PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:2 Southampton

Post-match discussion

Mon, 13 July 2020

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I think that game will have killed the momentum we had. Not sure I can see us getting 3 points at Palace and I don't trust these players in a crunch game against Leicester. They love bottling it as soon as there's any pressure.
This set of players do have a history of bottling it, in crucial games.
To be fair though, after we had made our subs, our A team was no longer on the pitch and our B team isn't anything special. The B team generally can't score a goal and now we know that the B team, can concede.
In any case, let's hope we can bounce back and get top 4.

Jezpeza

Not a great result but we are level on points with leicester who we are playing and who have dropped i think 12 points since restart. Laughable for people to say the top four is gone

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Except it's mostly not that and you know it.

I'm not sure what you expect. There is always more to discuss when things don't go well, that pretty much applies to every area of life.

If you had a meeting at work about a perfect project and then a meeting about a one that went shite, which one do you think would go on longer?
The tone of this forum has gone from 'we don't need to rotate, we'll just sub after an hour when the games are done' to 'bunch of bottlers. No chance of CL now, its done'. Because we drew a game.

I wish it was genuine discussion instead of people just smashing their keyboards. If this was a meeting about a project that went shite, then this forum is the written equivalent of those people throwing themselves out of the window.

Pughnichi

It so obvious that our first 11 is very capable. The last few games when subs have been made the drop off has been frightening. First 11 need resting but we’re not in a position to because the support act is nowhere near good enough. The only one that’s a genuine goal threat is Ighalo

GwilDor

The last time I checked, soton played the same number of matches.

The fitness in this team is fecking horrific. Has been for years now.

The other team pressed ALL match long almost. We couldn't muster up anything.
Did they play the same starting 11 5 games in a row though? Either way, i still think it means we need more depth in creativity, rather than expect significantly better fitness from Bruno/Pogba.

Siorac

The tone of this forum has gone from 'we don't need to rotate, we'll just sub after an hour when the games are done' to 'bunch of bottlers. No chance of CL now, its done'. Because we drew a game.

I wish it was genuine discussion instead of people just smashing their keyboards. If this was a meeting about a project that went shite, then this forum is the written equivalent of those people throwing themselves out of the window.
Just let us vent. Why does it hurt you?

Canagel

Said too many times before. We are a dependant on individuals and not coached good.

One player leaves the whole thing collapses because our manager is too scared to play without his main 11 and knows his coaching will be exposed!

el3mel

Now that my head is cleared a little bit, this was really coming unfortunately.

We just didn't show up in second half. Throughout it I was saying to myself this half is a chore to watch and just please end. Once we subbed Bruno after Pogba I know this has a banana slip written all over it. I told myself if they score we don't have a chance to score again now that we subbed off our 2 playmakers. I know they were crap but this a stupid move. At least leave one. You don't know how the match can go.

Saints deserve the draw. They played a top match from start to finish and this goal is a nice award for them. Well trained and organized team. Credit for their coach.

It's a big disappointment because of how the draw came, last minute goal after we subbed off our 2 playmakers and decided to go full defense and counters on our turf against Saints. Totally different from anything that we have been doing recently. Just kills the mood for me.

Not worried though about getting top 4. We'll achieve it. This was just annoying and as I said, mood killing for me.

Infra-red

Game too far for this lot. They looked leggy and lacking in energy throughout. A dreadful result, under the circumstances.

Solskjaer should have freshened things up a bit - he will now have to do that for the Palace and West Ham games, which we will have to navigate with some of the squad players in starting positions.

Icemav

It's funny that everyone is saying bruno and pogba were bad. But guess what, we looked worse without them. That's the standard of them vs the rest of the team.

We desperately need a GOOD center back this window and also another midfielder.
Midfielder for sure. Also better coaching tactics. When teams pile on us like that we are just a mess. Need to try to grab hold of the game by breaking up play intelligently and retaining possession. It was embarrassing out there. Southampton were very good but we still need to be able to counter that more effectively.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
There is 3 average teams going for two places , each of them falling over the line.

The two least worse teams will get top 4. I would not trust us having to go and win at Leicester on the final day. This feels like a big two pts dropped.
We just have to hope one of Chelsea or Leicester slip up again. Both have 2 tough games out of their remaining 3.

DevilRed

When will we actually have a bit of luck for once?

