PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:3 Tottenham Hotspur

Post-match discussion

Mon, 27 August 2018

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Agree. I’m beginning to wonder is Mourinho doing it deliberately! Setting us up to show how bad our CBs are...
The same thought did occur to me too! Only it wasn’t just poor defending as a unit. Which you could put down to managerial sabotage. It was diabolical individual errors. Every one of them made defensive errors a 12 year old would be ashamed of. The cherry on top was Jones getting injured. Classic. But it’s ok, lads. Woody reckons Alderweireld (who was immense btw) wouldn’t improve us. So what do I know?!?

Of course, none of this absolves Mourinho from how shit we were going forward. It just confirms that Woodward is making a failing Manchester United’s manager’s job even more difficult than it was already. Happy days! What a time to be alive! :lol:

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Think he looked ill when he walked off. He looked shellshocked.
He did. He isn't blameless in this, I would even say he's far from blameless, but regardless of the personalities involved it's painful to see a United team and a United manager looking like that.

Stubble

Better attacking performance but really looking like we did needed that experienced CB Ed wouldn't cough up for. We just don't have a decent partner for Smalling at the moment plus he's prone to the odd brainfart himself - but must be difficult having a different useless CB partner every game. I would give Smalling/Bailly a run - Lindelof isn't ready yet and not sure if he will ever be 'physical' enough or aerially astute enough for the PL. If we had a consistent pairing that would make a big difference - Jones just can't be one of them he's injured every 3 games. Two tricky away matches up next,things could get messy very quickly if we don't win those.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Mourinho outmourinhoed by Spurs. Less of the ball, fewer shots, still destroyed their opponent.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Exactly. Woodward is a massive tool, why did we even give Jose the extention ? Was there even a real need to do that?
No, there was no need. Jose would have had 1 year left now on his original contract, I think.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
This!! It's too easy to blame JM. Our defence was the difference tonight. They are shocking!! Only Shaw can hold his head high!
the trouble is that it's not just the defence that made the difference. the midfield created nothing, the forwards never looked like scoring. The midfield is the worst I've seen at United since the 1970s. they can't pass, they never look like scoring themselves. they are all defensive-minded and not very good at that either

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He did. He isn't blameless in this, I would even say he's far from blameless, but regardless of the personalities involved it's painful to see a United team and a United manager looking like that.
He's does take some of the blame, but the board have not helped him. Wonder what they thought of Toby's performance tonight?

Bobski

Spurs didn't sign anyone in the Summer but instead of turning the club into a toxic wasteland Pochettino got on with producing a well coached, cohesive and structured team. Utd had a good go at them in the first half, like a lower level team, nothing solid behind it, and as soon as energy levels dropped and the game settled there was only one team that looked like an actual team.

Yes, we need better players but we also need a manager who understands that spending money is not the only way to improve the team.

DaleT

Utter shambles. Luke Shaw the only one with pass marks for me. Pogba was a disgrace, wrote in a different thread much the same. Slow, pathetic, didn’t look interested, gave the ball away, didn’t know where he was playing. It was utterly pathetic. Matic wasn’t much better as well

bescobarrada

A good first half, where we couldn't score our chances. A second bad time, we didn't score where they took every opportunity and in the end they beat us.

MetoTTT

I agree with @ash_86. I fear this game could be the turning point of the season in a bad way unfortunately. I liked the desire.
It's the difference between a team that lacks confidence and another with full confidence.

LoneStar

This is the most relevant point to take from the match today, I think. I mean, we were good in the first half, positive, aggressive, Lingard was used great and played great, and we certainly deserved to be leading.

But Lukaku leaves so much to be wanted in matches like these. He bottles too many chances, and his hold-up play compared to Kane's is just embarrassing. Don't even get me started on his passing. It's like his brain stops working.

I love the guy and his attitude, but with a properly functioning striker this match we would not have entered headless chicken mode
This. Imagine if we had an elite striker like RVP today. Very different outcome.

Lukaku simply isn't a 'clutch' player. Yet to see a single performance where he has dragged the team to victory in a big match.

buckooo1978

Agree with all this and the scary part is: will a new manager make Lukaku score those chances? Will he make our centre backs world class? Sure we’ll have a go but we had a go tonight. At the end of the day is the quality there?
we'd 23 shots but apart from the one where Rose underhit a backpass we didn't create anything clear cut really did we?

The passing, movement and creativity isn't good enough but that is something a manager can fix

It's just a shame where we are right now but I think it's important we are patient

If it was me I'd do whatever it takes to bring someone like Poch to the club - wait to the summer and buy his contract out

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Yeah, terrible that people can appreciate someone playing good football.
It's unacceptable. The only way to react after a defeat is to be petty and childish.

Seriously though. He had a decent game, I was there when (Brazilian) Ronaldo was applauded off the pitch for Madrid in the Champions League, and that seems normal for a truly exceptional performance, and I don't think Moura's was anything like that. But selfies seems weird regardless, a picture of him next to your own big smiling face after he's just destroyed your team.

I doubt home fans were awaiting selfies with Juan Mata after putting two past Liverpool at Anfield.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
the only positive for me is that there were two or three flashes from sanchez that gives me a flicker of hope... just a flicker

LordSpud

The trouble is Woodward couldn't really care when Manchester United can make money regardless of results on the pitch...

Konimey

The tactic tonight was for United to come out all guns blazing, catch Spurs by surprise, grab a goal or two, then defend for the rest of the match and counter. Jose does this tactic every now and then, when he really needs his win, a Hail Mary attempt if you can call it. And to be honest, it would have worked if Lukaku was not such a donkey. But credit to Spurs they weathered the blitz the first half, found their rhythm and then hammered United at OT.
Positives: Shaw was brilliant, the only silver lining in the huge cloud of disappointment that is United.
Negatives: Lukaku is seriously an inconsistent donkey, Pogba is nowhere good as he thinks he is acting like a brat, Alexis is a pale shadow of what he was.These are our best players, all hopeless when the shite hits the fan. Our defense has been utter shite ever since Moyes took over, we need to be so thankful that Dave is our keeper.
All in all United are no better than we were a season ago, infact we have gone backwards. What the hell does Jose do during the training is a complete mystery. But i hope and pray that this is the lowest point this season and that we only go up from here. Otherwise we will be taking over from Arsenal as the new joke club of the PL.

Reactions: Jippy

RuudTom83

Good first half, Poor second half.

Shaw’s performance was a highlight.

DDG has dropped off form slightly so he hasn’t been able to bail the defence out as regularly as in the past.

Pogba and Lukaku were poor. Defence is worrying Jose but that’s not new.

Brush yourselves off and go again next week.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
we'd 23 shots but apart from the one where Rose underhit a backpass we didn't create anything clear cut really did we?

The passing, movement and creativity isn't good enough but that is something a manager can fix

It's just a shame where we are right now but I think it's important we are patient

If it was me I'd do whatever it takes to bring someone like Poch to the club - wait to the summer and buy his contract out
I don't think he'd come to us

Nico87

Who voted Phil Jones for man of the match?, when I looked he was 4th. Was it a spurs fan or does Woodward have an account?

RedDevil@84

It's Jose and the third season implosion, are we really that shocked and naive to think he changed, he's toxic.
Stop quoting superstitions as universal facts. Jose does not wake up in 3rd season and suddenly decide to start wrecking it.
Anyways, Jose teams play brilliantly in 2nd season before the so called 3rd season implosion. That didn't happen.

Jose does not sit and instruct Lukaku to miss open goals.

subotai

I think most of the football was entertaining. The team looked like it was clicking at times but they missed some glorious chances, and when Kane scored, mostly against the run of play (maybe a slight disservice), it just seemed the result was inevitable.

Shaw was very good though, and the fight was there from everyone until the end.

Disappointing result, but nowhere near the worst I've seen.

There's still a lot of work to do for Mourinho, hope he can continue it..:nervous:

Reactions: Jippy

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Someone on MUTV has sent a text in saying the day of the big striker is over. Cannot argue, most teams have smaller, mobile strikers now.

Aresma7

Just like last game against Brighton.. If Lukaku had scored on 0-0 the match could have gone another way. Hes not a top class striker. We’ll never win anything with Lukaku as our main striker.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Nothing to say. Hope we win our next game. I am seriously worried about relegation if we continue like this.

Never mind defence, we can't score to save our fecking lives.

Also, he keeps changing the defence, no one is ever able to settle down there. One mistake and you're hauled off. That doesn't help anyone's confidence. I think he could have got Sergio Ramos and we would still be in a rut. It's just not working.

Canagel

We have a very soft centre. It's just too easy for teams to cut through us whilst we huff and puff to no avail. We try to attack but don't know how to. Spurs were too seasoned and too well drilled for us to handle and that hurts me.

Sentient Meat

I liked Jose's post game interview... if we can win the next two games... the feeling will turn around again.

Player Ratings

4.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 514 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 16% Man Utd 2:1 Tottenham
  • 15% Man Utd 1:0 Tottenham