PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:3 Tottenham Hotspur

Post-match discussion

Mon, 27 August 2018

Red_Aaron

Spurs are a better team than us with a lot of players better than ours, we competed with them well for large parts of the game and should have been ahead at halftime.

The result was probably a little harsh on us but the top teams are clinical.

If we'd shown the energy and application of tonight last week we beat Brighton, and tbf that should be the minimum. If we bring that every week we'll be OK

Spurs are a proper side, but they're the result of several years of building

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Someone on MUTV has sent a text in saying the day of the big striker is over. Cannot argue, most teams have smaller, mobile strikers now.
Absolutely!

Should not have spent all that money on Lukaku.

RedShazzm

Spurs didn't sign anyone in the Summer but instead of turning the club into a toxic wasteland Pochettino got on with producing a well coached, cohesive and structured team. Utd had a good go at them in the first half, like a lower level team, nothing solid behind it, and as soon as energy levels dropped and the game settled there was only one team that looked like an actual team.

Yes, we need better players but we also need a manager who understands that spending money is not the only way to improve the team.
Agree 1000% ! Stop the "mourhino centric". Its awful, loosing is a part of football, but all that toxicity is awful.

Offsideagain

I don’t want to over react but WTF was that all about. First half they looked like a half decent side. Lukaku messed up, again. Heads dropped after the second goal went in. Top four? Top half?

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
It was there for all to see.

Matic almost cost us a goal. Static, slow, almost jogging up and down.

Phil Jones. One penalty incident. Totally lost Kane. Several times when he was out of position. I think at least six or seven passes to DDG. Injured.

Pogba. Strolling around. Nonchalant. Ineffective.

Fred. Lost possession several times. Liability.

Lukaku. Missed an open goal. Clumsy. Ineffective.

Lindelöf. Sell, not good enough. Should be ashamed of himself.

These where the worst but the others didn’t exactly cover themselves in glory. Second half was a nightmare.

Mourinho. Probably lost the dressing room. Out of attacking ideas.

Woodward. An idiot. Hate him.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
If Barca offer a couple of boiled eggs then can take Pogba for all I care

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Agree. I’m beginning to wonder is Mourinho doing it deliberately! Setting us up to show how bad our CBs are...
I think so as well. Last season Mou played deep defensive football in a bid to protect this horrible defence. He took all the slack for not playing the United way. This year he seems not caring about protecting the defence anymore. The message seems to be, 'you let me with this crap, now take the responsibility of it'

Wotspur

Gutted to lose like this after that good first half.
The score flattered Spurs, there were nothing special, we gave them the goals.
I guess we can forget any run for title even maybe top 4.
Shaw MOTD again...
Ok Laukaku should have scored , and if he’d been the shooter John Lennon would still be alive today , but MOura should have had a pen first half.
Second half we were all over you .
Shaw and the ref was your best players

Reactions: Jippy

Zlatattack

It's unacceptable. The only way to react after a defeat is to be petty and childish.

Seriously though. He had a decent game, I was there when (Brazilian) Ronaldo was applauded off the pitch for Madrid in the Champions League, and that seems normal for a truly exceptional performance, and I don't think Moura's was anything like that. But selfies seems weird regardless, a picture of him next to your own big smiling face after he's just destroyed your team.

I doubt home fans were awaiting selfies with Juan Mata after putting two past Liverpool at Anfield.
People are wierd, we live in a culture where everyone wants to document every moment of their life. I've seen people on the hajj pilgrimage, camera phones out, snapping selfies...lol

TheDutchLad

Supports
Feyenoord
Let me get that popcorn ready for another Claude, DT and Troopz rant... Ehhhh:nervous::nervous:

MadMike

People will point at the defence, and rightly so to an extent, but if you don't score you don't win. And we didn't score.

I lay some of the blame on Mourinho for that mess at the back. Why is Jones and not Smalling the man-marking Kane on the corners? The latter is clearly better in the air. And why Herrera at RCB? THe guy has never played there, it's obvious his positioning will be exposed at some time in the match and it will depend on Tottenham to take that chance. Which they did.

Only Shaw a really bright spark. Lukaku's finishing was poor. Matic seemed lethargically slow.

Anyhow, quite disappointing again. I don't where we go from here.

Sir Scott McToMinay

I don’t understand how can this group of players lose at home to spurs 0-3...

I feel like the next match will be a season defining match.
If we lose, we’ll go the Chelsea 15-16 route and it’s curtains on Jose.
If we win, we’ll probably be fine.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
what the feck is JM talking about in interview: "the team fought"? they did no such thing. they are ordinary. full stop

redom

The intent and effort was better, the quality and composure wasn't.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
It's a bit lame to heap the blame on Lukaku. His big chance was by no means a sitter. He shot from a narrow angle and missed by inches, stuff like this happens for all strikers often enough.

minoo-utd

Why giving a man extension and you will not be supporting his needs? We are run by fecking morons. I really crying now for what is happening to us and we still in August!! We have 2 difficult games AWAY and at this point if we can not win then we are a relegation side! Really don't know who to blame. Players like Lukaku and Lingard or that stupid glass player in Jones or Smalling? I can not blame only Jose here. Woodward who's job always safe! Will get away with it.

Bobski

I think so as well. Last season Mou played deep defensive football in a bid to protect this horrible defence. He took all the slack for not playing the United way. This year he seems not caring about protecting the defence anymore. The message seems to be, 'you let me with this crap, now take the responsibility of it'

Jose only cares about Jose. When he goes it will be slinging shit at everyone to protect his own image.

mancan92

Yeah, because it's like a pirate curse thay won't go away. It's not a defined rule in the game you know. Many others factors come into play like Woodward being a fecking idiot, Prima Donnas in the squad like Pogba etc who think they're more powerful and important than the manager.
Mourinho is a cancer and it happens everywhere he goes. Players and club areas loses all confidence in his 3rd season. It cannot be a coincidence. Before this season even started he created the toxic atmosphere with all the transfer stuff.

