PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:2 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Mon, 13 July 2020

GenZRed

Get rid of var. Slows the game down and doesn't even fecking work. If that challenge on Mason Greenwood isn't even a yellow card than I don't know what is. Oh yeah 'Man United always get the decisions.' My backside they do.

Southampton are dirty bastards and I hope they get relegated next season.

VivaJesperBlomqvist

City fan at work is doing my head in. Claims that Greenwood made a meal of the Romeu assault (tackle) and that he saw nothing wrong with it. Why are opposition fans so flagrantly biased? I always try to be as objective as possible, just because biased debating is infuriating. Anyway, this draw has definitely hit me hard. I can’t wait until Thursday now just to see if we can wipe this from our minds. I’m so nervous about it now but also anxious to just get taken out of my misery - the waiting is killing me!

Still seething over the Greenwood incident. It only takes one dodgy tackle like that from a shitty mid table player to ruin a flourishing career before it has even started. It’s crucial that he is protected.

Mr. Christian

Bottled it.
Martial excellent. Pogba played like he had the virus; lethargic, slow, making schoolboy errors. Lindelof... Is he really strong enough to be CB for Man Utd? Good to see Shaw looking good again. Saints played well and harried Utd. Not a bad performance from us, just a weak second half and a few individual errors. Should still make top four

SirScholes

We look tired, and I have no idea why Ole waited that long with his subs. At 2-1 with a visibly tired squad out there it wasn't about getting the 3-1 goal first and foremost. Get McTominay, Fred, James and maybe Ighalo on earlier. We know the first three can run for days and Ighalo will provide someone to play it up on.
Credit to Southampton though, they played a good game and deserved to get something from it.

I think our general play has been masked a bit by the great results (and maybe poor opposition?).
Our pressing in general isn't that coherent. Often you'll see Fernandes press urgently and gesturing to e.g. Martial or Rashford to press as well. That results in pressing half-heartedly around Fernandes which means the opponents still has a chance of playing a good pass to someone in space because the player in space wasn't closed down quickly enough. Whether Fernandes is going against the tactical instructions with his pressing or the others are, I don't know, but it looks strange and you can often see Fernandes visibly frustrated by it.
We aren't great at getting the ball out of defence either. Too many slightly off passes, passes that needs an extra touch to control or generally moving it too slowly or dwelling on the ball in dangerous areas.

There's still a lot of work ahead for this team. At least we gained a point on Chelsea and Leicester but if we show up at Selhurst like we did today we'll be in for a long night.
Because the depth of our squad is awful, the drop off in talent is massive so he was probably hoping some individual brilliance would get us the comforting 3rd goal then let the likes of James come on with little to worry about which tbf we nearly did with rashford and then martial.
I do agree the players looked tired, I still think we’ll finish top 4
If we’re tired then Chelsea and Leicester will be as well, both teams were significantly worse than us in their last games

KennyBurner

Still in disbelief over this result. From rashford missing the opportunity to put us 3-1 to Maguire marking his own player and letting them get the early header in. I’m getting flashbacks to the game against westham were we needed the win to secure top 4 and we bottled it.

I’ve got to be honest I’m no longer confident. Only hope I have is that Southampton are a one of a kind team in the league with their consistent press.

Ole needs to field the same team against palace on Thursday. Palace don’t have the capacity to press like Southampton. The boys need to get back on track with a win.

SirScholes

Huge step backwards: we found it difficult to break down a defence that defended properly, Ole looked caught in the headlights and I have no idea why he totally changed the midfield with the subs. Pogba and Bruno didn't have their best games but to pull both off was odd - unless he had brought on extra defenders.

Plus - although he scored a good goal - Martial missed a very good chance to put us ahead which a top goal-scorer would have put away and (as I've warned for weeks) proved oh so costly. All in all, a very poor team performance.

Worst of all: you could see their equaliser coming for at least 20 minutes. We were so poor for first 20 mins and most of the second half - what the hell was said at half time? I'm guessing most people blame Lindelof for the goal but we were asleep at the corner (I realise we were hit by the Williams injury). In fact, Lindelof was probably our MoM; he was way better than Maguire.

Had we gone third, I think it would have given us the momentum to hold on to a top-four finish and maybe even driven us to win one of the cups. Now I am very worried. We need Spurs or Liverpool to do us a favour which I wouldn't bet on and having to go to Leicester on the last day and win will be very very difficult.

I am now not even confident of beating Palace...
Give your head a wobble

what would you say about our team if we got beat 3-0 off Sheffield?
What would you say about our team if we got spanked 4!-1 off Bournemouth?

Shiva87

Still in disbelief over this result. From rashford missing the opportunity to put us 3-1 to Maguire marking his own player and letting them get the early header in. I’m getting flashbacks to the game against westham were we needed the win to secure top 4 and we bottled it.

I’ve got to be honest I’m no longer confident. Only hope I have is that Southampton are a one of a kind team in the league with their consistent press.

Ole needs to field the same team against palace on Thursday. Palace don’t have the capacity to press like Southampton. The boys need to get back on track with a win.
Tough result for us. Clearly all of us need a vent.

This draw shows us that we are not yet the finished product and need two things: reinforcements and improvement in squad mentality. Martial + Rashford were the only ones yesterday who were looking that they wanted this bad. The rest of the team was average and thought they will canter to a 3-0 win again.

I think it's a huge learning experience if we can come out of this and win the next 3 games. Will stand us in good stead in future. I fully expect the core of this team to challenge for titles, and don't think this is that bad a result in the overall scheme of things. I would say that we are still favourites to get the job done.

Can't drop points against Palace under any circumstances. That's a definite must win now.

sp_107

Happened for our food, you cant paper over the cracks for a long time and this would help us to plan our next season.

I am sure we have quality to finish 4th now or get into champions league by winning Europa League next month.

redmanx

Bottled it.
Martial excellent. Pogba played like he had the virus; lethargic, slow, making schoolboy errors. Lindelof... Is he really strong enough to be CB for Man Utd? Good to see Shaw looking good again. Saints played well and harried Utd. Not a bad performance from us, just a weak second half and a few individual errors. Should still make top four
Totally agree, Bruno couldnt find a pass all night but he kept chasing and working, Greenwood had one of his least effective games and looked tired, Martial and Radford looked sharp and should have scored at least one more each, De Gea was his usual superb self, Maguire was strong, as was Matic, Shaw did well but Bissaka struggled; it just wasnt our night. Southampton played well and chased us down and Pogba showed once again that when hes given space and time he can kill the opposition, but if they get in his face he doesnt want to know. Hes the most frustrating player on the planet.

midou

I have waited a couple of days to write since the mood was not great. I firmly believe this game is on Ole, he waited too long with the substitutes, the team is tired. Pogba and AWB look on 50% at best. Should have even started some of Fred, McTominay or James, even Mata.

Other points - the water break in the first half was very bad for us, we just had the momentum and could have scored more.
When Bruno has a poor day (happens to anyone, not blaming him for anything) the whole team has a poor game.

SirScholes

I have waited a couple of days to write since the mood was not great. I firmly believe this game is on Ole, he waited too long with the substitutes, the team is tired. Pogba and AWB look on 50% at best. Should have even started some of Fred, McTominay or James, even Mata.

Other points - the water break in the first half was very bad for us, we just had the momentum and could have scored more.
When Bruno has a poor day (happens to anyone, not blaming him for anything) the whole team has a poor game.
the game was yesterday? Haha
Start those two and we lose the game, we’d of won this game if it wasn’t for two freak injuries in the last few minutes
Southampton weren’t creating anything

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
the game was yesterday? Haha
Start those two and we lose the game, we’d of won this game if it wasn’t for two freak injuries in the last few minutes
Southampton weren’t creating anything
Literally this, redmond had two shots and that was it.

Going down to 10 killed us.

Basically how I feel, it was heart breaking conceding that goal at the end as the lads proper fought for it out there in a bruising battle, especially with 10 men.

But we created loads of chances that we should have put away, it happens. Move on and win the next game and things will be much rosier.
My feelings too. Heartbroken as it would’ve been a battling victory but we move on.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Having had time to process how I felt at the end of this game, I feel a mixture of disappointment and also real hope for the future. I saw one comment on Twitter that 'it is an indication of how far we have come as a team with Ole that a draw in these circumstances feels like a heavy defeat.' We may have been happy once upon a time, with the form Southampton were in, to get a point closer to CL qualification. Such has been our unbeaten run and the manner in which we have played that there is such disappointment and anger at having let this game slip.

I have no doubt that the players are also feeling the same amount of disappointment and anger as the fans are. This is the hallmark of a team that has a winning mentality and sees anything else as unacceptable. I have not felt like this about our club in a long time and that is testament to the job Ole has done. Top 4 is still in our hands and I have full confidence in the players to get the job done. We can do it!

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
I have calmed down a bit since yesterdays 2-2 result against the Saints. Was pretty angry after the 90’ + 6’ equalizer.

The performance was not that bad I think. Just disappointing result of course. Saints pressed really good and had a very good game.

We coped pretty well with it after the 10 first minutes. But looked very tired last 20 too. The subs of Bruno and Pogba didnt do us any favours but they were so tired. So I understand them.

I hope the injuries on Shaw and Williams are not too bad. We really need one of them for the remaining fixtures.

Lastly, remember we’re on the right way. Playing the best football in 7 years time. And the Champions League spot is still in our hands.

I am sure we get Top 4 can get 7 points from the 3 remaining games.

Cmon reds, we can do this!

big rons sovereign

People are acting like it's all over, Leicester are missing key players and Chelsea are in rotten form. You never know, Norwich might turn them over.

Falcow

I'm still fuming after last night. All we would need now realistically is 5 points from our last 3 if we won last night but of course we couldnt make it easy. I was screaming for Wan bissaka to put in a tackle to ensure it was a throw and not a corner, its little moments like that that give the opposition a chance. The defending for the corner then was terrible.

We should have killed the game off earlier as Southampton were there for the taking. Bruno was trying to be too elaborate, just keep it simple and no need to over complicate. I'll say nothing of Pogba as I'm tired debating his merits and lack of on here - except to say that if he keeps getting robbed of possession by these two bit players then he needs upgrading as he cannot be trusted. It's been a recurring theme since he rejoined.

Shaw was good but where was he for the first goal? He still wasnt in the box by the time the ball hit the net.

I thought ighalo could have come on for his hold up play but it didnt happen. We had no luck last night, it should have been them down to 10 not us and where was the replay of the injury to Willams? I didnt see one as I'm not certain if it was just an innocent coming together of heads. Did anyone see it?

poleglass red

Not a great game for us, but we had chances via Martial and Rashford to score more. That right side of defence is a problem esp with the high press. Both Lindelof and AWB look so uncomfortable on the ball esp when pressed. Greenwood had a quiet game by his standards, problem is we then have nothing down that flank attacking wise. Our game was very sloppy, passes overhit, misplaced, the games are coming thick and fast now. Let's hope we have a Fernandes and Pogba out to prove a point in the next game

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Because the depth of our squad is awful, the drop off in talent is massive so he was probably hoping some individual brilliance would get us the comforting 3rd goal then let the likes of James come on with little to worry about which tbf we nearly did with rashford and then martial.
I do agree the players looked tired, I still think we’ll finish top 4
If we’re tired then Chelsea and Leicester will be as well, both teams were significantly worse than us in their last games
Yeah I get what you're saying and that Ole gambled that way. Personally I think we could've held on if we had put on some fresh legs earlier. We probably wouldn't have scored the third, but I don't think we would have been dominated like we were.
I hope Chelsea and Leicester are feeling the fixture congestion too. We still have top 4 in our own hands but that Leicester game looks massive now. Of course there's plenty of potential for both of us to slip up before that.

It'll be interesting to see if Ole changes anything for the Crystal Palace game.

Mercurial

Ole looked visibly shaken and a bit shellshocked at the end when camera pointed to him in the final minute or so. I'm all for Ole but he is a little tactically untuned still, a little naive. Really hope we can salvage a CL spot.

Robertd0803

Still pissed off. Should have won. Should have been a red. Should probably not punch the floor repeatedly in anger.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Should have won. Rashford should have buried that chance in the second half. Martial could have scored another one and should have laid it off to Greenwood when he went on that run.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
Even having said that, he must absolutely come for anything in his six yard box, that's his area to command. Don't care how big or small a GK is, that should be his all day, every day.

Unfortunately, that's what you get with a coward as a GK, he's never been good at that so, imo, it's time to move on, he's just not a good enough all-round 'keeper for a top, top team.
True. We train our GK's to collect anything in the 6 yard box but it's not always that straightforward. The marking criteria (zonal or man-to-man) determines how much space you have in that 6 yard box to collect or even touch the ball. Sometimes we would train the team to zone off the 6 yard so we KNOW the keeper has it (even if in man-to-man marking). I saw the goal that's probably pissing you off and the 6 yard box was littered with Utd players. There were 7 Utd players to Southampton's 5...that's 12. I am 90% sure the plan between the defenders and De Gea was that they get the ball before him. The ball subsequently came off Matic and fell to a Southampton player. It's frustrating yes but it's not always black and white in terms of what goalkeepers get in the 6 yard box.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We played cowardly? :lol:

We were trying to finish the game off when Bruno was still on the pitch. We just have to sub him off because him & Pogba were tired.

Southampton is one of the best team in pressing in the league and if you expect Pereira & Mata subs will be able to maintain possession against Southampton, you might want to re-evaluate it.
Right, what a courageous and exciting performance from us. Well done lads.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I’m still gutted and frustrated with this result.

Really disappointing from us, especially in the 2nd half. It felt like Southampton just wanted it more for some reason.

DeSign

Get rid of var. Slows the game down and doesn't even fecking work. If that challenge on Mason Greenwood isn't even a yellow card than I don't know what is. Oh yeah 'Man United always get the decisions.' My backside they do.

Southampton are dirty bastards and I hope they get relegated next season.
I hope that last line is a reference to ty from AFTV

Gator Nate

Intensity seems to still be an issue for us at times. You can beat a high press with one touch football and good movement but we saw a lot of dwelling on the ball and getting caught out which gave Southampton something to chase.

I’m annoyed as anybody but we can’t win all our games, we have to drop points in some. As long as we use this as an opportunity to refocus and win our last 3 games we’ll be fine.

Put it this way, I’m glad we did this now instead of the last game of the season and didn’t finish in the top 4 due to it
This is what kept sticking out to me - we were dwelling on the ball way too long and the back 4, along with Matic and Pogba, were the main culprits. This was not on Ole - after 5 minutes, those six players should have figured out what So'ton were doing and adjusted their mentality accordingly. That first goal was on Pogba. He was in no rush to do anything with the ball, he turned it around and took about two dribbles in no particular hurry, with a man on his back. That man was in a hurry, though, and Pogba lost it. After three weeks of forward play with the ball, they all started hanging back instead of making runs.

Once we did get in the middle third, we kept sending it back most of the time. That was some serious reversion in our mentality. Yet Rashford and Martial had good opportunities. Once we got the two goals, things really opened up, but we couldn't capitalize. And Greenwood was inexplicably anonymous for much of the game.

Martial was MotM for certain. His goal was great, but that assist to Rashford was perfection of awareness. Rashford was mostly good, too. Thought Lindelof had a really good defensive game. Outside of that, we were average against a bunch of thuggish game-raisers. Still got a point, still good for 3rd or 4th if we play well over the last three games.

Haven't heard an update, but hoping Shaw isn't out, because I don't see Williams being available for a couple weeks.

crossy1686

career ending
This is what kept sticking out to me - we were dwelling on the ball way too long and the back 4, along with Matic and Pogba, were the main culprits. This was not on Ole - after 5 minutes, those six players should have figured out what So'ton were doing and adjusted their mentality accordingly. That first goal was on Pogba. He was in no rush to do anything with the ball, he turned it around and took about two dribbles in no particular hurry, with a man on his back. That man was in a hurry, though, and Pogba lost it. After three weeks of forward play with the ball, they all started hanging back instead of making runs.

Once we did get in the middle third, we kept sending it back most of the time. That was some serious reversion in our mentality. Yet Rashford and Martial had good opportunities. Once we got the two goals, things really opened up, but we couldn't capitalize. And Greenwood was inexplicably anonymous for much of the game.

Martial was MotM for certain. His goal was great, but that assist to Rashford was perfection of awareness. Rashford was mostly good, too. Thought Lindelof had a really good defensive game. Outside of that, we were average against a bunch of thuggish game-raisers. Still got a point, still good for 3rd or 4th if we play well over the last three games.

Haven't heard an update, but hoping Shaw isn't out, because I don't see Williams being available for a couple weeks.
Completely agree. I think they were worried about giving away possession due to Southampton's counter-attack and were therefore scared to play a risky ball forward.

It's something Solskjaer needs to work on with them because we won't win anything if they're too scared to take risks because they're worried we'll concede. You're right though, it's not on him, it's them and their mentality. We got without touching distance of 3rd and some of them seemed to shit the bed last night.

I don't want to be too harsh on Greenwood, he's only 18 and still developing rapidly. He had a lot to deal with on that right hand side, two very quick players who pressed him constantly and Romeu kicking the shit out of him every chance he got. I knew we were in trouble when no one put an equaliser on Romeu for that tackle on Greenwood.

I'm actually hoping this opens the door for Laird to get some game time, it's about time he was in the first team.

tomaldinho1

It should have been a red but then again the penalty which changed the Villa game was v lucky so it all evens out. Very few players performed well and Southampton players turned up as if they were the ones chasing CL not us.

Our biggest issue is one I remember there being a thread on a while back - it's about game management. We started poorly but then, credit to the players, we rallied when they were gassed and turned the game around - what we needed to do then was essentially just let them chase and chase and chase until they have to sit back but we didn't, we kept trying high risk long passes and direct balls through, constantly turning over possession to them and then decided to just sit back and seemingly wait for the final whistle. Set pieces were what cost us last time with them and it has been the same again, it's really poor and when you look at the marking for the near post flick on for the corner it's laughable a So'ton player won the header against about 4 of ours.

We've been on a good run and we were unlucky with Williams but even when we had 11 men on the pitch there was always that sense of weakness - Palace is always tough, West Ham turned us over already this season and then Leicester will likely be a winner takes all game for us. I guess if we want to see how our players handle pressure, we will now.

crossy1686

career ending
Should have won. Rashford should have buried that chance in the second half. Martial could have scored another one and should have laid it off to Greenwood when he went on that run.
These two stuck out for me also, that and the obvious red card. Different game on a different day

choccy77

Or the game against West Ham were we needed to score to win the league and couldn't.

ex and

I was disappointed but unfortunately not surprised at the result.
We knew that they would constantly press us, and we never really had a solution. It was absolutely imperative for us to make a fast start and score the first goal, and we did the opposite.
We had the better chances but last night we couldn’t convert.
The way we backed down on the last 25 mins, it was always on the cards for their equalise.
Even in our pomp, during SAF’s time we’ve made similar draws, and Southampton played well .
Our problem atm is that our defence is looking vulnerable.

freddie the red

Bit more relaxed now after last night. It was written in the stars yesterday wasn't it?
I mean, the day starts off with "the world's richest club:eek:" having CAS overturn their ban and tickling their tummy instead and ends with United's poorest performance since the resumption and the last second giving up of the 3rd spot we'd got into!
The reality, though, is that we are actually a point better off than if Leicester hadn't completely lost their minds against the cherries.
That is, a Champion's League spot is in our own hands with little over a week left of the season.
If we'd been offered a winner takes the last CL spot match against Leicester on the last day back in January we'd have jumped at it.
We can do this:devil:

freddie the red

The early martial chance and rashford at blank point range in the 2and half is what hurt us massively,
Also, Rashford didn't need to let himself get offside for the one he had chalked off. In between the two central defenders, green grass in front of him and with his pace he would have been first onto the ball from the left anyway.
That and Martial's two chances were really wasteful.

Devil may care

Didn't see the game but was following updates and when i saw Bruno and Mason off for James and Mctominay i figured there was an element of panic station's going on.

It's still a point gained on Chelsea and Leicester but it's hard not to feel it's a huge missed opportunity to really take a grip on the top 4 race, especially with city getting off with their blatant corruption.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
You couldn't as though you can have five subs you can only change players three times (excluding half time) so by the time Williams got hurt you'd used your 3 occasions to change players and therefore couldn't use your fifth sub
Brutal. Perhaps they should have made an exception for an injury? Thanks I didn't know that.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
If you think of it as a point gained on both a Chelsea and Leicester then it’s not a bad result at all really. Big chance missed though as usual. Hopefully it doesn’t knock the confidence too much and we can go out and beat Palace, then we will be back on track for top 4.

HailtotheKing

Fred, McTominay, Matic why? How can you expect to hold the ball up and create with those 3 as your creators? I get that Pogba was being lackadaisical but still he has the class and quality to hold the ball and set up chances. When we took him off I feel we surrendered control of the game. Do you think he was injured or said he was tired to be withdrawn so soon. Otherwise it's a bit bizarre when we were only a goal up. Then made it even worse by taking off Bruno. Also, I get bringing on James for the extra energy but surely Ighalo would have been the better pick? Would have held up the ball, giving us a chance to take a breather from the relentless Southampton assault in the latter stages. And he would have been a bigger guy in the box to defend the corners. Again a bit baffling by Ole there. Also, we all laughed at Lampard changing multiple formations throughout the second half to Sheff Utd, but isn't that better than literally doing nothing and leaving it to crossed fingers? Cos that's all that was. From the moment Pogba was taken off I knew we were gonna be under the cost but the end was just relentless. Squeaky bum time indeed!

Zlatans Knee

I have just about calmed down 24 hours later. That was really tough to take. It was definitely not a good performance in the second half but we could still have scored a couple of goals (Rashford miss and Martial run and off target shot). Bruno had a shocker, AWB put his shoes on the wrong feet, Pogba went back to thinking that as a WC winner no one is allowed to tackle him and Matic must have been smoking some weed kindly donated as part of his new 3 year contract. The good news is that hopefully they will learn from this pain and rectify it on Thursday.

Ace of Spades

Didn't see the game but was following updates and when i saw Bruno and Mason off for James and Mctominay i figured there was an element of panic station's going on.

It's still a point gained on Chelsea and Leicester but it's hard not to feel it's a huge missed opportunity to really take a grip on the top 4 race, especially with city getting off with their blatant corruption.
The subs were right, Shaw got hurt, and the rest were running on empty. I am just happy that Greenwood was not injured because of that disgusting tackle.

It was just terrible luck all around. We played the last few minutes a man down, when Southampton should be the one playing most of the game with ten men. They also made some last ditch saves that kept them in the game. Still, they should have been a man down, if VAR had not fecked up, this would have been an easy win. And it was not even a difficult decision to make, a red all day.

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 335 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Man Utd 3:0 Southampton
  • 20% Man Utd 3:1 Southampton