The actual feck was that at the end. Going down to 10 men and condeding on a corner.

Literally soul destroying.

I trust Ole to bring in players in the summer that will rectify this though. Hopefully gone will be the lindelofs and freds from our lineup.

Scholsey2004

Leicester have still got harder games than us. The last match at Leicester is going to be tough though. Pogba successfully targeted by Southampton's press today made him really ineffective; surely De Gea should have caught the ball for Martin's goal; Young Mason barely got a kick today.

SirMattlives

Part of the problem here is we just conceded in the 96th minute, it always hurts. We've won enough matches in those minutes to know the joy too, so no blame on the Soton folks for enjoying it, that's football. What is frustrating is we could all sort of see it coming. Our defense is targeted physically as teams do realize de Gea is not a cross catcher and Lindelof is easy enough to bully. That said, they both have other qualities so we need to adjust accordingly. Tonight, these issues and a few related ones (the non-red card, the inability to bring on a sub for Williams, the sheer commitment of Soton) added up. And it feels like a loss...but it was a draw. We gained a point on two teams above us, fair enough. If we had been offered this at the restart, would we not have taken it?

So, calm down, the players are tired but over the last 4 weeks have done well. We can qualify if we win our games and we are still in the cups. I never felt City's ban would hold given the money at stake so let's move on. Passions run high after the game, no doubt we'd be complaining even if we scraped over the line about how poorly we'd played but we did not lose, again. Dust down, rest and get on with it.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
People who says chill down need to realise its 3.. Only 3 fecking games left! Do you think we have the whole season to close the gap? N O !!!!!

Its 3 fecking games. This was our chance. FECK!!!!
Very good point.
You need to remember that there are many fans who feel that 5th place is a very good achievement. Many fans have only been fans since we have been finishing 4th - 7th, so with that in mind, 5th place is a decent league finish.
I myself, have been a fan of MUFC since we dominated in the mid 90s, so for me, it is completely unacceptable to capitulate to Southampton and possibly finish in 5th.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
We played with one midfielder in midfield all game and then instead of fixing it we subbed him off and replaced him with another one.

Matic spent the entire game at centreback doing the sum total of absolutely feck all. We basically played the whole game with 10 men and then the last 5 minutes with 9.

I wouldn't mind but I was texting my brother after 10 minutes saying "where is Matic?" because Pogba was constantly in the middle all by his fecking self and it was putting us under loads of unecessary pressure and then cost us a goal.

We have five midfielders. If one of them isn't capable of playing in midfield, pick one who is. Don't put the entire fecking team under pressure for the entire fecking game just to accomodate/carry someone, just because they played well two games ago. Use your bloody players properly.

I like Ole but stuff like this is ridiculous. It's cost us the game and it's fecking stupid. It's the sort of thing Ferguson used to do with Carrick but a) we had no other capable midfielders at the time, and b) It never worked, it nearly always led to us dropping points

Josh 76

Just don't get why we still try and pass from the back when it's playing into the opposition's hand.

The first 20 minutes set the the tone of the game in which it gave Southampton so much confidence.

Surely you have to try something different. I know we take the piss out of Liverpool being a long ball team, but they are so good at changing tactics during the game. This is what Ole needs to work out during a game.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Just let us vent. Why does it hurt you?
Its not constructive. Its just bile for the most part. Its why this forum has been unreadable for most of the season.

Watch the Ole out thread grow by 20 pages overnight because we didn't win. Its no wonder most of the best posters have left this place.

arthurka

Why did we stop attacking from the 60th minute? We invited unnecessary pressure and paid the price.

It feels like a loss. Chelsea and Leicester will be buzzing.
Ole took Pogba off after that they ran the midfield. Fred is the least composed Brazilian player I have ever seen.

Blood Mage

I just don't see Solskjaer taking us places, even with the arrival of Sancho. Tactically he is out of his depth and if it wasn't for Fernandes joining and getting off to a flyer we wouldn't even be in a top 4 race at all.

MonkeysMagic

I think that result but more importantly the performance when it mattered most, will ultimately be telling come the end of season. Yes you can pick on isolated incidents and say it could've gone this way or that. But when the pressure is on, we fold. That has been the one consistent issue that has dogged several teams in the last 7 years, and though we are better going forward, its our lack of game management that holds us back from making that leap to title challengers.

Fans will always park the blame on players but game management always comes from the coaching (as demonstrated by inferior players coached by better coaches). Quite simply, at some level all Utd fans realise this, but have to admit that the current coaching set up won't make us title challengers.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Easily our worst game since the restart. Felt like I was back in 2018, we got the 2-1 lead and then we... didn't do anything. Definitely didn't deserve to win, Southampton were more than our equals. Largely poor from Pogba and Fernandes, which tells you how important they are to our attack.
I'd maybe like to look at the Spurs highlights first. I think those are our worst two performances since lockdown, then you weigh rust then versus maybe some tiredness now, and factor in that this Southampton team are actually better than Spurs at the moment and I think they're pretty similar.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
True enough man. Was thinking whiskey myself. Still the best spell we have had in seven years and by a long way
We’re definitely on the right way that’s for sure.
Top 4 will probably be decided on the last day and I really hope we’re up for it.

Soyuncu out for Leicester’s last 3 games could be crucial.

Dudu

The state of this thread. :lol:

Nothings changed. Still need to win our remaining games. Not to mention LEI have Spurs, Sheffield and us left. Chelsea have Liverpool and Wolves You really think they aren't going to drop points?!

We're still favourites.

GwilDor

I've not seen any tweet. Purely anecdotal on my part. Just an observation that I've been preaching to friends. Happy to be proven wrong but it really feels that way.
He was referring to a James Ducker tweet from yesterday. This calendar year, when Chelsea has dropped points and we played later the same day, or the day after, we’ve managed these results (by memory): L L L D D

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
We’re definitely on the right way that’s for sure.
Top 4 will probably be decided on the last day and I really hope we’re up for it.

Soyuncu out for Leicester’s last 3 games could be crucial.
Leicester are fecking awful right now and are down to the bare bones defensively.

Lost bear

Bullshit.
I think we watched different games- Lindelof played well, cut off numerous inbound shots/ passes through his positional intelligence. I don’t think his play is appreciated on here, as he is not a Vidic style defender.

alexthelion

It's funny that everyone is saying bruno and pogba were bad. But guess what, we looked worse without them. That's the standard of them vs the rest of the team.

We desperately need a GOOD center back this window and also another midfielder.
And a goalie.

Shit pass to Pogba for the first and non existent when the cross came in for the equaliser. VDS or Schmeiks would have gobbled that up, no problem.

Scholesgoals

Its not constructive. Its just bile for the most part. Its why this forum has been unreadable for most of the season.

Watch the Ole out thread grow by 20 pages overnight because we didn't win. Its no wonder most of the best posters have left this place.
Agreed - we dont have a god given right to win every game. We werent awful this game, couple of sub par performances, a terrible VAR call (Moss was on VAR!) and some absolute fortune from southampton and we draw vs a very determined Southampton

I hate southampton

Siorac

I always thought "constructive" is a bit of a weird expectation from a football forum: nothing we do or say has any effect whatsoever. It's not like our constructive criticism or well-reasoned feedback will improve the team...

We played absolute shite when we had a glorious opportunity to take control of the CL race. Of course people will be fuming. We just need to vent. Things will calm down a bit in a day or two (until we shit ourselves at Palace).

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Despite how poor he was, we out right collapsed when Pogba came off.
Because as off form as he was, he was the only player we had in midfield.

We needed to bring on someone to help him in place of Matic who was doing absolutely nothing except getting in Maguire and Lindelof's way.

It was so obvious it was painful. As soon as Pogba's number appeared for Fred my heart sank as it was confirmation we weren't going to fix the problem.

DevilRed

Did they play the same starting 11 5 games in a row though? Either way, i still think it means we need more depth in creativity, rather than expect significantly better fitness from Bruno/Pogba.
Thats where OGS really messed up today.

We could have rotated some players (i.e. Greenwood/Matic/Lindelof) and put on some fresh legs. Maybe change up the formation a little to throw off the opponent.

I understand he wants continuity, but with so many matches in a row, you can clearly see our fitness levels diminishing with every match.

RC89

He was referring to a James Ducker tweet from yesterday. This calendar year, when Chelsea has dropped points and we played later the same day, or the day after, we’ve managed these results (by memory): L L L D D
Ah okay. No surprises there.

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 335 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Man Utd 3:0 Southampton