PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:0 Sheffield United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 24 June 2020

dalriada

They said Ole was clueless. They said he would ruin us. And it's just the first full season. Imagine the "damage" he can do with couple more transfer windows. ;)
I like that he's still not satisfied with the performance and was pushing for the team to put games to bed in the first half. I think some people underestimate the ambition Ole has to return us to the success he knew as a player.

ReallyUSA

Team looked great and I'll eat my words. Give Pogba a new one, we need him.

TheRedHearted

Turns out, having not two midfielders who can pick locks instead of none makes quite the difference. If Pogba stays and he and Bruno develops their chemistry we will become much more unpredictable and hard to defend against.
And if he goes I think Graelish can slot in well there. Those two can’t play every game so we honestly need another one, young talent with promise in that position. But who? I love Mata and could be good in the dressing room but could he start against lesser sides and unlock them against either Bruno or pogba? I really don’t think so. The “old” Mata from Chelsea yes. We need to be investing in youth in that type of creative workhorse midfielder role. Periera should be moved on as well.
Great result and I hope we can keep on. This is what we’re capable of.

Reactions: van der star

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Anthony Martial's first senior hattrick absolutely deserves man of the match, what a brilliant night for him. He highlighted the two classic number 9 goals he scored and how the manager was very happy with him. I could see his face on the substitute bench, he had that same cheesy grin the night I had when I got a nintendo for christmas when I was 8. Absolute glee.

Apart from Martial's memorable night, Nemanja Matic was the player of the match for me. Possibly his best game in the Manchester United shirt.

RyRy11

Agree but 5 fresh players on the pitch?
As far as I saw, the subs injected a lot of energy that couldn’t be sustained by the defence and Matic who were more than happy to slow down the game and pass amongst themselves

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
This goes to show that all the people criticising Martial are literally not watching the game 90% of the time.

The guy is lethal in front of goal if and when he gets chances. If we create 3-4 good chances a game and he gets 2 of them, he's guaranteed to score.

The same cannot be said for Rashford but we know there's a double standard there due to (mostly) nationality and passionism.

passing-wind

Super performance super result, just maintain the momentum Sheffield are a very good team.

LoneStar

Dominant performance. We played so direct, it was just the players trying to score a goal with the least amount of passes and touches. Lovely stuff, long may this continue.

Pleased for Martial, hattrick in the PL after such a long time for us. If we took our chances, could have easily been 5/6 goals.

lex talionis

Professional. Clinical. Phenomenal.

Yes, we can all agree the opposition was a babe in the woods, but we've been dropping points to such clubs for years. The story today was Martial, who molted the skin of a boy and, finally, played like the man we knew he could become. Now for the hard part...doing scoring goals on a consistent basis.

Handré1990

I really enjoyed this game :D Not one bad performance. Martial obviously MoM with our first PL hattrick since SAF. Matic was flawless. Rashford a bit rusty, could have had a couple of goals, but two assists is still very impressive. Pogba and Bruno looks like a winning combo. The rest of the players were good to very good. Another assist from AWB to Martial:) Shaw should‘ve had one right at the end if Ighalo had been sharper. This is looking very promising!

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Thought we looked very different to how we've looked against "weaker" sides in years. Really happy with that performance.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
It is an excellent job when you consider we started the season with possibly the weakest squads in our PL history. We've come on leaps and bounds since then, so much so that we're no more than a signing or two away from a challenging again.

Right now, we're in the best shape we've been in post-Fergie. I genunely believe that too.
I definitely agree. It's a very good squad with lots of potential. Even the midfield looks really competitive.

Exciting times ahead :drool:

Brightonian

Third goal is a blueprint for exactly how we want Pogba-Bruno-Rashford-Martial to work. Pogba with the incisive pass from deep to start the attack. Bruno with the flick to pull the defensive shape apart. Martial and Rashford with the one-two to put Martial through and the Frenchman with the delightful finish, of course.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Felt very much like one of those easy, drama free wins that we used to take for granted under SAF, especially in his later years.

There's a confidence about the team at the minute.

pacifictheme

Only one complaint from me, really minor too. I don't get why for the last 11 minutes we didn't really try to score a 4th and 5th. We do this all the time, top teams should be looking to score all the time. I'll put it down to heat exhaustion for now.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed sitting back stress free, watching us dominate the game. Man of match is really hard. Could be Martial for this three goals or one of Pogba, Matic and Bruno who all ran the show showcasing there abilities.
I disagree. We've got loads of games and it was won. Just save energy. Arsenal under wenger were good at thrashing a team one week and getting beat by a shit team the next and I always felt united under fergie managed games better so we could conserve energy when we could. Especially towards the end.

Mr Smith

Really comfortable performance, which is great to be able to say. I was occasionally frustrated we didn't move the ball quicker, bit it did look hot out there, and it's actually probably a saving grace we were able to win a game without getting out of second gear given the upcoming run in.

Zlatattack

Really pleased with this win. We need to build on this squad in the transfer window. We're not too far from being a decent side.

Galactico

Lots of positives today. Was also great to see AWB putting in a good offensive shift. Clearly some progress has been made there.

Devil may care

You usually have to pay good money to get dominated like that! I don't think we let them out of their half in the second half, even when we made 5 changes at once we never took the foot off their neck, very good performance.

Okey

Beautiful, dominant performance. Thoroughly enjoyed every moment of that. Keeping the ball so well, and clinical when chances came (Rashford is still rusty, but made up with 2 assists). Coming of age night for Martial? Bruno sustaining his influence, clearly our number 1 player now. Matic excellent. Shaw very good too. We've kept good form for several games in a row now, you feel the team are finally hitting peak gel. 2 or 3 good signings and we will indeed be competing again. Viva United!!!

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I like that he's still not satisfied with the performance and was pushing for the team to put games to bed in the first half. I think some people underestimate the ambition Ole has to return us to the success he knew as a player.
Hear! hear!

Ambition, dedication, AND skills. Ole is doing too many things right to be the kind of incapable newb some are trying hard to paint him as.

Lj82

Happiest he's ever looked her for sure.
Great to see.

Converting his one goal performances into more is his major challenge.
To be fair to him, he had 16 goals already for us before this game despite the lengthy injury this season. He has been in fine form. A lot of crucial goals against big teams too.

Lj82

Fantastic result and a great watch. I really do hope we see as much of that sort of performance as possible between now and the end of the season as we'd be looking good for Top 4 on that form. (I know 5th May be enough, but still).

And finally, a fecking hat trick! Well done to Martial! The 3rd goal was a beauty and you could see we were verging on chances like that a lot today. Some great play out there. I think the manager will be possibly even happier with the first 2 goals however, as he's constantly been on about how out forwards do score enough of them. He's not wrong and if we do keep getting them we'll be in for a very nice end to the season.
That's exactly what Martial said, that Ole will be pleased with the first two goals as he wanted Martial to score more from the 6 yard box like a number 9

moodyred

Easy. Enjoying United's football again. We need to get past Chelsea. Every time we get the chance, we have blown it so far. Let's make sure we get across the finishing line before them.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Wasn't the best game due to the fact Sheffield United seem to have remembered they're a Championship side, but some of our football in short spells was really good. Particularly in the first half hour.

DDG - So good he stopped the opposition even having any shots in the first place

Bissaka - Every time he sets up a goal will forever be accompanied by a backhanded compliment by someone needing to mention that attacking play is a weak part of his game. Even though he's set up three seperate goals now this season by single handedly beating his man and putting a chance on a plate for our forwards.
Maguire - Just seen him admit on MUTV that he had to take himself out of his own fantasy football team because he was doing so shite. So there is that. Back to looking good today though.
Lindelof - He still doesn't look like someone who should have an arm tattoo
Shaw - So determined to pick up his traditional bring someone down from behind booking that he actually set up Sheffield United's attack for them just so he could do it.

Matic - Must have been fuming when he turned up for the first training session and realised he was the only one who hadn't snuck out to get a haircut.
Pogba - Disciplined and classy in equal measure which is encouraging. Clearly got bored in the second half and started edging further forwards, but not a problem against a team who basically had 11 goalkeepers.
Fernandes - I love him

Greenwood - Needs to start more...although looks like someone who found Greenwood during lockdown and beat him up.
Martial - He could be a 30 goal a season player if he spends enough time playing in the middle like he did today. He's also so smooth. He doesn't have to shave because hair just rolls off his face.
Rashford - If you take out the fact he had the shooting ability of a drunk Anderson he had a good game.

Socially disanced goal celebrations - I'm guessing our players didn't get the memo
Stopping the game because a player who can clearly walk/run chooses to just sit down in the middle of the pitch - Why?

RobbieBerns

The third goal is exactly what we were all waiting for unsure we would ever see once we signed Bruno. Midfield dissecting ball from Pogba that finds Bruno behind the lines, lovely first time Bruno flick to Tony, one two with Rashford for a beautiful dink over the top. Just dream work stuff. Add Sancho to the ranks and we’re a side capable of challenging on all fronts.

He'sRaldo

Bissaka - Every time he sets up a goal will forever be accompanied by a backhanded compliment by someone needing to mention that attacking play is a weak part of his game. Even though he's set up three seperate goals now this season by single handedly beating his man and putting a chance on a plate for our forwards.
True, the criticism will get old quickly if he keeps it up.

Lam

This is how a game against a lower team should be at Home. Boring with some key moments, few goals, and a clean sheet. We have had far too many “exciting” games against weaker teams at home.

I want us to now go and win one of two cups and comfortably finish in the top 4.

Oles summer target:

1. clear the deadwood - CBs, Lingard, Pereira, Sanchez (we still own him?), Mata?

2. buy a great RW who becomes an automatic starter - Greenwood, James and Ighalo as back up to the front 4. Probably one younger number 9 also

3. get a CB like Rio

croadyman

I know this is going to sound daft but that felt like England v Scotland in Euro 96.

We all got hyped for the Switzerland game only to draw but bounced back with a comfortable win in next game

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
This 5 subs feels like a freaking cheat code also! :lol:
My favorite bit of the match other than the hat-trick. Not just for the novelty of it, but the depth we can now display when healthy. We fielded maybe our strongest 11 and still had an actual #9 on the bench, Scotty or Fred at CM, a CB some had starting...

That will come in handy with this accelerated fixture list in the summer heat.

Man of the Match

Anthony Martial image Anthony Martial 92% of 359 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 371 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sheffield Utd win
  • Draw