interestingly, in Gaelic fooball in the sixties and seventies, you would almost never see a back pass, it was considered unmanly :). Now with the possession game in that game too, its become commonplace. Anyway, hope you get promoted, mate. Shaw was immense today. Lindelof did will too. Let's be fair, apart from Mr Rashford needing to sharpen up a bit, it was pretty much the complete performance.

Skåre Willoch

Also, the commentator mentioned that this was the first hat trick by a Man United player in the league since RVP seven years ago?! Unreal, and about bloody time.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Buzzing.

I didn’t even think Martial had that in him, great effort. Hope this gives him some confidence, and that tap ins become a regular thing for the lad. A proper 9 performance today!

Rashford unlucky to not get a goal as well. I think he was good, but perhaps a bit sloppy. Two lovely assists, still.

Pogba world class in what seemed like a box-to-boxish role.

Obi Wan was even doing something offensively.

I think Matic is the way to go in that midfield for now, good performance by him as well.
He reminded me of Carrick today. Always loved Matic anyway. That could have been my favourite United team since the SAF era.

Skåre Willoch

He reminded me of Carrick today. Always loved Matic anyway. That could have been my favourite United team since the SAF era.
I think I agree with your last sentence there. The awesome blend of young academy players with a sprinkle of French and Portuguese class.

SirAnderson

Bugger, I forgot to watch it. Goals look good, though. I'm guessing we played well?

Matic, Pogba, and Fernandes - nice to see this midfield was played

Saw Rashford miss and Martial tackling Pogba.
Wow, I'd be crying if I forgot this match. Ouch. Was brilliant match, first Prem Hattrick post Fergie, what a match to miss.

Fts 74

Excellent performance, couldn't of asked for more really.

Carry on like this we'll get top 4.

The Original

Made me laugh out loud, thanks. Unlike some other sports, back and side passes are part of the game. Interestingly, in Gaelic fooball in the sixties and seventies, you would almost never see a back pass, it was considered unmanly :). Now with the possession game in that game too, its become commonplace. Anyway, hope you get promoted, mate. Shaw was immense today. Lindelof did will too. Let's be fair, apart from Mr Rashford needing to sharpen up a bit, it was pretty much the complete performance.
Interesting insights there on Gaelic football...:)thanks for the promotion wishes.

Raw

That's crazy.

10 clean sheets in a run that contains City x2, Chelsea, Tottenham, Wolves and Sheffield. Out of these only Tottenham managed to score, and that was a mistake by DDG.
The other two was one against Everton away (a terrible De Gea mistake) and 1 against Brugge which wasn't great defending. Mignolet hoofed it up front and their striker managed to latch onto it and chip Romero.

1 goal in 13 due to poor defending though isn't bad at all though. Just wish De Gea would get a grip!

Suv666

Brilliant performance. We need to get the maximum points from our remaining matches, looking at the fixture list, a very achievable task.
Sheffield were piss poor.

dalriada

Only one complaint from me, really minor too. I don't get why for the last 11 minutes we didn't really try to score a 4th and 5th. We do this all the time, top teams should be looking to score all the time. I'll put it down to heat exhaustion for now.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed sitting back stress free, watching us dominate the game. Man of match is really hard. Could be Martial for this three goals or one of Pogba, Matic and Bruno who all ran the show showcasing there abilities.
The heat, only our second game since the restart, no sense in making players run around, although goal difference may be an issue if Wolves continue to stay with us. Good to use all five subs so that half the outfield players aren't playing a full 90 minutes at this stage, but we'll need those players on Saturday so I guess they were happy to settle for 3-0 in his instance.
Martial gets MOTM for me for the goals.

Fitchett

Brilliant performance and thoroughly enjoyable to watch a proper United team display. It reminded me of a World cup tournament game in that our quality was too much for Sheffield United in the summer heat. That has to be our best starting eleven at the moment.

Even more pleasing was that I correctly predicted the starting line up and match score

Man of the Match

Anthony Martial image Anthony Martial 92% of 359 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 371 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sheffield Utd win
  • Draw