PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:2 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Sat, 02 March 2019

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Not even close. Night and day before and after.

I think today was the final nail in his career here. You could see he was a step too slow most of the time, very much off the pace, completely lost any speed/acceleration.
Agreed. Just wondering how the feck we get out of this contract. Can't believe the 5 years. Why oh why did we not even give him 3 years at most? Such a big problem.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Why isn't anyone praising Fred? He came for 15 minutes and got us a match winning assist
I did in his thread. Thought he had a very good cameo and hoping he gets more confident.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I am extremely pleased with that performance and result, and I'm quite proud of the manager and his players. Feels good to have United back.

Southampton have always been a bogey team for us, up to the reverse fixture this season. They were fighting against relegation, and they were fighting with everything they had. If they'd had games like this throughout the season, they'd be in top 8 without a doubt. On top of that, they had two absolute worldies. Their full back will never have a better goal in his life, I can bet on that. Also take into consideration that we were without Martial, Herrera, Lingard, Matic, Mata, Jones and Valencia. Quite clearly, Rashford didn't look 100% either, and Pogba, Young and even Shaw looked jaded and tired.

And we still won. After coming back into the game twice, with a winner in the 90th minute. While playing attacking football, with five academy graduates featuring. If this isn't vintage Manchester United, I don't know what is.

If Poch were the manager for this game, we'd have lost. He'd have played three at the back because we don't have a solid midfield, he'd have Young and Shaw play in the final third and leave space behind for Bertrand and co, and never be capable of responding to another injury or even one of their two world class goals. Mourinho, of course, would defend with 10 at the back with no intention to win, and moan in the press conference.

I said I'd wait till mid-March to judge Ole, but this game is where I'm absolutely convinced. The desire to win with all those injuries, trust youth players, making the right tactical subs, trusting in Lukaku, keeping players motivated throughout and doing things the SAF way.

This man needs to be hired on a permanent basis asap.

DSG

A lot of chatter about Southampton playing well... they were okay. Our defence was solid (only 3 shots on goal) and they scored with two wonder strikes. DDG isn’t often beat twice outside the box. Young was having a hard time with Bertrand and Redmond. Ole bringing in Dalot gave Young more support.

We were bad in the first half, creating some chances but poor finishing and positioning hurting us.

I’d rather see Chong than Sanchez starting tbf. When will Martial be fit?

Everyone looked tired, especially Pogba and Rashford. 3 matches in 6 days is a bit heavy.

Just so glad we pulled through in the end. Went to the bathroom when Dalot was subbed in and was watching on my phone. We promptly scored two, so I couldn’t leave or our luck would turn. Spent the rest of the half in the damn bathroom. Never question the football gods. You’re welcome everyone.

Drawfull

I brought you up on your post because generally speaking you're a pretty reasonable poster, looks like I might have to revise that.

Flawless logic. They spent that 30 minutes on the edge of that box did they? and managed to force a whopping 1 run-of-the-mill save from DDG. You know that's bullshit. We were creating chances, something Southampton didn't do, during this period. We should have been at least 2-0 after 15 minutes.

We had 60% possession in the first half...
I didn't have the first half possession stats, but am surprised at that. They did spend a good 30 minutes camped in our half, yes. The way possession stats work won't necessarily reflect that - I didn't say they had the ball, but they certainly pushed us back.

We should have been 2-0 within 5 minutes, no dispute there. But we weren't. And they scored their worldie.

C'mon man, re the bolded bit we were under the cosh, Luke Young was all over the chippy. They maybe should have had two penalties too!

For what it's worth, my family at the game felt the same as me re the first half, especially judging the deluge of messages they sent me at half time.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Blows me away that people can’t enjoy a game like that for what it was.

Tough game. Entertaining. Came out on top.

032Devil

We need more Belgians, we should buy Fellaini back.

Andy Walker is a prick.

Pogba needs a break
Nay! He just needs two workhorse of midfielders by his side so that he do his Hollywood passes. I've got no problem with that.

Tony247

McT brings physicality like Matic and aggression of true Man Utd academy player. He however needs to make more forward runs and get involved in attack.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I didn't have the first half possession stats, but am surprised at that. They did spend a good 30 minutes camped in our half, yes. The way possession stats work won't necessarily reflect that - I didn't say they had the ball, but they certainly pushed us back.

We should have been 2-0 within 5 minutes, no dispute there. But we weren't. And they scored their worldie.

C'mon man, re the bolded bit we were under the cosh, Luke Young was all over the chippy. They maybe should have had two penalties too!

For what it's worth, my family at the game felt the same as me re the first half, especially judging the deluge of messages they sent me at half time.
Unless we spent that 30 minutes playing keep ball in our own box, there's no way what you've said could possibly have happened. Every metric available shows us out performing Southampton except the scoreline. Shots, shots on target, possession, territory, changes created, pass completion etc.

I don't see we could be so statistically superior, and we created significantly more genuine chances, that you and your family could say they were better. I feel that sometimes, if the opposition scores and we don't immediately pin them back, a narrative is created where things we do are largely ignored, and things they do are exaggerated.

Drawfull

Unless we spent that 30 minutes playing keep ball in our own box, there's no way what you've said could possibly have happened. Every metric available shows us out performing Southampton except the scoreline. Shots, shots on target, possession, territory, changes created, pass completion etc.

I don't see we could be so statistically superior, and we created significantly more genuine chances, that you and your family could say they were better. I feel that sometimes, if the opposition scores and we don't immediately pin them back, a narrative is created where things we do are largely ignored, and things they do are exaggerated.
Re your last sentence, maybe there's a bit of that. As you said, I am a reasonable poster and that is how I felt after the first half (I already said I don't have the stats), and my family that were there seemed to agree.

Anyway, we won, and I'm thrilled we won as per my first comment.

Roll on Wednesday.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Re your last sentence, maybe there's a bit of that. As you said, I am a reasonable poster and that is how I felt after the first half (I already said I don't have the stats), and my family that were there seemed to agree.

Anyway, we won, and I'm thrilled we won as per my first comment.

Roll on Wednesday.
Amen to that!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Really exciting game but definitely deserved win. They scored 2 screamers but didnt really create any good chances, but they did put up a good fight all the same. We created loads and had sloppy moments but overall a good and deserved win. Lukaku's finishes were brilliant, great to have him hitting form.

Sanchez getting potentially a big injury isnt great though. He hasn't been good but at least he could still come in and rotate.

PowerupMushroom

Why isn't anyone praising Fred? He came for 10 minutes and got us a match winning assist
First one to celebrate with Pereira for the equalizer aswell. No doubt he's been bad, but going about it the right way, wich makes me confident he will turn it around.

Water Melon

Our two most important players (DDG and Pogs) were not at their best today, but we still won. Huge credit to Lukaku, he has certainly found his shooting boots, while Pereira absolutely needed that screamer for his own and the team's sake.

Mr PG

Lukaku is an enigma I don’t understand him at all
People put too much emphasis on the first touch. It’s not everything and lukaku’s strength comes handy in the box when you need a poacher’s goal.

arthurka

Pogba had a bad game, someone else needs to take the pens. On to the good stuff, great game plan from S'ole. Feck me this was great. Should have given ourselves a easier job of this. Lukaku and Shaw MOTM.

newgiz

That was a very crucial win for us, especially with Arsenal coming up next week. We have done well the last 3 games considering the circumstances with all the injuries. As to the game itself, we started well but McTominay's injury seemed to have curtailed the momentum we built up in the first few mins.

Sanchez was shite and didn't contribute much to the attack and in fact slowed it down. His substitution gave us some much needed impetus in the final third. I hope Martial is fit for the Arsenal game, if not I would rather start one of our younger players rather than Sanchez. He's done at the top level.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The players wanted that, but credit should go to Ole too. Whatever he said at half time stuck a rocket up their arses because we played brilliantly after the break. He also recognised what was missing and the Dalot sub changed the game.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We went from playing with 10 men to 11 when Sanchez came off. Also helps that Lukaku transformed into a machine halfway through the second half.
Great, great win when we needed it the most.
Pogba desperately needs a rest. He cant move his hips as quick as usual in the past couple of games and that's when he's at his worst.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We went from playing with 10 men to 11 when Sanchez came off. Also helps that Lukaku transformed into a machine halfway through the second half.
Great, great win when we needed it the most.
Pogba desperately needs a rest. He cant move his hips as quick as usual in the past couple of games and that's when he's at his worst.
He will get a bit of a rest this week because of the ban. At least Shaw didn't get booked.

Canagel

Not much of a surprise where the problem was 1st half. No midfield.

Sanchez can't play with pogba also.

Last edited:

Adcuth

Prediction:

Dalot will end up as a right attacking winger the same way Bale did. But he'll be better

Red_Beans

Great to see us win like that. We weren't at out best but we never gave up. You don't win every game playing vintage football and im tired of our 'fans' expecting fifa performances every time we take the field. This is the Manchester United I grew up watching and im so chuffed to have us back

C'est Moi Cantona

Listened to this on the radio, and the sound of the uplift in our play after Dalot came seemed huge, Sanchez is like an anchor to our forward play, and much as I hope he is back swiftly, I don't want to see him on the left wing anymore, perhaps he's worth a try elsewhere as one last throw of the dice.

Given the knackered defence, weak midfield, and mostly second choice forward line, this was a really good result.

AndyMUFC

Really good game despite how nerve wracking it was. Both teams scored some great goals. We've had some ace late shows at OT this season, with the Newcastle and Burnley games and now that.

It was a tough one today and we weren't at our best but in view of these injuries, we showed great spirit to come away with the three points as they made it difficult. Started really well actually but didn't keep it up and only really improved properly when Sanchez got injured and was replaced by Dalot. They had a spell after that sucker punch of an equaliser but we kept going.

Pleased for Lukaku and Pereira to get the goals they did as that will do them the world of good.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I’m still loving it. What a win. To find wins even on days like today is a good feeling

Alexit

Disgusted that Pogba didn't defer to Lukaku to get a chance at the hatty.

Great goals all around, glad we got the win.

Man of the Match

Romelu Lukaku image Romelu Lukaku 87% of 713 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 496 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw