PL W FA Premier League

Southampton 2:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 29 November 2020

hubbuh

Some interesting and very emotive comments, naturally. My thoughts are that it was a v poor game in terms of quality (who played well, and I mean on either side ???? ) aside from Cavani, who showed his class.

Don't, please don't tell me we played well, and don't have a go because I make such statements. That was two mid table teams going at it.

I cannot stand OGS as our manager, that's all I think when I watch us. There's nothing about us, at all, Southampton were rubbish. Rubbish.

Can't OGS see how we are playing?? Is he satisfied with this?

I am sorry, and I mean that, but I am not letting a win cloud my judgement. Does OGS really want us to compete for the Premiership title and Champions League? Because I cannot see it in our performances.

We're just another team, relying on inspirational moments. Bruno usually provides that, and today it was Cavani.
BAN THE HERETIC

Goku23

Fantastic come back not seen that in a while the only sour note De Gea injury and apprantly VDB injured as well thats bad news when we have to play PSG next

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Fine margins. We can't have it every way though. Southampton acknowledged across the board as a fine team, Ralf put forward by many on here as a serious contender to replace Ole, we can't give no credit to the team for a recovery like that. Yes there was a really poor 15 minutes or so in the first half but we created enough good chances to win 3 games today. Donny pushing his case as a starter, most economical of our midfielders, good vision today and worked hard off the ball. I don't see how he doesn't start Cavani next game. Not in a million years is Tony making that run for the second goal. I also thought Harry was great today. Back to his best.

Jeffthered

Definitely one of the worst :lol: :lol:
Of course it was.

This forum is something else at times. A sense of intertia amongst some... I would far prefer someone respond with issues relating to the qulaity of the game and the comments made.

Just saying ' worst post....' etc is sloppy, lazy and doesn't really offer the wider forum anything at all. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Tapori

Cavani MOTM. Again.

It's the movement, reading and IQ. Will hopefully teach the lads how to play forward.

Beek was abit peachy. Maguire was marginally better but again, him and matic are really dozy sometimes..

Fernandes was frustrating. in that 2nd half he was trying really poor things when a better pass in the attack was on especially when we were on the break. Should have threaded/attempted it to Cavani.

Rashford was really hit and miss but again showed flashes.

Telles, ok, better crosses

AWB ok

Fred, industrious and a bit better playing foreward in the 2nd half.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Essentially it was quite a comfortable game that we inexplicably gave ourself a 0-2 handicap in.

Thoroughly enjoyed that second half

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Good comeback, bruno influential again. I remembers when fan on here was complaining about our transfer business. Cavani seems like a great addition so far. Woodward and our transfer committee deserve credit.
I complained - openly but I don't think signing Cavani was a mistake. I think perhaps we could have got it done quicker but mentally it looked like we were reacting after missing out on Sancho and then people disappointed will moan about the players we signed. I think we should be more decisive and showed more hunger but maybe we signed him as quickly as we could. I don't know but the club came out looking poor and I think that reflected in our opening to the season. He's looking very sharp right now and I think he can do a job for a number of years with that hunger. We just need to plug the gaps and we'll climb that table.

reelworld

Cavani first goal is just pure class. I don't think any of our strikers would have score that. Lightning quick reaction to anticipate Bruno deflected shot. Martial, Greenwood or Rashford would be too late to do anything

Trequarista10

Even at 2-0 down I thought we were the better team today. Dominated midfield for the most part, created chances (which we wasted in the first half), conceded two set pieces. I knew Ole would be getting criticism for the formation, but it actually worked really well.

Second half, the addition of Cavani means its much more dangerous for teams to sit deep against us. Proper centre forward. Love it.

onemata

I know it is minor point to make but it was a major plus that Ole made the substitution at half time not with ten minutes to go as he usually does
VDB must start

tjb

Well deserved win. Poor defending made the score look worse than the performance actually was for a big portion of the game.
Was it really poor defending. Our defenders were ok. They spotted a weakness in De Gea's weakness commanding his area and a general weakness in the near post.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Cavani was available for months, he was a deadline day punt when Woodward and co failed to deliver our first choice targets and knew they'd be riots if nothing was done

In an alternate reality Cavani is playing in Madrid or Portugal right now
As you stated, he was available for months. We took the risk and got him. I believe he was available for so long because of his huge wage demand that only a few top club could afford and we were the only top club that took a punt on him. Woodward and the transfer comittee could have stuck with ole target of igahlo, but they decided that we needed support and cavani was the right decision at the price. I always had faith in our transfer business, especially recently. Our signing has mostly been on point.

