PL D FA Premier League

Southampton 2:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 01 December 2018

Schneckerl

I hate these stupid posts.
All players should be banned from using social media for 48 hours after a shit result.
Do they even handle their own official accounts? Or is that only for 'special' players who are in danger of making really stupid posts?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Do they even handle their own official accounts? Or is that only for 'special' players who are in danger of making really stupid posts?
He didn't really say anything that bad, he was one of the few players who came out of this with any credit. Now if it had been Pogba I would have lost my mind.

edgar allan

"Chris Smalling, Eric Bailly - if tomorrow they are ready to train I wouldn't be surprised."

Another jibe at players not playing through injury. He's basically the coach from Not Another Teen Movie now.

"Can he play?"
"He's in a coma.."
"Answer my question: CAN HE PLAY?!"
:lol:

Hoof the ball

Tottenham Hotspur, with zero investment over the summer, were only five points behind City at the beginning of the day.
Manchester United, with yet more investment, now looking to cement 7th place.

But of course, it's only because we didn't get our elusive mythical ball-playing Pokemon.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I hate these stupid posts.
All players should be banned from using social media for 48 hours after a shit result.
It's not the players. I'm amazed people still think it is. Who's sending them professional photos to post themselves? And every account (over)uses emojis in the exact same way.
They'll all have control for their stories but anything like this is the social media company.

steffyr2

We were set up poorly and took a while to get to grips, how did that pass you by? And then came back well, the players weren't walking around all game. Second half they came out and did nothing. Yes some 'fans' are not watching the game in front of them. Do you need reminding the starting line up and a handwalk through to the equalizer?
Back to my previous comment of 'poor babies'...U9 teams know the basics of football, why are our players so darned clueless?
And no, the players didn't walk around the entire game, there were a few minutes that they were running. Do you see that as a good thing?
Every player who started that game is a member of the Man Utd 1st team. Looking at them today, there's a lot of those 1st team players who aren't good enough, and the manager can't Frankenstein new ones into existence in a back room.
This season was lost when Mourinho didn't find out he wasn't getting the players he needed until the day before the season started. Sometimes I think Mourinho just lost enthusiasm when that happened, but on days like today i think the team is just a bunch of poorly performing (and ridiculously highly paid!) misfits.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Well, we are unbeaten in in several games (bar the MCFC game), so there is some positive.
We have failed to climb up the table, though, which sucks.

Dan600

Seeing those quote from Mourinho about how they will be able to train after injuries, seeing what happened with Lindelöf. It reminds of the Escape from Victory episode of Father Ted. The Priests Annual Over 75s charity Football Match. Crilly Island's best players dies, Ted goes to see him at the funeral home. "So is it definitely out of the question? He can't Play?" "He's dead Father!"

Some of Mourinho's favourites would probably fit right into those teams though :lol:

Reactions: Theonas

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Why the hell didn't we continue where we left off in the first half? Why go back into our shells?
Was the half time talk that depressing?
Unless we are behind, we don't seem to have any desire to score a goal...unless we are in the 93rd minute - at which time, we all bomb forward and attempt to win the game in 30 seconds.

minoo-utd

How can things get better under Jose Anymore? Some players look like they are so negative and others seemed absolutely have no desire to touch the ball it's like everyone was dead.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
16 points off the top with 14 games gone. Not good enough.
So, we are dropping roughly 1.1 pt, after every round of matches.
By the end of the season, we should be around 40 points off the top.

I'm trying to understand why our team is not interested in scoring goals unless we are behind. It makes no sense. Is the plan to draw every match?

saivet

Missed the game. Was it that bad? Did we have good chances to win?

ThemanGiggsy

I think we are going to have to wait until we are out of the CL for him to be sacked.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Missed the game. Was it that bad? Did we have good chances to win?
Bad first half of first half, good second half of first half. Went into break with momentum and it was killed in that fifteen minutes. Second half look more like didn't want to risk losing. Lukaku is a donkey.

freddie the red

Talking Heads performance......We're on the road to nowhere.

Afraid to say that, apart from the everyday staff, the club is currently rotten to the core from top to bottom.

It must surely be impossible for an elite club to field the likes of McTominay, Jones, Young etc and think that that is acceptable.

Deep surgery required throughout before we become contenders again......depressing stuff all round.

nainaisson

If Rojo was fit enough to sit on the bench, he should have played in a back four with Jones. I'm getting sick of seeing McTominay at centre-back. I can't remember any game in which playing midfielders as centre-backs went well, so it's a total mystery why Mourinho persists. Maybe he really is in self-destruct mode.

Foxbatt

If McTominay was not at CB then Matic would have been in midfield. I am fed up of seeing Matic on the pitch.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
More new contracts for these wonderful warriors !

On top of that let's bring another grandpa from Chelsea.

Infra-red

A shite performance by a load of shite players and a past-it manager. Manchester United 2018.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Think the fact that we started and ended the game with 5 central midfielders, 4 of which are primarily used for defensive duties says everything about our game.

We were facing a team that has won just once at their home this calendar year, and we decided to play 3 defenders, 5 Central midfielders. What kind of joke is that. And it's not like a CM of Jorginho's or Gundogan's ilk, 3 of those 5 are technically poor. Even if his reasoning was that we were looking to be a force in air in attacking set pieces,
1. they have Vestergaard- the tallest player in the league and
2. Relying on set pieces to score against Southampton! Really!!!

The defence is all over the place, 23 league goals conceded already and the 6th worst defensive record (just the bottom 5 have it worse). The players have no idea who to mark and their position is horrible.

The less said about our attack, the better. We seemed a better side in October, when we were not playing with Lukaku in the side. Had Rashford and Sanchez and Martial and Lingard and Mata and Pogba feeding the ball to them. The game was acceptable in more cases than none as well. So, what's the point of shifting back to these tactics? Now, I'm not saying that Lukaku shouldn't ever play, but let him come on the same wavelength with the team in training and then put him in the side. These guys have been playing together for 1.5 years and they still don't seem to know the strengths and weaknesses of their team mates.

But the biggest problem is the manager. The manager has the best view of the football in terms of players position, how high or deep they are. In the 2nd half, their defensive line was nearly at the halfway line. When you are having players like Rom and Martial/Rashford on the pitch use the fecking space behind their line to launch attacks. Instead of playing grounded passes, play an aerial ball over their defence. With the pace we are having, we are going to end up in a 1vs1 situation there. And in this aspect we missed Poba's form, and Mata and maybe Fred.

Finally there are those substitutions. Like for Like subs is just asking for fans to abuse you. Get Matic/McT off and get in an additional attacker instead of removing Rom and Rashford, especially. Get in Mata as Pogba was having a poor day and we needed a neat passer of the ball. Play a counter attacking football if you think its the best way, but have a clear idea, which we haven't had in any game this season

/rant

meninred

I dont think any of the top clubs would hire mouriniho in the future.
As for woodward i would imagine he would wait until mathematically impossible to get to the top 4 before considering pulling the trigger.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Unbeaten apart from the game we lost?

I admire your attempt to stay positive.
:lol:

Well...I couldn't find any other positives to speak of, so went with the unbeaten run continues, except for the loss against MCFC. :cool:

redshaw

Back to my previous comment of 'poor babies'...U9 teams know the basics of football, why are our players so darned clueless?
And no, the players didn't walk around the entire game, there were a few minutes that they were running. Do you see that as a good thing?
Every player who started that game is a member of the Man Utd 1st team. Looking at them today, there's a lot of those 1st team players who aren't good enough, and the manager can't Frankenstein new ones into existence in a back room.
This season was lost when Mourinho didn't find out he wasn't getting the players he needed until the day before the season started. Sometimes I think Mourinho just lost enthusiasm when that happened, but on days like today i think the team is just a bunch of poorly performing (and ridiculously highly paid!) misfits.

Well I agree there and said the same a while back. Started to unfold pre-season.

King of Rain

I say we back Mourinho until at least the end of the season. Top 4 is still possible.

DomM

complete dog shite. i fail to understand how so many internationals can perform so poorly on a consistent basis.
Mourinho really must be doing something awful in training to get players playing like this.

pathetic, no passion, no drive, nothing, did we even have a decent shot in the second half, against a really poor Southampton side.

we are now no better than any mid table team despite spending and wasting huge amounts of money.

Player Ratings

4.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 300 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Southampton 0:2 Man Utd
  • 19% Southampton 1:2 Man Utd