PL D FA Premier League

Stoke City 2:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 09 September 2017

itso 7

We have not improved much in attack and I believe it will show over the course of the redst of the season. We might just have been lucky with the flattering first two fixtures. It is the same stuff again.
Ya we could do with a special talent in attack against such defences because Lukaku was way too isolated imo.

MuranoLover

International breaks always give a negative trend , guys have trained for 3-4 days after 10 days of training and combining with other partners , so little disorganization is always a possibility

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Tbf we didnt use to beat them with ease. Even in Fergy days they were mostly tight games.
Yep, people tend to forget this, perhaps mis-remembering that we've often beaten them at home.

By the time you add in Hughes and Stoke fans/players treating it as their cup final, the ground itself being on top of a hill ensuring windy conditions, and the way they are always a niggly hard working physical outfit, a draw isn't to be scoffed at.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
How did we do? Couldn't watch the game unfortunately.
Frustrating game where we didn't create enough. Too many flat sideways passes or hopeful long balls down the channels. Stoke's attackers did really well and made a mockery of our defensive record this season.

Jones made costly mistakes for both goals. Although I think Valencia was the only defender not at fault for their first.
Matic had his worst game for us so far. Lukaku scored but should have had a second from a beautiful cross from Martial.

And then towards the end Butland seemed on a one-man mission to eat up as much time as possible. Not that it mattered too much, because we could have played another 45 minutes and Stoke were just as likely to win as we were.

Overall, we just didn't have enough control or creativity on or off the ball.

Irrational.

International break does us in again. Looked very disjointed throughout the side. Lacked some physicality and seems mentally slow.

Two stupid goals from shit defending on our end.

Although, there was a foul on Pogba in the lead up to the corner for the second goal. Fletcher elbowed the back of the head, play should have been stopped.

Conveniently, the play was stopped for Wimmer in the 91 min leading to dropball back pass cancelling out our momentus. Was definitely some bullshit.
I noticed that too. And Wimmer went down fecking cheaply at that. Shitehawk bogey club.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
not the first top 6 team to drop points there this season, won't be the last. Points in matches following this one will determine whether or not we should look at this as points dropped or not.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
We've played 3 sides who have been happy to contain us and get something through set pieces/counter attacks yet managed 10 goals in those 3 games... and you think we still have something wrong with our attack? Granted its not perfect but if you cant see the improvement then i dont know what to say!
Too small a sample. Looking at the opponents and how some of those matches went (second game sudden last 15 minute collapse from swansea) I am doubting whether we truly have become this sudden attacking force with largely the same players in attack. We shall see. We looked okay in the first three games last season as well.

Blind

No idea why Mata didn't start, Herrera was just an extra body. Also Rojo can't come back soon enough.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We looked well off the pace in that game, the Internationals clearing have an affect on that front. Stoke played like they were in cup final raising their game to unseen levels. They deserve credit for attacking us rather than sticking 11 men behind the ball though, don't think Jose or the United players were expecting that.

Jose will be furious with the manner in which we conceded both goals and rightly so, he moulds his teams on defensive stability and today we were a far cry from that. Jones and Darmian were particularly poor Bailly wasn't a great deal better. Still could be worse, we didn't lose the game at least and I liked the fight we showed in that second half despite the tired legs.

Away at Stoke after an International break was never going to be a smooth ride.

dakingpin1999

Darmian is so bad and does nothing. Hope jose gives shaw a run in the team when he is fit, he is a massive upgrade on darmian even if jose doesnt fancy him. Utd showed too much respect to an awful stoke side and utds two centre backs went missing. Lukaku shoud have buried that chance to win the game but he will miss easy chances thats him. Two points dropped against the first real test of the season. Hope its not like last season win 3 on the bounce then go missing for the next games.

Sigma

Some fans are so knee jerk it's hilarious.
I know. They do it even when we win.

Away to Stoke right after an international break isn't exactly going to be a walk in the park. We created the most chances and should still have won despite letting in two.

Our rivals will struggle to get wins there too. They are a very physical team and are well organised.

I should really avoid these threads after matches to be honest. Too many overreacting bell ends.
Agreed.

Katalinski

• bailly totally unfocused during the first Stoke goal
  • Jones fell like a big sack of shit at their second
  • our crosses were awful
  • Lukaku needs too many chances
  • and what would we do without De Gea?

Betson

Stoke are First half decent side we met and they exposed us defensively , to be honest other teams had as well , they just could not take advantage of it.

We give up a lot of chances and you cannot win the premiership doing that, we are better going forward this season but we are still a bit off been able to challenge realistically for a title.

We are going in the right direction but still some serious work needed.

izec

Well, two points dropped and we are unstable as it gets. Back to dropping points in games we should be winning. We have improved a bit, but not enough to win consistently and get the title

Son Of Sam

1) Valencia gets the ball with an ocean of space in the final third.

2) He waits till he's marked.

3) He then tries to run the ball to the bye line to deliver a cross when he's closely marked.

4) Rinse & repeat!

Valencia is very happy with winning a corner than putting in a quick cross for his team to score.

There's a reason SAF preferred Rafael to Valencia in the RB position. From what I have seen in the last 2 seasons, Valencia costs us at least 2 points per each game we have not won.

Dude is a liability.

caid

Some ropey and some below par performances but tbh just thought stoke were quite good and earned their draw.

JohnnyKills

So after 4 games in the league your conclusion is that we play ugly hoofball style. Not sure we're watching the same stuff.
I don't know mate, what are you watching?

