PL L FA Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 31 January 2018

MrBest

Today was the day city won the league. Players obviously don't want it. It worrying cause pogba sanchez matic, all key men, were bought by jose. No leadership. I bet sanchez is gutted. Wont get a win bonus now!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He tried not to be effective. Not sure how the BBC managed to tweet he was our most dangerous player on the pitch late in the game. I think they may have been suggesting a danger to ourselves. I would have taken Martial off instead of Lingard, at least Lingard offers some sort of defence.
Martial was literally the only player who had some positive moments in the game. How the feck can you blame Martial for that clusterfeck of a selection and tactics from Mourinho? He played an attacking midfielder in a double pivot and a 32 year old winger at left back. What does he expect to happen.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
As good as spurs were tonight, watch them get hammered at Anfield at the weekend. It's a fecking graveyard for teams that play open counter attacking football.

Z1L3

Supports
Partizan Belgrade
Worst performance of the season, by far.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
He tried not to be effective. Not sure how the BBC managed to tweet he was our most dangerous player on the pitch late in the game. I think they may have been suggesting a danger to ourselves. I would have taken Martial off instead of Lingard, at least Lingard offers some sort of defence.
Don't agree with you about Martial. However, do agree Lingard should have stayed on. Would have taken off Lukaku instead.

wolvored

I think its tough to be too hard on Jones. He is willing and full of heart, if a bit awkward. The second goal was just bad luck. The first on was well worked, but the second was a bit heartbreaking. What a little dog Deli Ali turns out to be.
It wasnt bad luck hes a professional footballer and should be practicing using both feet. He kicked it with the wrong foot to clear it. Saying that he should have played in Smallings place and the left footed Rojo in his.

Djemba-Djemba

The really depressing thing is I was actually feeling optimistic about tonight and about Utd in general.

And then we go and do that.

That's actually been a recurring theme since Fergie went. Right when it looks like we may have cracked it or we've got some good momentum we then immediately feck up.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
People complain when we play 3 midfielders and say we are too defensive. But when we play 2 and loose it's we should of played 3. Jose was going for a win tonight hence the attacking line up. Unfortunately our whole team didn't turn up and accepted they lost the game after 11 seconds. The players keep banging on about wanting to get as close to city as possible but none of them look like they actually care. Sanchez was the only one putting in some effort. The rest can hang their heads in shame.

That's fake news. People who complain don't generally complain because we play 433, they complain when we show absolutely no desire to win a match. 433 isn't an inherently defensive lineup, so that's not the complaint at all. It's probably our best system for most matches and would've probably served us better tonight.

We were clearly getting overrun in midfield and a 433 would have helped stymie Tottenham's attack somewhat. It wasn't a case of going for it or not going for it, we were just tactually outclassed and our manager didn't do anything about it all night. The players were poor and so was he.

wolvored

Today was the day city won the league. Players obviously don't want it. It worrying cause pogba sanchez matic, all key men, were bought by jose. No leadership. I bet sanchez is gutted. Wont get a win bonus now!
They won it about 2 months back. Wouldnt have made a bit of difference if we had have won tonight. They were never going to lose 4 games and we certainly wouldnt have gone on winning every game left.

Sanchezter

There's no denying it was a dreadful performance and the ones who come out of this best are those that didn't get off the bench - Rojo and Shaw in particular!

Martial was as bad as anyone out there but to say he was actively trying to be ineffective is unfair, the amount of times Young played the ball behind him or into spaces where he had no chance of winning it was shocking but unfortunately symptomatic of most of our passing tonight.

Patrick220571

Still second so basically an unimportant game for us, and I could care less about Spurs because they still wont win anything and they just celebrated like they won the CL.
You can't win big games when your defenders make mistakes within 20-30 seconds of the game.
What I would really like is that a part of our fanbase to feck off and support Pep, City, Pochettino or whoever the feck they really support because reading some of the stuff here is really cringeworthy.
What do you really want people to say? That was unacceptable and people have a right to vent it. It's not as if this was a one off, it's been going on for 4 years now.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
This to a tee. We generally win games either only through flashes of individual brilliance or sheer physicality. When this fails against teams who are close to us in terms of individual quality and coached better we have no chance.

Being bottom of the premier league table in terms of distance run epitomises the negative mentality that has been instilled in this team.
Yeah i would agree with a lot of that. We do show some great individual brilliance at times because we got some great players, but as a whole it's just not there. Or it's certainly not there on a consistent basis. I think we are moving in the right direction, but very slowly and there's still some glaring issues that needs sorting out.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Why Martial zero?! He at least tried when he saw the ball - which was bloody rare.
He didn’t try at all. Never seen such a half-arsed performance ever in my lifetime. It was a not-arsed performance.

wolvored

The really depressing thing is I was actually feeling optimistic about tonight and about Utd in general.

And then we go and do that.

That's actually been a recurring theme since Fergie went. Right when it looks like we may have cracked it or we've got some good momentum we then immediately feck up.
I had a fiver on 1-2 with Sanchez scoring. Even after they scored early and before the second I was still a little confident. How wrong was I lol

PoTMS

That was abysmal. And yet it doesn’t hurt as much as it would have in the Fergie era. I’d normally wallow in despair and have a complete media blackout but I’ll probably forget about this by tomorrow. These false dawns have worn me down, I tell ya.

Zlatattack

Is anyone else a bit pissed off with Paul Pogba for not being effective in a midfield two? I just don't think it's acceptable.

It's like a bus driver saying he can only drive a diesel bus not an electric one. Or he can't drive coaches on a motorway journey very well.

I can't think of many world class midfield players who have only 1 effective position. Ozil maybe.

siw2007

I’ve got no complaints about the result, the best team won. But I’m furious with the performance, we were outplayed everywhere.

Tactically was bizarre as well. We showed very little respect in our line up, there was no balance whatsoever. Jose must take blame here.

Must respond on Saturday.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
This post is beyond rubbish. Normally don't comment on this kind of stuff but ffs. :rolleyes:

Fooza

You play the hand you've been dealt. You can't get the players we've got to play expansive football. We need much better players on the ball if we're to change the pragmatic approach we have. No one complains when we're winning. Didn't see any complaints during the unbeaten run we just had.
can't or won't. Personally I don't think Mourinho has a clue. He really needs a consistent attacking line, midfield and defence first, then start coaching them to play as a team and not individuals. He can start from there.

Player Ratings

3.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 503 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 31% Tottenham 1:2 Man Utd
  • 13% Tottenham 0:2 Man Utd