PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:2 Sheffield United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 27 January 2021

Betson

Rio highlighting Martial, he must have an "agenda" as well.

Not just Martial tonight , but Martial is always half hearted in his approach.

The lack of urgency highlighted by Rio for their 2nd goal is criminal from us.

We just don't have that mentality that teams who win things have.

spiriticon

I'm actually on the verge of tears. I really am beside myself tonight after watching that.

Sheffield United jesus christ :houllier:

It cannot be. Someone's rigged this game. It needs to be investigated for match fixing.

Judas

Open to offers
Give us the ball, sit back, and too often we're buggered, weirdly especially at home. We've seen that sort of performance from this side far too many times.

I'm so disappointed, yet not all that surprised. It's just such a waste.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Top Reds will be happy. They can show off how loyal they are.

Crazy season.
The fact that point scoring over other fans is one of your first thoughts is pretty insightful.

NK86

Anyone have a gif of Rashford just giving up chasing back on 55 minutes for McGoldricks shot. Just summed up is mentality tonight.
Noticed that. Stood there like a cone while the SHU players basically ran past him.

Will put this on tiredness though with the fixtures coming thick and fast. He generally never shirks off his defensive duties.

Martial on the other hand has always been crap while defending.

Mbappe2021

Supports
Real madrid
Really I am done with martial he plays as if he has made i have been one of his biggest defender but damn the way he just seems to always lose his balance and goes the floor does my head,so big but weak as fick really can't understand but rashford is the same the guy was also scared to even control the ball because of the hard challenges coming from the Sheffield players.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Just watching Rio dissect that second goal. Martial, Matic and Telles were absolutely appalling.
It was just an utterly ludicrous goal. At one stage the ball was about 2cm from De Gea on the line and we had to half clear it to the edge of the box, and then we let that big lug, who Sutton seems to think is some incredible "threat" have two crap efforts at it.

Houdini

I'm actually on the verge of tears. I really am beside myself tonight after watching that.

It cannot be. Someone's rigged this game. It needs to be investigated for match fixing.
The second goal looked exactly like that.

dogwithabone

When a manager rests players, like tonight, it can’t do anything but send a message to those playing that even the manager is taking the game a bit lightly and with an air of expectancy.

This should have been the strongest eleven possible, put the game to bed and then make the necessary changes on the hour - or even at half time.

I wouldn’t chuck the players under the bus when its the boss who set the tone with his team selection. The right message to the team would have been to start with his go to pairing, in big matches, of McTominay and Fred. The message then is clear.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Strange game. Disappointing result, and many players weren't good enough, but overall we had more shots on target, more of the ball, and on another night we could have gotten a result.

Though I'm still not sure about DDG, he wasn't at fault for the goals. The first was a foul on him, which shouldn't have stood (and to add insult to injury the ref disallowed the goal we scored in similar circumstances). The second was a deflection.

We made mistakes with the line up. Matic and Pogba should not be on the field at the same time. We made too many changes to the defence and had two players there who weren't in form.

Martial shouldn't be playing any time soon. Playing him into form hasn't worked, and top teams can't afford passengers.

A real slap in the face, but not the end of the world.

MacarisSocks

We knew there would be an adrenalin dump after the Liverpool game but its the management's job to pick.the right team and get the players fighting and firing for top spot.... they failed.

shazzmufc

Cavani might not have been at it tonight, but the difference between him leading the line vs Martial is night and day.

I thought Martial should have come off instead of Greenwood, even though the latter didn't have the best game either. But at least that way Rashford wouldn't have been forced out on the right, where he's not as effective. It's like we compromised ourselves twice over by keeping Tony on.

I was really happy to see Tony perform as he did last season, but he has been totally off it this season. He shouldn't be starting games at the moment. I reckon Ole is trying to protect his confidence and hoping something clicks for him. Maybe it's time for an impact sub approach instead.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'll just put my thoughts in the post match thread to vent so I don't pollute all the other threads with negativity.

In context that was probably our worst performance of the season, including the 1-6. That could at least be somewhat forgiven due to a lack of pre-season and transfers, there's no excuses for this. We're fresh off the back of a fantastic performance against Liverpool and we've been looking good all season. There's not a single player on that pitch tonight who gets above a 2/10 for me, with some of the worst performers I'd be tempted to dip into negative numbers. There was a lack of fight and that's what annoyed me the most, we're a far better team than whatever turned up tonight, no way we should be getting outfought at home to one of the worst sides in recent PL memory.

I'm sick to death of Martial and Rashford, they're a huge problem and have been a waste of time in their off games, most baffling is to why they're never the ones taken off and regularly complete the 90. Their passing and first touches have been responsible for more possession turnovers than I can count. Martial has 2 goals in 16 PL games, that's Bobby Zamora-esque.

Solskjaer got it all wrong tonight, Matic was a poor inclusion and how he finished the game is beyond me, not that there weren't others equally as poor but Matic was essentially running through treacle at the end. Somehow Fred remained on the bench the entire time to, what, save him for Arsenal? It's just not good enough when we're already dropping points. Frankly, he's been playing with fire with his substitutions all season, coming far too late to make a difference and they barely ever impact the flow of the game, this sort of game has been coming. Not making that double change until the 80th minute again, how can he have been happy with the match up until that point?

The defending for that second goal was something else, I've never seen anything like it. I'd be embarassed watching Preston concede goals like that. I know de Gea got nudged for that first goal but he looked a bag of nerves at every corner and has all season. He's been weak for 2 and a half seasons now and it's cost us countless goals, when do we just say enough is enough?

At the end of the day what makes this game sting is because of how far we've come, a few seasons ago this would've been par for the course and I'd have felt nothing except apathy, but the disappointment feels a thousand times worse when there's something at stake. How we deal with overcoming this disappointment will be our true test of character. Need a much better response against Arsenal.

RedDevil@84

Hope this drills some urgency, sense and focus into our players. I guess all this title talk was putting some complacency in the player minds. We are nowhere near the levels of Pool or City. We will be inconsistent.

Focus on the Arsenal game. Let us be up for it.

man united 4eva

Absolute shambles from back to front.. i knew from the first 15 minutes that we'd struggle tonight.. Axel is nowhere near good enough.. and on that performance neither are a few others.. Our title challenge is a false dawn... It wouldn't surprise that City knock 5 past these without breaking a sweat.. It feels like all the good work in the league this season has been undone right now... I'm blaming it all on the players tonight.. not Ole.. :mad:

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Noticed that. Stood there like a cone while the SHU players basically ran past him.

Will put this on tiredness though with the fixtures coming thick and fast. He generally never shirks off his defensive duties.

Martial on the other hand has always been crap while defending.
We have to start Cavani up top or maybe Mason. Martial just does not have the strikers instinct to play up top. Having a torrid season.

Houdini

Ola ays that there will be no transfers so boys can switch off. That's how it looks like.

90 + 5min

That second goal. We need to put it for players 1 hour every day between now and next game before training session. It was so comical.

Betson

Ole understandably looking more frustrated than he has been since he came here, tonight is not a night for arms around shoulders , it is night for a Roy Keane approach of knocking a few heads together. A few players need to hear a few home truths.

This season could unravel very quickly with such a mentally fragile bunch as we have.

AnotherDayIsToday

We need some tough players, sign Grealish and dont buy Jardon Sanzes, buy Haaland and sell Martial and Rashford they are useless. Pay what it takes!

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

Its like a really bad night terror.

Hawkeye311055

This result has been coming. No desire. Martial ambles around the pitch - embarrassing. Should be dropped from now on. Whole team showed no desire or urgency.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
This match highlighted all the issues in this side and how title talk is too soon. The 2nd goal defending is absolutely criminal. On attacking side also, we hardly troubled them. There can be games like this when such results happen but you feel "that was not meant to be" only after you see side giving their all. We on contrary, don't. We don't seem to be giving even 75%. In this unbeaten run of ours also, we have just about done enough without being convincing. As title winners, you need the sort of convincing wins City are putting together and you can grind out results when once in a while things don't go right.

eire-red

Watching Rio's analysis of the second goal, and you have to feel that goal absolutely does not happen with McTominay and Fred in midfield.

We lacked that aggression, way too passive. If only McTominay and Fred brought a little more guile and control, but you have to feel that defensive lapse wouldn't have happened.

yamo123x

Abysmal. I feel sick after that.

You can forgive the team a bad performance but you can’t forgive a lack of effort from individuals.

Tonight Martial hit rock bottom with me, his lazy arrogant ineffective performances have been grating on me for weeks and he needs a reality check. At the moment he is not fit to wear the shirt.

Our full backs were pointless tonight, in particular AWB who was breaking down so many moves with his inability to pass the ball. He is a massive weak link and anyway who has played the game must be able to see the many glaring weaknesses he has.

I hope tonight made us see that we need creative players who can move with the ball, Grealish is so desperately needed . A new right full back and another targetman forward

Murray3007

Seriously where do you even start ? usual pathetic start with no urgency, no desire, no hunger, no tempo, stroll around the park like its a friendly, team selection was weird as well, results been coming along time, you cant keep going behind in games in this league and get away with it. not a single united player on that park would get a 3/10 tonight, up there with one of the worst performances i have seen from united.

RashyForPM

As a collective, this is the worst United performance since we played these under LvG in the FA Cup. We had zero clear cut chances aside from maybe Greenwood’s miss.

De Gea - weak as per

AWB - still not a footballer

Tuanzebe - will never be good enough

Maguire - leader, and I’ll always defend him when he plays like how he has this season

Telles - Put him in Fergie’s last team and even Buttner and Fabio would scoff at him, let alone Evra. Probably train with the reserves.

Pogba - can’t criticise him too much after his recent contribution

Matic - Rubbish and past it

Greenwood - Let’s be honest, he’s having a poor season. He’ll be back though. He’s quality.

Bruno - Awful today

Rashford - Awful as well.

Martial - Genuinely the worst performance I’ve ever seen from a United striker in 13 years of supporting the club. He did nothing right and lost us the game along with Telles with the second goal. Useless and must be sold ASAP. Let’s not kid ourselves - he has been the worst starting striker in the league this season. Go through the teams if you’re not convinced. Even McGoldrick has 5 goals. Take £12m in this climate and sprint before the buyer realises what a horrific, awful, inconsistent, sulky, lacklustre player they just bought. People will quote me for this bit but honestly, I’m sure it’s how everyone feels about him.

Waynne

Hope Ole gets the hair dryer out and gives them a flogging.
I'd pay for Sir Alex to be left alone in the dressing room with this lot after that utter shite performance.
Ole won't do a damn thing. The best you can hope for is the old arm around the shoulder for encouragement.

Jacko21

Scarcely believable that second goal. Like a slow motion car crash watching them try to clear the ball.

Players need to clear their heads. Our season will quickly unravel otherwise.

Player Ratings

4.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 368 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Sheffield Utd win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Man Utd 3:0 Sheffield Utd
  • 23% Man Utd 2:0 Sheffield Utd