Post-match discussion

Sun, 29 November 2020

redom

Don't call it a comeback,
Cavani's gonna knock you out!

M Bison

Supports
York City
Huge win against a very good team. We were the better side and deserves the 3 points and probably should have won more comfortably.

Absolutely delighted with that win, and particularly the performance.

Feel like Rashy needs a rest though, looks off the pace and is struggling to make an impact.

Thank god for Bruno and Cavani!

GenZRed

Great all-round performance from the team. we were the better team until Southampton's first goal and did well to come back.

Loved the pressure we applied towards the end of the game when we were chasing the winner. Also happy with our management of the game after we scored the winner.

Strelok

What a match. For me it's like eternity that we could come back and won after 2-0.

Credit to Ole and CAVANI :devil: :devil: :devil:

Terrible first half. A bit slog overall, for about an hour a boring watch unless you're an opposition fan wanting to see us lose. Then we finished strong after Fernandes' goal just before the hour and we were actually impressive in terms of our will to win and Cavani's sub performance after that. We deserved the 3 points but for almost an hour we didn't look like a good team at all.
Disagree. First 15/20 mins we were on top and Southampton didn’t create anything apart from set pieces.

Ronaldo's Love Child

We will never win a major trophy if we still believe Martial and Rashford are our primary attackers.

Rashford is still 23 but in real danger of plateauing and could become thenext Jesse Lingard unless he realises he still has a lot to learn and improve. Martial is too inconsistent and, dare I say it, moody and emotionally fragile.

Today, Cavani has demonstrated how a cutting edge, even from a veteran player, can transform our team.

podurban2

Beautiful turnaround! Win our game in hand now and we're only 3 points behind Liverpool.

Satisfying to beat those dirty Soton players, particularly Romeu.
Nope we will actually only be 2 points behind (21 vs 16 with a game in hand)

sugar_kane

To all the people who stated in the match day thread that they had turned it off at 2-0. :lol::lol: that is why you give it the full 90 whatever.
Ironically I turned it on at 0-2, as I had to nip out during the first half.

Edinson Cavani eh, not bad for a panic buy.

RashyForPM

Cavani single-handedly turned the game. Probably his lucky boots the ones he told the staff to get at HT. What a win! :drool:

always_hoping

Buzzing after that, like the United of Old in that 2nd half.

Didn't deserve to be behind at half time nevermind 2-0 behind but credit to the players they didn't drop the heads and got a deserved 3 points and club record 8 away wins in a row.

Cavani the clear MOTM. Two goals and created the 3rd. His movement in the box is Van Nistelrooy like.

Last edited:

AttackAttackAttack

We look a different team when we have a 9 as the focal point. Glad Cavani can fill in while martial is injured/off form.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Get in. I love a comeback win more than anything else in football. There is definitely character in this team. I think we've been behind in every away win this season.

Match wise good first 20 minutes. Well set up for this opponent, and I thought we were very unlucky to be 2-0 down, but i never felt we were out of it.

Chuffed for Cavani. Obvious MOTM, but Fred and the two centre backs were very good too.

8 away wins in a row in the league. 4 wins on the trot now. On we go.....

SuperiorXI

Good comeback, bruno influential again. I remembers when fan on here was complaining about our transfer business. Cavani seems like a great addition so far. Woodward and our transfer committee deserve credit.
He's an amazing player Bruno... felt that was arguably his worst game but still he produces. What a player.

lysglimt

Scout
Best 45 minutes we have played in a long time - this is a good Southampton-team and we destroyed them

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
I honestly don’t think we were that bad in the first half.

The first corner was genuinely superb and the free kick should have been avoided completely.

The sort of game where you take the three points and scarper.
Correct. We have been the most threatening team all game long. We could, and probably should have 5 goals here. That is a really good performance against a team that has had a very good season.

ManUtd1999

You’ll get the nobheads saying this thread was a disgrace but most people said we’d been unlucky, played some great stuff and could pull it back if we played like we did in the first 20...and we did and it’ll do the players so much good.
Agreed. I was optimistic after going down.

Great win with the kind of spirit that l used to see from Manchester United. Our away form is impressive, and it’s time to sort out our home form.

December_16

Great stuff! Determination and grit in this team that I havent seen for a long time. Classic United.

Could’ve scored a few more if we were just a bit more clinical.

ghagua

Shows you the importance of having an actual striker, not someone who does the fancy stuff and pull wool over everyone's eyes. You need a fecking striker who puts the ball in the back of the net!!!!

Way to go Bruno and Cavani.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
So happy for Cavani to come on and turn around the game like that. Very well deserved win.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
2% for Bruno and 1% for Fred in MotM. Must be oppos or David Icke-style crackpots to have such a distorted worldview as that :lol:

Coops73

I’d lost the faith in the first half but I was Ole at the wheel by the end.

Cavani MOTM obvs

Suvvernmanc

Ironically I turned it on at 0-2, as I had to nip out during the first half.

Edinson Cavani eh, not bad for a panic buy.
There was someone who said, 'I'm off to play assassins creed'. :houllier:

He gives us something different that Martial will never give us. His movement in the box is what a proper #9 does to get goals. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Walters_19_MuFc

People were going mad at half time, but we were quite clearly the better team in the first half.

Yes, the chances we had were through mistakes, but we forced those mistakes.

In the second half, I had a feeling that if we got one, we'd go onto win and thats exactly what happened.

Inspired sub by Cavani, who has surely worked his way into our starting XI now, especially in the league.

Great spirit by the boys. Massive win. Buzzing!

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
No one else would take a punt at cavani. He wasnt part of the target Ole identified that he wanted. So, if it wasn’t Woodward and our transfer committee, then who deserve the credit? He has been a smart addition and it was a shrewd business as I stated back then. Much better than relying on Ighalo.
Cavani was available for months, he was a deadline day punt when Woodward and co failed to deliver our first choice targets and knew they'd be riots if nothing was done

In an alternate reality Cavani is playing in Madrid or Portugal right now

zizou81

Happy for the win. Happy that rashford didn't give up and got the assist...but his footballing IQ must be below average. Rarely makes the right pass when on the break. He cant think quick and for some reason fails to see the obvious correct pass.

This goes to coaching. They need to sit him down and go through every attacking play he is involved in. Need to drill it in his head somehow.

fergosaurus

Back in the boom stage of the cycle again.

It looked bleak at half-time (despite us playing well for most of it) but overall a good away performance against tough opposition.

Jeffthered

Some interesting and very emotive comments, naturally. My thoughts are that it was a v poor game in terms of quality (who played well, and I mean on either side ???? ) aside from Cavani, who showed his class.

Don't, please don't tell me we played well, and don't have a go because I make such statements. That was two mid table teams going at it.

I cannot stand OGS as our manager, that's all I think when I watch us. There's nothing about us, at all, Southampton were rubbish. Rubbish.

Can't OGS see how we are playing?? Is he satisfied with this?

I am sorry, and I mean that, but I am not letting a win cloud my judgement. Does OGS really want us to compete for the Premiership title and Champions League? Because I cannot see it in our performances.

We're just another team, relying on inspirational moments. Bruno usually provides that, and today it was Cavani.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Plus, whoever was that poster that was saying "I thought no pogba + vdb in was a win always?", get absolutely fecked.

VdB's passing in tight areas is on another level.

Man of the Match

Edinson Cavani image Edinson Cavani 95% of 418 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 388 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw