PL L FA Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 31 January 2018

Virgil

They got off to the perfect start. Their first goal IMHO was a fluke but credit to them .....it lifted them and after 10 minutes deflated us. Thats life....Thats football. A bad night for us but nowhere near the end of the world. The response from most in the caf makes me realise two things. The first being how old I am the second that the modern fan is unforgiving (I use the word fan deliberately for supporter is something entirely different in my book) To much 'puter and football manager methinks and not enough standing on the terraces. Ah well tomorrow is another day and next week the same folks will be hero's

Ban

When you concede in the 1st minute whole plan goes out of the window. Saying that we should have started with 3 in the mid and Shaw at LB. Also our midfield options need upgrading or adding to depth.

montpelier

the team can't play well in every game - and they certainly didn't tonight, 2-0 flattered Utd I think

agree with what folks are saying about the 3 in MF idea

and finally, that's what you are gonna get with Smalling & Jones sometimes, :( - probably why Jose tries to protect them somewhat, generally speaking

crossy1686

career ending
can't or won't. Personally I don't think Mourinho has a clue. He really needs a consistent attacking line, midfield and defence first, then start coaching them to play as a team and not individuals. He can start from there.
The man has won everything there is to win and you think he needs to work on his coaching ability? You don't get to where he is today without knowing something about coaching a team to play football together. Jesus.

crossy1686

career ending
the team can't play well in every game - and they certainly didn't tonight, 2-0 flattered Utd I think

agree with what folks are saying about the 3 in MF idea

and finally, that's what you are gonna get with Smalling & Jones sometimes, :( - probably why Jose tries to protect them somewhat, generally speaking
Agree with this. I was concerned when I saw both their names in the line-up. They seem to make each other nervous, no chemistry there for some reason.

JohnLocke

That was by far the most pathetic performance I've seen in a long time.

Basically reacting to Spurs the whole game, and badly at that. Slow in possession, poor passing and never looked like scoring after about the 15 minute mark.

Despite the goal I was enjoying the match for the first 20 mins but after that it was genuinely awful.

Sanchezter

Chelsea losing 3-0 at home is the only positive to take from tonight.
Agreed.

My last post of the day so will try to make it a positive.

I'm as disappointed/angry as anyone at the performance tonight and the faint feelings of optimism I had that we could catch City are now long gone.

However, thanks to Chelsea's defeat we're not in any immediate danger of dropping out of the top 2.

Liverpool play Spurs this weekend so we don't have to wait long for another of our top 4 rivals to drop points... We just have to make sure we capitalise by winning our next game.

Reactions: SteveJ

dave1956

Manager cannot be blamed for conceding a goal within 11 seconds of the start, that is down to a lack of professionalism, from our players. How many games have we conceded goals within the first 5 minutes of the start.

We clearly lack leaders on the pitch and have not had a strong on field captain for some time, it appears that these days players are fearful of upsetting fellow players by giving them a good rollicking when basic errors are made.

Utd up to the last few years have always had strong captains who were not afraid to grab a game by the neck if the game plan was going wrong and change it whilst in play. Now if the pre match tactics are not working no one is prepared to take responsibility and change things or direct play.

Last edited by a moderator:

Devil77

One of the worst games I have ever seen. Cannot remember us being so totally outplayed since the CL finals vs. Barcelona '09 and after. Maybe during the dark ages of Moyes...

The defence was shambolic, the midfield was non-existent. Pogba was the very definition of a luxury plaver (which is some sort of Cafe buzzword). Has he ever performed when we are trailing and in need of someone stepping up? Matic was slow and too casual with the ball. Lukaku was clueless and mostly ran around without getting a pass (except for the numerous high balls that he failed to control). Martial was back to his "meh"-mode. Young started the game well, but was too isolated on the left side. Alexis tried hard but to no avail. This "tactics" of ours of relying on individual skills backfired (as it has numerous times before).

Was really sad to see to be honest. It's ok to lose a game. But it is not ok to not even try. And once again we showed that when falling behind we are painful to watch.

SpyLuke10

One of the worst games I have ever seen. Cannot remember us being so totally outplayed since the CL finals vs. Barcelona '09 and after. Maybe during the dark ages of Moyes...

The defence was shambolic, the midfield was non-existent. Pogba was the very definition of a luxury plaver (which is some sort of Cafe buzzword). Has he ever performed when we are trailing and in need of someone stepping up? Matic was slow and too casual with the ball. Lukaku was clueless and mostly ran around without getting a pass (except for the numerous high balls that he failed to control). Martial was back to his "meh"-mode. Young started the game well, but was too isolated on the left side. Alexis tried hard but to no avail. This "tactics" of ours of relying on individual skills backfired (as it has numerous times before).

Was really sad to see to be honest. It's ok to lose a game. But it is not ok to not even try. And once again we showed that when falling behind we are painful to watch.
I remember us getting totally outplayed by Southampton at home under LVG...

