PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Sat, 30 December 2017

dmode

Excuses that are used week in, week out....all teams are tired, have injuries and dont always get the calls to go their way.
feck you. We will kill Everton tomorrow and everything will be back to normal. Stop moaning.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Our performances since the city game have been nothing short of shambolic. Had they been 6 points better off, how would they take this news today?

Because in football you just never know. They are at a low ebb I'm hoping this gives them a little lift. A long shot I know but one must always hope! Oh, and I don't mean win the league I mean, to not just give in.
Absolutely agree. They know in sports anything can happen. Disappointing. Moping around because of a loss when you have half a season left is just not on.

eat_grass

Yes they played very nice, cohesive attacking football up to the first substitution. They fell apart thereafter, having already conceded a soft early goal and missed some easy chances.
They created the easy chances to begin with, though, they weren't just handed to them by Leicester like City's goals were by us. That was the product of good football.

The failure to reorganise the defence following Smalling's injury was appalling. How was that not a shitty game :confused:
Jones and Mourinho both tried to reorganize the defense, but the players didn't carry out their orders (Young with Mourinho, Smalling and Young with Jones). It was a shitty ending to the game and an equally shitty result, but that doesn't take away the fact they played really well for 80 minutes (and conceded in the 95th minute).

My point is United haven't had three consecutive Southampton-type performances, as many are making it out to be.

Fully Fledged

We peaked so early in the season..this is like Arsenal's ritual calendar. Frustrating! By January we are already out of reach for major trophies.

I never panicked but that performance last night is something I couldn't take anymore.
We peaked against the 7 worst teams in the league at the time. Everton have improved under Big Sam but the rest are still extremely poor.

LeftyBlaster

Just watched the game. Hate to be proven right again but our attacking movement is non-existent and our decision making is horrid. Crossing is such a lazy LAZY way to go about attacking when we have the talent to work the ball. Feck off. Just feck off.

P.S also a big feck you to the "we are second" crowd.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Another disappointing day. It wws not a match where I felt we were out fought, but we increasingly look like 11 players rather than a team. I’m not sure I could describe what type of team we want to be right now, what our general strategy and tactics are. The hallmark of a good team is how you play in your periods of lesser form. Everyone looks good when a team is clicking, but when things aren’t going in your favour, what do you fall back on? We look undercoached in this regard.

I actually thought the Mkhi to Martial substitution was quite poor. As much as he was wasting his crossing opportunities, at least he was consistently getting himself in a position to get them. Martial again produced very little when coming on. Mou keeps throwing more and more increasingly attack-minded players on the pitch and we lose any semblance of controlling the game and the midfield. We lose any ability to be effective during the transitions. As the game wore on we failed to put Southampton under any concerted pressure and failed to make the keep make a single save during the final 30 minutes.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
One of the very worst performances I can remember. No pace, no passion, devoid of ideas and utterly pathetic against a side hammered by spurs a couple of days before. Mourinho is included in this criticism this time. no plan b - just send on different faces but keep tactics which are failing. Ben saying it for ages: we do not have enough (any?) world-class outfield players. I couldn't even bring myself to listen to whatever excuses he must have come up with. We barely tested a keeper who hadn't played in the PL for months. Awful, truly awful. If you can't score, you aren't going to come close to winning the tittle

saintquin

Supports
Southampton, Harlequins
Very happy with the point but, what a turd of a game!

Player Ratings

5.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 290 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Man Utd 2:0 Southampton
  • 15% Man Utd 2:1 Southampton