If you're not convinced, count the number of times one of our defenders whacks it long in the next game. You'll see what I mean.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Poor peformance. We still have an issue with passing in between the lines and spend far too much time passing side to side and back. I also think Jose made mistakes. Pogba has pretty much never had a good game as a 10 and it was no surprise to see him below par. Mkhitarian should play centrally and Martial could have come on earlier. Jose just needs to be a bit braver.

That said, our defending was terrible.

LoneStar

To think we played a three of Herrara, Matic and Pogba and we managed to have even less control of the game.
Think Jose got it wrong. We should have played Mata instead of Herrera today. We showed them too much respect. Pogba needs to be a bit deeper to have more influence in the game. He goes missing when he's out high up the pitch.

AXVnee7

Mark Hughes will be smug now thinking he's 'figured us out', as will Merson given his comments in his predictions :mad:

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
12 goals in 4 league games v 50 odd the entire laat season. Okay!!
4 games of which two were rubbish opposition and one we flattened last season in the same fixture... too small a sample.

Borden

Stoke played a great game and played their hearts out (as usual against us) to be fair. Disappointed, but at least we didn't lose. 10 out of 12 points is a great return regardless.

AdnanRED

Schoolboy defending today from Bailly and Jones. The Southgate effect is probably still fresh with him and Bailly was so quite poor today, tbh everyone was poor i cant pick out one player who stood out. Now lets see Choupo Moting not score again until he plays vs us at OT.

Im sick of our LB situation too, get shaw fit or let young play or even give demi mitchell a chance man. Also mkhi is a 10 and is wasted on the right we need a proper winger or start playing rash there with martial on the left.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Reality check. It's by no means a terrible result but it's time to come to terms with our limitations and find a way to neutralise them as best we can.

Bringing the extra man into midfield backfired as Herrera was poor (he's not played much football so doesn't deserve to be treated too harshly) and when combined with our lack of productivity in wide areas we were always going to struggle to create. Add in some keystone cops bullshit at the back and frankly we've done well to come away with a point.

I gave Darmian MotM and, though you could reasonably argue I should be sectioned, I think he produced some good football in the second half and wasn't too bad defensively across the 90 barring a poor spell for their first goal. It could have been DDG but I went for Matteo, and that it came down to what I would call a good display from our stand in LB or our keeper shows how little was going for us.

The team looked imbalanced and worryingly sedate when we should have been trying to transition as quickly as possible, while quite a few individuals looked off colour. Pogba was poor, Matic was ok but not offering anything going forward, Mkhi (assist aside) didn't do enough and Lukaku missed some good chances and lost the ball in frustrating fashion. Bailly and Jones were all over the place at times and we should see it as a positive that Jose will have to try something new in the upcoming CL game.

Given it's by far our worst performance of the season I suppose a point away at Stoke isn't bad, we can get our feet back on the floor and have a serious look at ourselves without harming our league position too much.

Walters_19_MuFc

Not sure why we changed our formation against Stoke. A 4231, against Stoke's 343 would have still meant 2v2 in the midfield.

God knows if we would have won or not if we started with a 4231, but was very surprised when I saw that we brought in Herrera for Mata.

As it was, we played a 433, and never really looked convincing, both going forward and defensively.

Stoke, from the off, got in behind our back four with ease, which was a bit of a surprise, considering we've looked pretty solid in previous games.

Two of their goals, to me, could have easily been avoided.

We did create our own chances, though, and got into good positions, especially down Stoke's left channel, but we didn't really make much of it.

Thought we would have gone on to win the game, having gone a goal ahead, but it wasn't to be.

Looked very poor defending set pieces today, which I guess is something Jose will be working on in training.

Even when it went to 2-2, I thought we were going to get the winning, with the best chance coming to Lukaku, who, on another day, would have scored that.

That said, I think overall a draw was a fair result. Stoke have been a hard place for us of late, and today was the same.

Guess the positive was we didn't lose, and we continue to remain unbeaten.

Now onto the Champions League. :D

Ban

I don't know mate, what are you watching?

If you're not convinced, count the number of times one of our defenders whacks it long in the next game. You'll see what I mean.
I will and I will get back to you. We played some nice stuff in this years games. And in the first half of last season. Not scoring was our biggest problem not our hoofball style which didn't exist even.

AN17

Don't want to sound too moaning, but we were poor. That left side is a worry, zero quality attacking wise from Darmian and a bit shaky defensively. Apart from the goals and a few clever runs from Lukaku and Rashford, we looked devoid of ideas. Needs to improve.

AkaAkuma&

Jose has always won the league when he has won the first 4 games in a row, so United are still far off. TBH should have got another serial goal scorer. Have been saying this for ages, cannot depend only on Lukaku.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I know. They do it even when we win.

Away to Stoke right after an international break isn't exactly going to be a walk in the park. We created the most chances and should still have won despite letting in two.

Our rivals will struggle to get wins there too. They are a very physical team and are well organised.

I should really avoid these threads after matches to be honest. Too many overreacting bell ends.
The guy Kevin, who says that 3 games (the wins) is "too small a sample size", yet after one game we haven't won reckons we aren't good enough attacking wise!
It's like he didn't notice we did score 2 at Stoke today, which is the first time in 5 years we have done.

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 548 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Stoke win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Stoke 0:2 Man Utd
  • 20% Stoke 1:2 Man Utd