PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:2 Sheffield United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 27 January 2021

Cultured left ankle

Awful. not sure why some are jumping on de Gea; I'm not a huge fan of his, but the match was lost because we were utterly diabolical everywhere. what on earth was going on with that second goal?

I wonder if we would have been better playing VdB and Mata over Bruno and Rashford. there's little point in having pace with Sheff Utd sitting so deep, and a bit of finesse would have been good. Hindsight and all that, maybe.

Martial, though. My word.

MacarisSocks

Martial needs to go, absolutely toothless.

He stands there, expects the ball to feet then loses it.

Passing has been awful, never runs in behind... he is a complete passenger.

This season was never going to be a title run, but again it shows the fact United need a CB, a winger and a CDM.

Matic was pedestrian today in his passing, three or four touches before passing.

Really terrible performance, I'll take top 4 this season.
And then he takes the scapegoat Greenwood off?

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
If any Utd fan had kidded themselves that a limited manager like Ole can sustain a title challenge will have their answer tonight. When you cannot fallback on team football than hoping for individual performances to bail you out will show up like tonight's game.
This is what i and others have been saying. We rely on individual brilliance to score. We cannot break down teams that sit back because we dont know how to.

We do well against the big teams then because they attack us and leave gaps like Liverpool last sunday.

Sanchez7

One of our worst results in years against one of the worst PL sides in history.

Two flukey goals from them and they spent the rest of the game running around all fat and sweaty just getting in the way of slow football. Jagielka is 38 and has a beer belly for fecks sake.

Cringing losing against a team so bad.
Managed to get the better of Martial pretty much everytime except that one free kick he gave away. Pathetic.

Son

Huge opportunity for City to create some gap, especially when you bear in mind how unpredictable we are, and how unstoppable they look
We aren’t beating them to the title I will guarantee that. We aren’t good enough to go the whole way if they pick up form.

They cheat though so it’s all a bit unfair really and has been for years.

OrcaFat

Bad result of course. Performance wasn't that bad really and their goals were out of nothing in each case and both off the woodwork so pretty unlucky for us.

Our attack looked very blunt against the deep and packed defence. Probably should have played Cavani from the start; we have to rest him sometime but maybe today was not the right day for that.

Some players maybe mentally drained from Sunday.

Still. Gutted to lose to this shower.

OldSchoolManc

Pathetic. Looked like they expected to win without doing anything.
De Gea poor. Martial the worst on the pitch. No effort. Shouldn’t start another game this season

Will Singh

De Gea is spineless, defence play like a bunch of kids at the park who've never played together. Martial needs to go, Rashford needs to be dropped until he decides if he wants to be a footballer or a humanitarian. Ole needs to learn that he can make changes anytime and not just the 65th minute and that he doesn't have to sub like for like especially if were chasing!

I've had a enough of this bollox, Im fed up of this mentality of passing sideways all the fecking time, AWB is the biggest culprit! Raging is putting it politely!!!!!!!

Mbappe2021

Supports
Real madrid
Sheffield have only one thing going for them and that is physicality and they have balls something the likes of martial,rashford lack people were scared out there,never saw rashford and Anthony or even pombal drive with the ball,really disappointed with martial he doesn't even want to run with the ball anymore.

Irwinning

Thats a bottle job and it has been a long time coming.

Deliberate weakening of the defence is not going to win you points if you struggle against similar teams to win by more than a single goal (see Burnley, Wolves, Fulham etc).

Deserved it. And as for Pogba suggesting the team is more together, well he might think so, but I'm still not seeing a team in cohesion and haven't for a long time.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Someone tell Telles that he can actually dribble with the ball. He's not restricted to passing it back or crossing it to the box from midfield.

SirScholes

no luck today, ref allows their challenge on de gea but not maguires, and that toe punt was never going in.
But we should be doing more against this lot.

Martial should never lead our line up, rashford went quickly back into his shell, why does Cavani seem to care more than martial rashford and greenwood

rooney2009

2nd goal was terrible to concede,just left him free to keep shooting
There is something fundamentally wrong with the way this team is coached,why do we start so sluggishly
It is in acceptable and was always going to catch up with us
Why can we never start a game on the front foot.
We start...we pass the ball around, concede a goal and start chasing the game
So so disappointed tonight

Ainu

You can't explain that performance. Even if you ignore the, quite frankly mind-blowing, defensive shambles, the general level of play was so incredibly bad. I'm in awe.

What a result for Sheffield United though. Deserved, I'd say.

Tapori

That 2nd goal. As if time stood still.
Maguire's old habits came back
De Gea was so so poor. Trying to pass out?

Attacking wise, no penetration, no bravery in the final third to hold, dictate and play in and around. No good decisons or cohesion.

Reality check indeed.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
First goal a foul. Second a deflection. What De Gea and Telles were up to in the build up to the 2nd goal was beyond me.

Telles has a wand of a left foot but cannot defend for toffee.

MyDevil

Is there a zero rating that I can put for Martial. Can't believe Greenwood was sub off and not him.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Was saying this in the buildup, but I was waiting for this. You could see this loss coming. As much as I've enjoyed us being top, it never really felt sustainable, or a true reflection of how good we actually are.

We have been resilient, I'll give us that. But there have been so many times where a game could've gone either way. This result doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Gazautd18

It's fitting that erectile dysfunction advert comes on after watching that.

caid

Thought they packed the middle and left space wide and we had nothing to offer on the wings so it was fairly easy for them. No presence in the middle till Cavani came on, Rashford and Greenwood just didn't have enough impact, both fairly anonymous. Players who came in didn't have great games, not easy to do a job after being out of the team for a while but yeah, maybe the more regular players should have done better to cover for them.
Feels like luck has come home to roost a bit. Wasn't an abnormal performance, just didn't get the breaks or moments of magic that have dug us out of holes previously

AnotherDayIsToday

The declared genius!

There is no aggressivity and a hell off fault passes.

City wins the league United will struggle with 4th place again.

Falcow

Maybe Ighalo was our lucky charm all along? We were shit before he arrived....

Red & White

Horrendous performance. Embarrassing. What a time to put in a display like that. I know we’ve been just edging games for weeks but I really thought we’d come out quick today and put the game to bed early.

I don’t even know where to start or finish with that. Gutted.

Burkeovic

Every player on that pitch today was a disgrace city will hammer this lot 5-0 on Saturday.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Martial has been a huge disappointment so far this season. No urgency from him. No aggression and I’m sat here pondering what a real CF can do for us. Cavani in the little minutes he got today showed more than Martial in his movement and aggression. It’s night and day. Ole got his team selection wrong today. Mason is not in form and shouldn’t be starting today. I would have gone with Mata and get a bit of control. Fred and McTominay was a must. We needed energy in that midfield. Although Telles got his assist, why leave out Shaw? Why was Lindelof on the bench? We really underestimated Sheffield United tonight and this is exactly what separates us from Liverpool and City in my view. When they were going for the title in the last few years, it was you win, I win. You win, I win. When it really matters we fail to capitalise. At the same time, I still feel like this result was early enough in our season to ensure this doesn’t happen again for a while. Who knows.

Chicharito_

Have not won a game by 2 goals in 10 matches, you keep making it hard for yourself eventually you will get punished.

Ludens the Red

When you consider the level of opposition that is the worse performance I’ve ever seen in my life as United fan.
Utterly pathetic, embarrassing from every single player.
No effort, no running, no movement, garbage defending, incompetent game management.
The two goals conceded you probably wouldn’t expect to see at League Two level.

Why does Martial keep getting to start games?

Why was Matic playing as some weird deep lying left back?

Why did we again wait so late to make subs?

What makes it so bad was it was against an absolutely useless team. Playing the last half hour like it’s the last minute. Booting the ball in the air, lacking any sort of composure, probably the shitest team we’ve played all season. Genuinely a completely unexplainable ninety minutes .

Twisted Nerve

Absolutely raging. Their 2nd goal was indescribably bad.
As soon as De Gea 'cleared' the ball with that piss-weak kick that went straight to a Sheff player I knew it was coming back in. Shit from De Gea today.

PureCantona7

I'm telling you they saw city top of the table before the game started and bottled it. What ole was thinking with Axel to take on his pressure only he knows he fecked up big time. Then he goes to suck up to Wilder???

Martial is shit and a pisstaker and Rashford couldn't give a damn bunch of bottlers can't string 3 passes.

We ain't winning sweet f.a this season no point wishful thinking that we are. Made Jalkelka look like Maldini.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
This is what you get when you go on pitch thinking you already won. I hope they have learned the lesson. Poor, poor display. Nothing more.

Rashford, Tuanzebe, DeGea, Martial should be ashamed.
Rashford is entitled to an off game to be fair, he has been one of our best players this season. Tuanzebe is not ready and it's on Ole for starting him. DDG hasn't been great for a couple of years now. Martial is the one who should be ashamed, he has been nothing but pathetic all season.

Player Ratings

4.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 368 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sheffield Utd win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Man Utd 3:0 Sheffield Utd
  • 23% Man Utd 2:0 Sheffield Utd