Rory 7

Spot on

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
This is identical to what happened to Jose at Chelsea. The players just dont want to play for him anymore and can you blame them?

Chelsea wasted a season that year, replaced him and won it the next year. Why waste anymore time on him, sack him now, bring in Zizu, pay him what he wants and maybe just maybe start unlocking the potential of these top players. We might even still be able to launch a title challenge
Stop believing media narratives. The way the team played in the first half proved the team are together.

Whatsername

First half it at least looked like they were trying to atone for the Brighton performance but they just don't have the strength mentally to react when they go a goal behind.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
First half was decent, but don't know what happened in the team talk at half time. Atrocious second half.

Having less than 20% of our shots on target was really poor, the defending was poor, although thought Smalling played well first half.
Jones not at the races, Herrera did some good things but poor positioning cost a goal. Lindelof replaces Jones and as usual totally unaware of what's going on around him.

Having left out completely four players, will Mourinho leave out a different set of four players next match?
Playing one forward and someone who runs around a lot up front is not likely to yield a lot of goals so we have to fall behind before we react, always reactive and not proactive. But we lose 2 quick goals and it's too late, as usual.
I don't think Mourinho knows which combination of players to play and far too often gets the mixture wrong.

Don't like keep changing managers but I think Mourinho is not going to last too long unless we start clicking very quickly.
Stop being a coward and be proactive.

The Purley King

It’s not just the defence that is shit. The midfield was appalling and the attack, well we may have had 20 odd shots but our two best chances were gift wrapped by spurs. We created very little ourselves and not for the first time.
We need someone to coach our attacking play. For the quality of players we have it’s fecking desperate

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
It's a clusterfeck. If he is sacked now the club will have to pay him more now and they don't back him. Just why ???
Stuck in two minds, maybe. They want to keep a "decent" manager who will get top 4 without having to invest a lot. At the same time unwilling to really back him as they perhaps don't believe in him to be a "great" manager.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He's does take some of the blame, but the board have not helped him. Wonder what they thought of Toby's performance tonight?
"He looks a bit of all right. Maybe if we'd read that bit of paper Jose handed us in April instead of wiping our arses on it he could have given us a tip."

To be fair Jose should have been able to get a far better tune out of what he has currently, but I'm firmly against what the board seem to have done in giving him a new contract in January and failing to strengthen a key position for him eight months later.

Addled

It’s interesting that following his confession that his performance was not good enough after the Brighton game that Pogba delivers such a poor performance again tonight. For a player who is seemingly so influential he is contributing nothing. Is his performance level down to his relationship with the manager or is he just not good enough.
Currently his performances are staggeringly poor.
Then you look at Alexis. This guy is stealing a living. His performances since his transfer have in the main been shocking.
If I am right these are two of the highest paid players at the club and their leadership and influence on the other players is non existent. It is hugely disappointing that they can’t perform and that the manager cannot Greg a tune out of them. I despair.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Was a big Mistake starting Matic after basically no pre-season. To throw him into a game like this was a bit naive.

Very impressed with Shaw, looks to be finally grasping his opportunity.

I was satisfied with how we played today. Pretty disappointed to not get a goal or two in the first half but thats just football and it's cruel sometimes.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
I’m not even angry here. Showed up for how poor we really are as a whole. People wanted us to give it a go, we have done and it’s shown up as to why we can’t play that way - atrocious at the back.

Spurs wobbled first 20 but then experience in Toby at the back steadied the ship - we drop heads at the back with no leader communicating.

From board to the u21,setup. We are a shadow of a club. Even if Jose walked or got sacked - changes little as we still need 4 players in and we still have to shift a few lost causes, with cnuts on the board wanting their sponsorship deals first. Long season ahead and we need as much support more now than ever.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Mourinho is a cancer and it happens everywhere he goes. Players and club areas loses all confidence in his 3rd season. It cannot be a coincidence. Before this season even started he created the toxic atmosphere with all the transfer stuff.
You should have been a pirate in the previous life. There's no such thing as a third season curse ffs. The universe does not revolve around Jose Mourinho's third year in a contract.

bdspeedy

How is Jose throwing games as a sign of defiance? Some of you are clearly grasping for excuses. On another note, Kyle Martino was a useless twat of a footballer and a worse analyst.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Stuck in two minds, maybe. They want to keep a "decent" manager who will get top 4 without having to invest a lot. At the same time unwilling to really back him as they perhaps don't believe in him to be a "great" manager.
They are businessmen and from a business POV, indecision like that (assuming you are right of course) is absolutely terrible.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
It's a bit lame to heap the blame on Lukaku. His big chance was by no means a sitter. He shot from a narrow angle and missed by inches, stuff like this happens for all strikers often enough.
and he didn't get one decent pass from out pathetic midfield. no class in there at all

Stookie

Nurse bell end
It is really bad. Everything from the board to the team and manager is really sour. I have no idea what’s happened to Sanchez. Pogba doesn’t look interested. Fred is bang average but it’s ealy days for him. Lukaku is a donkey. These are our star players. Is it all down to the manager? Surely there’s enough talent there no matter what system they in play in to make something happen somewhere?

Player Ratings

4.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 514 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 16% Man Utd 2:1 Tottenham
  • 15% Man Utd 1:0 Tottenham