El Zoido

Depressing but true comment I saw on reddit: So to sum up the second half. Tottenham spent the whole thing trying to set up Kane for a goal as if it were a training session and still dominated us. That is just how bad we were.

Mick1

I missed the match.
Can anyone tell me what happened with Fellaini and why would Jose be upset with it

Pacificgi

Bad performance, think we know that from now on we need to play 3 cm in the middle. I think when you have such a bad start you need a big response. Never turned up, Spurs were comfortable. Hopefully a bad night and we bounce back with a bit more structure at Huddersfield.
I think we knew beforehand we need to play 3 in the middle against the big teams

We played our best attacking players and tbh it simply didnt work. Obviously there is giving sanchez time to bed in to take into account with that formation but weve always had doubts with that formation against big teams whoever plays.

If things dont go well, we cant really change formation as weve already began with an attacking side.

433 needs to be the way forward for the big games, stating the obvious it packs the midfield, frees up pogba and if we're looking for a goal at least we then have the option to go more attacking by subbing a midfielder. I was surprised jose didnt do that tonight

kul m

Why do we spend £90+ million on a player of the quality of Paul Pogba and still play him in a 2 man midfield?

At Juve he flourished in a 3. He can not play that role that Mourinho wants him to play beside Matic, he doesn't have the discipline to.

Matic looks so one paced, makes Carrick look quick.

Again Lukaku being found out, he needs to boss the defenders.

rant over

Devil77

I remember us getting totally outplayed by Southampton at home under LVG...
True! But back then we didn't have Pogba, Lukaku, Sanchez, Matic and Mourinho. I mean, we really should not lose a game like this, without even trying. Did we win a single one-on-one challenge?

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Would be funny if it was true, problem is the first 8-9 seconds were shocking too...

Wow, i'm really surprised how calm and collected Jose was in that interview :eek: Nothing controversial at all!
Good. Not time for him to have a meltdown. He needs the team to move on quickly.

Heinzesight

Agree with this. I was concerned when I saw both their names in the line-up. They seem to make each other nervous, no chemistry there for some reason.
Their nervousness is infectious. De Gea looked shaky with those two helmets in front of him and it just spread throughout the team.

When we concede a very early goal we never seem to recover. This game reminded me of Chelsea away last season when we conceded in the first 30 seconds. We just go to pieces and it shows a big lack of confidence. Smalling and Jones shouldn’t happen again. Sooner see Blind or Carrick at the back.

Tmac1090

True! But back then we didn't have Pogba, Lukaku, Sanchez, Matic and Mourinho. I mean, we really should not lose a game like this, without even trying. Did we win a single one-on-one challenge?
Southampton har outplayed us with Mourinh as well, but we've managed to get three points, I guess that's the big difference.

RedMane

Supports
Liverpool
It's central midfield not left back. I don't think it's unfair to expect a supposedly world class player to be able to put in a shift in more than 1 formation.
Well for half a million a week Sanchez should be playing where ever Mourinho wants him to play, not only that he should be cooking food for the players, wash kits and cut the grass at Old Trafford.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Just back from the game.

When you concede in the first minute, the whole gameplan is off the table, let alone away at a top team. I feared it'd be another Chelsea 4-0 away job, and could easily have been.

Yes we had a hot 10min spell after, but only 1 Lukaku effort in the second half and that was that.

Not as annoyed with the defeat as with others though, perhaps surprisingly.

Positive is that Sanchez will be a real threat in games where he can pick the ball up closer to goal than 50 yards off!

arthurka

Would be funny if it was true, problem is the first 8-9 seconds were shocking too...

Wow, i'm really surprised how calm and collected Jose was in that interview :eek: Nothing controversial at all!
He is getting used to this kind of performances v the top 6 teams..

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He goes attacking against one of the strongest defence and goes negative against one of the weakest (Liverpool)

All we needed was a 3 man midfield with someone marking Eriksen. They werent even that great .

What the feck was that pressing. Sanchez was telling them this is not how you press.

No matter how we do against minnows if we cant do it against the best, then you are bad. We should try better defenders in the summer.

Manny

Grammar Police
Rio spot on post match, particularly Kane/Lukaku (3:15), two man midfield (5:07) and Paul Pogba (14:18)

MrSingh2002

Reminded me of the Champs league final when we couldn't touch Barca. Spurs aren't Barca and we should be embarrased by this game for a long time. Most limp performance I think I've ever seen from a Man United team.

Banat

I knew we will lose after so much hype before the game.
Obviously we still need to click, I don't think Martial on the right will ever be as effective as he is on the left.
I hope we never again play Pogba and Matic in a midfield 2 after this game, it just doesn't work against any decent opponent. But who do we bench then?
We don't need a complete overhaul, but defense really worries me. Don't know what to make of Smalling and Jones, they look so average at times.
Can't wait for Bailly to return and form partnership with Rojo, at least they can play football and carry the ball for few yards instead of always looking to back pass to De Gea.

Player Ratings

3.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 503 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 31% Tottenham 1:2 Man Utd
  • 13% Tottenham 0:2 Man Utd