Shimo

That will teach me to say to myself before our first, should have taken Bruno off and kept Greenwood on - thought he had been poor but, goodness me he just comes up with a goal or assist regardless.

As for overall team, thought we were the better team overall. Southampton were not lucky to be up 2-0. Those were absolute quality set pieces by Ward-Prowse and why I was just hoping he'd get sent off after the initial yellow and our 2 big misses with Greenwood early and Bruno with the possible equalizer.

I think Martial is a quality player and don't think he is lazy but, players like Cavani who not only have quality but, also that extra level of effort above most is what really sets most top quality players apart. That hunger and fight. Not sure if we can start him all the time - he has a history of injury but, having him start as much as possible with flanking him with 2 of Martial/Greenwood/Rashford should be as much as possible.

Saddy

Tremendous result that and should really fire us up for the Xmas December period - what a striker Cavani is !

Couple of things we could have done better.

1. Why isn't Telles taking right wing corners ? Especially with Cavani on the pitch ! He was so threatening in his 1st match from there.
2. Bruno showed some silly greediness today trying 50 yard chips and shooting from too far out - also point 1 taking right wing corners !

Overall top class come back when we were looking spent at the start of the 2nd half

fergieisold

Some interesting and very emotive comments, naturally. My thoughts are that it was a v poor game in terms of quality (who played well, and I mean on either side ???? ) aside from Cavani, who showed his class.

Don't, please don't tell me we played well, and don't have a go because I make such statements. That was two mid table teams going at it.

I cannot stand OGS as our manager, that's all I think when I watch us. There's nothing about us, at all, Southampton were rubbish. Rubbish.

Can't OGS see how we are playing?? Is he satisfied with this?

I am sorry, and I mean that, but I am not letting a win cloud my judgement. Does OGS really want us to compete for the Premiership title and Champions League? Because I cannot see it in our performances.

We're just another team, relying on inspirational moments. Bruno usually provides that, and today it was Cavani.
You need some glasses. That was a pure team performance second half. Granted the moments of excellence were needed, but they would not have happened without the whole team turning in a performance after the break.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Was it really poor defending. Our defenders were ok. They spotted a weakness in De Gea's weakness commanding his area and a general weakness in the near post.
So they exploited a weakness in the weakness of his general weakness

AneRu

Expected a tough match but we handled them pretty well even though we pretty much got ourselves in trouble. Cavani dug us out once again and shows us what we are missing from not having a truly world class striker in his prime.

Great result against a tough team and new players integrating well. Happy to see us pick some points.

simplyared

We had more of a cutting edge today. Didn't think we deserved to be under by 2 goals. Fred's best game in a utd shirt. First time I've seen him play with so much intent. He played a key role for us today. I take back the stick I've given him before. For the time being anyway;)

GiddyUp

I hope Ole learned something today. Play your best on the front foot from the start and give the opposition something to think about. These shitty first halves have to stop. Great comeback and I am glad to be wrong about us signing Cavani. We have fantastic players that just need sensible coaching and Ole showed that today by taking Greenwood off at half time. If we can get some consistancy on a level like the send half we can only get better.

Godfather

God I'm so happy. I like Hasenhüttl as a manager but I hate this Soton thugs.

Deserved win today. Need to work on these set pieces though (defensively). If DDG doesn't learn how to come out and control his five yard box, bench him.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Let this be testament to that we never ever will rely on Martial or Rashford as our main striker again. Cavani has in two matches in a row showed that we are a different team with a real striker up front.

He plays simple. Lays it off quickly and thereby allowing the reciever of the ball time and space to find a good pass up the field. He works hard and clever without the ball. He positions himself very good. Is often open for a pass. Martial and Rashford are runners and doesn't have the natural instict of holding the ball up allowing the rest of our team time to get up field. And in addition, he is a fox in the box.
I was saying earlier in the week we needed a world class CF more than a world class Winger.

lex talionis

That is a very funny post. I assume it is a joke but very funny either way. Sounds like the ramblings of a lunatic.
That’s what I thought at first too, but when it became apparent he was serious it was immediately a WPOTY candidate. Definite lunacy.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Why does Rashy always need a rest?

I remember saying the same thing most of last season, maybe even the one before.

He should be one of the fittest players out there but seemingly always needs a rest because he's not 100%.
Good point, perhaps not necessarily a rest but taking out of the side to “freshen up” for a game or two. To me just looks like he’s missing a bit of bite and aggression.

Man of the Match

Edinson Cavani image Edinson Cavani 95% of 418 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 388 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw